Misty's Learning Disabilities

I thought this thread was just a joke when I spotted it on the main page for Haleigh case. Guess y'all are serious. (??!??)

Can we have a psych eval thread about Ron? That video interview of him from the first day makes me think he might suffer from MPD.

jmo 'cuz I'm not a licensed professional.

I thought this thread was just a joke when I spotted it on the main page for Haleigh case. Guess y'all are serious. (??!??)

Can we have a psych eval thread about Ron? That video interview of him from the first day makes me think he might suffer from MPD.

I think we should. But I'm not saying anything else. You all can discuss. I'll just read.

Stanford Binet Fourth Edition Classifications:

IQ Classification
132 + Very Superior
121 - 131 Superior
111 - 120 High AVerage
89 - 110 Average
79 - 88 Low AVerage
68 - 78 Slow Learner
67 and below MR

Weschler Tests

IQ Classification
130 + Very Superior
120 - 129 Superior
110 - 119 High AVerage
90 - 109 Average
80 - 89 Low AVerage
70 - 79 Borderline
69 and below Extremely Low range

More than just a thanks click, I wanted your to know your professional input is very valuable to this thread, Padua.

I dont think MPD is a real disorder any more anyway. DID (Disassociative Identity Disorder) is the term anyone in the medical field would use. And Ron does not that I can tell, have DID...

I don't think Misty has any "disorders" per se. I don't think she grew up in an environment conducive to learning... spotty school attendence, dropping out, not being encouraged or forced to go to school by her parents... So shes not very well educated. And that can affect how she comes across on TV. Shes not the most well spoken person. But shes not "dumb" either. You have to give her credit...she has IMHO known much much more than she lets on... yet she hasn't cracked (yet). For months and months she has been at the center of the investigation. If she were a total pudding head (not a medical term) she would have caved in much sooner or been able to be duped into spilling the beans.

Learning disability must always be assessed relative to the educational background and support network that a person has had. Seeing her family background, it must have hindered Misty's academic progress.

But for the purposes of this discussion, IMO, it doesn't really matter that much about the reasons for Misty's cognitive difficulties, if any. In order to assess the reliability of her statements we'd need to know if she has problems which undermine her ability to give reliable statements. If such problems were to be found it doesn't really matter why; her statements would be unreliable anyway and that's the most interesting thing.

IMO, neither learning disabilities caused by lack of education and family support or a more deep-seated brain-based problems cause an inability to tell the truth. An uneducated or a neurologically learning disabled person might tell the truth in a confusing, vague manner but IMO, it doesn't explain sufficiently why the police said there is physical evidence that contradicts Misty's story. Learning disability doesn't alter the evidence.

Kiki, you always say what I’m thinking. I don’t have time to write detailed posts like yours, but if I did, I’d say the same thing.

The following is just my opinion. Feel free to argue, disagree, extract quotes, etc. No, I’m not a mental health professional, but I have tons of life experience teaching kids from elementary through college. I have 4 kids and 6 grands, and I’ve dealt personally with a relative who was brain damaged in an accident. Still, he could still lie, deceive, con, and manipulate to get what he wanted.

IMO, defense attorneys routinely ask themselves, “How can I capitalize on my client’s background, mental/emotional status, upbringing, disabilities, aberrations, blah, blah, blah to introduce doubt in the minds of a potential jury?” But don’t we all have something imperfect in our backgrounds or personality? Aren't all of us learning challenged in some way? Still, most people integrate with others in acceptable ways, and recognize their—and others’—boundaries.

Even a little 5-year-old kid recognizes lying vs. truth. During our development, lying is usually the first thing purged. Lying is not tolerated in most normal workplaces and is considered a major character flaw. I teach college English, and plagiarism is the “capital crime” of academe. Why? It’s a form of lying.

Based on Misty’s actions over time, my opinion is that she is at least as functional as that aforementioned five-year-old. She understands the English language and knows the difference between truthfulness and lying. She may be uneducated and backwards, but she has slick cognition when the situation demands it. She walks out when the questioning gets tough. If you’re truthful, the questioning can’t get too tough. Walking out requires the recognition that you are about to approach a minefield and that you may be required to deviate from a memorized script. She also has the ability to use MySpace or Face Book (or whatever it is) to access someone and threaten them, if I’m remembering reports correctly.

As I’ve said before on this site, Misty has youth and health on her side. She could have the world by the tail. She could muster the fortitude to break the cycle of drugs, abuse, and living on the fringes. She could say to herself, “If I have to crawl over broken glass, I WILL get a GED (or more) and find my niche in life. I WILL not be bound by what I was born into. I WILL not have a wasted life, but a productive one.”

It’s not so much that Misty needs “nurturing” but that little Haleigh needed nurturing that night and got none.

Kiki, you always say what I’m thinking. I don’t have time to write detailed posts like yours, but if I did, I’d say the same thing.

