Mistrial, Hung Jury - Raven Abaroa Murder in the 1st

Guera,

I completely agree... I am a certified Christian counselor, and one of the things we had to spend a great deal of time studying were the different types of mental illnesses - what could be treated, what we could help. Then there were types of personalities that we could not help - the patient would not benefit from counseling, and would just try to manipulate the situation. Those types are sociopathic and psychopathic. Based on the facts I know about Raven (am not diagnosing him; this is just my opinion), he falls into the sociopathic classification. It's just who he is - there isn't anything that can "cure" him - he will always be this way. Sociopathic personality tends to become more pronounced in late teen/early adult years, and can be very dangerous if set off by a "trigger". I wouldn't be surprised if Karyn shared this same personality - many of the same characteristics seem shared between her and Raven - maybe even some of her other children. There is a genetic component.... But this is what makes Raven so dangerous. Because sociopaths are so skilled at hiding their true colors, people close to them never see it until it's too late.

I read this article this week and it reminded me SO MUCH of Raven and his mom. I think Raven is definitely a sociopath - wouldn't be surprised if his mom is, too.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201305/confessions-sociopath?src=longreads

I can't take it....I just told hubby to go buy us some smokes. We've been trying to quit for the last 3 days, but both of us are about ready to start chewing our hands or something.

I think he was happy I told him to go....he literally ran to his car.

Had to look - jurors will return at 2:30 (their time). I wonder if they eat together so they can continue to discuss the case?

:seeya: Been so busy lately, good to see so many old friends. Missed all you guys since the Young trial. :seeya:

WHEW......that was a tough one huh Gracie? poor, poor Michelle :(

RIP Michelle, Nancy, and Janet

Hi all! Lets hope Raven joins his friends Jason and Brad soon! Anyone know how long the jury has been deliberating? I do remember waiting a few days for Jason to be put away...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all! Lets hope Raven joins his friends Jason and Brad soon! Anyone know how long the jury has been deliberating? I do remember waiting a few days for Jason to be put away...

They just got it yesterday afternoon - I think only a couple hours in yesterday. They started at 9 or 9:30 this AM, but took a break, asked for evidence, and are now on lunch.
If there was an actual deliberation clock, I would guess maybe 5 hours total?

Since yesterday afternoon. Not that long.

Originally Posted by Hadassah32 [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9517462#post9517462"]
viewpost.gif
[/ame]

Do you folks have a "next"trial you will follow after this? I enjoy you all so much. Would it be the Hayes trial?

I'm thinking the Hayes/Haze trial will be the next one. Supposed to begin in August--him first, her second.
Looking forward to reconnecting with all of you then!

That's my plan, too -- the Grant Hayes trial. The trial was delayed when, in a scheduling/planning session with the principals and defendants of the upcoming trial, Amanda Hayes got weird about it, and did not want to sit at the same defense table as her husband, Grant Hayes, during the trial.

Then it got screwier a few days later... Amanda said she was afraid of Hayes -- apparently he had threatened her about the trial. The parties then wanted the separation of trials. Her trial, to my knowledge, has not been scheduled with a definite date, but it will follow Grant's. I watched the scheduling/planning session for the Hayes trial a couple of months ago, and I was delighted to see our Boz at the helm of the Good Ship ADA. And right now, Senior Resident Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens (Wake County) will be presiding. Judge Orlando Hudson in Durham County has the same rank as Stephens in their respective counties.

I look forward to seeing Amanda Hayes on the stand to see if she is as weird as some folks think.... I don't know what to think about Amanda -- she says she has an alibi for the actual night of the murder, but I do know we need to nail Grant Hayes.
icon8.gif

Here's some info -- please note the date of the WRAL article -- scheduling mentioned in the article has changed...

http://www.wral.com/suspect-says-sh...ticipate-in-kinston-woman-s-killing/12330603/

And here is a good archive by WRAL, too:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/

Continued prayers for Janet, her unborn baby, her family, and friends..........hoping this guilty verdict comes soon so knowing Slayer Abaroa is at last being held accountable brings them some comfort and peace.

Continued prayers for Janet, her unborn baby, her family, and friends..........hoping this guilty verdict comes soon so knowing Slayer Abaroa is at last being held accountable brings them some comfort and peace.
Joining you in prayer. Hard to get her off my mind. I can't imagine the pain of her loved ones. Five hours must seem like 5 years to them.

Grant Hayes trial date is set for August 26, but it could be moved up. Does anyone have newer info on the expected trial date for this one?

I can't take it....I just told hubby to go buy us some smokes. We've been trying to quit for the last 3 days, but both of us are about ready to start chewing our hands or something.

I think he was happy I told him to go....he literally ran to his car.

Speaking as someone who's been there, currently smoking again, don't beat yourself up too much. Just pick another day and keep trying!! That's what everyone keeps telling me. I WILL beat this some day and so will you.

Hmmmm, I'm thinking 5 hours is almost enuff time for them to all feel that they have made sound decisions and that their thinking is solid. It's getting close to time for a verdict, isn't it? Or are they maybe thinking first thing tomorrow? Fridays are always such a good verdict day....

I surely would like to sleep tonight knowing that Mr. Abaroa knows his address for the rest of his life. And 5:00 today gives them plenty of time, I'm hoping, to dot all the i's and cross all the t's . But I'm over-anxious, I know. I just want if for her Mom and Dad and all her family.

They should have been back about 20 min ago, right? Having trouble with the time difference.
Surprised they didn't tweet their return.

Since there is nothing to watch and I’m trying to keep my attention focused on something while we wait for the jury, I’m watching Karyn’s testimony since I missed it last week. It’s kind of creepy how she keeps referring to Janet as if she is still alive. “She’s quiet…..” “She’s this, she’s that.” Uh, SHE’S dead because your son killed her. Weirdo. I haven’t gotten to the good parts yet where the state cross examines her.

Speaking as someone who's been there, currently smoking again, don't beat yourself up too much. Just pick another day and keep trying!! That's what everyone keeps telling me. I WILL beat this some day and so will you.

And I will too. I was dx with diabetes 2 years ago and quit smoking at that time. Too much stress, family drama, and these blasted trials made it too easy to start back. I really do love smoking, grew up on my family's huge tobacco farm so it's in my blood. But I know one day I'll put them down again and maybe that time it will be for good.

Since there is nothing to watch and I’m trying to keep my attention focused on something while we wait for the jury, I’m watching Karyn’s testimony since I missed it last week. It’s kind of creepy how she keeps referring to Janet as if she is still alive. “She’s quiet…..” “She’s this, she’s that.” Uh, SHE’S dead because your son killed her. Weirdo. I haven’t gotten to the good parts yet where the state cross examines her.
I just watched it today and at one point she says to the DA something like say that again and it is almost like she is saying I dare you to repeat that. She is how Raven learned to be the way he is...freaking scary.

UGGGHHHH this waiting is killing me! I know it can still be a while but I've been on the edge of my seat all day!! I can't imagine how difficult this is for Janet's parents and siblings!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleCrimeOnThePrairie
Back