Miley Cyrus - what the heck happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day it was a vulgar display, no matter who did it. Whatever happened to classy seduction? This generation seems to have forgotten the value of mystery and unattainability and glamour.

I do believe Miley is desperate. She can't sing, she can't dance, she can't write songs, she can't act and she isn't beautiful by Hollywood standards. Heck - she isn't even pretty IMO. She may last awhile in entertainment. But not too long. She just doesn't have it going on.

Soooo, women who aren't pretty by "Hollywood standards" aren't allowed to perform?

Soooo, women who aren't pretty by "Hollywood standards" aren't allowed to perform?

No! And I don't want to see flabby butt flaps, tongues in bazaar rabid dog like fashion hanging out, or the massaging of another's genitals with her butt. (Unless I wanted to watch bad *advertiser censored*.)
People that can not dance, shouldn't. People that can't sing or sound decent without auto tune shouldn't either... They should make way for people with actual talent.

At the end of the day it was a vulgar display, no matter who did it. Whatever happened to classy seduction? This generation seems to have forgotten the value of mystery and unattainability and glamour.

I do believe Miley is desperate. She can't sing, she can't dance, she can't write songs, she can't act and she isn't beautiful by Hollywood standards. Heck - she isn't even pretty IMO. She may last awhile in entertainment. But not too long. She just doesn't have it going on.

And then a thread about M.C. turns into a thread about Prince. Vulgar is vulgar. Like Jeffery Dahmer saying "But Jack the Ripper did it". Somehow that makes it ok. In any case, her fifteen minutes are up.

And then a thread about M.C. turns into a thread about Prince. Vulgar is vulgar. Like Jeffery Dahmer saying "But Jack the Ripper did it". Somehow that makes it ok. In any case, her fifteen minutes are up.

Yeah, that's why her latest single has been Top 3 on the Hot 100 for weeks now, sold about 2 million copies, etc. Everyone is talking about her latest performance. She's still successful and relevant. She's been a household name since '06 (so way more than 15 minutes) and she's not going away anytime soon.

Has the thread Godwin'd yet, if the Miley "issue" is analogized to Jack the Ripper and/or Jeffrey Dahmer? :facepalm:

And who gets to decide what's vulgar? That's a personal standard, not a societal one.

I wouldn't say vulgar. I would say artless.

The performance looked like someone's home video of their child performing at school. (If you remove the twerking.) MC's advisors should tell her when her performance just is not ready.

I know she wants to move away from little girl image, but this only magnified that image.

I hope her advisors help her find a suitable persona. This will be one of many attempts, as I don't see this poor performance being anything lasting. Or shall I say, anything to be proud of.

Ok I'm gonna say it wasn't that big of a deal. I think maybe its a generation thing. I don't think pop stars are really singers. They entertain. It's all about packaging and promotion and looks. Singing is the least measured thing. You have to be marketable.

I've seen nikki minaj or lil Kim do worse. Maybe cause its Miley people couldn't handle raunchiness. I watch award shows every year. Yeah Miley is no lady gaga, who I adore but if she wants to twerk, which has been around forever btw, then so be it. Has anyone wstched twerking videos on youtube? what miley does is very very tame!! I love the song and the video. It won't ruin her career at all. She is doing the sexy bad girl thing now so this is playing that up.

I love robin thicke, he's been around forever but his blurred lines song is a huge hit now, but he is a RandB crooner. I don't see the lyrics pointing to rape.

But this is pop music today. Not every artist, but it's more turned up. Every generation has the sexy bad girl and Miley is the one to do it. So
Twerk on sistah.

See below:

I object! I am not some 70 yr old lady, sitting here judging her singing skills, tut tutting over a bit of sex:scared:

I dare you to find a single person who thinks that was entertaining....... She can twerk and grind to her little heart's content, for all I care, but that was just crap, dressed in a bear suit whilst faux masturbating.

That's the thing, if her performance was a bit entertaining, people would be much more forgiving about her stripper dancing. Have other performers been sexual in videos and on stage? Have entertainers been pushing the envelope for decades? Absolutely.

But the problem here is There was zero substance to it. The singing was terrible, she obviously can't dance and she had no message of any kind. No artistry, no talent and nothing that entertained. All I remember is gross tongue thrusting, grimacing, gyrating, Crotch rubbing and butt grinding. I think an actual strip club show would be more entertaining.

You know, there is a reason so many fellow entertainers have been totally critical of this performance and displayed an obvious distaste for it. That has NEVER been the reaction to Madonna, Lil Kim, Nicki Minaj, etc. and that's because Miley took all the actual entertaining out of the performance and simply did a Lucky Lady floor show, except one performed by a 13 year old who is trying to approximate what "sexy" is.

