MI MI - Raven Jeffries, 7, Detroit, 4 August 2006

Romulus police on Monday are expected to make an announcement regarding the badly-burned body found Aug. 7 in a field near Ecorse and Henry Ruff roads. The announcement likely will involve forensic evidence handled by Michigan State Police.

Meanwhile, police agencies say they are continuing to search for Raven Jeffries, a 7-year-old Detroit girl missing since Aug. 4.

Detroit Police Second Deputy Chief James Tate said that, contrary to some local media reports, authorities have no suspects and no arrests are imminent, Tate said.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060812/UPDATE/608120430

Meanwhile, police agencies say they are continuing to search for Raven Jeffries, a 7-year-old Detroit girl missing since Aug. 4.
So do they know (general idea) that it is NOT her and hence the statement above? OR is it to not tip off someone if they do in fact have their eyes on someone?!?

They obviously have their eyes on someone if they were able to obtain a search warrant for the storage facility in Taylor. LE can't get a search warrant without probable cause.

From clickondetroit.com

Police are expected to reveal DNA results on Monday of the burned body of a girl found in Romulus last week.A Detroit family continues to pray that the child is not their missing daughter, 7-year-old Raven Jeffries.Raven was last seen on McDonald Street in southwest Detroit outside the front door of her home at about 7 p.m. on Aug. 4, according to police and Local 4 reports. Police said on Friday that they may now have a suspect in mind in her disappearance, Local 4 reported.

Investigators served at least two search warrants in the city of Taylor in connection with the girl's disappearance, Local 4 reported. Employees at Metro Storage in Taylor said police spent several hours at the site and left at about 3 a.m. Friday with evidence, the station reported.Police continue to investigate a connection between Raven and the discovery of the body. Investigators said the clothing of the girl found dead matched Raven's clothing, according to the child's friends. Police also examined Raven's baby teeth and bedding in their investigation.Another candlelight vigil was held for Raven by family and friends on Sunday night.

*I thought they did NOT have asuspect in the case!?*

I had no doubt what the result of the DNA test would be and don't think anyone else on here did either. Yes, we all prayed that it would not be little Raven but if it had not been her it would still have been some missing/murdered child.

My prayers go out to the family and I hope that an arrest is made soon.

When is this stuff going to stop though? Your (general term) children are not even safe on their porch, in their yard, or hell even in their own houses tucked into bed at night.

It seems as though NOWHERE is safe anymore. When does the line cross from being protective to being way overly protective come in at? We are looked upon as being in the way too overprotective class and have actually lost family because we do not allow our ten year old (Our eldest) let alone our younger children, go off for a weekend with family out of state, or because we will not allow them out of the backyard unless one of us is right there with them in the front. So tell me, where exactly is safe anymore - does anyone know?
confused.gif

palmerk said:
www.clickondetroit.com just posted it. DNA confirms the burned body to be Raven. Prayers for her family.

Police are searching for an "unidentified" suspect.

Very sad news. I hope they've got some leads, evidence, something to lead to the person who did this. My prayers go to the family.

Jinxie we are exactly like you. I always feel like my kids are losing out because I won't let them do things that every child should be able to do without the fear of some sick A-HOLE hurting one of them or worse. I would love to send my kids to the country in Alabama where my parents live for the summer but i'm so afraid and it hurts my parents to no end because they think I don't trust them, but it's not that at all... Oh poor little Raven. :(

JinxieJada said:
When is this stuff going to stop though? Your (general term) children are not even safe on their porch, in their yard, or hell even in their own houses tucked into bed at night.

It seems as though NOWHERE is safe anymore. When does the line cross from being protective to being way overly protective come in at? We are looked upon as being in the way too overprotective class and have actually lost family because we do not allow our ten year old (Our eldest) let alone our younger children, go off for a weekend with family out of state, or because we will not allow them out of the backyard unless one of us is right there with them in the front. So tell me, where exactly is safe anymore - does anyone know? http://www.websleuths.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

JinxieJada said:

It seems as though NOWHERE is safe anymore. When does the line cross from being protective to being way overly protective come in at? We are looked upon as being in the way too overprotective class and have actually lost family because we do not allow our ten year old (Our eldest) let alone our younger children, go off for a weekend with family out of state, or because we will not allow them out of the backyard unless one of us is right there with them in the front. So tell me, where exactly is safe anymore - does anyone know?
confused.gif

In this case, wasn't she outside alone? I'm NOT blaming anyone, I'm just asking a question.

