GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

If I were on a jury and instructed not to watch the news or talk about the case, I would make the leap on my own that I should also avoid social media that has to do with the case. Isn't that the responsible thing to do?

Unless proven otherwise, I'm trusting the jury took their job seriously during trial. If they didn't, that needs to be brought up with the judge.

FWIW, my mom served on a manslaughter case and was sequestered during the deliberation. During the trial itself, she really didn't talk to the rest of us. It wasn't that she avoided us completely, but that she had a lot to process and focus on - she wasn't interested in chatting about anything, even if it had nothing to do with the case. She certainly didn't talk about the case at all. It made an impression on me that juries take their role seriously.

jmo

misgrn, al66pine, CrimeAway and 14 others like this.

2. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

mom2chloe, misgrn, al66pine and 10 others like this.
  3. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why that plea wasn't accepted.

jmo

mom2chloe, al66pine, MadMcGoo and 3 others like this.
  4. RANCH

RANCH United we stand, divided we fall

Here's a hypothetical.

A juror has been leaning towards a not guilty vote towards the end of the trial. This juror then inadvertently hears Maxine Waters statement demanding a guilty verdict but never tells anyone.

During deliberation this juror keeps the knowledge of Maxine Waters statement to themself and never mentions it to other members of the jury. Because of this knowledge the juror decides that they do not want to vote not guilty because they fear rioting and destruction would ensue.

When asked after the trial if they had heard Maxine Waters statement the juror says no because they know that they should have spoken up before or during deliberations about how the statement affected their vote.

In the end no one knows that this juror was affected by Maxine Waters statement. JMO

mom2chloe, misgrn, al66pine and 10 others like this.
  5. Rhozwen

Rhozwen Well-Known Member

"A former Justice Department official confirmed the failed deal to NBC News, saying that both politically appointed and career Department of Justice officials had rejected the idea.

"His lawyers were trying to rush us, and we didn't want to be rushed," the official said.
    But the deal fell apart, the Times reported, citing three law enforcement officials, because Barr worried that it was too early in the investigation and would be perceived as too lenient. Barr also wanted to allow state officials taking over the case time to make their own decisions, the Times reported."

Link to article quoted:
    AG Barr quashed plea deal by fired officer in George Floyd death

6. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

Perhaps some of the jurors have the same inclination as many of your posts which criticized the "angry mob"? Hopefully they can, as you say, use common sense to know that even if they were perhaps an angry mob... that doesn't affect as you are an example of. MOO

al66pine, Tom_Servo and sds71 like this.
  7. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!

I have to disagree with it's not all that complicated. I didn't think it would be that complicated in the beginning, but I have listened to the every bit of this trial, it is more complicated than it appears on the surface or with just news 'updates'. I know that not everyone has watched it from beginning to end (not saying you haven't ;) ), but if the jury does what they are expected, and they actually discuss the conflicting cause of death possibilities, the use of force policies, etc., it should take longer than just a few days. AND for the record.... I'm not pro-police, and ironically have been called anti-police in other forums haha I was stuck on cause of death... and Nelson's closing changed that for me fwiw. (I need to go back and see if the timestamps were brought up on cross or if Nelson just left that for closing) But it shows me that openminded adults can see the same thing and still disagree on what it means, I expect that with the 12 jurors too.

Either way... I do believe that this has started a change, I wish it didn't have to come with the looting/violence. I don't know how they get past that to make a real change. I'm tired of listening to the leaders/politicians talking about it, I want to see it. JMO

8. Rocky1

Rocky1 Well-Known Member

It wasn't accepted because it was offered too soon after he was arrested.
    One reason was because the deal was offered before the investigation was complete.
    Another reason was because Barr thought people may have thought the deal was too lenient, and the country would burn.
    Another reason was, if the deal was accepted, that would have meant Chauvin could not have had federal charges brought against him for Civil Rights violations.

misgrn, jjs, CrimeAway and 7 others like this.
  9. Shaddow

Shaddow Be the change that you wish to see in the world

You can't affect change by staying silent. You can't affect change by being docile. The silence is over. GF death ended that. The knee has been on necks for too long and it's time to get it off. None of what I said is incitement of violence. Silence is complicity...We have to push for reform or it will never happen.

10. Marysmith

Marysmith Well-Known Member

Totally agree - JMO.

al66pine, Weki and tara83 like this.
  11. dixiegirl1035

@Rocky1 MOO, the jury instructions do not state that you cannot talk to your family when you are a juror. Or that you cannot talk to the cashier at the grocery. And that a WSer thinks such. We need to help each others as always to educate MOO. And they indeed were able to "talk with others". It had to do with the trial only. MOO

Thanks for pointing out that many do not understand perhaps and are misled by ????? into questioning they couldn't talk to anyone. WOW!

It makes me *shiver* that some folks perhaps think such of the justice system ... unless like now they are in sequestration.

What makes you come to that conclusion or where did you read such that made you think such. That is totally incorrect during the trial they were not allowed to do such.

misgrn, al66pine, Bravo and 3 others like this.
  12. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

I'm sure a heart ailment or drugs killed him.It just happened to be when an officer was kneeling on his neck for nine minutes......

al66pine, jjs and missy1974 like this.
  13. Shaddow

Shaddow Be the change that you wish to see in the world

We wouldn't know...I have faith in the jurors to vote their conscience, not someone else's...

misgrn, al66pine, ACE422 and 7 others like this.
  14. Rocky1

Rocky1 Well-Known Member

I didn't read it. I heard the Judge say it. He told the jury at the end of the last two days "Do not talk to anyone" Those were his exact words.
    So yes, Those were his jury instructions.

15. dixiegirl1035

Yet, of which charges???

This is what make me cray cray.

There is no charge listed or differentiation. Just a GUILTY........... SMDH.

We at WS should be able to differ. WHICH CHARGE???? when you state guilty is a difference of 10-15 years.

MOO

al66pine, MadMcGoo, CrimeAway and 3 others like this.
  16. Marysmith

Marysmith Well-Known Member

IMO it was to not talk about the trial only with others...

al66pine, Bravo, Shaddow and 2 others like this.
  17. Rocky1

Rocky1 Well-Known Member

I don't believe those were his words.

al66pine and oceanblueeyes like this.
  18. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I usually find myself agreeing with you about so many cases, but I must respectfully disagree with your take on this.

MW is notoriously known for saying things that incite violence, urging being very confrontational, and also urging the horrible harassment of others not in lockstep with her own ideology.

Imo, words do matter, and no one knows this any better than MW. That's why she's continued to say them. She knows people listen. They always seem to be very aggressive, confrontational statements as well just like the ones she purposefully made this past Sunday. Perhaps she was hoping some of the jurors would see, and hear them since they were at home.

But she didn't say them like she often does in WDC or the state she even represents. Imo, she went right to the very city she already knew had seen so much unrest, and horrific damage done to the businesses in this city.

So, yes, it inexcusable what she has done. If it really didn't matter then the judge wouldnt have put it in the record that her statements may wind up getting the case overturned.

Imo, no elected official anywhere nor anyone else for that matter should be saying anything that could have even the slightest possibilty it will incite violence.

She really needs to be called out for doing so by her own party. Imo.

Jmho

19. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

I would imagine they took it as don't talk about the trial.Why would you not be allowed to talk to your family at at all as in discussing what they want for dinner,lol.

misgrn, al66pine, kimpage and 7 others like this.
  20. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

AG Barr said it was way too early for the DOJ to even think about a plea deal.

Jmho

al66pine, RANCH, Seenit and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.