MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002 - #2

There was Life Safety Officers back in 2002, and the officers that were close to the investigation are still at SJU today, lips tightly sealed.

Did SJU have Life Safety Officers back in 2002?

If so, I wonder if there’s a retired LSO out there who was employed by SJU in 2002 and would be willing to answer some questions?

I mean, NDAs could have been slid across the table at some point after Josh’s disappearance, but if not, maybe there’s a retired employee out there who feels no sense of allegiance to SJU as their former employer and could maybe shed some light on how the first 24-48 hours went down?

You never know…it’s not irrational to think subpar police work could leave key players unquestioned for weeks or even years. There are cases where even eye witnesses haven’t been questioned once.

Thoughts?

Hey all, I'm new here. I graduated from CSBSJU in 2018 and grew up about 10 miles outside of St. Joe. I'm currently a 2L law student. I had been obsessed with both Jacob Wetterling and Josh Guimond for years, even prior to attending St. Bens. I was a sophomore in 2016 when Jacob was found. I walked to Local Blend that morning and saw news crews everywhere. The mishandling of Jacob's case is no secret in Stearns County, but at the end of the day, the 27 year old mystery surrounding his abduction and subsequent murder was solved and he was brought home to rest, and that's truly what matters most. I'm hopeful the same can be done for Josh, but I'm not willfully ignorant to the fact that it will likely be an uphill battle, considering three of the major players include SJU, the monastery, and Stearns County PD.

I can also attest to the disheartening lack of acknowledgement of Josh's disappearance. I'm aware tensions were high in the early years of the "investigation," however; I found it sad that the school never publicly posted, or even acknowledged, Josh's disappearance. I spoke with my psychology professor often about the case because he was really the only faculty who would engage, and his insights were fairly valuable IMO.
Welcome to Ws @ izzy_mae_, thank you for chiming in on behalf of Joshua!
I personally fear that SCPD will prove to be difficult in Josh's case because they likely don't want the public to loose any more faith in their ability to solve crime than it already had from Jacob's case. I also fear that the school will prove to be equally as difficult. I'm not certain of the relationship that exists between the monastery and the school, but I'd imagine there is some sort of hierarchy that would be interesting to explore. Monks have a strong presence on campus, and some "fathers" and "brothers" even live in the dorms, often at the end of the hall, where they oversee dorm activity. I was caught in the male dorms past curfew one evening and the following day, my boyfriend (at the time) and I were called into the "brother's" "dorm" (apartment?) and I'll be honest...it felt odd. This is all to say that the culture of CSBSJU, and SJU in particular, is heavily influenced by the Catholic Church and while I haven't explored the nature of that relationship, I imagine its interesting to say the least.

I've often made the 3-minute walk Josh had taken the night he disappeared. It's difficult to describe just how small the campus really is, and how second-nature the student flow of traffic seems. For instance, the Link (the campus buses) run at 15-minute intervals almost all day long, up until about 2a.m. most weekend nights (correct me if I'm wrong/if things have changed since 2018). So, if Josh walked back to Maur around midnight on November 9th 2002, which was a Saturday, there should have been buses running.

Moreover, I think most other CSBSJU students would agree that anywhere from 10pm - 12am/1am, there are students walking around, especially if they're walking from their dorms/apartments to the two bus stops on the SJU campus or vice versa. I just find it difficult to believe that if Josh hadn't wandered into the woods or fell into a body of water (for which there is no evidence to suggest he had), and if he had been met with foul play and/or taken against his will, someone would have seen something. If he had gotten into a vehicle with someone along his walk back to Maur, I tend to think it must have been with someone he knew, trusted, or respected otherwise any struggle would have been noticed. There's enough activity on a Saturday night at SJU for someone to hear Josh, and hopefully help him, if he had screamed for help or showed signs of a struggle.

