MI MI - Mary Denise Lands, MP827, 54, Marshall, 12 Mar 2004

justice4mary

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
There are the most dedicated and determined sleuths on here and that is why I came to ask for help with a cold case in my family.. The way my aunt and uncle were treated by the MPD is sad. I am not even sure it can be solved after all the Intentional errors made by them. We know he did it, the whole town knows he did it. I guess when you have good friends at your local police department to help you you really can get away with Murder. PLEASE HELP any advice or help is greatly appreciated......
https://youtu.be/bQHQiAI4L5I

Justice for Mary Denise Lands

NamUS #MP827
Mary was reported last seen at approximately 10:30pm walking away from her residence in the vicinity of the 1200 block of Arms St. in Marshall, MI. This information was from her live-in boyfriend, Chris Pratt. It was reported that they had been arguing, and she left.

She was wearing Hospital scrubs (dark blue scrub pants."Sponge Bob" or "teddy bear" print light blue scrub shirt) and a brown leather jacket.

Attachments

• FB FLYER.png
    FB FLYER.png
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
Lands was reported missing March 12, 2004. Her boyfriend at the time, Christopher Pratt, told police they argued and she walked away from their Marshall apartment in the cold wearing medical scrubs and a leather jacket.

Despite searches, rewards, pleas, an ongoing police investigation and psychics, she was not found and in 2011 was declared dead.

Pratt was named by investigators as a person of interest in the case but no one has been charged with her disappearance.

On Monday, a dozen friends and family gathered to mark the 14th year since Mary Lands disappeared. Jim Carlin, a private investigator, said a cemetery plot and stone marker is planned for Lands.

Memorial stone planned for long-missing Mary Lands

I live in the area and have heard for years that "he did it". It certainly has always seemed like that to me. I "heard" that he bragged to some jail buddy.
Are MI State Police or FBI involved in this case? IIRC, they lived at the apartments West of West Street, on Verona? which isn't Marshall City limits. Would be Calhoun County.
Do you know anyone who is investigating this case?
It seems like some piece of physical evidence would help.

I live in the area and have heard for years that "he did it". It certainly has always seemed like that to me. I "heard" that he bragged to some jail buddy.
Are MI State Police or FBI involved in this case? IIRC, they lived at the apartments West of West Street, on Verona? which isn't Marshall City limits. Would be Calhoun County.
Do you know anyone who is investigating this case?
It seems like some piece of physical evidence would help.

Looked at the map again. The apartment is East of West street, so in the city limits. AFAIK, West Street is the city limit. I don't know if the BF said this, but the word around town (keep in mind this is a town of 6000 people), is that the body was taken "up North" and fed to hogs.
There was a big murder case in MI years ago where bodies were fed to hogs, and the case was solved. I think a tooth or bone fragment was found? Does anyone remember that case? I would like to see this case solved.

Updated 14 hours ago

“[SBM]

A Calhoun County judge agreed to delay the preliminary examination for Christopher Pratt to allow his attorney more time to find witnesses and because Pratt was assaulted and injured by another inmate on Tuesday.

Pratt, 51, also is a person of interest in the March 12, 2004 disappearance of his then-girlfriend, Mary Lands of Marshall.

Lands, 39 when she disappeared, is presumed dead but her body was never found and no one has been charged in the case.

Pratt later served a prison term after being found guilty in 2007 of domestic violence involving another woman.

Pratt was charged in November with criminal sexual conduct in the third degree after a 16-year-old girl told the Calhoun County Sheriff Department deputies that she was raped by Pratt after she left Starr, a residential treatment facility for juveniles in Albion. He faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted.

[SBM]

[Defense attorney Shawn Patrick] Smith also argued that Pratt was not able to assist in his own defense because of a beating he sustained in his cell Tuesday morning.

Pratt had two black eyes, a broken nose, bites on his fingers and a possible head injury and concussion, Smith told the judge.

[SBM]

‘It would be malpractice to continue with a person who has been severely beaten 24 hours earlier,’ Smith said, and asked Tomak to send Pratt for a forensic exam to determine if he is competent to proceed.

The judge denied that request but said she would delay the hearing until Smith was able to search for his witnesses.

