MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Does anyone else hate the thought of a murderer walking free amongst us while a case is built? They know it is a matter of time before they will be charged... what's to stop them from murdering someone else? Too close to home for me. MOO

I hope the police are able to arrest them soon!

Murderers are always walking free amongst us.

Same with thieves, fraudsters, sex offenders etc.

Until there is enough evidence for a conviction.

Just hope that you are of no interest to the lot of them.

ETA: In Canada, many murderers are released after serving their sentences.

not new articles, just summarizing some important data
  • Police have said that the case poses no greater threat to the wider public.
  • Dr Devon Hoover, 53, was a board-certified neurosurgeon
  • had a special interest in the treatment of neck and back disorders. (these are very risky surgeries)
  • went to school in Indiana, Michigan, and Louisiana
  • an uncle to “many” nieces and nephews, was one of seven children and had six sisters
  • Until he left for college, Devon worked on the family dairy farm — milking the cows, planting and harvesting crops, and doing many other chores
  • the surgeon had been shot multiple times in the head
  • his body had been wrapped up in a blanket and left in a crawl space.
  • "not a random act"
  • The police chief says that the suspect was known to the victim but refused to comment on the nature of their relationship
  • Chief White said that his investigators have “some theories” about what happened
  • Chief remains “careful but confident” in the case.
  • Since Devon purchased his home in 2008, he had been steadily transforming it room by room with period decor and carefully selected antiques
  • He viewed it as curating his own museum and was passionate about this
Obviously, the scorned lover thing comes to mind. But...
* Could this be an angry patient who went rogue? Operation left them disabled or in constant pain; they want revenge

* Could this be a disgruntled former coworker from LA, MI, or IN?

* Could this person have known him from his farm days?

* Could this have been a Tinder date where the person actually just cased his house and of course Devon innocently showed off his personally-curated museum, and the person met back up with their hustle group and shared info on what an easy target he is?

* If robbery was the plan, why murder him?

*Who benefits from Dr. Hoover being killed? (
I am sure cops are looking into insurance...)

Some people hold grudges that fester for months, years, even decades. There are quite a few examples of that.

Covering someone's face after you've killed them can mean you don't want to see them like that and it's sort of like a "respect" thing in a strange way, from what I have seen and read by forensic psychologists and the like. Not sure if a carpet covering counts, but wanted to know your guys' thoughts.

I have been trying to copy an article from Click on Detroit-- with no luck- it simply will not copy. In any event family and friends of Dr. Hoover are raising funds to get to a 20,000 reward. What I find very puzzling is why his employer or some of the charities he contributed to have not put up a substantial reward. You can go to www.clickondetroit.com to read the article. You have to scroll down to find it.

Last edited:
I would imagine his estate may not be settled yet…? * My opinion.

Probably not, plus charities and non-profits are regulated as to what they legally can spend funds on according to their charter. I’m quite sure that wouldn’t include offering rewards. Usually reward money comes from either businesses or individuals. Hopefully LE have enough solid leads it won’t be required to solve this case or people with information will go to them because it‘s the right thing to do. JMO

There is also an article in The Detroit News that can't be shared here because it mentions a crowd-funding site. Visit The Detroit News site if you're interested.
I hope this reward is helpful in getting someone who knows something to come forward and give information to LE.

There is also an article in The Detroit News that can't be shared here because it mentions a crowd-funding site. Visit The Detroit News site if you're interested.

Good to see that within just two days of the family and friends having set up the account to raise money for a reward, they have already raised almost one-third of the $20,000 goal.

Source: Article in The Detroit News

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2023/06/14/family-friends-raise-reward-for-information-that-will-help-solve-murder-of-detroit-neurosurgeon/

I like that the family has elected to have a light turned on in the third floor window of that magnificent mansion. The light in the window is a grim reminder that a lovely, talented man lost his life to gunshot by a killer that has not been caught.

Many fund-raisers climb really high and above the originally set goal. I wonder if Devon's friends will donate since the Police Chief said they have one POI and he is the only POI. I wonder what the Investigators think about the DA saying: Bring me the murder weapon.

Keep the light in the attic on.
#JusticeForDevon

Early on it was posted here that LE stated that DH's car (someone speculated that it may have been a Bentley) was found abandoned on the West side of town.
I'm a bit confused by this reporting. Woodward Ave divides Detroit's East and West side. 150 W. Boston Blvd is a block west of Woodward and therefore already on the West side. Dr. Hoover's car could have been parked on 2nd Ave along the West side of his property and still been on the West side.

Once the site of candlelit soirees and community events, Dr. Devon Hoover’s stately 1915 mansion on a quiet, tree-lined street in Detroit’s historic Boston-Edison neighborhood now sits dark.

On April 23, the body of the beloved 53-year-old neurosurgeon was found in the attic of the three-story house he lovingly restored, shot twice in the back of the head, according to the autopsy report obtained by PEOPLE.

As news of his shocking death became public, tributes poured in from former patients, co-workers and friends who remembered him for his warmth, generosity of spirit and talent as a surgeon.

“He was this very kind and gentle soul,” Hoover’s former neighbor, Jeanne Wyatt, 75, tells PEOPLE. “He was a very successful neurosurgeon, but had no airs. Just a real down-to-earth person and very involved in the community. It’s a terrible loss for all of us.”

Renowned for his surgical skills and gentle bedside manner, Hoover was also known for spending hours tracking down the perfect art and antiques to fill the nine-bedroom mansion he bought in 2008...

DETROIT – Police and loved ones are still searching for answers two months after a neurosurgeon was found dead in his home in Detroit’s Boston-Edison Historic District.

Crime Stoppers held a press conference on Saturday announcing a cash reward of up to $2,500 for information that leads to an arrest in the death of Dr. Devon Hoover. Family and friends have raised an additional $20,000...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back