MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #17 - Chauvin Trial Day 14

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

honestly, this is a red herring and will only serve to further confuse the jury. I think the state is erring attempting to introduce this evidence now. MOO it gives the "maybe exhaust killed him" theory more life than it warrants by going this far to refute it.

2. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

I think that it is important information.. BUT.. ugggh, why is it only coming up now. This will/can be an appeal issue. I would be concerned about what else they didn't hand over.

3. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

it does seem that the state should have dug for those numbers in Feb. so judge is probably not going to allow this...however it should be known by the jury but probably will not be.

4. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Eric Nelson tells Judge Cahill he received the newly discovered evidence at 7:53 a.m. He says Dr. Fowler is currently on an airplane.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382703696153305090?s=21

Nelson: The point being is...the state has had more than sufficient notice, Dr. Fowler is opining that this could have played a role in his report, he says and suggests that for completeness, it should have been tested or should be tested.

EN: The bottom line is...this is information that has been within the state's control, the state has had ample notice that this could have played a part of Dr. Fowler's testimony. It is incredibly prejudicial to the defense at this point now…

Nelson says he received Dr. Martin Tobin’s rebutal points last night.

misgrn, SouthAussie, Breathe and 6 others like this.
  5. Lemon Drop

Lemon Drop Well-Known Member

I am confused...

GarAndTeed likes this.
  6. Rhozwen

Rhozwen Well-Known Member

I feel the same. IMO Dr. Fowler opened this door with his exhaust theory, so I would think it should be part of the rebuttal of the state. But it's not necessarily new information. So will be interesting to see how the judge rules.

misgrn, SouthAussie, kimpage and 2 others like this.
  7. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

smoking gun that jury will NOT know about...judge is going to not allow it in.

8. bluebird69

bluebird69 Well-Known Member

This strikes me as very odd.

CrimeAway likes this.
  9. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

Because Nelson's argument is sound. Hate to give it to him because I am not a fan, but this should not come in.

It is a ridiculous concept and this gives it way more life than it deserves.

The judge should deny this motion MOO

misgrn, Breathe, CrimeAway and 8 others like this.
  10. Katerz

Katerz Verified Insider/Robert Wiggins

Lawd I need coffee.

11. turaj

turaj Well-Known Member

I knew Dr. Tobin would be back.

12. Tippy Lynn

Tippy Lynn Well-Known Member

The state had this information and had ample time to test it and what not, but never did. Now the state wants to bring it in. Judge needs to deny this motion.

13. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Cathy Russon
    @cathyrusson
    ·
    42m
    #DerekChauvinTrial - We expect at least one more defense witness this morning and do not yet know if Chauvin will take the stand. The state will be allowed a rebuttal case if they choose. Closing arguments Monday.

Chauvin.png

BREAKING: #DerekChauvin will NOT testify.

Defense is going to rest without calling further witnesses.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Paul Blume
    @PaulBlume_FOX9
    ·
    13m
    ON THE RECORD: Judge Cahill is on the bench. Derek Chauvin now taking the mic.

BREAKING: #DerekChauvin answering questions from his defense attorney Eric Nelson right now about whether he will testify or not.

BREAKING: #DerekChauvin WILL NOT TESTIFY. Invoking his 5th amendment privilege against self-incrimination. Jury not in courtroom for this process.

Judge Cahill debriefing with #DerekChauvin right now about his decision not to testify. Pointing out it is absolutely Chauvin's right to invoke his 5th Amendment privilege. It sounds like defense has no plans to call anymore witnesses. They will rest in front of the jury.

Ok. Let's catch up while we wait for #DerekChauvinTrial jury:

Chauvin will NOT testify
    Defense will rest its case
    State will call rebuttal witness on some medical testimony
    Judge Cahill just hinted something about "new evidence" related to CO testing

Apparently, state with help from Henn Co Medical Examiner, Dr. Andrew Baker found some blood testing work that seems to shed new light on carbon monoxide levels in #GeorgeFloyd at time of death. Defense expert Dr Fowler hinted CO might have played role in Floyd's death.

link: https://twitter.com/PaulBlume_FOX9

misgrn, SouthAussie, Breathe and 5 others like this.
  14. AC's Grandma

AC's Grandma Well-Known Member

I don't approve of the state's delay in providing the defense with information until the last minute. It's been a common situation in this trial. I would definitely agree with Nelson on this being unacceptable and the court should be of the same opinion. JMO

15. Boodles

Boodles Well-Known Member

Do you mean carbon monoxide? I’m confused, too.

SouthAussie and Mo Thuairim like this.
  16. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

N: Now the fact that there is a differing opinion that it's a cardiac event instead of a hypoxic event is...Again the state has had ample notice it's not rebutting. It's just simply reintroducing what Dr. Tobin has already testified to extensively.

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1382704856453033984?s=21

N: Again, I believe that he has already extensively testified to his position as to the narrowing of the hypopharynx. Whatever this additional research is, I have been provided with a single journal article, relevant to the treatment of COVID patients…

17. ElizaKate

ElizaKate Well-Known Member

Ooo this is interesting.

Does the defense team not have an obligation to fully investigate any alternative theories they're putting forward..so if they wanted to put forward CO poisoning are they not obligated to look into whether there's evidence that would support/rebut that theory? Put simply could they not have asked the ME themselves at the time if those tests were done?

misgrn, SouthAussie and vinayd like this.
  18. bluebird69

bluebird69 Well-Known Member

This unreal. Why are they contantly moving the goalposts? Bad form.

19. Rhozwen

Rhozwen Well-Known Member

Yesterday's witness included in his testimony that carbon monoxide could have been a contributing cause and estimated how much carbon monoxide was in GF's blood. (I believe somewhere around 12-15%) Dr. Baker(medical examiner who conducted autopsy) contacted the state because the night GF was in the ER a panel of blood tests were taken, one of them showing GF's oxygen % in his blood. It was 98% so there could have only been ~2% of carbon monoxide in his blood at the time of the test.
    These tests were already part of evidence, but it was not caught that the oxygen level in the blood sample would show it was not possible to have more than 2% of Carbon Monoxide.

That's what I am understanding.

misgrn, SouthAussie, kimpage and 5 others like this.
  20. Factoria

Factoria Well-Known Member

Perhaps I'm just confused by differing terminology, but... If GF's blood gas O2 saturation level was 98%, doesn't that directly refute the State's claim that the cause of death is low oxygen?!?! Dr. Tobin professed that GF 'didn't have an ounce of oxygen' left in his body, iirc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.