GUILTY MI - Patrick Mikes, 55, Troy, 27 July 2012

August 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Police call off search for missing Troy man
By Mike Martindale
The Detroit News

Troy — A police search for a Troy man, feared dead, was called off for the day Friday afternoon after several hot, unsuccessful hours probing fields, farmland and a river.

Troy Police Captain Robert Redmond confirmed searches — some with cadaver dogs and even by boat — were conducted in several locations, including in Genesee County on Friday, based on their ongoing investigation, potential leads and tips received on the case.

"Several teams have been out since early this morning at locations we were interested in — including a farm, the Flint River near Montrose and the Holly Recreation Area," said Redmond. "Nothing has been recovered at any of the sites, and since they have been at it for several hours now in this heat, it's winding down...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120803/METRO/208030415#ixzz22W4dfTxW

That's an awfully long way to go to dump a body (though I'm not discounting your theory at all - it makes perfect sense). I do wonder, though, if Mikes Jr has some kind of ties to the Montrose area? That dump they're searching is reeeeeeeally far off the highway, and seems an unlikely place to go unless he had prior knowledge of it.

But it's also on the way to Frankenmuth, which 99% of SE Michiganders have been to at least once in their lives, especially as kids, so I can see someone from here headed up that way.

I wonder if they got a direction from a search made on a computer in the house? Either way, I feel like this was something that was not planned in advance, occurred and then a resulting panic afterward, just as Cubs09 said.

...and welcome, Cubs09, glad you have you in the discussion.

Obviously a shock to his family and friends. It makes me wonder why he was "cut off financially" ? Was he caught up in impressing the creme de la creme of his classmates and just was spending too much? Were drugs involved? Did his father come after him first? I'm not attacking him just wondering.

We all may be shocked but frankly I'm not surprised. The pressures are so extreme in top Universities to put on the face. Trust me, been there done that.

I also wonder about the effects of losing his mother. It certainly doesn't justify murder, but I am always curious about the human psyche.

I just hope Mr. Mikes is found soon and this young man gets some help if he indeed did this.

DH and I have returned from a Friday night dinner date (saw our allergist at the popular seafood restaurant). We took a detour on our way home and drove down the street where the Mikes family lives. The house is on the south side of Homewood Drive, two houses from Adams Road. There is no crime scene tape at the home, but there was a pile of "stuff" at the top of the driveway. The street is very quiet, and we didn't see anyone outdoors, walking, riding bikes, etc. the full length of the winding street.

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers. Enjoy the evening.

Here is a picture of three homes directly across the street from Mr. Mikes house. They look like very nice homes and IMO at least one would likely have a video camera.

I do have a question about the homes in this area. Do most homes have a basement? If so,do they have a basement window? Yesterday I was thinking he would have had to had help, but if a basement window is involved maybe not.

I also wonder if there is access to the basement from the back in case of bad weather?

Like a storm or tornado door?

Obviously a shock to his family and friends. It makes me wonder why he was "cut off financially" ? Was he caught up in impressing the creme de la creme of his classmates and just was spending too much? Were drugs involved? Did his father come after him first? I'm not attacking him just wondering.

We all may be shocked but frankly I'm not surprised. The pressures are so extreme in top Universities to put on the face. Trust me, been there done that.

I also wonder about the effects of losing his mother. It certainly doesn't justify murder, but I am always curious about the human psyche.

I just hope Mr. Mikes is found soon and this young man gets some help if he indeed did this.

I posted some rhetorical questions earlier about what might have been the reason(s) for young Patrick Mikes to be "cut off". In addition to overspending while away at school, I considered the possible loss of his academic scholarship and/or not seeking part-time or summer employment while he's a student and expecting Dad to continually pay his way.

As far as pressures in top universities are concerned, Patrick, Jr. graduated from University of Detroit Jesuit High School which is among the most prestigious and competitive in the metro-Detroit area. This school boasts the brightest and best, and the classmate who posted earlier said that Patrick was among the best students in his class of 2009. Mikes has an academic scholarship at Notre Dame where he is majoring in Psychology and Pre-Med. This young man is well-acquainted with academic pressure, but social pressures on a large college campus might have proved challenging.