I really have to wonder what sort of "entertainment" this woman has over-indulged in for her to conclude that what she did was appropriate for an all ages audience.

I have no idea what twerking is but Miley Cyrus has the figure of a boy. No figure. The dancers were curvy and had some weight but she just looked silly and not at all sexy or whatever the point was supposed to be. The whole performance from the whole bunch was silly, imo. Was she supposed to look like a kid in that onesie before ripping it off? Maybe it's all more perverted than older people can make sense of.

Twerking apparently originated in west Africa and was meant to showcase certain attributes of the lady dancing. Yes, to whoever said women come In all shapes and sizes. But I saw a comment by someone that made me Laugh. Something to the effect of, "that wasn't Twerking. That was flapping two saltines together!"

A lot of the general public wants Miley to fail. Every time she does anything remotely scandalous, we get all these comments about how she's going to have a sex tape soon, going to rehab, will overdose, get arrested, a meltdown etc. People want that stuff to happen. They want her to pay for being super successful, famous, and wealthy as a child.

Oh goodness. Yes, I think there's a measure of shadenfruede when it comes to any big celeb on the part of some of the general public. That's a representation of our meaner side as a society.

But I also think it is grossly unfair to characterize all of us here criticizing Miley's antics as simply an expression of our anger at her success and desire to see her fall. Again, that smacks to me of the trend these days among young, spoiled, entitled punks who act like jerks and then dare anyone to criticize saying theyre just jealous or "only God can judge me!"

Yes, i have no doubt that people have likely been predicting her decline into rehab, drugs and sex tapes for years now. But to excuse that as mere shadenfruede is fairly simplistic thinking. Because we all know the drill when it comes to highly exploited child stars who have parents applauding their exploitation. It is not so much wishful thinking as it is good odds to base a bet on.

Finally, besides the fact of her childhood exploitation and what that often means to such a child's future, there are actual facts that support rehab and sex tape predictions in this case. You state people have been making those predictions since she was a teen. I seem to recall some of that started at the time her parents thought it okay for a 15 year old to be photographed staring seductively into a camera, while on a bed wearing nothing but a sheet, and draped all over her own father, while wearing skin tight jeans and a belly-baring shirt.

Then a year later, her same parents felt it was great that their 16 year old rode in to a televised show on a candy truck and then slithered like a pole dancer around a candy pole, opening her legs like a stripper, to the audience.

I kind of think those may have been clues as to where this was all going, ya know?

But for me personally, I actually forgot all that. My comments about sex tapes and getting naked had to do purely with her latest constant twitter photos in which she purposefully posts pictures of herself showing underboob and B utt cheeks, coupled with this performance. IMO, this girl is dying to get naked in public because she believes that crass sexuality is edgy and mature.

I think she's mistaken.

She gives an embarrassing performance, and that means she's going to rehab, jail, releasing a sex tape, going to overdose? Posts about her dying in her 20's are absolutely ridiculous. There's a major overreaction by everyone. People were saying those same things back in 2009 after her TCA performance, and four years later, it still hasn't happened.

It's kind of hilarious and sad too to see what a 20-year-old brings out in people. Ever since she was a teenager, people's reactions to her seem to be a little too intense. People go absolutely nuts over little "scandalous" thing that she does.

You do know Miley is only 20? Do you also realize the song she performed was about partying on "Mali/Molly" all night and doing whatever they want because it's their house? You do understand Miley is now known for partying with drugs and has been for a few years?

Coupled with her childhood stardom and exploitative and spoiling parents, do you not think the predictions may be based on some reality?

I really have to wonder what sort of "entertainment" this woman has over-indulged in for her to conclude that what she did was appropriate for an all ages audience.

One thing though. The VMAs is not an all ages event. It was rated 14 years and up. And I don't think Miley is corrupting teenagers. They have likely seen worse already. It's the little girls and boys whose parents let them watch this stuff without comment that may be affected. In fact, it's little girls who are all over Fb thrusting their tongues out like Miley, not so much adult women.

See below:

That's the thing, if her performance was a bit entertaining, people would be much more forgiving about her stripper dancing. Have other performers been sexual in videos and on stage? Have entertainers been pushing the envelope for decades? Absolutely.

But the problem here is There was zero substance to it. The singing was terrible, she obviously can't dance and she had no message of any kind. No artistry, no talent and nothing that entertained. All I remember is gross tongue thrusting, grimacing, gyrating, Crotch rubbing and butt grinding. I think an actual strip club show would be more entertaining.