From what I've went back and read, yes she was alone on but she was on the FRONT PORCH of her home (caps was for emphasis, not shouting at you!) I think that's what I find most disturbing about some of these children missing...they are in their own yard, on their property or hell even IN their home. We're not talking someone who just let their child roam the streets (or at least, I haven't heard anything relating to that - IE her family didn't care, let her roam etc etc) we're talking about a child on her front porch! Or look at Destiny in Utah, she was in her backyard at the time. I'm afraid to even let my kids play at the neighbors house because "you never know" who's safe and who's a sick (insert expletive here) who's going to pull something sick/harmful/stupid with your child. So how does one draw that fine line in the sand of being overly cautious while still letting your kids "be a kid"?

JinxieJada said:
From what I've went back and read, yes she was alone on but she was on the FRONT PORCH of her home (caps was for emphasis, not shouting at you!) I think that's what I find most disturbing about some of these children missing...they are in their own yard, on their property or hell even IN their home. We're not talking someone who just let their child roam the streets (or at least, I haven't heard anything relating to that - IE her family didn't care, let her roam etc etc) we're talking about a child on her front porch! Or look at Destiny in Utah, she was in her backyard at the time. I'm afraid to even let my kids play at the neighbors house because "you never know" who's safe and who's a sick (insert expletive here) who's going to pull something sick/harmful/stupid with your child. So how does one draw that fine line in the sand of being overly cautious while still letting your kids "be a kid"?

Thanks for your response. I know where I draw the line with my own children, but I can't speak for anyone else. Unfortunately, I guess what we're learning from cases like this one, or like Destiny's is that you cannot allow your children outside alone - period.

From ClickonDetroit:

Authorities said there are several suspects they are investigating, including family members, according to Local 4.

Police also said that information about a storage facility in Taylor being searched last week was misinformation.

Mabel said:
From ClickonDetroit:

Authorities said there are several suspects they are investigating, including family members, according to Local 4.

Police also said that information about a storage facility in Taylor being searched last week was misinformation.
This is so sad:( Nobody deserves to die like that, especially an innocent 7 yo girl. I'm glad LE has several suspects in mind. I expect an arrest in this case soon. Prayers go out to the family.

As silly as it sounds, thank God it has been so hot in Missouri this summer and my kids haven't played outside!

I knew it would be Raven because of the clothing but I didn't want it to be. I hate that some pervert did this to this cute little girl. We don't know that she stayed on the porch like her brother told her to do. She may have gone into the front yard and someone could have grabbed her like they did Samantha R.
Regardless though, she probably wasn't far from where she was supposed to be. I wonder what the length of time was between when her brother went down the street to a neighbors and her mom came home? Just how long was it before someone got her.

The police are looking at family too? That doesn't sound good for the brother. I sincerely hope he had nothing to do with this. How would the mom deal with something like that? Will it take a long time for her bed covers to be tested? I think that is why they are checking the bedding...the brother. I wonder if anyone saw anything....like the neighbors. Did they see Raven outside on the porch?

Just an observation, with no judgment intended.... From the interviews I have seen on the news, the brother is totally devastated. The mom, on the other hand, comes across as very unaffected. Regardless of how this turns out, I will always question the mother's total lack of emotion.

Mabel said:
Just an observation, with no judgment intended.... From the interviews I have seen on the news, the brother is totally devastated. The mom, on the other hand, comes across as very unaffected. Regardless of how this turns out, I will always question the mother's total lack of emotion.
Mabel,

I have found from experience, that sometimes, in a case like this when someone is displaying extreme emotions then they are involved in some way in the crime. In part, they are "showing" everyone how upset they are at the loss of their family member and part of it is the "oh crap" what did I do factor. I have been at more than one crime scene where the person who appeared to be the most devasted ended up being the guilty one.
The same with lack of emotions, some people just do not show thier emotions in public and then fall apart when away from watchful eyes.

Oh boy then I would be in trouble because I don't handle tragedy well...

Shadow205 said:
Mabel,

I have found from experience, that sometimes, in a case like this when someone is displaying extreme emotions then they are involved in some way in the crime. In part, they are "showing" everyone how upset they are at the loss of their family member and part of it is the "oh crap" what did I do factor. I have been at more than one crime scene where the person who appeared to be the most devasted ended up being the guilty one.
The same with lack of emotions, some people just do not show thier emotions in public and then fall apart when away from watchful eyes.

Shadow205 said:
Mabel,

I agree. There's no way to tell by just watching how someone reacts. Sometimes you have to hold it together or you'll never be able to get it back. Raven's brother will no doubt blame himself forever because he watched her leave the house and didn't stop her. Her mother will blame herself because she left her with her older brother. Whether any of this actually has anything to do with it won't matter. That's just how we are when something happens. You think what could I have done to change the circumstances and it just sticks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back