I do have a question about the homes in this area. Do most homes have a basement? If so,do they have a basement window? Yesterday I was thinking he would have had to had help, but if a basement window is involved maybe not.

Most homes in this area have full basements. Basement windows are small (12"X24") with hinge openings that don't allow much space to move anything in or out of the basement. DH and I opted for glass-block windows in our basement for safety and privacy. One of the windows has a small vent through which we put the hose to clean the basement floor. Homes on slightly-sloping lots might have "daylight" basements that have large windows but no outdoor access, and homes on sloping lots have a lower level with direct access to outdoors. Homewood Drive is gently rolling but probably not sloping enough for homes to have daylight basements or lower level access to outdoors.

I also wonder if there is access to the basement from the back in case of bad weather?

Like a storm or tornado door?

Basements in these parts don't have outdoor access unless the house is built on a sloping lot. Storm/screen doors are simply an outer door on the front entrance to the home (and/or side/back doors for those that have them).

I saw on Flint's police page a couple of days ago that they were asking area residents to look for Mr. Mikes and said to especially look in the Seymour Lake Rd. area. Now I see they have searched the Holly recreation area and have gone on north as far as Montrose. I saw articles say they were searching those areas due to cell phone records. We are familiar with the Troy area because that's where our dog club is and we go there often. We also go to the mall where Mikes Jr. bought the movie tickets and the restaurant meal. Its about a 45 minute drive from our house. We live between the Holly state recreation area and Montrose, although Montrose is west and north of us. I'm wondering why they didn't search Seven Lakes state park, as its not far from the Holly park and it has a lot of isolated space, plus 7 lakes and rattlesnakes. Maybe no cell phone pings there? Also, the road into the parks would be chained shut at night. What time of day is it thought that he came up this way? During the day you have to have a sticker pass on your license plate to get into the state parks, or you have to pay $10 at the park to get one. Did police say what store Jr. bought cleaning supplies at? I wonder if neighbors saw him coming and going from his home and what car he was driving. I saw that the police were asking Montrose residents if they had seen a gray Infiniti (I believe) in their area around the time Mikes Sr. disappeared. It seems like if Jr. killed Sr. that he would have needed help to dispose of the body and the bicycle. I don't know what size an Infiniti is, but a bicycle wouldn't fit inside one, would it? Or would it? Along with a body? Surely the body would get blood in the car if not totally wrapped in vinyl or a tarp. The Montrose area is known for its meth labs as well as for blueberries. Could Jr. have been familiar with the area because of that? I find it hard to believe that Jr. (if he killed his father) would drive all the way to Montrose to dispose of the body and then turn around and drive home. Its just a little too far. And where was the younger boy all this time?

There is an article on today's Flint Police Operations facebook page that says police were searching the Montrose area due to someone giving them a tip that the Mikes car (or one like it) was seen in that area Sunday near the river and McKinley Rd. Didn't the boys report their father missing on Sunday? What time? The supposed sighting was in the afternoon. I thought police were on the case by then and would know where Jr. was at that time. The article says news crews from Flint and Detroit were all over the place. Police searched and didn't find anything and moved on to another area. They seem to be giving a lot of attention to the river.

The police said that the Brent Run landfill had been searched. The manager of the landfill said it wasn't searched. I tend to believe it wasn't because I don't think they could search it that fast. They searched along the Flint River in Montrose today but didn't find anything. I hope Mr. Mikes is found soon.

The dump doesn't seem like a likely place to dispose of Mr. Mikes body because it closed at 4 p.m. on Friday, closed at 10 a.m. on Saturday, and was closed on Sunday. That wouldn't allow much time for dumping a body unless it was done early in the day on Friday. Also, you have to pay to dump something in the dump and smaller items under a certain weight/size have to be put in a dumpster. A dumpster should be pretty easy and quick to search.

