GUILTY MN - Byron Smith charged with murder after shooting 2 teens

The homeowner sounds very off here, but I do have to say; if you break into my house, I'm going to shoot you. I am not going to ask how old you are. I am not going to ask if you have a weapon. I am not going to ask what you are looking for. I am going to shoot you.

Same here.

The homeowner sounds very off here, but I do have to say; if you break into my house, I'm going to shoot you. I am not going to ask how old you are. I am not going to ask if you have a weapon. I am not going to ask what you are looking for. I am going to shoot you.

I agree! This is sort of a textbook case of what NOT to do if you have to shoot home invaders.

I'm not a fan of guns, but I think you have that right. Just make sure you tell the truth when you talk to police afterwards. Don't leave out the part where you recognized the intruder and said, "Bob, what the hell are you doing in my house?"

In an article I read, they broke his bedroom window from the outside with a lead pipe and BS heard footsteps above him and that is when the young man came down and that is when he shot at him.

BUT....... in a fb posting in the memorial group for the two teens someone tells a different story.

We're allowed to post social media links relevant to the case here; but we cannot bring over (via copy/paste) direct content from them.

We're allowed to post social media links relevant to the case here; but we cannot bring over (via copy/paste) direct content from them.

Can I paraphase what the person wrote on fb?

A family member posted that they were on their way home for Thanksgiving, not on drugs, Car runs out of gas, Nick walks up to the house to use a phone and that the window was already broken from a previous crime and that the perp heard a noise and that's how it started.

I am so glad there is a thread on this one! So, were they breaking in or not? I am with Egirl.. if they were breaking in it doesn't matter who they are, how old they are, what they look like or if they came bearing gifts of coffee cake.

Did the man defend his home?

Sure would have helped if he would have called LE as soon as it happened you know? That is what makes me doubt his version of events. Unfortunately the other two will not be able to tell their own version.

But... biggest question: what are they doing at his house?

A family member posted that they were on their way home for Thanksgiving, not on drugs, Car runs out of gas, Nick walks up to the house to use a phone and that the wnidow was already broken from a previous crime and that the perp heard a noise and that's how it started.

I suppose the gas thing would be easy enough to verify... and so then the guy is jumpy because he has had other break ins?

you know.. on the other hand... how does the family know what they went up to the door for...?

based on a gas meter or something? How far from home were they?

hinky all around from both sides.

you know.. on the other hand... how does the family know what they went up to the door for...?

based on a gas meter or something? How far from home were they?

hinky all around from both sides.

that's what i'm wondering.

yep

Story is twisted but one thing--
I feel it is ok to shoot the intruder (s) but why the overkill?
Something is missing in the story.
Not buying it.

Goz

The only reason i can think of overkill is if he knew them in some way.

The only reason i can think of overkill is if he knew them in some way.

he also suspected them in at least two other break ins.

I don't know, maybe they were known around town to break into people's houses.

I believe that this guy had had enough of people breaking into his house.

I'm sorry that this young man and woman are dead, but when you break into someone's house ( if this is the case) you run the risk of being injured or in their case killed.

In another article I read, The family was wondering why they didn't show up for Thanksgiving.

I'll try and find it

He didn't even report it right away. Which makes me doubt anything he says.
How do I know these two were even breaking into his house?

As far as the teens trying to use a phone, that sounds odd considering most have cell phones. There seemed to be over-kill, after they were down he took more shots to kill.

If his statement is accepted as truth, which is hard to do, the rest doesn't matter. In Minnesota, you can use deadly force to protect a life, but not to protect property. Once each of them was down and no longer a threat, he couldn't legally shoot either one again even if they had threatened him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back