MI MI - Tammy Clements, 14, Niles, 1 Jan 1980

Sad to be missing so long with two families never knowing what happened to Tammy. Could she have vanished by choice and run into trouble that's never surfaced ? Or was this DV covered up and no one was looking for her ....MOO

She does resemble her quite a bit! I think it’d be a great idea to submit this one. Like you said, it can’t hurt.
I did submit the possible match to NamUs yesterday and got a response within the hour after I sent it. Here is the response:

Thank you for your submission, we appreciate your time and support.

NamUs staff will review the submitted information. Additionally, we will notify the investigating agencies for their consideration if the agencies have not been previously notified.

Please note, identification and exclusions are only made and/or confirmed by investigating agencies. The results of comparisons may or may not be made available to the public for investigatory reasons.

Tammy's missing date is hard to ascertain. I see May 1 yet it seems she was not very closely supervised once having moved (with her father?) 1980 doesn't even seem certain. And that even as a young teen she was allowed to stay on her own rather than move with the rest of the family? This type of neglect of a teen can be a cover for something else-but it is impossible to clarify details after so many years. Coming up on 41 years missing. I'm unclear how much parents or others searched for her, or who had legal custody of her at the time. Who was she staying with when father returned to MI and "she refused to go"? Prayers she is alive and well out there, but any number of things could've happened to her and she'd be 55 years old now!

Additionally, located her brother's obituary from 2019. It states that Tammy predeceased him-?

Obituary for Dennis Clifton Clements | Halbritter Wickens Funeral Services

Last edited:
Tammy's missing date is hard to ascertain. I see May 1 yet it seems she was not very closely supervised once having moved (with her father?) 1980 doesn't even seem certain. And that even as a young teen she was allowed to stay on her own rather than move with the rest of the family? This type of neglect of a teen can be a cover for something else-but it is impossible to clarify details after so many years. Coming up on 41 years missing. I'm unclear how much parents or others searched for her, or who had legal custody of her at the time. Who was she staying with when father returned to MI and "she refused to go"? Prayers she is alive and well out there, but any number of things could've happened to her and she'd be 55 years old now!

Additionally, located her brother's obituary from 2019. It states that Tammy predeceased him-?

Obituary for Dennis Clifton Clements | Halbritter Wickens Funeral Services
I think it's assumed that Tammy died not long after (or before) she was reported missing.

I think it's assumed that Tammy died not long after (or before) she was reported missing.
I can see that being suspected-but I don't think anyone can say if she's alive or not. I've read other obituaries for relatives of missing people and they list the missing but not as deceased-or may actually say that person is missing. It disturbs me how, considering she was only 15, so little was known about her whereabouts, that she would've been kind of adrift between parents in MI, NE, even being allowed supposedly to go off to CA with ppl she'd met in Lincoln.

If anyone knows of a podcast or episode about Tammy's disappearance, I'd really like to learn more about the investigation early on or more recently.

I can see that being suspected-but I don't think anyone can say if she's alive or not. I've read other obituaries for relatives of missing people and they list the missing but not as deceased-or may actually say that person is missing. It disturbs me how, considering she was only 15, so little was known about her whereabouts, that she would've been kind of adrift between parents in MI, NE, even being allowed supposedly to go off to CA with ppl she'd met in Lincoln.

If anyone knows of a podcast or episode about Tammy's disappearance, I'd really like to learn more about the investigation early on or more recently.
Missing in Michigan - Lost Girls - Already Gone Podcast - Omny.fm

I covered Tammy's case. I did a lot of work on it too, talking with LE in multiple states. I even spoke with her step brothers.

Missing in Michigan - Lost Girls - Already Gone Podcast - Omny.fm

I covered Tammy's case. I did a lot of work on it too, talking with LE in multiple states. I even spoke with her step brothers.

Wow, Nina Michigan: great job on the podcast! I learned a lot and you've a great broadcaster/podcaster voice and style. Anyone with interest in Tammy's disappearance needs to listen to that.

It would seem from Dennis Jr. obituary, Tammy still has two half brothers, S. and T. plus stepbrother R.S. along with some nieces and nephews around Niles.

Interesting, too, the case of "Bill" you discussed on same podcast. My mother was born in Detroit, her family came from Pentwater. Bill would've been about my age now, I'm from Ohio though more east of Cleveland, and worked with several group homes (though quite a bit after the time of Bill's death).

Anyhow thanks for the info and I'll be subscribing to Almost Gone.

Tammy Sue Clements
tammy_sue_clements_1.jpg
tammy_sue_clements_2.jpg
tammy_sue_clements_4.jpg
tammy_sue_clements_5.jpg
clements_tammy6.jpg

Tammy, circa 1980

• Missing Since 01/01/1980
  • Missing From Lincoln, Nebraska
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/09/1965 (55)
  • Age 14 - 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'2 - 5'5, 120 - 130 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blond/brown hair, brown eyes. Tammy is supposed to wear eyeglasses but often doesn't wear them. She has a gap between her front teeth; her two front teeth form an inverted V shape.
Details of Disappearance

Tammy was last seen sometime in 1980. She had lived with her father, stepmother and two half-brothers in Niles, Michigan. The family moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, but later decided to return to Niles. Tammy got upset about the move and refused to join them.

During her last phone conversation with her mother, Tammy said she and some friends were going to California. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case. Michigan police are investigating.

Investigating Agency
  • Niles Police Department 269-683-1313
Source Information

Perhaps I missed something. She was reported missing in 2015 by her brother, correct? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding but that seems a huge amount of time for them to have thought she was alive.

So Tammy's FB page Missing Tammy Sue Clements disappeared.
Her NamUs profile was modified today, 10/4/22

She currently has 11 rule outs
UP15630
07/03/1984 (this rule out's NamUs profile is now gone too)
Cuyahoga
OH

UP8419
01/16/2001
Isle of Wight
VA

UP4790
04/24/1981
Miami
OH

UP6661
02/03/1991