Michelle McNamara's Last Book I'll Be Gone in the Dark/ Golden State Serial Killer

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

This is Michelle McNamara's last book. McNamara passed away unexpectedly in 2016. She was married to comedian Patton Oswalt.

We have people talking about the book here and there on the forum I thought it best to make one thread.

Now that we know about the background let's discuss this amazing book.

The Golden State Killer: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer.

This book sounds INCREDIBLE.

Here is what Stephen King said about the book.

“I’ll Be Gone in the Dark will undoubtedly be stocked in the True Crime section, which is fine, but in so many ways it’s a brilliant genre-buster. It’s propulsive, can’t-stop-now reading, which makes it all too easy to ignore the clean and focused writing.
What readers need to know—what makes this book so special—is that it deals with two obsessions, one light and one dark. The Golden State Killer is the dark half; Michelle McNamara’s is the light half. It’s a journey into two minds, one sick and disordered, the other intelligent and determined. I loved this book.” —Stephen King

Can't wait to read what she has to say.

Shouldn't this case be solved by now?

I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

This is Michelle McNamara's last book. McNamara passed away unexpectedly in 2016. She was married to comedian Patton Oswalt.

We have people talking about the book here and there on the forum I thought it best to make one thread.

The Golden State Killer: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer.

“I’ll Be Gone in the Dark will undoubtedly be stocked in the True Crime section, which is fine, but in so many ways it’s a brilliant genre-buster. It’s propulsive, can’t-stop-now reading, which makes it all too easy to ignore the clean and focused writing.
What readers need to know—what makes this book so special—is that it deals with two obsessions, one light and one dark. The Golden State Killer is the dark half; Michelle McNamara’s is the light half. It’s a journey into two minds, one sick and disordered, the other intelligent and determined. I loved this book.” —Stephen King

I'm gonna buy the audio version. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm gonna buy the audio version. Can't wait.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Be sure and come back and let us know what you think. People I've spoken with say the book is amazing. I'm so sad she is gone.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll order to my kindle. Sounds like a must read.

I'm eager to finish the book and join the discussion! I pray we get this guy this year.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

Read the book...it's phenomenal. She really was obsessed with this and was a fantastic writer. WELL worth the investment. Audible has it available, sign up for the promo and listen to it for free :)

There is a mini series on the GSK on ID tonight at 9pm, it's parts 3 and 4 tonight. 1&2 were last night same time, but ID will run all four parts in a row starting 2AM Sunday morning/Sat night. It's a good overview of what's going on to date, if you're not too familiar.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainme...e-in-the-dark-a-masterpiece-of-reportage.html
March 9 2018
By Robert Wiersema
[h=1]Michelle McNamara’s I’ll Be Gone in the Dark ‘a masterpiece of reportage’[/h]
When she died in April, 2016, Los Angeles writer Michelle McNamara left behind a devoted husband, a young daughter, and an obsession. McNamara, who passed away unexpectedly in her sleep at age 46, had a long-time fascination with unsolved mysteries, and was the author of TrueCrimeDiary.com, a website which sought “to find the angle others have overlooked” in cold cases and ongoing investigations.
To her credit, McNamara doesn’t focus exclusively on the unknown perpetrator. The book is an empathic look at those whose lives are affected by those crimes, including victims, family members and investigators, many of whom have carried these unsolved cases into their retirement, often actively continuing to work new angles as they arise. McNamara demonstrates a deft hand here, fully evoking these individuals distinctively and with a minimum of flourish, to often heartbreaking effect.
attachment.php

Attachments

• i_ll_be_gone_in_the_dark.jpg
    i_ll_be_gone_in_the_dark.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 322
I finished it yesterday. This is not a complaint, just an observation: She was such a gifted writer and so thorough it was jarring to jump between her completed chapters and the chapters that had been put together by others after her death.

How he hasn't been caught... I don't know. It's like he's a ghost.

It is on my desk at work. We just received it and I had it on hold!

It’s a very well written book and the first part is amazing, although I was slightly disappointed it was basically the LA mag article with a few more point added in. I realize that her passing made it unable to complete the book and of course she would include her previous writings. It was a very good book overall and I enjoyed it. I decided to buy it on iBooks instead of at my local bookstore as it was cheaper ($14.99) on iBooks.

I had just finished the book "A Special Kind of Evil" on the Colonial Parkway Murders. I liked McNamara's book better, but to me it seemed to come apart in the last part. Of course, this is because she didn't have the opportunity to finish the book and others had to do it for her. They did a good job, especially with the geographic profiling, but it just wasn't the same as McNamara's writing. It's sad she didn't get a chance to finish her work because the book would have been so much better. And she might have been the final piece to the puzzle that puts it all together

I had just finished the book "A Special Kind of Evil" on the Colonial Parkway Murders. I liked McNamara's book better, but to me it seemed to come apart in the last part. Of course, this is because she didn't have the opportunity to finish the book and others had to do it for her. They did a good job, especially with the geographic profiling, but it just wasn't the same as McNamara's writing. It's sad she didn't get a chance to finish her work because the book would have been so much better. And she might have been the final piece to the puzzle that puts it all together

Michelle McNamara was a wonderful writer and a great person. She was extremely helpful to us in the Colonial Parkway Murders, writing about the case, offering assistance, resources and ideas. Michelle and writer/researcher Paul Haynes even helped us research suspects in the Colonial Parkway case. Our last conversation was a 3.5 hour breakfast that stretched until lunchtime; she was so animated excited about the work they were doing, and determined to finish the files they were reviewing and complete the book. I highly recommend her book, and you can see some of her other writing at her True Crime Diary website.

http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=145

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/books/article209784529.html
April 25 2018
The book “I’ll Be Gone in the Dark" by writer Michelle McNamara helped re-energize interest in the decades-cold case of the Golden State Killer, who terrorized California in a string of at least 45 rapes and at least a dozen murders.

Now Sacramento authorities are expected to announce the arrest of a man suspected in at least some of those crimes.

Michelle McNamara was a wonderful writer and a great person. She was extremely helpful to us in the Colonial Parkway Murders, writing about the case, offering assistance, resources and ideas. Michelle and writer/researcher Paul Haynes even helped us research suspects in the Colonial Parkway case. Our last conversation was a 3.5 hour breakfast that stretched until lunchtime; she was so animated excited about the work they were doing, and determined to finish the files they were reviewing and complete the book. I highly recommend her book, and you can see some of her other writing at her True Crime Diary website.

http://www.truecrimediary.com/index.cfm?page=cases&id=145

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Michelle and Paul Haynes made a professional team in their own right. The book outlines clearly where Michelle wanted to go: submit GSK's DNA to a large genealogy site. Creative thinking. And Paul came up within 1/2 mile of where the GSK likely lived in Citrus Heights. Incredible sleuthing and work. I wonder, did Michelle suggest that idea to the investigative team and they got it done? No matter, kudos to all (especially Michelle, Paul Haynes and Holes for never giving up!

I'm only just starting it but I'm excited and so far it's good. I got a Patton Oswalt signed copy. :D

Would this case have ever been reopened or would the DNA ever have been submitted to the genealogy site if not for her?
Maybe. But maybe not.

And let's give credit where credit is due: Michelle McNamara gave this case it's new name: Golden State Killer.
Despite the objections of some- this moniker fits, where the others fail.

Brava Michelle McNamara!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail