MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaspberryMama

RaspberryMama Well-Known Member

I
    I suppose so... I have children to protect... But we have somewhere to go if we have to. I do wish the destruction and looting and such weren't happening, but I have to say Mr. Floyd's last moments were truly terrifying. I'm not condoning the rioting, but I'm not *that* terrified. Not yet.

2. Dawookie

Dawookie Well-Known Member

It's like that everywhere right now. LASD sent something out to all deputies to be prepared and have all their equipment with them

3. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

Ah, I remember watching a documentary about this. Horses and also dogs are brought into riot situations because their presence has a proven track record of calming things down. It's psychological, mobs all fired up react in a very different way when animals are put in among them than they do when they're facing a line of human police officers in riot gear.

4. RaspberryMama

RaspberryMama Well-Known Member

That's Minneapolis? Why have a curfew if it's not going to be enforced?!

5. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

6. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

White House Lockdown Lifted; Protesters Express Outrage Over George Floyd’s Death

The U.S. Secret Service ordered the White House locked down for about an hour Friday evening due to people outside the gates protesting the death of George Floyd, according to NBC News White House Correspondent Peter Alexander.

The protesters have moved along to the Trump International Hotel and are demonstrating there.

7. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

8. Damarna

Damarna Well-Known Member

I don’t think that is really the entire story. There will be consequences. Part of the curfew is to dwindle the crowds. LE knows not everyone will adhere to the curfew. But many will. This is my home. I have LE friends and family involved.

9. dyannaON

dyannaON Well-Known Member

Although I’m in Canada, my ex BIL is a officer in ATL. Things are intense there. Stay safe everyone.

10. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

Protest - By all means.
    Riot and destroy other people's property and steal and put other people's lives in danger, I find it hard to believe these lawbreakers really care about George Floyd. JMO.

11. EstrellaEspectral

EstrellaEspectral Well-Known Member

Yes. They are are on south side in the March. Everyone is still marching. Trying to get the feed going down by the third precinct.

Having a hard time finding feeds because there are things happening all over the country.

12. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

and the looters .. what message are they sending ...

13. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

Crowds gather again in Columbus to protest police brutality, emergency declared in downtown area
    Peaceful protests in Columbus turned violent Thursday night when a few demonstrators threw objects at police, destroyed city property and broke into the Ohio Statehouse.

The Friday protest turned violent once again and police used pepper spray after protesters threw objects, including glass, at officers.

Not long after that, Columbus Police declared an emergency in the downtown area, meaning anyone who does not leave will be removed regardless of their reason for being there.

Columbus Police declared the emergency as laid out by Columbus City Code and the Ohio Revised Code.

14. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

Officers get a height advantage, making them visible to the crowd and the crowd visible to them. Intimidation factor is huge, as well as mobility. His horse is trained to push back. Most horses are trained to move away from pressure. I can poke mine with a finger and they will move out of my way. His is trained to push back, the harder you push her, the more she pushes you and you will lose that one especially if there is a hard object on the other side. They are amazingly tough creatures. If you think about a horse kicking another horse that’s a lot of force, no punch that a human can throw is even close and it’s assault if you do. Crowds tend to disperse around them, no one wants to get stepped on or trampled. Even in Houston TX the average person finds them intimidating, and while I’m not afraid of horses by any means I do respect their space especially if they aren’t mine.

15. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

I've never understood the mentality of looters. Stealing from innocent people? A week from now or a month from now, is a looter going to think back with pride and say 'wow my looting from that store really helped the cause'? I guess some people will. JMO

Marg from Oz, MaryG12, 303gmf and 5 others like this.
  16. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Well-Known Member

Yes, plus the fact that animals are unpredictable. An angry mob mentality breaks down into a collection of individuals using their own intellect much more quickly when horses and dogs are present than it does when only humans are present.

17. Steph8angels

Steph8angels Eye in the Sky

George Floyd protests: Protesters overrun Brooklyn Police Precinct

Update 9:55 p.m. EDT May 29: Protesters have reportedly overrun the 88th Precinct in Brooklyn. Other precincts in Brooklyn are under siege according to reports.

Protesters try to breach CNN lobby
    Update 9:35 p.m. EDT May 29: Protesters in Atlanta threw rocks and smoke grenades into the CNN lobby in what is believed to be an attempt to breach the lobby.

Derek Chauvin booking photo released
    Update 9:05 p.m. EDT May 29: The booking photo of ex-police officer Derek Chauvin has been released by Ramsey County jail.
    BREAKING: Derek Chauvin booking photo just released by Ramsey County jail @KSTP

[​IMG]

18. jbirner

jbirner Well-Known Member

I can't remember the last time I was afraid to go outside, even in my gated complex. So far Tampa is quiet, as far as I know. Really frightened right now.

19. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

20. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Mayor of Atlanta, Keisha Lance Bottoms, delivered a powerful speech tonight:

"Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms was visibly angry at a news conference during the Atlanta protests Friday, telling protesters to "go home" after they became violent and a police officer was hurt."

"What I see happening on the streets of Atlanta is not Atlanta. This is not a protest, This is not in the spirit of Martin Luther King, Jr. This is chaos. A protest has purpose. When Dr. King was assassinated, we didn't do this to our city," she said.

"If you want change in America, go and register to vote ... that is the change we need in this country."

She added: "If you care about this city then go home."

Last edited: May 29, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.