MI MI - Kim Larrow, 15, Canton, June 1981

My heart always sinks when I read about a missing person who enjoyed hitchhiking. It's so dangerous. I don't think Kim is still alive, although I hope she is. I hate the idea, but I think she took a ride from someone murderous and lost her life. She could have been killed anywhere even months after her disappearance. I sincerely hope my theory is wrong and she has a happy life far from where she disappeared.

Kim Marie Larrow
kim_marie_larrow_1.jpg
kim_marie_larrow_2.jpg

Kim, circa 1981; Age-progression to age 43 (circa 2008)

• Missing Since 06/08/1981
  • Missing From Canton, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 12/17/1965 (55)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5, 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, blue/green eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Kim was last seen on the evening of June 8, 1981. She had recently moved from her father's home on Eggert Road in Dundee, Michigan to her mother's residence on Beaufort Drive in Canton. She was in Canton for only about a week when she vanished.

She was last seen at the ice cream parlor near Sheldon Road and Ann Arbor Road. Kim's best friend worked there and the girls made plans to meet at Haggerty Field in Hines Park that night. She never arrived at the park and has never been heard from again. She wasn't reported missing for several days, and her mother refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Kim's loved ones described her as a rebellious teenager who used drugs and frequently ran away in 1981, but they stated there were no major issues in her life. Much of her family lived in the Ida, Michigan area, and she spent weekends with an aunt there.

In 2018, authorities announced Arthur Ream was a possible suspect in Kim's case and in the disappearances of Cynthia Coon, Kimberly King, Nadine O'Dell and Kellie Brownlee. A photo of Ream:

coon_cynthia_ream.jpg

Arthur Nelson Ream

He was convicted of sexual assault in the 1970s and, in 1986, murdered Cindy Zarzycki, a thirteen-year-old girl who was dating his son. He was convicted of her murder and afterwards, in 2008, he lead authorities to her body, which was buried in a shallow grave 30 miles from Detroit, Michigan.

While in prison, Ream reportedly told cellmates he was a serial killer with four to six victims. In May 2018, police began digging at the same property where Cindy had been buried, expecting to find the bodies of other missing girls there. No human remains were located, however, and the digging stopped after a week.

Kim's father died in 2005, but other relatives are still looking for her. She had no driver's license or Social Security number at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Canton Police Department
  • 734-394-5423
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Detroit, Michigan Office
  • 313-965-2323
Source Information

"Her disappearance is considered a missing person case rather than a crime, as there is no evidence of foul play. " (from the case summary in the post #1)

It is unfortunate that this case and so many others like it are treated in this manner. When a 15 year-old child goes missing, it may be that she ran away, or stayed out late, etc. But when she has not showed up in 30 plus years... You would think that maybe it is something more than a kid missing curfew.

Wish we had more information about this one.
me too i wish more information

poor girl was too young to be using drugs maybe that was really what happened to her but hopefully she didn't suffer much when she was murdered

Considering what the freeway system in the Detroit area was like in 1981, it would have been a long drive from Arthur Ream's stomping grounds to Canton. (I-696 hadn't opened yet.) I haven't seen any evidence that would connect him to this case. If someone could place Ream in the Canton area around that time—if he had a carpet installation job in Plymouth or Canton, for instance—then I'd change my tune.

Considering what the freeway system in the Detroit area was like in 1981, it would have been a long drive from Arthur Ream's stomping grounds to Canton. (I-696 hadn't opened yet.) I haven't seen any evidence that would connect him to this case. If someone could place Ream in the Canton area around that time—if he had a carpet installation job in Plymouth or Canton, for instance—then I'd change my tune.

Ream was all over the Detroit and A2 areas doing installations at that time. IMO PD may have information linking him to the area.

JUN 8, 2022
[...]

Officials said Larrow liked to hitchhike and had run away in the past, so she wasn’t reported missing until several days later, according to the Doe Network. Her mother, who she’d been living with one week before her disappearance, refused to cooperate with the investigation, police said.

Members of Larrow’s extended family said she would always contact someone when she ran off, so not hearing from her for so long was unusual.

In 2018, Larrow’s brother, Brandon Headley, spoke to Local 4 about his sister’s disappearance.

“Kim was a forgotten child by an extremely selfish family,” Headley said. “We all should have been there more for you, and I’ll never forgive myself, ever. I believe I’ll see Kim again someday, and then I’ll be able to tell her how sorry I am.”

[...]

She would now be 56 years old.

Anyone with information about Larrow’s case is asked to call the Canton Police Department at 734-394-5400 or the FBI at 313-965-2323.

JUN 8, 2022
[...]

Officials said Larrow liked to hitchhike and had run away in the past, so she wasn’t reported missing until several days later, according to the Doe Network. Her mother, who she’d been living with one week before her disappearance, refused to cooperate with the investigation, police said.

Members of Larrow’s extended family said she would always contact someone when she ran off, so not hearing from her for so long was unusual.

In 2018, Larrow’s brother, Brandon Headley, spoke to Local 4 about his sister’s disappearance.

“Kim was a forgotten child by an extremely selfish family,” Headley said. “We all should have been there more for you, and I’ll never forgive myself, ever. I believe I’ll see Kim again someday, and then I’ll be able to tell her how sorry I am.”

[...]

She would now be 56 years old.

Anyone with information about Larrow’s case is asked to call the Canton Police Department at 734-394-5400 or the FBI at 313-965-2323No excuse for mom not cooperating with the investigation

Want to hear something sad? The local paper (Observer, IIRC) did a story on her looking for tips, this was about 2.5 years ago. I called the tipline asking if I could do an episode on her. I was the only call that came in about her case.

Poor Kim.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back