MN MN - Jackie Theel, 6, Paynesville, 5 Sept 1944

The teacher would have been a teacher in the Paynesville School District for a number of years, and recognized the family resemblance - not necessarily that it was Jackie. This boy had several brothers. In one article, the quote was she saw someone who looked like a "Theel boy." Not only did Jackie have several brothers who could all be similar in appearance, there was a large extended family in the area. We all know how strong family resemblance can be, especially if from a small, rural community. In my small town, I could look at my daughter's classmates and know which of my classmates were the parents.
I get what you're saying but do you really think you could pick out one of your children's friends over a decade later and not in your small hometown but in a city teeming with people? Perhaps you could, I don't know, but I don't much so much faith in family resemblance being a positive identifier.
Seeing someone who looked like a Theel boy, and seeing THE Theel boy are very different things. Potentially thousands of people could look like a Theel boy.
No, I'm more convinced than ever that this teacher maybe wanted to see Jackie, but didn't.
I don't personally believe he ever left town.

There could be quite a number of different scenarios which would explain Jackie's seemingly permanent disappearance.

It is highly doubtful that a little 6 year old boy would intentionally "run away" with the intent of beginning a new life, never contacting his family or friends again.

It might be a possibility that he met with an accident, such as falling down an open well or drain, but in such a situation, he would have been found long ago.

Placing one's self in Jackie's shoes that lunch hour, he would have wanted to get home to eat (since he hadn't had much breakfast) and to tell his mother about his new school and teacher. His only problem initially was being on his own and disoriented as to where home was. His mother had anticipated or understood this and had appointed an older brother to walk him home - even writing a note to his teacher about it.

The one thing that stands out in my mind is the train which arrived during the lunch hour, probably announcing itself with its whistle - a sound Jackie knew well since his house was very close to the rail road track and the station. Hearing the train whistle would have been a major clue to him as to what direction his home was.

If he had first headed West by mistake, he wouldn't have gone far until he reached the highway - probably something he knew he was not to cross. Hearing the train, he would have headed north along the side of the highway in the general direction of the creamery, the train tracks, and home. I believe that this was supported by people who claimed to have seen him near the highway. He might have been abducted by someone driving past, or he may have been abducted by someone in the vicinity of the train tracks.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back