Michelle McNamara's Last Book I'll Be Gone in the Dark/ Golden State Serial Killer

Discussion in 'Serial Killers' started by Tricia, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

This is Michelle McNamara's last book. McNamara passed away unexpectedly in 2016. She was married to comedian Patton Oswalt.

We have people talking about the book here and there on the forum I thought it best to make one thread.

Now that we know about the background let's discuss this amazing book.

The Golden State Killer: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer.

This book sounds INCREDIBLE.

Here is what Stephen King said about the book.

“I’ll Be Gone in the Dark will undoubtedly be stocked in the True Crime section, which is fine, but in so many ways it’s a brilliant genre-buster. It’s propulsive, can’t-stop-now reading, which makes it all too easy to ignore the clean and focused writing.
    What readers need to know—what makes this book so special—is that it deals with two obsessions, one light and one dark. The Golden State Killer is the dark half; Michelle McNamara’s is the light half. It’s a journey into two minds, one sick and disordered, the other intelligent and determined. I loved this book.” —Stephen King

Can't wait to read what she has to say.

Shouldn't this case be solved by now?

2. SuziSleuth

SuziSleuth New Member

I'm gonna buy the audio version. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator

Be sure and come back and let us know what you think. People I've spoken with say the book is amazing. I'm so sad she is gone.

4. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll order to my kindle. Sounds like a must read.

5. ladymoffat

ladymoffat Member

I'm eager to finish the book and join the discussion! I pray we get this guy this year.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

6. MTSnowBunny

MTSnowBunny Member

Read the book...it's phenomenal. She really was obsessed with this and was a fantastic writer. WELL worth the investment. Audible has it available, sign up for the promo and listen to it for free :)

7. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member

There is a mini series on the GSK on ID tonight at 9pm, it's parts 3 and 4 tonight. 1&2 were last night same time, but ID will run all four parts in a row starting 2AM Sunday morning/Sat night. It's a good overview of what's going on to date, if you're not too familiar.

8. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...e-in-the-dark-a-masterpiece-of-reportage.html
    March 9 2018
    By Robert Wiersema
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

I finished it yesterday. This is not a complaint, just an observation: She was such a gifted writer and so thorough it was jarring to jump between her completed chapters and the chapters that had been put together by others after her death.

How he hasn't been caught... I don't know. It's like he's a ghost.

10. charminglane

charminglane Helcat!

It is on my desk at work. We just received it and I had it on hold!

11. meticulously

meticulously Former smartphone blogger

12. Lanesmommy

Lanesmommy Active Member

It’s a very well written book and the first part is amazing, although I was slightly disappointed it was basically the LA mag article with a few more point added in. I realize that her passing made it unable to complete the book and of course she would include her previous writings. It was a very good book overall and I enjoyed it. I decided to buy it on iBooks instead of at my local bookstore as it was cheaper ($14.99) on iBooks.

13. JnRyan

JnRyan Well-Known Member

I had just finished the book "A Special Kind of Evil" on the Colonial Parkway Murders. I liked McNamara's book better, but to me it seemed to come apart in the last part. Of course, this is because she didn't have the opportunity to finish the book and others had to do it for her. They did a good job, especially with the geographic profiling, but it just wasn't the same as McNamara's writing. It's sad she didn't get a chance to finish her work because the book would have been so much better. And she might have been the final piece to the puzzle that puts it all together

14. billthom56

billthom56 Verified Insider - Colonial Parkway Murders

Michelle McNamara was a wonderful writer and a great person. She was extremely helpful to us in the Colonial Parkway Murders, writing about the case, offering assistance, resources and ideas. Michelle and writer/researcher Paul Haynes even helped us research suspects in the Colonial Parkway case. Our last conversation was a 3.5 hour breakfast that stretched until lunchtime; she was so animated excited about the work they were doing, and determined to finish the files they were reviewing and complete the book. I highly recommend her book, and you can see some of her other writing at her True Crime Diary website.

http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=145

Bill Thomas
    Brother of Cathleen Thomas
    Colonial Parkway Murders

15. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/books/article209784529.html
    April 25 2018

16. indianwin2001

indianwin2001 Member

Thank You Michelle for your hard work---RIP

17. antifoundationalist

antifoundationalist New Member

18. Tiss56

Tiss56 New Member

Michelle and Paul Haynes made a professional team in their own right. The book outlines clearly where Michelle wanted to go: submit GSK's DNA to a large genealogy site. Creative thinking. And Paul came up within 1/2 mile of where the GSK likely lived in Citrus Heights. Incredible sleuthing and work. I wonder, did Michelle suggest that idea to the investigative team and they got it done? No matter, kudos to all (especially Michelle, Paul Haynes and Holes for never giving up!

19. PinkPrincessPoop

PinkPrincessPoop Well-Known Member

I'm only just starting it but I'm excited and so far it's good. I got a Patton Oswalt signed copy. :D

20. kanzz

kanzz kanzz=kansas

Would this case have ever been reopened or would the DNA ever have been submitted to the genealogy site if not for her?
    Maybe. But maybe not.

And let's give credit where credit is due: Michelle McNamara gave this case it's new name: Golden State Killer.
    Despite the objections of some- this moniker fits, where the others fail.

Brava Michelle McNamara!