Missouri, St. Louis - Teenage girl critically injured after brutal fight with another female teen near Hazelwood East High School, 8 March 2024

I'm certainly not defending her, nor suggesting it should be used as a defense.

I just think it's a fact -- she lost control. Is that something she might learn to control? I don't know but I think it's vital for her to work to control herself.
I think this is very well said and very true.

Whatever her punishment is, self control, though the lack thereof, is not a defense, is the road to a better future.

To be tried as a juvenile according to news. May justice be served, but I seriously doubt it will be
I would have accepted whichever decision the judge made. There are no winners in this sad case. I hope that justice will be served, and that both girls can hopefully recover from this and go on to have full and productive lives. I do realize it likely will be much more of a struggle for KG, but in her father's care, hopefully she will make it. JMO

Last edited:
Not that I know of.

I think MD's family just claimed this, but a few teachers reportedly testified at the hearing in MD's defense.

It isn't odd, however, for the "smart kids" who excel in school to be bullied by those who don't. I guess that's what I'm picturing, having read what MD's family claims, but it certainly could be that MD was not bullied.

I should say, "If she was bullied..."
Has anyone from the school defended KG? Who’s defending her?

I have no clue...

But, I would guess, JMOO, that KG's willing participation in the altercation played a role in the judge's decision to keep this case in the juvenile system.

While I think that was the correct decision, given the circumstances, it means we won't get too much more information and specifics about what led up to the fight.

Those who may otherwise be defending her are probably among those at the scene of the fight, egging her on, and are remaining quiet at the advice of their parents or attorneys, as apparently a few others there, 8, I believe, ranging in age from 14-17, were said to be facing possible charges as well. We have heard no more about them, but I hope they all were expelled from school while awaiting any further possible legal action, regardless of who they were there in support of. JMO

Those who may otherwise be defending her are probably among those at the scene of the fight, egging her on, and are remaining quiet at the advice of their parents or attorneys, as apparently a few others there, 8, I believe, ranging in age from 14-17, were said to be facing possible charges as well. We have heard no more about them, but I hope they all were expelled from school while awaiting any further possible legal action, regardless of who they were there in support of. JMO

I wasn't aware more kids were charged. But, they should be if they helped instigate or egged-on the fighting.

I have no clue...

But, I would guess, JMOO, that KG's willing participation in the altercation played a role in the judge's decision to keep this case in the juvenile system.

While I think that was the correct decision, given the circumstances, it means we won't get too much more information and specifics about what led up to the fight.
In other words, she got what she asked for?

I don't think I'd say that because she got a lot more than she asked for, but she was a willing participant and, perhaps, the instigator if some of the stories are factual.

I hope both girls have learned from this -- MD will need to comply with the punishment meted out by the juvenile justice system, and hopefully, that will include anger management. KG will need to focus on making a full recovery, and hopefully, this incident will dissuade both girls from fighting in the future.

Some lessons are much harder than others.

I do not believe anyone has suggested that, but had she not willingly chosen to be there, at the site and time of a mutually agreed upon fight, clearly, nothing that happened that afternoon, would have happened. With apparently substantial experience participating in school scuffles, even by her own father's admission, I am sure KG assumed this would be just another one. It wasn't, and both girls suffered immensely, because of their choices and actions that day JMO

I quite honestly can't help but wonder, if the roles had been reversed, and the wiry, smaller KG had gotten the advantage quickly, and had slammed the larger MD's head onto the pavement repeatedly, leaving her seriously injured, and a decision was made to try KG as a juvi, would there still be the level of outrage that we seem to see from many in this case. I tend to doubt it. JMO

I was one who felt MD should have been tried as an adult. But the ruling has been made.

I have to assume those individuals who decided the case should stay in the Juvie courts had access to the facts and mitigators in a way that we, the public did not. A lot of public outcry about this case was based on rumor, speculation and headlines designed to stir the pot.

At the end of the day I am satisfied with their decision as they are the ones who had the facts. I feel both girls made horrible choices that day and hope both of them learn this lesson that was costly to both. I hope they can both move forward to live productive lives contributing to society.

More Kids Charged?
I wasn't aware more kids were charged....
snipped for focus @GRT
^ post also quotes earlier post w linked story headline: "8 More Youth Could Face Charges in Br... " COULD FACE.
Sub-head: "Police officers have referred the students for charges, but juvenile prosecutors will decide whether to proceed."
Continues: "Earlier this week, eight additional juveniles were referred to St. Louis County Family Court for possible charges related to the brutal assault of Kaylee Gain..."

That story's dateline was March 28. AFAIK, no charges have been filed against others, but I could have missed that possible development.

Anyone heard or read about others being charged, not just referred? TiA.

Last edited:
More Kids Charged?

snipped for focus @GRT
^ post quotes earlier post w linked story headline: "8 More Youth Could Face Charges in Br... " COULD FACE.
Sub-head: "Police officers have referred the students for charges, but juvenile prosecutors will decide whether to proceed."
Continues: "Earlier this week, eight additional juveniles were referred to St. Louis County Family Court for possible charges related to the brutal assault of Kaylee Gain..."

That story's dateline was March 28. AFAIK, no charges have been filed against others, but I could have missed that possible development.

Anyone heard or read about others being charged, not just referred? TiA.
I've not seen any mention of it. Perhaps they are waiting for the Court's decision in this case.

JMO

I don't think I'd say that because she got a lot more than she asked for, but she was a willing participant and, perhaps, the instigator if some of the stories are factual.

I hope both girls have learned from this -- MD will need to comply with the punishment meted out by the juvenile justice system, and hopefully, that will include anger management. KG will need to focus on making a full recovery, and hopefully, this incident will dissuade both girls from fighting in the future.

Some lessons are much harder than others.
There will be virtually no punishment for the “ honor student”. KG can’t focus as her short term memory is impaired

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back