MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems to imply the cameras were turned on after the shooting.

"In Damond’s case, the body cameras were not turned on until after the shooting, according to investigators; so far, the only details about what happened have been provided by one of the officers in the car."

There is a 30 second buffer on the cameras, like a TiVo, they are recording all the time but don't save the film unless the cam is activated at which point it saves 30 seconds before they push the button.
These devices can be programmed to save up to 2 minutes but they have chosen to set them at 30 seconds.

"Even though the Minneapolis body cameras have to be turned on, there is a failsafe for when officers only start filming after something takes place. The cameras worn by Minneapolis officers come with what is known as a “buffer time” function, which means they are always filming but almost never actually saving the footage. When the cameras are manually activated, they save the 30-second clip filmed right before the officer started recording.*(Similar technology is used within some public transit agencies, like several in the Washington region, which use constantly filming cameras that perpetually record over old footage unless the system is triggered and begins saving those clips.)"

LE has body cameras but they don't use them much, apparently.

"According to The Washington Post’s database tracking police shootings, there have been at least 547 fatal shootings by police*this year, and 57 of them involved police-worn body cameras, on pace to trail last year but be up from two years ago.
There were 963 fatal shootings by police last year, and 138 of them involved officers wearing body cameras. In 2015, the first year The Post began tracking such shootings, there were 991 fatal shootings by police with 74 of them captured on video."

What the Minneapolis police shooting tells us about the limits of body cameras

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...imits-of-body-cameras/?utm_term=.42fd73232899

Lock him up.

He sounds too fragile to be a cop.

at the risk of sounding like Nancy Grace ..BOMBSHELL...not msm but my source has seldom been wrong here it is as he tells his friends but not LE
"Mohamed Noor has not spoken to state investigators about why he shot Justine Damond in Minneapolis on Saturday - but has given an account to friends
They have spoken to DailyMail.com and revealed his first detailed version of how he shot the bride-to-be, 40, after she called 911
Noor says she approached their police cruiser in the dark after a loud bang and that he could not tell what she was carrying, so he shot her
He was 'startled' and the cruiser's lights were off at the time, he has told friends
Noor, a Somali-born American has also said he feels isolated for his race and friend said: 'His feeling is "I am an immigrant, a Muslim and not white."'
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension issued statement on Tuesday night revealing he had declined to be interviewed by its investigators

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...story-Justine-startled-him.html#ixzz4nJ1CDg8r
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

THIS IS JUST AWFUL. Just wait until my fellow Minneapolis citizens and her family see this!!

Here we go again..."The friend said: 'Mohamed believes he acted to protect himself and his colleague, but accepts since that she was not armed.
'It was over in seconds and it was a very tense moment. He is sorry for the woman and her family.
'But he would never have opened fire without genuinely feeling in danger.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...story-Justine-startled-him.html#ixzz4nJ2xrf7x

Another I feared for my life.

Pondering all this new police violence and wonder how much of this has to do with the police force allowing people who in the good ole days would not pass the psychological exam.??? I recall back in the 80's several guys I knew who IMO were A-holes and would have made perfect cops but they failed the tests the HR department gave them LOL It is a very hard job and takes a special person to do that type of work. There is not enough money in the world to get me to do that job so I feel for those that have dedicated themselves to this field.

I guess what I was thinking is the difference between shooting a person that you just pulled over for say not fully stopping at a stop sign or as in this case an unknown person coming up to your window. These examples would be unknown persons. Now compare them to going to a house to serve a warrant to a known violent person that has attacked an officer in the past, or coming up to speak to a person that the officer knows has a history of violence. I guess what I’m really saying is in my opinion an officer should be judge much harsher if he is startled by a random person like little Jonny coming up to his window to see if he wants to by candy for his school fund raiser.

This loud bang is awfully convenient and the fireworks, as some posted earlier- were far from this area- over by the police station. Still think the loud bang Haffity heard was the gun going off next to him. She could not have been at the window and coming towards them at the same time

Part of this problem is that she was in her pajamas--- so, wouldn't it be clear from the moment he saw her-- that she wasn't a threat ?
Just a resident out walking over to speak to them ??
It's summer now-- so that means pajamas (for ladies) are usually nighties that basically hug your curves... and she looked fairly thin in the photos-- so no place to conceal any weapon.

(... Yes, I'm going to go on a shooting rampage whilst dressed in my nightie ! Riiiight...)
:moo:

This seems to imply the cameras were turned on after the shooting.

"In Damond’s case, the body cameras were not turned on until after the shooting, according to investigators; so far, the only details about what happened have been provided by one of the officers in the car."

There is a 30 second buffer on the cameras, like a TiVo, they are recording all the time but don't save the film unless the cam is activated at which point it saves 30 seconds before they push the button.
These devices can be programmed to save up to 2 minutes but they have chosen to set them at 30 seconds.

"Even though the Minneapolis body cameras have to be turned on, there is a failsafe for when officers only start filming after something takes place. The cameras worn by Minneapolis officers come with what is known as a “buffer time” function, which means they are always filming but almost never actually saving the footage. When the cameras are manually activated, they save the 30-second clip filmed right before the officer started recording.*(Similar technology is used within some public transit agencies, like several in the Washington region, which use constantly filming cameras that perpetually record over old footage unless the system is triggered and begins saving those clips.)"

LE has body cameras but they don't use them much, apparently.

"According to The Washington Post’s database tracking police shootings, there have been at least 547 fatal shootings by police*this year, and 57 of them involved police-worn body cameras, on pace to trail last year but be up from two years ago.
There were 963 fatal shootings by police last year, and 138 of them involved officers wearing body cameras. In 2015, the first year The Post began tracking such shootings, there were 991 fatal shootings by police with 74 of them captured on video."

