Found Deceased MI - Xin Rong, 27, Ann Arbor, 15 Mar 2017

Ive been following this since I am a fellow Wolverine and it made the front page of the Free Press here in Detroit. It is very strange to me that it has immediately been deemed a suicide? There is no body. No foot prints in the snow that he was even in the plane when it crashed. If you are going to commit suicide (and like someone else said, I by no means condone that), but if you are going to do that why not fly it into Lake Superior and go down with the plane knowing that you would not be harming anyone else. But jumping and not knowing where the plane would end up could have taken the lives of several innocent folks. It's just a very interesting case and to not have a clue about what happened to him is truly a mystery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to Ws Dennis127!
Time will tell (hopefully) what actually happened in this very strange case.

Hi Dotr
Thank you for the welcome to WS!
What happened was this Docturate student at the University of Michigan rented an airplane in Ann Arbor with his set end route being Harbor Springs. He left on March 15 and flew like 450 miles into the Ontario Canada area (after he flew over Lake Superior to get there). His plane was found like a week later crashed in the Ontario snow covered wilderness. There was no pilot found and no footprints in the fresh snow showing that the pilot did NOT go down with the plane. The door hatch was ajar leaving them to believe that he jumped somewhere along the way with the airplane set on auto pilot. The mystery is "where did he go"? They are ruling it a suicide but if your gonna commit suicide why not go down with the plane? Why jump from the plane while in flight with the plane on auto pilot? Where did he go? Both U of M and the Canadian officials are calling it a suicide. But, there is a Transportation expert investigating it and he said he has never seen anything like this in his 29 years? Did he parachute out along the way and is alive somewhere? Is he trying to establish a new identity by doing this? Crazier things have happened before but I find it very interesting that they aren't discussing it further? Why let the plane go down by itself with the chance of it crashing into a residential community with the possibility of homicides? It just doesn't make sense to commit suicide like that. Like I said before if his TRUE intentions were to commit suicide why not just fly it directly into Lake Superior, why jump somewhere unknown unless his intentions were NOT suicidal? It is just interesting to follow and I'll be interested with what the expert from the dept of transportation has to say about this in his evaluation?
What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I put myself through grad school working as a Certified Flight Instructor. With a parachute on, in the 172, you'd be forward enough in the seat you might have to move the seat back a ways to rotate (takeoff, pulling yoke back). But he's fairly slightly built, doing so might have meant he didn't have rudder authority, as he'd be too far back for his feet to reach the pedals. Possibly doable - but I'm thinking not. Either jumped or opened door to urinate with seatbelt off and fell out in my opinion. Sad for his family though.

Unidentified Human remains found on Victoria Island on Lake Superior: NetNewsLedger - OPP Investigating Human Remains on Victoria Island on Lake Superior
This sounds interesting!
Victoria-Island-Thunder-Bay-Lake-Superior.jpg

Map showing Victoria Island in Neebing south of Thunder Bay on Lake Superior

Unidentified remains in Saginaw, MI may be of a man who fell from a plane (photos of clothing released): MI - MI - Saginaw Co, Remains with Boots in Woods off Chapin Rd, Sept 2018

ETA map for reference: Google Maps

Xin Rong rented the plane in Ann Arbor, filed a flight plan for Harbor Springs and the plane was found crashed in Marathon, ON. The second point is location of the UID remains which is right along his projected flight path. If he left the plane on autopilot when he bailed it could have continued to fly on course until it ran out of fuel. MOO.

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense that these remains may belong to XR. Even the clothes look like something he would wear based on his FB photos and YouTube video, not to mention the time of year he went missing. A button up shirt, appearing to be striped, sweater, belted pants with a small waist and boots would be an outfit that a young man such as him may have worn on a cold day in March. If it turns out to be him, he likely jumped from the plane not long after leaving Ann Arbor. Do we know if anyone has called this possibility in to the authorities? Has his wife been contacted regarding the clothes that were found with the remains?

Xin Rong

MOO

Unidentified remains in Saginaw, MI may be of a man who fell from a plane (photos of clothing released): MI - MI - Saginaw Co, Remains with Boots in Woods off Chapin Rd, Sept 2018

ETA map for reference: Google Maps

Xin Rong rented the plane in Ann Arbor, filed a flight plan for Harbor Springs and the plane was found crashed in Marathon, ON. The second point is location of the UID remains which is right along his projected flight path. If he left the plane on autopilot when he bailed it could have continued to fly on course until it ran out of fuel. MOO.
And these remains have just been confirmed to have belonged to Xin Rong:
After 3 years, Saginaw John Doe (2018) is now Identified

MLive.com
ttps://dnasolves.com/articles/saginaw_county_john_doe_2018/
''Saginaw County Sheriff's Office Partners with Othram to Identify 2018 John Doe
The unknown man is now known to be 27-year-old Mr. Xin Rong, a PhD student at University of Michigan''
''Summary

In September 2018, the owner of a wooded piece of land in Chapin Township, MI, was checking game cameras and discovered the remains of an unidentified man. The unidentified man had been fully skeletonized by the time he was discovered, suggesting a time of death at around 1-5 years prior to discovery. An autopsy confirmed that the cause of death was severe blunt force trauma. The state of decomposition made it difficult to confirm the man's physical attributes, but pathologists were able to determine that the man was likely an adult male between the ages of 25 and 55, who stood at around 5’10 feet tall. There was no definitive assessment of biogeographical ancestry. The unknown man was fully clothed and had black Sketchers work boots, a 32-inch Calvin Klein belt, and a Boston Trader’s sweatshirt.

Forensic anthropologists and police investigators believe the man's death could be a homicide. Many of his bones were broken, consistent with the unknown man being severely beaten, hit by a vehicle, or falling from a high point. Investigators are hopeful that identifying this man may lead to answers surrounding his mysterious death. Investigators exhausted all available leads, including DNA testing through CODIS.

In 2021, Det. / Sgt. Simons from the Saginaw County Sheriff's Office was referred to Othram Inc. Sgt. Simons engaged Othram and skeletal remains were sent to Othram's lab. The lab used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive genealogical profile. From genealogical search, based on the profile, Othram scientists gave Sgt. Simons information that updated the biogeographical ancestry of the unknown man to East Asian. Sgt. Simons took this information and along with Det. North searched for open cases involving missing Asian males in the state of Michigan during the time frame established earlier. A person of interest was developed: Xin Rong, a 27-year-old, Asian male, PHD student of University of Michigan, who was reported missing in 2017.

University of Michigan police were contacted, and the Xin Rong case was discussed and dental records were sent to Dr. Hefner for comparison. Dr. Hefner was able to make a positive identification, confirming that the remains belong to Mr. Xin Rong.''

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back