I guess I don't really know where to go from here, but I'm glad to see people are interested in Josh's case. I loved my time at CSBSJU, but I refuse to be willfully blind to the realities surrounding his disappearance. The arboretum is vast, and the forests are deep. There are a few different bodies of water on campus, though they have been dredged and searched. The campus sits right alongside I-94, the largest highway in Minnesota. He could have vanished within the small window of time between buses. The Abbey is sacred to both the church and the school. There is a monastery that sits right on campus, along the waterline of Lake Sag. There is a preparatory school on campus. There are secrets, some of which have come to light, and some of which, I imagine, remain "behind the pine curtain."

Does anyone know if any of the coaches or teammates of the ‘02-‘03 Mock Trial team been interviewed? Aside from Kate Benson.

Attachments

• F5CA9349-2EE8-4E16-ABBE-FDF74563BAC6.png
    F5CA9349-2EE8-4E16-ABBE-FDF74563BAC6.png
    386.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BDD458A4-616C-45F3-A683-EDF184796D5D.png
    BDD458A4-616C-45F3-A683-EDF184796D5D.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 58CF14F0-280E-4F39-A638-9AFBA4572DD7.png
    58CF14F0-280E-4F39-A638-9AFBA4572DD7.png
    402.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
The Wollerman worm-hole is interesting. Moreover, certain timelines and profiles appear to suspiciously line up. I remember speaking to a Prof who asserted there was a sexual deviant on campus who had died suspiciously and who he felt may have been responsible for Josh’s disappearance. I’ll never forget the end of that convo when he said something like, “If I ever find out someone at SJU was responsible, I’ll leave and never turn back.” I’m working on reconnecting with those I’ve spoken too in the past who were on campus in ‘02 and who have done deep dives into the Abbey.

Video:
The St. John's University student, who disappeared in November 2002, has never been found and the case remains unsolved.

First WS post. Have been listening to Simply Vanished, a new podcast doing a deep investigative dive into Joshua's case. It is a high quality production and the investigation appears earnest, evidence driven and has interviewed Joshua's family and friends.

Of interest as "new", at least me and reporting of the case I have seen, has been a spate on incidents involving young men around the SJU campus - several of these are from around the time in November 2002 Joshua vanished, others from 2003. 4 incidents involve young men being followed, accosted and/ or chased by men in a vehicle and are relayed as some kind of abduction attempt. It is hard to assess the veracity of each incident or if / how they may be connected to Joshua's dissappearance but if these accounts are accurate they may very well be of some significance.

The Stearns County Sheriff’s Office says 20-year-old Joshua Guimond went to a party at the Metten Court dorms at St. John’s University on Nov. 9, 2002. At around 11:45 p.m. that night, he left and hasn’t been seen since.

Authorities say many people at the party didn’t even know Guimond had left, and nobody knew where he went.

Oct 21 2022
''Investigators say they found several pictures of individuals on Josh's computer after his disappearance and are asking the public if they recognize any of those pictured.''

''Anyone with information related to Josh's disappearance or the identities of those pictured is asked to contact Investigator Struffert with the Stearns County Sheriff's Office at 320-259-3700 or submit a tip online.''
1666412456222.png
'June 2022

OCT 18, 2022
1666413131943.png

1666413163056.png

'The first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries season 3 are streaming on Netflix, with ensuing trios dropping Oct. 25 and Nov. 1.'

Last edited:
Oct 21 2022
''Investigators say they found several pictures of individuals on Josh's computer after his disappearance and are asking the public if they recognize any of those pictured.''

''Anyone with information related to Josh's disappearance or the identities of those pictured is asked to contact Investigator Struffert with the Stearns County Sheriff's Office at 320-259-3700 or submit a tip online.''
View attachment 374707
'June 2022

OCT 18, 2022
View attachment 374708

View attachment 374710

'The first three episodes of Unsolved Mysteries season 3 are streaming on Netflix, with ensuing trios dropping Oct. 25 and Nov. 1.'
20 years after the fact and now they share this info and ask for help?!? Sigh…

''Law enforcement says many people at the party didn’t realize he had left, and he hasn’t been seen since. Guimond is described as being six-foot-tall, weighing 176 pounds and having blonde hair.