You know, there is a reason so many fellow entertainers have been totally critical of this performance and displayed an obvious distaste for it. That has NEVER been the reaction to Madonna, Lil Kim, Nicki Minaj, etc. and that's because Miley took all the actual entertaining out of the performance and simply did a Lucky Lady floor show, except one performed by a 13 year old who is trying to approximate what "sexy" is.

But so far, the only people who seem to not have been entertained are:

-Older women and men who are often offended by anything that doesn't conform to old fashioned "values"
-Men and women who *advertiser censored* shame women who are perceived as sexual

neither of whom would appear to be Miley's target audience.

She wasn't performing for anyone but her fans. Who looked like they were having a good time during the show.

So why is everyone else so upset?

This is the VMAs we're talking about, "controversy" is kind of a thing, which is why I'm pretty sure this whole thing was quite calculated and the fact everyone is talking about it means it worked.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/27/top-1...aused-controversy-at-the-awards-bash-3938998/

Again, never has there been this level of disdain and criticism on the part of FELLOW entertainers. Not with Madonna, not with Aguilera, Minaj, Britney.

Why?

Yes, it is very true that Miley wanted a reaction and
Buzz. Her twitter portends what is to come as she declared before the show that she was going to F up some *advertiser censored* at the VMAs.

But in the past, controversy and provocation has been coupled with some level of entertainment. The only level this reached was the kind where sweaty men in darkened rooms shove bills into women's G-strings.

The big reaction to this "act" was that Miley took the talent or art or hard working attempts at entertaining out of the performance and just engaged in what I still believe was an expression of serious, narcissistic panic.

There is a reason "desperation" is the word most often used in accounts of this bit.

And you gotta' know that when scores of fellow performers and stars, most if whom are very liberal, react with disdain, criticism or silence, the attempt to provoke with art just failed.

Miley engendered the disrespect of an entire room full of entertainers with her floor show Sunday night.

See below:

For the record, I've never seen a stripper that couldn't actually dance. Miley's performance was far less entertaining and the girl simply can't dance or twerk or sing or act

But so far, the only people who seem to not have been entertained are:

-Older women and men who are often offended by anything that doesn't conform to old fashioned "values"
-Men and women who *advertiser censored* shame women who are perceived as sexual

neither of whom would appear to be Miley's target audience.

She wasn't performing for anyone but her fans. Who looked like they were having a good time during the show.

So why is everyone else so upset?

Can we please stop with this? I am not an old woman nor am I conservative. I'm a liberal feminist from a huge family of professional entertainers on both sides -Flamenco dancers, singers and guitarists on one side, classical, jazz, Middle Eastern and punk musicians and dancers (belly dancing) on the other.

I grew up in the metal and punk scene. I've been to more underground shows than you can imagine. I got blood and wine spurted on me at Crash Worship shows, watched Marion do sex acts on herself at shows with the Insaints, I love drag shows, and my brother was good friends with Rancid and Green Day, Offspring, and Link 80, back in the day.

My parents were intellectual hippies from Europe and our home on Christams as a child was filled with artists, musicians, poets and performers, drinking, pot smoke and naked hippies sleeping under the piano which caused my brothers and I to giggle the next morning when we found them.

I favor museums, music of any kind, protests and politics. I have seen art shows so sacriligious it would make your head spin.

So can we stop with these generalizations and accusations of *advertiser censored* shaming? *advertiser censored* shaming is about shaming a woman for enjoying her sexuality. Miley writhes around with dead or angry eyes. There is no enjoyment on her part.

My criticism has zero to do with Puritanism. It has to do with the fact that Miley's act was vulgarity with absolutely nothing else. It was debasing to her and all women.

So please stop.

Again, never has there been this level of disdain and criticism on the part of FELLOW entertainers. Not with Madonna, not with Aguilera, Minaj, Britney.

Why?

SBM

Sorry, but what metric could you possibly be using here to measure the disdain of the entertainment industry? Twitter wasn't around during the big Madonna/Britney shocker. And what does it prove even if this thing you are stating as fact was even quantifiable? Possibly sour grapes on their part that she's the one getting 24 hour media coverage, the she is the "story" of this year's VMAs?

I'm also unmoved by the opinions of her talent. Aside from Lady Gaga, very few top-40 pop stars in the "Britney" mold have exceptional vocal skills, and they ALL use auto-tune. This argument is totally specious.

Editing to add: liberal females are completely capable of falling into *advertiser censored*-shaming without consciously realizing it. (I speak as one; I catch myself doing it and I have to make my brain override the reflex.)

The more attention you give to the behavior the more she will act out.

It's like a dog. Stop feeding it and it will stop begging for your food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288