The following is just my opinion. Feel free to argue, disagree, extract quotes, etc. No, I’m not a mental health professional, but I have tons of life experience teaching kids from elementary through college. I have 4 kids and 6 grands, and I’ve dealt personally with a relative who was brain damaged in an accident. Still, he could still lie, deceive, con, and manipulate to get what he wanted.

IMO, defense attorneys routinely ask themselves, “How can I capitalize on my client’s background, mental/emotional status, upbringing, disabilities, aberrations, blah, blah, blah to introduce doubt in the minds of a potential jury?” But don’t we all have something imperfect in our backgrounds or personality? Aren't all of us learning challenged in some way? Still, most people integrate with others in acceptable ways, and recognize their—and others’—boundaries.

Even a little 5-year-old kid recognizes lying vs. truth. During our development, lying is usually the first thing purged. Lying is not tolerated in most normal workplaces and is considered a major character flaw. I teach college English, and plagiarism is the “capital crime” of academe. Why? It’s a form of lying.

Based on Misty’s actions over time, my opinion is that she is at least as functional as that aforementioned five-year-old. She understands the English language and knows the difference between truthfulness and lying. She may be uneducated and backwards, but she has slick cognition when the situation demands it. She walks out when the questioning gets tough. If you’re truthful, the questioning can’t get too tough. Walking out requires the recognition that you are about to approach a minefield and that you may be required to deviate from a memorized script. She also has the ability to use MySpace or Face Book (or whatever it is) to access someone and threaten them, if I’m remembering reports correctly.

As I’ve said before on this site, Misty has youth and health on her side. She could have the world by the tail. She could muster the fortitude to break the cycle of drugs, abuse, and living on the fringes. She could say to herself, “If I have to crawl over broken glass, I WILL get a GED (or more) and find my niche in life. I WILL not be bound by what I was born into. I WILL not have a wasted life, but a productive one.”

It’s not so much that Misty needs “nurturing” but that little Haleigh needed nurturing that night and got none.

Wow ! U said it all !
Thank u for such a well written post !

I enjoyed reading this post. So much information was provided. I think that the bottom line is finding out what happened to Haleigh. Whatever course that takes. LE needs to pursue some of the issues that surround Misty. One of those issues is her ability to communicate. (pardon me while I flash back to that old movie ..you know , we have a failure to communicate) Seriously, I do feel that LE should have stepped in and stopped all these strange methods of finding the truth by TM and others. Not one of those methods would have survived in court.

I have thought all along that Misty is not hiding anything. She has trouble communicating. As far as her reaction to the divorce..it seems she is used to being discarded. LE has a big problem and does not have a clue as to what happened that night. IMO they found the weakest link and jumped on it.
Just my very unprofessional opinion.

All I want is the truth, no matter what it is, or who is guilty. Let them be prosecuted and receive their punishment, as we already know they will reap what they sow.

The treatment of Misty is frightening. It's already crossed the line into being criminal. If something happens to her, I will never follow another crime case. Wish we could have a prayer thread here in Haleigh's forum for Haleigh and her family. Seems everything has been tried and done, and yet no Haleigh, or even close to where she's at. Good day to all.

All I want is the truth, no matter what it is, or who is guilty. Let them be prosecuted and receive their punishment, as we already know they will reap what they sow.

The treatment of Misty is frightening. It's already crossed the line into being criminal. If something happens to her, I will never follow another crime case. Wish we could have a prayer thread here in Haleigh's forum for Haleigh and her family. Seems everything has been tried and done, and yet no Haleigh, or even close to where she's at. Good day to all.

If, as you say, you are wanting the absolute truth, it has to contain the risk that Misty may very well be the one and only person in this world that may know where she is. You can't want the truth with contingencies.

What TM and others did was not done "for the record" if that is what you meant by crossing the line into being criminal, their goal was to find Haleigh. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you take all Misty's actions from about 3 days before Haleigh disappeared and make a list of pros and cons on a piece of paper, I think you'll find one side far outweighs the other, thus the suspicion that she has not contributed everything involving the "truth" so that Haleigh can be found.

Good day as well.

If, as you say, you are wanting the absolute truth, it has to contain the risk that Misty may very well be the one and only person in this world that may know where she is. You can't want the truth with contingencies.

What TM and others did was not done "for the record" if that is what you meant by crossing the line into being criminal, their goal was to find Haleigh. You are most certainly entitled to your opinion, but if you take all Misty's actions from about 3 days before Haleigh disappeared and make a list of pros and cons on a piece of paper, I think you'll find one side far outweighs the other, thus the suspicion that she has not contributed everything involving the "truth" so that Haleigh can be found.

Good day as well.

FYI, from day one, I was here watching this case unfold. I believed 100% Misty was guilty/involved and maintained that the first four weeks. What was being reported to the public, her story didn't ring true as the media was slanted in reporting with an edge, I fell for it.

