MN - George Floyd, 46, unarmed, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 2,000 complaints against Minneapolis Police since 2013

June 13, 2020

In the midst of the video that horrified a nation, Michelle Gross heard a bystander called out a badge number.

"I played it over and over and listened carefully and I realized that it was badge number 1087 - was Derek Chauvin,” said Michelle Gross.

George Floyd had been dead less than 12 hours. Michelle Gross, who heads a Minneapolis group called Communities United Against Police Brutality was about to tell the world who killed him.

"And so, when I saw the name, I said, oh, him. I wasn't surprised. And part of the reason that I was familiar with Derek Chauvin's record is because when you start to see those same officers over and over again with multiple complaints, their names lodge in your brain."

For two decades, her organization has been tracking complaints against Minneapolis Police.

The attorney for George Floyd's family just released a video of the murder, and this clearly shows bystanders begging former-officer Tou Thao to take some action and save the man who was dying before his eyes.
Attorney Ben Crump makes it clear ... "Warning: This is beyond disturbing, even harder to watch than the first video."
The video which Crump says is new -- maybe a slightly wider angle -- and you see more of Thao, who stands impervious to what is going on right in front of his face. Bystanders are imploring him to do something ... to just look at George Floyd lying on the pavement unconscious and realize he's about to die. But, Thao does nothing.
New Video of George Floyd Murder Shows Cop Ignoring Bystanders' Pleas

Hey everyone :) so I just had a thought...if a "good" police officer stands by a "bad" police officer, doesn't that make the "good" police officer "bad" also?

Thanks SleuthBee, I'd like to read that book also.

I know there was no alcohol. I am stating how he was described by the store clerk and how he appeared in the videos before Chauvin arrived. Chauvin is not the only guy that has been charged. But never mind. I will leave it to the lawyers. Most people have made up their minds all 4 cops are guilty already. There's not much point even having any discussion on this thread anymore IMO.

BBM

It's kind of hard not to think they are all four guilty when we all saw it ourselves on videos. I don't think there is anything else you could call what DC did other than murder. Live and in color. It certainly wasn't accidental. 1 minute, maybe, 2 minutes, maybe, even 3 minutes maybe... but 9 minutes. That was deliberate and there is no way DC could have missed it when the other officer checked and reported he couldn't find a pulse, yet 3 minutes more. That kind of says it all.

Let me ask you one question, if the four of them had not been wearing a police uniform and you saw on video three men holding down another man with one of them pressing his knee into the man's neck until he was dead, while a 4th stood by and watched what would you call what happened? Would you say they were not guilty of murder and leave it to the lawyers? Or would you be calling for justice for the victim?
JMO

The attorney for George Floyd's family just released a video of the murder, and this clearly shows bystanders begging former-officer Tou Thao to take some action and save the man who was dying before his eyes.
Attorney Ben Crump makes it clear ... "Warning: This is beyond disturbing, even harder to watch than the first video."
The video which Crump says is new -- maybe a slightly wider angle -- and you see more of Thao, who stands impervious to what is going on right in front of his face. Bystanders are imploring him to do something ... to just look at George Floyd lying on the pavement unconscious and realize he's about to die. But, Thao does nothing.

This. IMO, I think Thao was intentionally trying to intimidate the bystanders who were pleading with him to make what was happening to George Floyd stop and he did it to try get the bystanders to back off. Another thing that really struck me was the complete absence of any kind of recognizable human emotion on the faces of both Chauvin and Thao as George Floyd was pleading for his life. I couldn't see the faces of the other two officers, who were on George Floyd's back and legs.

IMO, there has to be a complete lack of empathy to do what Chauvin did to George Floyd, and something is very wrong, IMO, with the other officers who were complicit and who did not step up to make it stop. I know that police officers have a very dangerous job. They often encounter some very dangerous people, but we've all watched the video and the brual, excessive use of force on George Floyd and it was not necessary. He was pleading for his life and anyone can see that Chauvin had his knee buried into George Floyd's neck.

My questions are what kind of mental health screening is performed before officers are hired to ferret out things like racist and sexist attitudes, a lack of empathy and poor judgement and does mental health screening occur on an on-going basis, and especially when an officer has multiple complaints that have been filed?

This thread is to discuss the case of George Floyd. It is not a thread to discuss racism in general.

Unless your post relates to this case specifically, it is off topic and will be removed.

At around 4:40 in the above video, after GF has been removed from the scene while Thao has been dealing with the crowd, Chauvin hitches his pants while walking up to Thao, extending a hand toward Thao (appears to be almost a congratulatory gesture), and with just this side of a smile, appears quite exhilerated by his experience.

upload_2020-6-14_21-39-17.png

At around 4:40 in the above video, after GF has been removed from the scene while Thao has been dealing with the crowd, Chauvin hitches his pants while walking up to Thao, extending a hand toward Thao (appears to be almost a congratulatory gesture), and with just this side of a smile, appears quite exhilerated by his experience.

View attachment 251298
That will be used by the prosecution to show intent when this goes to trial. JMO

RSBM ^^^

You and I share some of the same thoughts, @MsBetsy.

The two things (bolded above), that have bothered me the most are the fact (that by all accounts), (1) the officers didn't take the time to verify they were confronting the correct suspect. If the reporting party could not confirm the sex or race of the supposed person using counterfeit bills, how did the officers know (for certain), they were approaching the correct man or woman. (2) We still do not know if the officers verified the bill(s) were indeed counterfeit. Why would officers approach a person in the first place if they did not see the bill(s) in person? Were they just going by what the clerk(s) said? If the clerks could not identify (with certainty) who passed the bills, why would they automatically assume it was George Floyd, a black man? IMO, this certainly appears to be the reason the public believes racial profiling exists.

I also have a problem with the fact recent reporting indicates (former) Officer Chauvin, and George Floyd knew one another. In fact, the had "bumped-heads" about Chauvin's unnecessary use of force at their place of employment. Why did Chauvin jump out of the police vehicle and immediately take control?

June 10, 2020
Did George Floyd and Derek Chauvin know each other? Co-worker says they did

[...] DP, a former co-worker of both men, told CBS News the two men often “bumped heads” while on shift together [...]

Floyd’s family has continued to speculate whether the incident may have stemmed from some prior personal grievance. [...]

Civil attorney BC, who is representing Floyd’s family, previously noted that Chauvin could still face first-degree murder charges if the investigation found the officer knew Floyd.

“That is going to be an interesting aspect to this case and hopefully upgrading these charges to first-degree murder because we believe he knew who George Floyd was". [...]

there’s a debunking of that story:

Man who claimed George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" changes story - CBS News

Yes, the coworker said he mistook him for someone else but the owner, Santamaria, also said Floyd and Chauvin worked on Tuesdays, African American nights, and that Chauvin was unnecessarily aggressive.

When asked by CBS if she thought Chauvin had a problem with black people she answered, "Yeah, I think he was afraid and intimidated by them."

She said he had a short fuse and always resorted to pulling out his mace and pepper spray right away even when she felt it was unwarranted. Imo

Question for one of our verified attorneys. If DC pleads to a lesser charge that does not allow for accessory to murder, does that mean charges against the other three must be dropped?

“I don’t know, you can call me a snitch if you want to but we have the cameras up for (squad) 320’s call, and…I don’t know if they had to use force or not, but they got something out of the back of the squad, and all of them sat on this man, so I don’t know if they needed you or not, but they haven’t said anything to me yet,” the dispatcher said.
911 dispatcher was so concerned by police actions, she called for supervisor at George Floyd scene

*a reporter linked the recording here also.
*person with knife is unrelated.
Hours after a Minneapolis Police dispatcher reported to command staff “all of them sat on this man,” the MPD Public Information Officer described George Floyd's death by saying he “was suffering a medical distress.”

https://twitter.com/webster/status/1272599072096940032

Last edited:
The City of Minneapolis data release also includes a pair of 911 transcripts that were recorded just minutes after the dispatcher called her superior.

One caller said "we just watched Officer #987 kill a, ah...a citizen in front of a Chicago ah...sore. He just pretty much just killed this guy that wasn't resisting arrest. He had his knee on the dude's neck the whole time."

The caller continued, saying he was speaking with an off-duty firefighter who told the officers to check Floyd's pulse, but they refused.

Another 911 caller – an off-duty first responder who witnessed it unfold – told dispatch that they "literally watched police officers not take a pulse and not do anything to save a man, and I am a first responder myself, and I literally have it on video camera.

"I just happened to be on a walk so, this dude, this, they f------ killed him so," they added, before asking to talk to a supervisor.

The four officers – all since fired – involved in the arrest of Floyd have been charged in connection to his death, including Derek Chauvin, who is charged with second-degree murder.
https://bringmethenews.com/minnesot...erned-about-use-of-force-against-george-floyd
'You can call me a snitch if you want': 911 dispatcher concerned about George Floyd arrest called MPD sergeant

Last edited:
The trial will definitely be messy. I have a number of problems with the assumptions made in this article. But the biggest issue is the fact that the author Gavrilo David is nowhere to be found in a google search. Who is he? What are his credentials and biases? He has only written this one article.
Yes, I think Medium.com is just a blog where anyone can post stories or essays.

Anyway, I think the excuse that the officers were worried about excited delirium is just that, an excuse.

Floyd wasn't hyper-agressive or violent, he wasn't shouting or incoherent, and we know he wasn't intolerant to pain because he said, "it hurts," "everything hurts," as soon as they threw him to the ground. Imo

If they are un funded now, how could they be sued if they have no funds? Or would the state be sued instead?

I think a good lawyer would get the two rookies off if the body cams reveal they were following Chauvin's instructions.
The lawsuit will be against the City of Minneapolis, not the police department specifically.

Remember, those with antisocial personality disorder can pass these screenings quite easily.
My questions are what kind of mental health screening is performed before officers are hired to ferret out things like racist and sexist attitudes, a lack of empathy and poor judgement and does mental health screening occur on an on-going basis, and especially when an officer has multiple complaints that have been filed?

George Floyd: A dispatcher and two 911 callers voiced concerns over officer use of force

"You can call me a snitch if you want to, but we have the cameras up for 320's call ... I don't know if they had to use force or not, but they got something out of the back of the squad, and all of them sat on this man, so I don't know if they needed you or not, but they haven't said anything to me yet," the dispatcher was heard saying on the audio call.

Minneapolis police also released two 911 transcripts from May 25. One was from an unidentified off-duty firefighter who witnessed Floyd's death.

"I literally watched police officers not take a pulse and not do anything to save a man, and I am a first responder myself, and I literally have it on video camera. ... I just happened to be on a walk so, this dude, this, they *advertiser censored****g killed him," the firefighter told dispatchers.

The other caller was also unidentified and mentioned how an officer "pretty much just killed this guy that wasn't resisting arrest." That caller then requested to speak to a supervisor at the Minneapolis 3rd Precinct.

View attachment 251298
This interaction made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. A real high-five moment for them. This silent communication and unspoken gestures resemble a partnership in crime and warrants serious attention and investigation ... MOO.

IMOO, Thao is an evil on his own, and paired with Chauvin, they are deadly. His interactions with the bystanders were beyond appalling and scream intent. And I am glad his attempts to block the eye of the camera failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member