I spent the day today with about 20 people from the Troy, MI, area. One man told me that the bike that Mikes Sr. owned was VERY expensive. I looked the brand and model up online and saw that similar bikes cost from $4000 to over $7000! If Jr. disposed of the bike, would he just ditch something that cost that much? Would he take it to Montrose where meth labs run rampant and trade it for drugs or sell it? Most people in our area don't ride bikes that expensive! The car Jr was supposedly driving was a sedan. It didn't look big enough to carry a bike out of sight, although a body could be carried in the truck or back seat (or floor). I wish we knew EXACTLY where the cell phone pings were from Jr's phone. And who he called or who called him. I'd sure like to know what the younger brother is saying about the whole thing!

I spent the day today with about 20 people from the Troy, MI, area. One man told me that the bike that Mikes Sr. owned was VERY expensive. I looked the brand and model up online and saw that similar bikes cost from $4000 to over $7000! If Jr. disposed of the bike, would he just ditch something that cost that much? Would he take it to Montrose where meth labs run rampant and trade it for drugs or sell it? Most people in our area don't ride bikes that expensive! The car Jr was supposedly driving was a sedan. It didn't look big enough to carry a bike out of sight, although a body could be carried in the truck or back seat (or floor). I wish we knew EXACTLY where the cell phone pings were from Jr's phone. And who he called or who called him. I'd sure like to know what the younger brother is saying about the whole thing!

Goodness, I had no idea that a bicycle of any kind could cost that much. Does his car have a bicycle rack on the back or on top of the vehicle? I would think anyone that into bicycling would surely have a means to haul it.

I am sad for this young man and his family.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the bike went missing (sold?) and that's what the father-son confrontation was about.

thanx 4 all the news links & info re: this case.
I'm in the area also &would like search info if anyone knows any.
I'm in White Lake which I between the home & the Holly rec area. What freaks me out is the sheer volume of land there is around here. State parks, county parks, private farm & wood land, soccer parks. It's maddening to try & think where the perp would feel comfortable taking a body. I can't even think where to start looking.I'm surrounded by woods. If I were looking to dispose of a body I would'nt think to go into an actual recreation area where you risk being seen by people but all along the roads are little parking areas that hunters & hikers use to go into any number of parks around here. I geocache this whole area & am always freaked out how isloated some of these trails are, even w/ traffic in hearing distance.
I feel horrible for not jumping on this case sooner. Summertime feels like 2 months of groundhog day. I haven't had the news on & have been stuck on Elizabeth & Lyrics thread for 3 weeks now. I'm going to see what I can find about searching today.
Stoney creek popped in my head because of the biking trails in there, where steven grant disposed of his wife's body a couple years ago. I'm trying to think of familar and places a man that ride bikes might go in the area, though Troy itself is full of asphalt paths. Or should I say where someone who wanted it to look like dad went for a ride, where they might think dad rode. If that makes sense.
I wish I could hope for a better outcome for this man. I pray for the people that love and miss him.

That's an awfully long way to go to dump a body (though I'm not discounting your theory at all - it makes perfect sense). I do wonder, though, if Mikes Jr has some kind of ties to the Montrose area? That dump they're searching is reeeeeeeally far off the highway, and seems an unlikely place to go unless he had prior knowledge of it.

I know. I can think of a hundred better, closer, easier, not as predictable as to "dumping" than going there. I am going crazy thinking of all the places. W/ no public searches I keep thinking where I could possible even hope to help locate this man. There are very active off road bike trails right here in the Highland State Park. I'm going thru there to see if theres anything posted on the board. As well as Indian Springs, big asphalt riding there. If I were in the perps postion I'd find somewhere the victim actually frequented if i wanted it to look like he was hurt while riding. But then i think "this is a rash young minded crime/perp" where would he think....quick "dump" and then Montrose looks possible. A quick drive up 75 from Troy. Great Lakes is right off 75. Stops there buys tickets and food then heads a little more north..? Fwiw there is a landfill/recycle center right near Great Lake Crossing. I wonder if he could'nt access that area or if it was to close to home. It's a very populated area.

eta: srry i don't know why I thought they were looking specifically in the landfill in Montrose. I re-read some articles that say around water treatment facility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back