Investigators found several images of unidentified people on Guimond’s computer who they believe could have information about his disappearance.

Anyone who recognizes these individuals or has information about Guimond’s disappearance is asked to call 320-259-3700 or submit a tip here. ''

20 years after the fact and now they share this info and ask for help?!? Sigh…
The delay in releasing these photos seems crazy? Wonder what the justification for such a delay could be - the photos were not recovered from computer initially, or revisit of evidence catalysed by Unsolved Mysteries episode or new podcast? I don't understand why these photos were not released previously.

I live in Stevens County. If the information I read was accurate, two days after Joshua went missing, someone went into his dorm and erased hundreds of photos off of his computer. These new photos maybe just now came too light especially because his father in 2021 filed a lawsuit against Stearns county and their lack of action in solving the case. Now the investigations seems to be in full throttle. So maybe they just now found those pictures.

The other thing they found on Joshua‘s computer was information on how to make fake identity cards.

There were other attempted abductions.

Always late at night always when these young men were out walking and in two cases the victims were able to run away and seek help.

Joshua‘s father thinks his son was set up and that his son is still alive for some purpose.

The police didn’t talk to students until two weeks after Joshua disappeared. The father thinks he knows who is responsible but it cannot be proven yet. He went to the school himself to investigate until a restraining order was put on him.

There are three other people that have disappeared in that area that are still missing. The sheriffs email said they would put out more information this week.

So much information kept in the dark for so many years. Similar to the Wetterling case, it is my opinion Josh's case was mishandled from the beginning. Why were these photographs kept from the public for so long? It is possible someone may have recognized people in these photos that are now 20 years old. Did the sheriff know about the other attempted abductions and where these occurred? Was the public alerted to these attempted abductions? Twenty years later we are allowed to view this information, and it's probably solely due to the efforts of the person who created the "Simply Vanished" podcast about Josh. Josh's Dad begged for years to see everything the sheriff had with regard to Josh's case. Mr. and Mrs. Guimond were not treated well in my opinion. The whole situation is a tragedy from start to finish. But if this case is solved, I give all the credit to Josh Newville and the brave souls calling in with information.

I live in Stevens County. If the information I read was accurate, two days after Joshua went missing, someone went into his dorm and erased hundreds of photos off of his computer. These new photos maybe just now came too light especially because his father in 2021 filed a lawsuit against Stearns county and their lack of action in solving the case. Now the investigations seems to be in full throttle. So maybe they just now found those pictures.

The other thing they found on Joshua‘s computer was information on how to make fake identity cards.

There were other attempted abductions.

Always late at night always when these young men were out walking and in two cases the victims were able to run away and seek help.

Joshua‘s father thinks his son was set up and that his son is still alive for some purpose.

The police didn’t talk to students until two weeks after Joshua disappeared. The father thinks he knows who is responsible but it cannot be proven yet. He went to the school himself to investigate until a restraining order was put on him.

There are three other people that have disappeared in that area that are still missing. The sheriffs email said they would put out more information this week.

Hello fellow Minnesotan! I live in the cities, but we have farmland in Mille Lacs County that we use as a weekend getaway in the spring, summer, and fall. We are there quite often. Our place is to the east of Stearns county and you are to the west if the map in my head is correct?

I spent years following Jacob Wetterling's case and it was draining. I've not followed Josh's much because it's just so hard emotionally.

But I'm here now.

St. John's campus and Stearns County LE have reputations that are less than stellar. I feel that Josh was too responsible of a kid to unexpectedly change his plans for that evening. I'm curious to know his dad's theory. God bless his parents. He was their only child. I don't know how they go on.

If we still can't find the person who used the computer washer in joshuas room 7 days after his disappearance, how will this casee ever get solved?

How does his roommate Nick not know who did it, he was still actively living there.He's the one who won't take the polygraph. There is something to this.

Also you learn that LE had over 20 photos of men on his computer from a 2008 bca search and just release the photo set 14 years later?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back