MI MI - Paige Renkoski, 30, Fowlerville, 24 May 1990

How disheartening! :(

I was so sure that they would find something. I can't imagine what her family is going through...after all these years and, I presume (possibly not correctly), finally hoping that they would find Paige.

Missing woman's mother refuses to give up hope

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121114/OPINION03/211140331/1409/rss36

"Experts at the National Institute of Justice have called it "the nation's silent mass disaster." Ardis Renkoski calls it a national tragedy.

"The fact that there are as many as 100,000 active missing persons cases in our country and another 40,000 human remains that are unidentified is tragic," Renkoski said recently.

Renkoski is the mother of Paige Renkoski, 30, who vanished 22 years ago after dropping her mother off at the airport. Her 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass was found along westbound I-96 near the Fowlerville exit, the engine left idling, her purse and shoes inside. Police ruled the case a homicide, even though her body has never been found.

A year ago, just before Thanksgiving, Ardis Renkoski had high hopes investigators might finally have located her daughter. Acting on one of the most promising leads in decades, law enforcement searched in a frost-covered field near where she disappeared. But extensive digging turned up nothing. The renewed grief was like losing her daughter all over again.

Still, as sad as that event was, Renkoski has never given up searching for her daughter, and as long as there is the possibility she might find the answer to what happened to Paige, there's no way she won't turn over every rock.

To that end, Renkoski has been working on proposed state legislation that would promote and encourage the use of NamUs, the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, a federal program and database that aims to match missing persons cases with unidentified decedents.

"I'd like it to be called Paige's law," Renkoski said. "But it really doesn't matter what it's called, just so long as the protocol is in place and followed."

The NamUs database provides side-by-side comparisons of missing persons and unidentified remains such as fingerprints, dental records, eye color, height, weight. To be sure, the most expedient matches are those where DNA samples of both the missing person and unidentified remains are on file. But the database is only as good as the information it collects.

While cost is not prohibitive — the NamUs Center for Human Identification in Fort Worth Texas is fully funded to help all states identify their missing and unidentified deceased at no cost — state and local police agencies are not required by law to file missing persons reports with NamUs. Nor do medical examiners or coroners routinely collect DNA samples before disposing of or burying unidentified remains.

So, while the science is there, ready and waiting to solve many of these cases, not enough agencies across the country are putting it to good use.

"The problem is that sharing information and gathering evidence has never been a coordinated effort before," says Renkoski. "So, it's frustrating. You just want to yell: 'Just put it into the system GUYS!!' But, of course, nothing is that simple."

While decidedly humble, ("My friends think it is odd that I continue to pursue this," Renkoski says. "Still, it's my mission.") Renkoski is no lightweight. As the president for 12 years of her local chapter of Parents of Murdered Children Inc., Renkoski was tapped to serve as a victim advocate advisor to the NIJ's multiyear initiative aimed at maximizing the use of forensic DNA in solving missing person crimes.

Last week, for example, she spoke at the National Medical Examiner's 2012 Conference in Mount Pleasant.

Says George Adams, national director of operations for NamUs: "I first started working with Mrs. Renkoski several years ago and she is a passionate and unselfish advocate for the victims and families in the state of Michigan."

Modeled after similar laws now on the books in a handful of states, (California, Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, and Texas) Renkoski's proposed model legislation for Michigan would prohibit the cremation of unidentified remains, require DNA testing of both missing persons and unidentified remains, and mandate the profiles be added to the NamUs database.

To date, the NamUs project, which launched in January 2009, has been responsible for resolving 340 of the missing and unidentified person cases in its databases.

It's hardly a dent in the overwhelmingly large number of families over the course of decades who are still searching for loved ones who seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth.

But for Ardis Renkoski, as long as there are unidentified remains out there, there is hope.

"Not just because one of them could be Paige," she said. "Frankly, I just don't feel that's very likely. But because one of them is somebody's loved one. We all deserve to find them and bring them home."

mkeenan@detnews.com

This case has always bothered me. I lived in the area at the time and drove past this area a few times a week. I live in a different state now, but still think about her. I just find it almost impossible that someone did not see her being taken/or forced into another car. I mean this is a busy area. Even if she had gotten into another vehicle without a fight I would think someone would have seen something. It was nice weather, it was just begining to get warm and it was light out (I believe). There would have been people with car windows down (possibly) and from what I remember this location is visible from a service road too. I don't know. Just one of those that has no rhyme or reason. Quite sad for the family. Wish they could get some answers.

Made an album for her on the FB page Still Seek Answers & I run called Never Forget Me. It will be 25 years this May, her mom needs answers!
Paige Renkoski Missing since May 24, 1990 from Fowlerville, MI
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics - Date Of Birth: February 2, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6; 125 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Long surgical scar on inside of right arm, surgical scar on right leg from knee replacement. She has 2 surgical screws in her left knee.
Clothing: White silk shirt, silk patterned slacks. Long beaded necklace.
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance - Renkoski was last seen speaking with an unidentified Black male on the shoulder of Interstate 96 near the Fowlerville exit in Michigan on May 24, 1990 at approximately 15.00 - 16.30.

Renkoski's car was later found abandoned; the keys were in the ignition and the engine was running. The door to the vehicle was unlocked and Renkoski's purse and shoes were located inside. She has never been seen nor heard from again.

On that day back in 1990, Renkoski had dropped her mother off at Metro Airport at 11:30 and stopped to visit a friend in Canton Township until about 14.30. She stopped at a party store, bought a beer and headed back to Lansing.

