MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #1

Discussion in 'Jacob Wetterling General Discussion Threads' started by mushyb, Jan 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dum-Dum Sucker

Dum-Dum Sucker Well-Known Member

A comment from a local on one of the St. Cloud Times articles said that the area is so isolated, that the abductor must have seen the boys ride their bikes past, and knew that they would be returning, so he lay in wait. Absolutely chilling.

2. Shay

Shay Active Member

The area of digging is not up by the farm or outbuildings but more out by a field (corn maybe?) It looks like a dirt or grassy road leads from the farmsite to this area of digging.

I have a hunch that whoever is farming this property (since the parents are retired) possibly came across a human bone or other evidence.

3. Dum-Dum Sucker

:( You're so right, Shay. Innocence was shattered. And whoever would dream that such a thing could happen in little St. Joe's.

4. Dum-Dum Sucker

And, speaking of SJU, I will say that that had been an area of suspicion for me in the Jacob case.

jmo

5. Dum-Dum Sucker

Good sleuthing, Shay. The media is saying that new, fresh detectives are taking a second look at the case (always a good thing) and this is the reason for the search.

But - you're right - this area is further out, it seems - and quite specific to have been found since just yesterday morning. You may just be on to something.

On another note - how typical that precious Patty would have been down in the Cities at some seminar on sexual offenders (something like that) when the search began. Nearly 21 years later, and the gallant woman is still fighting the good fight. May the Lord bless her. :blowkiss:

jmo

6. wonders

wonders My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are

May I ask if this is the little boy who with his brother were riding bikes and someone took him?

7. lilacwine

lilacwine Member

Wow.... this case has haunted me for years.

I can understand how Patty doesn't know what to wish for...

I can also sympathize with the family who own the search area.

Question to Shay and anyone else who might know...

They took DNA from the gentleman who lived at the farm. Was their DNA at the scene to compare it to?

8. Shay

Shay Active Member

Thank you...and yes you're right, the area of digging is small in scope when compared to the property as a whole! Plus they said this phase of the investigation is complete...so they aren't just tromping around 158 acres digging holes willy-nilly, they knew the precise area they wanted to search.

Yes, poor Patty...and she's hobbling around on crutches as well (broken ankle I think.) She's never given up on Jacob.

Praying for closure.

9. Shay

Shay Active Member

Yes it is. There were two other boys with Jacob, a brother and a friend.

10. Shay

Shay Active Member

His DNA was taken years ago, as well as a polygraph test. I believe they took DNA samples from dozens of people.

We have no idea what, if anything was found at the scene. Hopefully tomorrow's press release will hold some information.

11. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

Yes - even in Nova Scotia, where I grew up, I remember this case being really shocking/fascinating to me. I was the same age as Jacob, and lived in a very similar community... It was like if he wasn't safe no one was. It changed a lot about how I saw the world.

I would love to see this case come to some sort of closure and justice.

12. WhyaDuck?

WhyaDuck? Inactive

Respectfully, I did not call him creepy, but was referring to comments on the news articles. I have never met the man. And in my posts I have tried to be very cautious, for the very reasons you state in this post.

I, too, feel that we should all be cautious until we know more.

ETA: I believe I shall retire from this thread. I really hope for some results in this case, though. 21 years! Such a long time. :(

13. wonders

wonders My opinion's may not alway's be right but they are

Thank you Shay. I did look at an article above. I saw this case on a show recently. I feel so sad for this family.

14. Dum-Dum Sucker

Local news just said that Patty Wetterling is getting calls from the national news outlets - she even got a call from Oprah's people.

I think Pat Brown will be on our 10:00 news. I don't have DVR (??). I'll be watching Channel 9. Can other locals cover Channels 5 and 11??? tia

15. Lotus

Lotus New Member

I really hope this new investigation turns out some final answers.

16. watermelonlady

watermelonlady New Member

Trino, regarding your observation about the voice of the abductor. I remember reading in more than one article the boys remember the voice of the man was very unique. Kind of raspy, like he had a cold or something. :eek:

17. laini

laini cemetery walker

Why would LE collect dna? What would they compare it to? Any ideas?

18. Dum-Dum Sucker

19. Lotus

Lotus New Member

The man who abducted Jacob was believed to have abducted another boy months before (in nearby Cold Spring, MN) and sexually assaulted him in his car before letting him go, so I imagine (without getting too graphic) that DNA evidence was taken from the boy afterward at the hospital and kept stored away by LE.

20. Lotus

Lotus New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.