What the Minneapolis police shooting tells us about the limits of body cameras

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...imits-of-body-cameras/?utm_term=.42fd73232899

per local pressers no cameras were on period except possible dash cam that did "not capture the event"

"Noor told associates it was dark and the situation was already tense as the caller had been 'panicking' when making the 911 call reporting an assault in the alley beyond where Justine lived with her fiancé and his son."

In the transcripts of two calls, she doesn't sound "panicked" to me, she sounds very reasonable, has anyone found the actual audio posted of the 911 call?

Incident Number: 17-265936 July 15, 2017; 23.27:02
Time: 23:27:02
Operator: 911, what's the address of the emergency?
Caller: Hi, I'm, I can hear someone out the back and I, I'm not sure if she's having sex or being raped.
Operator: Give me the address.
Caller: XXXX Washburn Avenue South.
Operator: Washburn Avenue South. You said it's behind (inaudible)?
Caller: And there's a (inaudible) out the back, yup, yup. And I think she just yelled out 'help,' but it's difficult the sound has been going on for a while, but I think, I don't think she's enjoying it. I think it's, I don't know.
Operator: Okay, already got a call started and help on the way. Uh, you can't see anything, you're just hearing a female screaming then, is that what you're saying?
Caller: Yeah. It sounds like sex noises, but it's been going on for a while and I think she tried to say help and it sounds distressed.
Operator: Okay, I've already got an officer on the way. What is your name?
Caller: JUSTINE.
Operator: JUSTINE, what's your last name?
Caller: JUSTINE.
Operator: JUSTINE.
Caller: Yeah.
Operator: And a phone number?
Caller: REDACTED
Operator: Okay, we've already got help on the way. If anything changes before we get there just give us a call right back, but officers should be there soon.
Caller: Thanks.
Operator: Okay, not a problem.
[DAMOND CALLS BACK AT 23.35:23]*
Operator: 911, what is the address of the emergency?
Caller: Hi, I just reported one, but no one's here and was wondering if they gotthe address wrong.
Operator: What's the address?
Caller: XXXX Washburn Avenue South. It supposed to be Washburn Avenue South.
Operator: Are you JUSTINE?
Caller: Yeah, (inaudible).
Operator: You're hearing a female screaming?
Caller: Yes, along behind the house.
Operator: Yup, officers are on the way there.
Caller: Thank you.
Operator: You're welcome, bye.**

yes I guess that is true but "ambush" sounds well so wild west.

Still catching up but just last year Dallas cops were ambushed while protecting the BLM protest. The lady cop in New York was ambushed sitting her patrol car. Not defending this cop but this happening a lot lately.

Here we go again..."The friend said: 'Mohamed believes he acted to protect himself and his colleague, but accepts since that she was not armed.
'It was over in seconds and it was a very tense moment. He is sorry for the woman and her family.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...story-Justine-startled-him.html#ixzz4nJ2xrf7x

He'll have to do better than that. A woman in PJs approaching the car in a well lit area is no reason to fear for your life. She wasn't even approaching his side of the car. He apparently didn't say anything to her, like "Stop! Get Back!" etc.---he just shot her. No excuse.

This poor woman and her family. Reading this transcript really magnifies the tragedy of this situation.

Still catching up but just last year Dallas cops were ambushed while protecting the BLM protest. The lady cop in New York was ambushed sitting her patrol car. Not defending this cop but this happening a lot lately.

when someone up thread posted this I thought about it for a minute and could see how this could have been possible. Whether or not he really felt in danger I guess we will never know. What I would lkie to know is what did the other cop say and feel? Did he feel this was a set up?

Agree with above--a women in PJ's approaches and gets shot. This could have been a child..I thought PD was supposed to give a verbal warning--Halt Police..This guy just whipped out his gun and shot... And the caller had reported a possible sexual assault--ie a women saying "HELP"..My first thought would be that the figure approaching was the victim of the supposed assault.. And, since the police cruiser had no light on how would Justine even know this was the police ?? She was probably checking the car out ??? She had made a second call to 911 because the police had not shown up..What if a neighbor had also gone out to check out the screams for help. Would Noor have shot them also. I think this behavior is reckless and he should be charge.

Justine seems like the one that was ambushed.
I'm sure she never imagined the cops she called for help would shoot her.
So many more citizens are killed by cops than the other way around.

The longest list I can find lists two last year, (the ones you mentioned), three in 2014 was the most of any year. Less than 20 cops have been "ambushed" since the 1930's.
They ambushed more unarmed citizens in any recent given year.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...h-killings-in-us-and-its-territories.amp.html

With what we know so far he did everything wrong. I suspect he will charged and found guilty, if he doesn't try to make a plea deal of some type. jmo

when someone up thread posted this I thought about it for a minute and could see how this could have been possible. Whether or not he really felt in danger I guess we will never know. What I would lkie to know is what did the other cop say and feel? Did he feel this was a set up?

well 2nd cop, the driver appears to support his partner/buddy, says the loud sound starlted him right before the passenger cop fired his weapon:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officer-partner-fired-fatal-shot-moments-loud-sound-051017189.html

Question for the older folks in here like me: Would you say cops in general were more trusting of the public back in the 70-80's? Is this a new thing or are we just hearing more about it due to all the technology we have now ???

With what we know so far he did everything wrong. I suspect he will charged and found guilty, if he doesn't try to make a plea deal of some type. jmo

If he is found guilty, I will be surprised and wonder why this guy when all the other scared cops are acquitted.

The one thing I'm sure of, MPD will pay Justine's family millions, that's always part of the deal when they kill you for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa