MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is perplexing and perhaps another problem for the MPD:

The late George Floyd and officer Derek Chauvin knew each other, having both worked security at a Minneapolis bar.

This seems now to make this a more personal crime. (IMHO)
Omg! I just wish one of the other officers went up to chauvin and drop kicked him. Goes back to
If you see something say something and better yet DO something

There are 3 types of cops. Some are professional and respectful. Some are willing to use their power and authority to do whatever they want with impunity, lying and committing crimes along the way. The third are those who support, back up, and lie for the others committing the crimes.

I'd like to think there are many in the first category, but the ones in the latter two seem to be far more prevalent, which is why I have very little regard for law enforcement officers the older I get.

Minority owned businesses who burned down or were looted last night are coming out in support today of the actions. They are saying that businesses can be rebuilt, lives cannot be brought back. They stand in solidarity with the protesters.
Appreciate the reply but that wasn't my question

Why does George Floyd need to be proven innocent? Even if he had resisted arrest on footage that we haven't seen yet, what difference does that make? Even if the $20 he passed was phony, and he knew it, what difference does that make? It doesn't matter what he did before that **** of a cop decided to kneel on him and choke the life out of him. Resisting arrest and/or passing fake bills doesn't give the cops the right to kill someone. Show the full video to gain the support of all Americans? I think what we saw was enough. This is why people are outraged.
Yes, even if the victim was running from them or acting strange or was "drunk" (as described by the caller) it was obvious that once he was restrained, handcuffed with his hands behind his back and lying prone on the ground, he was no longer a threat. He wasn't struggling or even moving at that point.

Then, after saying he couldn't breathe and bystanders told the officers he couldn't breathe, pleading with them to stop, the officer continuing to kneel on his neck, with all his weight, for another 7 or 8 minutes!

Why didn't they just lift him off the ground and put in him in the vehicle? Why continue to put pressure on his neck for another 4 or 5 minutes AFTER he had lost consciousness and appeared to be dead? The people recording them were pleading with the cops to stop and they were helpless to intervene. They had to stand by and witness a man struggling for breath and then dying. All while the officer leaned on his neck. It had to be agonizing for George Floyd to die that way. It was a controlled and deliberate action by the police officer. Not once did he check for a pulse or show any concern for a human life.

The people at the store said he was not resisting when officers arrived. The owner said if he was there he would have handled it differently. That tells me that Floyd may have been provoked in some way. We'll have to wait to see what the rest of the footage, and witnesses statements reveal.

Imo

Cup Food owners say video from the store, which they have been asked not to release, shows Floyd was not resisting officers.

They have offered to pay for Floyd’s funeral expenses.
Owner Of Cup Foods, Where Police First Encountered George Floyd, Calls F

I so want to know if the video this owner is referring to is the period I haven't found yet. Has anyone seen from where Mr George is sitting, handcuffed in front of the building TO Mr George face down with ex-cop killing him?

What could have happened, why was the ex-cop pressing his knee to Mr George's neck so long. What was he waiting for? Who called for an ambulance, police or general public?

There were four officers, why did they not place Mr George in the police car? He was cuffed.
There is a longer video but only a screen shot at link. Click on ‘Screenshot NBC News/YouTube’ it will take you to the video.

As I review the photos and some of the video of Mr. Floyd's killing, (I know this has probably been stated before) there is no sense of urgency, anger, sweat or hint that Mr. Floyd is doing any actions perceived as resisting. The cops don't appear worried or concerned. They are bizarrely blase about what is occurring. It is different than other times we see abuses occurring. No one is telling him to stop resisting or stop doing x or y. It is mind-boggling to me.

This is an accurate description, well said and I hope you don't mind my using it as a springboard.

Seeing the side by side of Chauvin on his knee and Kaepernick on his knee really bother me. Viewing it makes me feel like Chauvin was mocking Kaepernick. Like a knee to the neck is the new rope and a tree.

This case has effected me like no other case of police brutality.

NYPD issues officer safety alert after Brooklyn man's 'cop killings' online threat

The internal memo was sent to officers Thursday amid protests in New York and other U.S. cities over the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, a black man who, while handcuffed, pleaded for air as a white police officer kneeled on his neck.

The NYPD alert advises officers that the Brooklyn man named Khaalid Anderson, 26, issued a threat on social media, saying, “Cop killings are gonna be a thing... somebody gotta die.”
Not only did he kneel on his neck as he pleaded for air, he continued to do so for several minutes after the victim appeared to be limp and lifeless. As the people watching begged them to stop, the other officers just stood by and watched.

JUST CAME TO POST THIS AWESOME NEWS!!!!

so. happy. may justice be served and may the many communities heal and be restored. sigh of relief

FINALLY

Theo Keith on Twitter
#BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody by state authorities, Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington says.
So now the rioting and looting should stop immediately. If people continue to steal we will know that their true motive is simply greed.

Minority owned businesses who burned down or were looted last night are coming out in support today of the actions. They are saying that businesses can be rebuilt, lives cannot be brought back. They stand in solidarity with the protesters.

So these business owners won't be expecting the state or federal government to fund cost to replace their business. I guess, they won't be filing lawsuits for failure to protect their businesses.

That's a relief....

Not only did he kneel on his neck as he pleaded for air, he continued to do so for several minutes after the victim appeared to be limp and lifeless. As the people watching begged them to stop, the other officers just stood by and watched.

YES!!!! Not removing his knee, when the man was clearly in distress is unlawful!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member