GUILTY MI - Mark Baldwin for sex abuse, child *advertiser censored*, Niles, 2010

The concerned citizen who contacted authorities after seeing a photo on the ' social network site. If that person hadn't called authorities, this would still be happening to that poor child.

There were comments under one of the articles from someone claiming to have contacted authorities years ago when the little girl was afraid to go home.

This poor child was failed by many but it only takes one. Finally someone was able to bring attention to her plight.

This is so disturbing!! I just don't understand what makes people do stuff like this. To have sex with your disabled daughter, your baby, the child that you created and brought into this world...to post photos and videos of the abuse that you are inflicting upon this innocent child, I just don't understand how someone could do such a thing!! and the "mother", I hope the flames in hell are especially hot for her!! :furious: she carried this little girl, gave birth to her, gave her life! how she could hurt her so badly and stand by while her husband hurt her so is just sickening! How terrified and confused this child must have been! :( Praying that she finds a loving and caring family that will love and protect her for the rest of her life and help her grow up and learn that not everyone is terrible like her "parents".

The death penalty is too humane for scum like these two freaks! :furious:

I am so angry right now! You can't help reading something like this and feeling very helpless and the worst thing is knowing somewhere out there another child is going through exactly the same thing! :(

Such an appalling case!! This hits me very close to home as I have a sweet daughter who is a 1 pound preemie survivor and who has CP and is on the spectrum. She's so trusting and vulnerable. She, too, was raped repeatedly at age 8-9. My prayers go out to this child as I hope some appropriate therapy is accessed for her. The disabled are seriously underserved through therapy and yet are abused at a rate estimated to be close to 80%.

http://m.heraldpalladium.com/articles/2011/06/11/local_news/5181032.txt

Niles man gets 30 years in child *advertiser censored* case

"A Niles man convicted of producing child *advertiser censored* has been sentenced in U.S. District Court to 30 years in prison. Twenty-five of those years will run alongside the 25 years that Mark Baldwin, 48, received in December after being convicted in Berrien County for molesting a 9-year-old girl. Conviction on the federal charge adds five years to his time in prison. The *advertiser censored* conviction involved the same girl...."

and

"....The U.S. Attorney's Office said the Internet Crimes Against Children task force did a forensic examination of his computer and found pictures of Baldwin sexually assaulting the child, who police said suffers from cerebral palsy or autism...."

and

"...pictures of the child had been shared over the Internet and been found in child *advertiser censored* collections in Texas, Massachusetts, Florida and the Netherlands..."

and

"...The judge called Baldwin "a major threat to the public" and "a substantial risk to youngsters." Baldwin was ordered to pay $12,000 in restitution to the victim...."

more at link

The Press Release:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/miw/press/2011_0610_MBaldwin.html

FRIDAY, JUNE 10, 2011 - GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Mark Owen Baldwin, 48, of Niles, Michigan, received a sentence of 30 years in prison for producing child *advertiser censored*, U.S. Attorney Donald A. Davis announced today. Upon his release from prison, Baldwin will spend the rest of his life under supervised release.

The Honorable Paul L. Maloney, Chief U.S. District Judge, presided over the sentencing. He declared Baldwin to be a “major threat to the public” and a “substantial risk to youngsters.” “Only a sentence at the statutory maximum is just punishment.” In commenting on Baldwin’s conduct, Judge Maloney said, “The horrific and depraved nature is just off the chart.” Judge Maloney shared that Baldwin’s case was in the top 1 or 2 worst cases in his 16 years’ experience on the bench. Baldwin was sentenced to a total of 360 months of incarceration, with 300 months to be served concurrent with his state sentence and 60 months to be served consecutively. After his release from prison, Baldwin must serve the rest of his life on supervised release. He was also ordered to pay $12,000 in restitution to the victim.

Baldwin came to the attention of the Michigan State Police, on April 28, 2010, when a concerned citizen filed a complaint about a photograph found on the Internet. The photograph was of a naked man with a naked juvenile female. Baldwin was recognized and identified by a Niles City Police officer. Baldwin was immediately confronted by officers and he admitted to taking pictures of the nine-year old girl while she was naked. He was arrested and has been in custody since. The Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) task force conducted a forensic examination of his computer and found pictures of Baldwin sexually assaulting the child. The FBI later determined that pictures of the child had been shared on the Internet and found in child *advertiser censored* collections in Texas, Massachusetts, Florida, and the Netherlands...."

I don't know how I missed this case but I just read through the thread. Concerning DHS not responding to the child's report; my guess is that it was investigated and marked unfounded.

Parents who abuse their children can be very convincing--especially if the child doesn't communicate well. They can minimize and "laugh it off" as something misunderstood. For all we know this child is disabled to a degree that she requires toileting help or is diapered. We don't know if she disclosed during a specialized interview and if that interview was geared to her communication needs. Children's Advocacy Centers have to REALLY be creative to figure out best how this child communicates. For example, our daughter was both verbally interviewed and also allowed to write her disclosure out as she cognitively functions at about a 6 year old level, writes at about an 8 year old level but communicates at about a 4 year old level. This little girl's teachers should have been questioned as to how best to reach her to get an accurate view of the circumstances.

If the girl didn't fully disclose, there probably wouldn't have been a physical exam as those are rarely done unless a child firmly discloses (as they are tremendously traumatic...especially to a child with special needs).

I'm not defending DHS in any way, just trying to make some sense out of this. I'd also like to have more info about the conviction 20 years ago. Without the vile photos showing up, this would probably still be going on. That's a chilling thought.

Hmmm. Mark Baldwin's MS page is still up. Creepy looking guy. I believe it's him as you can compare it to a photo at the second link and the age and town come up correctly:

http://www.myspace.com/KVT1980

http://www.wndu.com/hometop/headlines/94873019.html

His Yahoo profile said they were a "nudist family" and "into family fun" and "up for everything".

When Baldwin was arrested, he told officials that he was: “collecting evidence against pedophiles online.”

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/292768#ixzz1P5nGxCoA

I can find no updates on the mom--no trial date. Michelle Baldwin is not listed on Vinelink so she's not in custody. And she's the one who took the photos!!

I wasn't sure what to say but you expressed everything I'm feeling.

Me too. May this poor child be forever protected and be in loving arms from this day forward.

I have no words for the evil-doers.

Mel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheMidge