GUILTY MI - Patrick Mikes, 55, Troy, 27 July 2012

How did LE end up searching in the Flint/Montrose area. Was it the tip from someone who saw the car, cell phone activity, or a combination of both? I'm still wondering if small lakes and/or retention ponds near the Mikes' home have been searched? DH and I have always thought that someone could easily dispose of "evidence" in the retention pond in our subdivision. Closer to the Mikes' home is Lake Charnwood.

http://hk.bing.com/maps/#JnE9LjI5Mj...4NDU3Nzk5MzUwMzklN2UtNzQuMTQxNTQ3MjExODc2Ng==

I will see my brother who's an avid cyclist today and will pepper him with questions about the various dedicated bike paths that he's familiar with in the area.

I know that the younger brother has cooperated with LE and that he is not considered a POI, but I have a difficult time believing that he knew nothing about what went on in the basement of their home. Surely, Mr. Mikes would have been calling for help during the violent altercation, so was the teenager not at home at the time?

Thoughts and prayers for the family and friends of Mr. Mikes.

Bette, I have the same questions. Montrose, out of all of Michigan, is such a specific area and maybe the family has some connection there, I don't know.

I also wonder now about the distance--if you think about him having to haul his father's body up the stairs and into a vehicle, I can't imagine he was ready for a nice long drive after that. Then again, he could have done that and then left it in the car until he figured out the next move.

So nice to have so many of u locals in board here caring for a man u have never met. MI must be full of wonderful people :)

I'm not familiar with the area at all. Can someone tell me where the Montrose area is in relation to the Mikes' home? Does anyone know if the family themselves are familiar with the area? My apologies if these questions have already been discussed. I've only been able to pop my head in once during the last couple days. Thanks!

I also had no idea that a bike could cost so much. I was also wondering about if Mr. Mikes' car had a bike rack on it. The pictures the police showed of the cars they wanted information about people seeing did not show bike racks on the cars. The car talked about most was a gray Infiniti sedan. I thought maybe Mr. Mikes did his bike riding just in his neighborhood. I don't remember reading about how far his average ride usually was. I do know that the Troy area has lots of parks and trails because our dog club takes their dogs on leashed walks of several miles each on these trails. Some of the trails are paved and some are not. A woman in our dog club said she was studying this case in her criminal justice college class and doing a report on it. She lives in the area where this happened. I think it was cell phone records that brought the police to Montrose along with some people reporting "suspicious activity" and a woman saying she saw an unknown gray car near the river on Sunday afternoon, which was a time when Jr. was with police. Montrose would be the last place I would expect someone to dump a body. The main crime there is meth labs. Otherwise, its a rather sleepy city that doesn't get on anyone's radar very often. The biggest deal there is the blueberry festival, which is always the 3rd weekend in August each year. The city will be full of people the weekend of August 18th. The Holly State Recreation Area was searched due to a hunter reporting smelling a strong odor of decomposition there. Nothing was found. The news didn't say if anyone else smelled the odor besides the one person.

Kimmie, Montrose is north and west of Troy where this man disappeared. I would expect with expressway traffic that it would take maybe 90 minutes to drive from Troy to Montrose. Right now it would take longer probably because the expressway is filled with construction and traffic is slowed down drastically. It's usually an hour from Troy to the pond our dog club went to north of Davison this past Saturday, and it took people 90 minutes to 2 hours to make the drive due to construction. Some areas were down to one lane of traffic. The back roads would probably be as fast as the expressway and I heard that they were backed up too.

I've been away since noon celebrating a family birthday. I hope everyone has enjoyed a pleasant Sunday.

Re: The bicycle. I never entertained the possibility that the pricy bike may have been sold because LE has said repeatedly that "when they locate the bike, the body should be nearby". If folks here thought that the bike could have been sold (pawned, traded), I suppose that LE has already been down that road and believes that the bike was disposed of along with Mr. Mikes' remains.

As hot and humid as it's been in these parts, unless the body is in water or buried, it would definitely be emitting a foul odor after more than a week. I hope searchers find something soon.

Bette, I have the same questions. Montrose, out of all of Michigan, is such a specific area and maybe the family has some connection there, I don't know.

I also wonder now about the distance--if you think about him having to haul his father's body up the stairs and into a vehicle, I can't imagine he was ready for a nice long drive after that. Then again, he could have done that and then left it in the car until he figured out the next move.

Given the amount of blood at the scene that "left little chance for survival", and "blood-soaked" carpet that was removed from the home, I am wondering if Mikes' body was removed from the basement "intact". I can't even bring myself to post what I've thought might have happened, but you can read between the lines and get my drift... I wonder what else Patrick, Jr. purchased along with the cleaning supplies?

I stumbled upon this group while searching for information about this case and I'm happy to have joined, even though I'm hardly qualified as a sleuth of any sort. I've also been involved in this case to a highly limited degree, yet I have some serious questions about the investigation and especially the coverage by the local media. I can't say too much about my involvement, though I will say I was at the home legally and for professional reasons. I am not in anyway connected with law enforcement nor any sort of legal department and I am not an expert on evidence gathering or blood samples, though I do have some experience involving such events. The following is of my own observations, information from sources I can not name and my own speculation. Obviously I have to state all of this for legal reasons.

Okay, now that the disclaimer is out of the way, I will, For the benefit of those of you following this case, give you a first hand account of my own observations of the home the the alleged scene of the crime some days after the police investigation.

The basement is fairly large with one half for storage and the other half finished. The finished half serves as a recreational room. On the far wall of the recreational room (furthest from the stairs) was a segmented sofa and a large screen television on a small entertainment table. Before that was a large ping-pong table, Olympic size on rollers. Next to this was a medium size refrigerator which was empty and had been moved from an unknown section of the basement.

In a small alcove nearest the stairs was a large air hockey table. The basement floor on this side was carpeted, though a (roughly) eight foot section of carpeting and pad closest to the stairs was removed by the police. There was also a rowing machine along the wall where the carpet was removed.

The finished wall facing the rec-room and the entire wall leading up the stairs was covered in magic marker ink-circles left by the police, along with paper measuring tape and the like. At first glance, the circles suggested blood splatter, but closer examination of the stains did not suggest blood, but did appear to be general grime. Some of the circles actually surrounded obvious remains of intense ping-pong games as unless Mikes was a Vulcan, I doubt he bled blue.

There was also no sign of blood splatter on the ceiling tile, which one would have expected judging from the main splatter on the wall. The tile is white textured foam, which certainly would have revealed any sort of organic material. Here I can only say that in my experience, a blood splatter would have been far more intense than what the remaining signs of the investigation suggested.

I also questioned the 'blood' that was marked on the wall going up the stairs as had there been a splatter of that nature, there certainly would have been signs of blood on the stairs carpet, of which there was none. Nor were there any obvious signs that the carpet had been cleaned recently.

The only part of the floor in the finished room that may have contained blood was two small patches about four feet apart between the air hockey game and ping pong table. However, I cannot say rather or not these patches were blood as I did not have the benefit of testing equipment.

This did make me question a media report I heard that stated the "basement was covered in blood." There may well have been blood on the section of carpeting removed by the police, but the so-called splatter on the walls did not appear as such nor did the pattern make any sense to me or my partner. To be blunt, some of the markings seemed almost as if the investigators added extra circles here and there just to fill space. Some circles contained no stains of any kind and more than a few were obviously general wear and tear or appeared in areas where a blood splatter was simply impractical.

The unfinished section of the basement contained various storage, both on the floors and in well stocked shelves along both sides of the wall. There was weight lifting bench and equipment on the end closest to the stairs, also set into a small alcove. As far as we could tell, this equipment was complete, nor were there any signs left over by the investigators of any evidence search on this equipment.

The floor had been well dusted for prints, but with the exception of two small prints of a pair of bare feet which may have belonged to a young adult or older child, nothing else was visible to the naked eye.

Magic marker circles also appeared around small stains on the first floor bathroom walls. These stains also did not appear to be blood in my opinion. With the possible exception of the two stains on the basement floor, my partner and I saw no obvious signs of blood in general.

Although I found no bike helmets of any sort in the sections of the house were I was, I did see three pairs of cyclist shoes and four bicycles, three in the garage and one set up in the basement as a stationary bike. Each bike seemed of exceptional quality, but I am no expert on bicycles.

According to a source which shall remain anonymous, the family was close knit and friendly, especially the children who had acted as baby sitters in the past. This same person's child had even visited the family a short time before the disappearance (and could well have been the source of the foot prints I saw in the basement, though this is pure speculation on my behalf). All were athletic as far as I could tell.

I won't, at this time, reveal any observations of Mr. Mikes Sr personal life beyond his cycling as it comes too close to speculation on my behalf. However, I saw nothing that suggested any wrongful activity on his part.

The so-called credit card fraud was a weak excuse for the police to detain the oldest son. From the information I gleaned from highly reliable sources, Mikes Jr. had borrowed from his brother-with permission-a credit card that was used to purchase movie tickets and snacks for a date with his girl friend on the night of the disappearance. The total amount of the "fraud" was somewhere around $30.

One of the things that has disgusted me about this investigation is that to have the police or media tell it, Mikes Jr was some sort of massive credit card fraud artist. Guilty or no, to build up a case against his character with something as flimsy as this is nothing more than lazy investigating and I can't believe it would hold up in court.

From what I understand, both Mikes Sr and Mikes Jr's cell phone had been pinged and both were found to have been located somewhere in the nearby town of Holly on the night of the disappearance. What has not been reported (as far as I can tell) is that Mikes Jr was at a movie theater in Holly during that time and that there is a popular bike trail in the same town. It is not a stretch to suggest both could have been in the same town at the same time for completely different reasons. Mikes Sr is/was an avid cyclist who, according to my source, was known to take 50 mile rides at any given time. I was also informed by my source that he saw Mikes Sr start his bike ride around 5:30pm.

What also bothers me is the reports on the bicycle helmet and shoes that were supposedly left behind. I know people who are enthusiastic sportsmen and out of all of them I don't know any who don't have more than one helmet, pair of shoes, gloves, baseball bat, fencing masks or other such equipment in their collection. Considering the amount of bicycle gear we saw, it is impossible to honestly say that Mikes Sr did not "take his shoes or helmet" meaning, he just as likely took a different pair of shoes and a different helmet. Again, this suggests to me more flimsy evidence against Mikes Jr.

Because of this, I have serious questions about the investigation and more than a few about the terrible media coverage (and I certainly hope the reporter from Channel 4 heard me call out "there's another vulture at the door!"). I would also like to know why a search of the nearby bike trails were not made earlier?

Obviously, should Mikes Jr be guilty, I certainly hope the police have better proof than a bit of carpet, a missing bike helmet and the location of a couple of cell phones to guide them. Otherwise, a good lawyer would have the prosecution for breakfast.

And more obvious should Mikes Jr not be guilty, let us hope that the real reasons for the disappearance are uncovered soon as possible so that this family can put an end to this tragedy and get on with their lives.

I can't belive how little is being said in the media about this missing man!!

I went by a few bike trails, off & on road type, no posters but i guess you have to clear/submit w/ office all posting on the boards at Indian Springs (metropark)& Highland State rec area. I could'nt find a downloadable missing poster if anyone knows where or if there is one. It's just to much for me to think this poor man's body just laying somehwere within driving distance. I know it's silly, people go missing but when it's close you really really start looking at every and anywhere possible to put a body.
Praying for he people who love and miss him.

OldKenTuck, thank you for your post, very helpful. Raises so many more questions and I think I'm going to just wait and see on the Jr. angle. I often wonder how much of a story is really reported or how much is actual fact (and not information put out there to lull a criminal into thinking they're on the wrong track).

I know exactly the kind of ceiling tile you are talking about and had there been any spatter that tile would have grabbed on to it.

Your disclaimer is duly noted, and if you find a need to edit some of what you wrote for your own protection, I would understand (and also why I won't quote any of what you have written).

I am not an expert on bikes by any means but my husband is a cyclist. The Cannondale bike that was owned by Mr. Mikes is extremely nice and very expensive. It is most likely a carbon frame bike, which means it probably weighs around 17 pounds, so its extremely lightweight. These bikes can run up to $8000 or perhaps more. Cannondale is a very reputable company and its one of the best name-brands in cycling. Also popular are Giants and Fujis.

When LE mentioned Mr. Mikes' helmet in the garage, I had a bad feeling right away. My husband only owns one helmet....its the one he's used to wearing. He never leaves home without it. Also, while a cyclists might have several bikes or sets of cycling shoes, these are not necessarily interchangeable. Each bike might have a different type of clip peddle and require a special shoe to match. My husband is not very fond of riding with his shoes locked in but on long rides, its very efficient.

Mr. Mikes' Cannondale is a road bike. Road bikes have the very narrow, treadless tires. They are for road riding only....no dirt or gravel trails and certainly no leafy, rocky terrain. For that type of riding, you would need a mountain bike or a hybrid bike.

A man might ride 50 miles each day, but would make sure he could return by nightfall. Riding a bicycle in the dark is not safe. My husband will ride for an hour or longer in the evenings, but he makes sure he returns before the daylight ends.

I wonder why the grandparents paid the money to have their grandson removed from jail when the police have made it clear that his release puts his brother in danger? Anyone know where the younger brother is staying?

OldKenTuck, thank you for your post, very helpful. Raises so many more questions and I think I'm going to just wait and see on the Jr. angle. I often wonder how much of a story is really reported or how much is actual fact (and not information put out there to lull a criminal into thinking they're on the wrong track).