No new date was immediately set. Pratt remains in the county jail.“
Hearing delayed on rape charge against Albion man accused of assaulting 16-year-old

088B39E2-24A5-43D0-880F-298CA8A3E0C5.jpeg FB84E82A-90C0-430F-88BA-BF60ED3D6575.jpeg

There are the most dedicated and determined sleuths on here and that is why I came to ask for help with a cold case in my family.. The way my aunt and uncle were treated by the MPD is sad. I am not even sure it can be solved after all the Intentional errors made by them. We know he did it, the whole town knows he did it. I guess when you have good friends at your local police department to help you you really can get away with Murder. PLEASE HELP any advice or help is greatly appreciated......
https://youtu.be/bQHQiAI4L5I

Justice for Mary Denise Lands

Have you considered enlisting help from Olivet College...They had a Criminology class look into another missing persons case near Battle Creek? They even conducted a search of the area...

DETROIT FREE PRESS ARTICLE

Still Praying for Mary to come home to her family. Think of her often, such a horrible case. Need to stop there. Can't be civil or partial .MOO

I recall reading about this case many years ago. Last I knew LE hadn't found any traces of Mary after she walked out of her apartment and through a parking lot. I believe tracking dogs were brought in but I don't think they found very much.

I read about several searches in areas around Marshall but AFAIK nothing conclusive was ever found.

Mary's BF at the time (CP) has been in and out of prison for years for DV, rape, etc.

Thats too bad! I used to see some billboards but nothing recently!
Yes I recall reading about those as well. Hard to believe she's been missing for almost 20 years...

I read some older posts here on WS about her case. There was some mention that Mary may have gone to a nearby motel after leaving her apartment but I'm not sure if that was ever verified or was just a rumor.

This case would more appropriately be listed in the "Missing but Not Forgotten" section of Websleuths.​

mary_denise_lands_1.jpg
mary_denise_lands_2.jpg
mary_denise_lands_3.jpg

Mary Denise Lands, age 39, Missing since 12 March 2004​

• Missing Since 03/12/2004
  • Missing From Marshall, Michigan
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/03/1964 (57)
  • Age 39 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A light blue hospital scrub shirt with a teddy bear or Sponge Bob print, dark blue hospital scrub pants, slip-on sneakers with no heel, and a brown leather jacket.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Lands's ears and navel are pierced and she has a scar on her left arm from a polio vaccination. She wears brown-framed eyeglasses for reading, and keeps her fingernails well-manicured. Lands has a ripped right earlobe and has a brown birthmark on her buttocks. Her maiden name is Marshall and she may go by the name Mary Denise Marshall Lands.

Details of Disappearance​

Lands was last seen between 10:00 and 10:30 p.m. on March 12, 2004, walking away from her apartment in the vicinity of the 1200 block of Arms Street in Marshall, Michigan. She had an argument with her live-in fiance, Christopher Luke Pratt, that evening.

mary_denise_lands_6.jpg

Christopher Pratt

Lands was last seen between 10:00 and 10:30 p.m. on March 12, 2004, walking away from her apartment in the vicinity of the 1200 block of Arms Street in Marshall, Michigan. She had an argument with her live-in fiance, Christopher Luke Pratt, that evening.

Lands may have been intoxicated at the time. She became upset and told Pratt she was going for a walk, and he saw her walking around the carport. She never returned home and has never been heard from again. She left her clothes, cellular phone, engagement ring and keys behind at her home, but she took her white mesh purse with her. Her brother reported her missing.

Pratt is considered to be a person of interest in Lands's disappearance, although he is not being called a suspect. He had a history of domestic violence in his first marriage.

In 2007, he was arrested for assaulting his live-in girlfriend. He was convicted of unlawful imprisonment and criminal sexual conduct in that case, but he has never been charged in connection with Lands's disappearance. A photograph of Pratt is posted with this case summary.

Dogs tracked Lands's scent to a nearby motel after she went missing. There was no indication of her whereabouts at the motel, however. Lands's has not used her bank account or credit cards since her disappearance. Police are calling her disappearance suspicious.

Lands has two adult children. Most of her family lives in California; her parents moved there only days before her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her disappearance; her case remains unsolved. She was declared legally dead in April 2011.

Investigating Agency​

• Marshall Police Department 269-781-2596

Source Information​

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member