Some witnesses have told police they saw her vehicle weaving in and out of traffic, a maroon or burgundy van following close behind.

Renkoski left a large sum of money in her bank account and apparently had no travel plans. Renkoski had a close relationship with her mother and was engaged to be married.

Foul play is suspected in her disappearance.

Investigators If you have any information concerning Renkoski's whereabouts, please contact:
Livingston County Sheriff's Department
517-546-2440
sheriff@co.livingston.mi.us
--
Michigan State Police
810-227-1149
All information may be submitted anonymously.

NamUs MP # 835 https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/835/0/
The Doe Network: Case File 294DFMI http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/294dfmi.html
Charley Project http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/renkoski_paige.html
CUE Center Paige Marie Renkoski http://www.ncmissingpersons.org/paige-marie-renkoski/

Paige is mentioned in this interview.

A few minutes with ... a cop hunting the missing
February 14, 2015
There are 4,800 missing people in Michigan. Sarah Krebs works to find them.
http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/02/14/cop-hunts-missing-michigan/23418043/
Right now, in Michigan, there are about 4,800 people who are reported missing. Sarah Krebs, a detective sergeant with the Michigan State Police, is helping to try to find them.
Krebs, 37, of Commerce Township has been searching for missing people for most of her nearly 15-year career with the State Police. She hunts the living and helps identify the dead, using DNA technology, records and her skills as a facial reconstruction artist.

Q: Do they usually involve young children?
Not always. No. My No. 1 case is an adult. It's a where-did-she-go? Who did it? I know her family very well through my work. If I could find out for them what happened to her.
Q: It's not Paige Renkoski, is it?
It is. It is Paige. It's my No. 1 case.
<snip>
To give her mother an answer would be everything for me, as a detective. It's not even my case. It's a Livingston County case. We have quite a few high-profile missing persons in our state, which is really tragic. I feel for all of them.

Link to the post on Livingston County Cold Case team
Livingston County Cold Case Team shared Sarah Swistak, FOX 47 News's photo.
There will be a story regarding the disappearance of Paige Renkoski on Fox 47 News in Lansing sometime in May. I was very impressed with Sarah and the camera man. Thanks for helping to keep the public informed.

Sarah Swistak, FOX 47 News - Screen grab from yesterday's interview with the Livingston County Sheriff's Office. I can't wait to share this story with you. I'll release more details once I'm able!

Attachments

• SarahSwistakFox47News.jpg
    SarahSwistakFox47News.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 93
Another WS asked me if I remembered there being a report that she was seen with two unidentified men early on in the investigation, I could not recall, was there? Was the tip of her seen with a Black male determined to be credible?

From memory; she was seen on the side of the highway with them.

Want to say how very honored I am to be friends with her mom! Recently she posted in the Missing in Michigan FB group about MI - Leslie Roy and Lee Marie Wright, Ishpeming, 10 April 2015; many locals posted; as well as a SAR team; there were 300 posts when they were found! The post got deleted some how; but I know Paige is so very proud of her mom & how she shares a lot of missing persons info!

"25th anniversary of missing Okemos woman approaches"

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/05/20/paige-renkoski-missing-okemos/27657093/

Mike Frayer, a member of the Livingston County Sheriff's Department Cold Case Team that is re-examining the Renkoski case files, said the team has no doubts the 5-foot, 7-inch tall, 125-pound blond-haired woman is dead, but investigators have been unable to answer what happened to her as well as where, when and why.

Video Link:
http://www.scrippsmedia.com/fox47news/news/25-Years-Later-The-Paige-Renkoski-Case-304508031.html

Renkoski cold case: 'Someone out there' does know

POLICE STILL SEARCH FOR PAIGE RENKOSKI, MISSING 25 YEARS

http://www.livingstondaily.com/story/news/local/community/livingston-county/2015/05/23/paige-renkoski-years-missing/27747499/

First, Frayer said, the spot where investigators found the 1986 silver Calais Renkoski was driving was not processed as a crime scene because at the time, it was merely considered an abandoned car and had been tagged as such by an officer.

Frayer and Morrow said investigators have three working theories &#8212; Was it someone she knew? Was it a staged accident? Did someone impersonate an officer to get her to stop?

He said it is possible that Renkoski would have stopped if another motorist flashed a police badge or gave any indication he was an officer and needed her to stop because her father had law enforcement experience and she most likely would have respected the badge.

Even though I've read about the Paige Renkoski case before, I only recently took note of the date. Paige disappeared on May 24, 1990, exactly five years to day after Cindy Moore was reported missing. Cindy was last seen after 11 PM on May 23, 1985. near the entrance to I-75, another major Michigan expressway. Cindy's car was also found abandoned not far from where she was last seen. Moreover, the ages of the women were close: Cindy was 28 when she disappeared; Paige was 30
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?275222-MI-Cindy-Moore-28-Troy-23-May-1985
In the Cindy Moore case, many people suspected her estranged husband, but it is important to consider other angles. If Cindy was killed after midnight&#8212;on May 24, in other words&#8212;then the Paige Renkoski abduction was on the five-year anniversary of Cindy's demise. I can see a five-year anniversary being significant to some weirdo out there who may have killed both women.

I lived a few miles from where Paige went missing. I have never forgotten her and hope someday her family will have answers as to what happened to her. I am sad about her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back