I know exactly the kind of ceiling tile you are talking about and had there been any spatter that tile would have grabbed on to it.

Your disclaimer is duly noted, and if you find a need to edit some of what you wrote for your own protection, I would understand (and also why I won't quote any of what you have written).

About the only editing I would make at this point is to change the line "unless Mikes was a Vulcan, I doubt he bled blue." Vulcans have green blood and I didn't see any of that either.

I would also like to include a note on the carpeting. It was a medium heavy duty grade, the kind you might find on an office floor or apartment. It could soak up a decent amount of blood without bleeding through to the floor, however it has been my experience that if Mikes Jr had purchased cleaning chemicals for the purpose of covering his tracks, he would have caused an even greater mess on the carpet, which certainly should have left a much larger stain on the concrete floor.

Now, it is possible that a person could have bled out on that carpet and left little evidence on the concrete, so I'm not about to say Mikes Sr was not murdered in the basement. Much of that depends on how long a person laid there and the amount of blood loss and of course I have no idea what other evidence was removed from the home.

I will say that dragging a body up those stairs would have been a chore and would tax the strength of a body builder. It would not be impossible, just extremely difficult.

Let's just say I found more questions than answers when it came to what I was expecting. I walked into that house expecting heaps of blood and signs of violence because of the reports from the local media. What I found was a pleasant, clean home with no obvious signs of anything wrong, beyond the torn up carpeting, an exhausted family member, a highly upset source and scores of police markers that circled what appeared to be nothing more than small fragments of dirt and grime.

This was beyond my previous experience and forced me to raise questions as to the investigation, questions of which I have no answers, nor will I receive any unless there is a trial. In a word, frustrating. Were this a murder mystery story, I would by now have done the unthinkable and jumped ahead to the last chapter.

The one thing that bothers me most is that this is yet another example of overreach by both the police department and the news media. The police are already trying to convict Patrick Mikes Jr with the help of the media and I find that appalling. In my humble opinion, the law enforcement spokesperson should not be spouting off the way he has to the press. If this young man is guilty, let the courts decide, not the news media.

As for my experience with the press, both as an outsider and former insider, I'll save that for another day, but I do have nothing but contempt for the pond scum.

Patrick Mikes Sr was a person I may have met in the past and would have been a person I could have enjoyed long conversations with had fate been kinder. Although there is really no hope to his survival, I pray his end was not at the hands of his son, especially as it has been suggested to me by those who know that this is highly impractical and the very thought of it is depressing enough. I still cannot get over and remain highly annoyed over the on going reports of credit card "fraud" which was so blown out of proportion by the police and news media.

I do want to believe the authorities did a proper investigation and that they had solid evidence against the accused, but when the media starts reporting wild rumors and speculation as fact and the authorities seem to encourage it, I have a serious problem with the motives and intentions of our law enforcement and that is not an idea I enjoy.

Oldkentuck, what movie theater in Holly? I thought it was Great Lakes Crossing which is in Auburn Hills. Iirc.
Also i'd imagine all those circled marks might have been possible areas to test just from the initial crime scene tech. What a tech sees & how they see it would be from a differnt perspective than what I would see & i'd be thankful if they over tested & found nothing rather than the opposite. Mabe they were'nt thinking blood but saliva or other fluid.??idk
Someone mentioned contruction on I75. I luv backroads. There is always alternate route that does'nt involve the higway. So many dirt roads.
I hope they find Mr.Mikes today. I cant imagine family waiting to hear this news.

The search for a missing Troy father continues as a court hearing for his son has been rescheduled for Aug. 13.

Patrick Mikes Jr., charged with misusing his brother's credit card the day before his father was noticed missing, was to appear today for a preliminary exam conference in 52-3 District Court in Rochester Hills with the exam scheduled for Aug. 13. Instead, the conference has been rescheduled for Aug. 13 and the exam is pending depending on the conference outcome, according to the court administrator's office.

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...es-missing-Troy-man-son-s-hearing-rescheduled

Am I the only one thinking that using your brother's credit card for purchases under $100-$200 is not the worst thing on earth? I mean....Unless you are checking your balance on your card every day, you might not even notice that charge right away. Of course, the older son obviously has some type of problem going on...not sure what it is. But I think that LE charging him with this financial fraud was just a way to keep him in jail while they further investigate what happened to the father. Any one else agree?

6pm fox2 news saying they could soon have enough evidence to charge jr. w/ murder. Something about if dna matches to sr. I'm running out the door. ill follow up later.

eta:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/

I can't find the story they did at 6. so I guess I'll say MOO that i heard that.?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back