Came back into the case 6 weeks ago, and have learned differently. Sooo don't know what you mean about contingencies on my behalf. When I came back, I had a total open mind, and started from scratch. I am where I am due to looking at everything, every possibility. Not tunnel vision, or being told what to think. I explored and expanded the possible suspect list beyond Misty and Ron.

We only have a few absolutes in this life. And this case will never be an absolute. We don't even have absolute light or dark. cold or hot. Right or wrong. We do have an absolute Good God.

What is it that changed your mind in the last few weeks? What convinced you that Misty is telling the truths?

What is it that changed your mind in the last few weeks? What convinced you that Misty is telling the truths?

Because it basically makes sense. She had no car, how could she get rid of Haleigh, on foot, three miles radius searched extensively within the home, had Jr. in tow. Her cell phone wasn't in use during the critical timeline LE is using as the actual crime took place. No land line phone.

Looking at motive, Misty and Ron had no motive. Their lives were improved by all intensive purposes than ever before. Newly matched up, new cute clean little home with a nice yard for the kids, Ron had a decent regular job. Everyone has reported how well Misty and the kids got along together. Even Crystal spoke of how much her kids loves Misty. Going by statistics of crime, known abductors and the perps case wise being involved.

Listening over and over to Misty. Watching the real tears flow, real anguish upon her face. Seeing the torment and hell on Ron's face. Learning just how much Haleigh meant to him, meant to grandmothers. Haleigh was very loved and accepted in her family. Appears all the family pulled together and supporte each other in helping with the child case of Haleigh and Jr. This family didn't have any reason to harm Haleigh.

I truly believe Misty and Haleigh were being watched. The perp was aware of Ron working nights, and being young, young people don't realize you shouldn't talk about certain things of a family, like schedules, etc.... to just anyone.

No one knows when my family leaves to go out of town to work. Even my own family, my children know to never reveal he works out of town. But not before they told their friend, people we didn't know well, you can follow where I'm going. I'm sure R or M didnt think about things of this nature, or one of their family members saying it around the wrong person, news travels fast. Someone went into that home, we have a crime scene depicting that.

Maybe we ought to start looking at what is there. The dogs led LE away from the home with Haleigh's scent. I think they should be believed. The dumpster, but yet no search soon enough to make a difference. I thought that's one of the first things LE does now a days is search nearest dumpsters when someone like a child is missing or murdered. Remember the Lori Hacking case?

A local has mentioned Putnam County is small. I don't believe the LE there was experienced enough to handle this case in the very beginning. I'm thinking now though that they are doing much better jobs.

You say Misty had no way of getting rid of a body? How do you know there was no accomplice there with Misty to get rid if Haleigh? I'm not sold.

You say Misty had no way of getting rid of a body? How do you know there was no accomplice there with Misty to get rid if Haleigh? I'm not sold.

I don't know, and that's a good point. Taking it from this angle, then she would definately have to have an accomplice in order to pull it off, because her only means would be to carry Haleigh, with or without Jr. being there or with his knowledge of anything transpiring during this time and not tell a soul.

Why hasn't someone came forward? When you start getting other people involved, they start telling someone, then they tell someone, then you don't have a secret any longer. LE says Haleigh was abducted from the home. I don't think this would be kept quiet for this long. Practically everyone Misty knows, hung around with has either been jailed several times, and interviewed for hours. So far, no accomplice.

Looking at motive, Misty and Ron had no motive. Their lives were improved by all intensive purposes than ever before. Newly matched up, new cute clean little home with a nice yard for the kids, Ron had a decent regular job. Everyone has reported how well Misty and the kids got along together. Even Crystal spoke of how much her kids loves Misty. Going by statistics of crime, known abductors and the perps case wise being involved.

They may have been newly matched up, but in that time period, there were calls made to DCF or 911 or something that officers went out to the trailer before Haleigh went missing- so not everything was roses and kittens- And going by true statistics, when children go missing, its more often a parent that did something than a random perp-

jmo

Whose to say Ron was not the Accomplice and it happened before he went to work!

We're getting off topic in the last few posts, I'm guilty. I'll be glad to answer these questions directed at me if we take them to the right topic, don't want to cause extra work on the mods, guess these posts should be in the theory thread?

It could have happened, cops say they do not know what the crime is and when it occurred, the fact Ron went to work 45 minutes early that day and stayed 3 extra hours indicates something sketchy to me-

jmo

Misty was a 17 year old instant mom....a uneducated child herself, who only knows what's it's like to not be valued, cherished and parented correctly, she was suddenly a mother to children. As far as a "new cute home"....well, we will have to agree to disagree on that. Poverty permeates this family, sadly, and their home attests to that. Real beds could not even be afforded. I have a very different viewpoint on how good their lives were.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back