MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody made this guy to become a policeman. He would have to apply like everybody else.

Officer who shot dead bride-to-be outside her Minneapolis home only had seven months training after he was fast-tracked through the police cadet program

The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman graduated from the city's accelerated police cadet program.
Officer Mohamed Noor graduated in 2015 after the seven month training program, which is a quicker, nontraditional route to policing aimed at helping those who already have a college degree enter law enforcement, The Star Tribune reported.
Mr Noor shot dead bride-to-be Justine Damond on July 15 as she stood outside her Minneapolis home in pajamas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mond-seven-months-training.html#ixzz4qPrdUVxz

Officer who shot dead bride-to-be outside her Minneapolis home only had seven months training after he was fast-tracked through the police cadet program

The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman graduated from the city's accelerated police cadet program.
Officer Mohamed Noor graduated in 2015 after the seven month training program, which is a quicker, nontraditional route to policing aimed at helping those who already have a college degree enter law enforcement, The Star Tribune reported.
Mr Noor shot dead bride-to-be Justine Damond on July 15 as she stood outside her Minneapolis home in pajamas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mond-seven-months-training.html#ixzz4qPrdUVxz

Katy I think there may be some serious review of this program....but honestly they are simply not lining up to become officers these days...and sadly they are not in some cases getting the best candidates for the job but seem to feel they have to compromise just to get a force on the streets. I am not sure what the answer is...ideally we would want people that have a dedication to the job and citizens...I think many officers these days do not have this dedication.

Katy I think there may be some serious review of this program....but honestly they are simply not lining up to become officers these days...and sadly they are not in some cases getting the best candidates for the job but seem to feel they have to compromise just to get a force on the streets. I am not sure what the answer is...ideally we would want people that have a dedication to the job and citizens...I think many officers these days do not have this dedication.

I know a lot of police officers who transferred out and went to other Law Enforcement agencies. Working street patrol is very sketchy right now.

I don't think it is a lack of dedication. But a lack of trust that their superiors will have their backs if an arrest goes sideways.

Regarding recruitment and hiring of MPLS police officers:

From Jan 2017:

Frustration grows with Minneapolis police psychological screening process
Critics say Minneapolis police screenings unfairly disqualify some, lack transparency.

http://www.startribune.com/frustrat...ce-psychological-screening-process/410036165/

From Aug 2014, which is the time frame that this officer was recruited:

Minneapolis police struggle to hire diverse force
Despite years of diversity plans, Minneapolis comes up short on black and Hispanic officers.

http://www.startribune.com/despite-...ice-struggle-to-hire-diverse-force/271772331/

And from 2016, when crime was rising, and there was "controversy" over hiring more police officers, with some in the community wanting programs over officers. Also, a discussion of the persistent difficulty with recruiting minority candidates (specifically black and hispanic officers) from the communities they would serve. (The % of asian and native american officers mirrors, or exceeds, the resident populations in MPLS).

http://www.startribune.com/mayor-s-plan-to-add-minneapolis-cops-faces-community-pushback/405121016/

https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2016/07/hiring-diverse-police-force-its-easier-said-done

And a commentary on MN's educational requirements for potential police officers:

Minnesota is the only state in the nation that tasks colleges and universities, not police academies, with police officer education and training. To become eligible for a Minnesota Peace Officer License, one must earn at least a two-year degree from a regionally accredited college or university and successfully complete a PPOE program from one of approximately 30 colleges and universities certified by the Minnesota Board of Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). On paper this sounds great. Indeed, it guarantees Minnesota has the most educated officers in the nation. The problem is, they are getting a bad education.

Deadly force myopia means law-enforcement programs are expensive to run (bullets cost money), thus PPOE schools need large numbers of full-time equivalent (FTE) students in their classes in order to continue to offer them. Most PPOE programs are housed in open-access colleges and universities that service anyone and everyone. The problem, of course, is not anyone can protect and serve and certainly not everyone will be good at it. Unless a student has a disqualifier that would clearly prevent him or her from being a peace officer, however, there is nothing a PPOE school can do to stop the person enrolling in the program. They can advise students against it, but not bar them outright, for to do so would violate a school’s anti-discrimination policy. Such explains why less than half of all PPOE graduates actually get a police job in the state. College gets you license-eligible (for a fee!). Police agencies control who gets licensed.

License eligibility is no indicator of quality
Since all law-enforcement graduates have invested two to four years minimum into becoming a cop, at an estimated cost of anywhere from $15,000 to $100,000, depending on the school, there can be no question they are objectively qualified for and committed to the profession before they enter it. But license eligibility, the true outcome of PPOE, is no indicator of quality. Graduates all look, sound, and think the same, chiefs tell me. The process intended to separate high-quality law-enforcement graduates from their low-quality counterparts is actually pooling them because a) law-enforcement degrees provide a pretty narrow workforce preparation and b) the high financial and opportunity costs associated with PPOE compared to traditional police academies dissuade diverse or “second-career candidates” from taking the plunge.

https://www.minnpost.com/community-...nnesotas-system-police-education-and-training

Hi again all, just checking in. Sad to know this has gone so quiet.
I wonder what kind of skills are taught to these officers, in fast track program especially. While Noor may have been book smart and intelligence, was he taught to handle stressful situations and did he have the right demeanor to handle a weapon??
Note the law as I understand it for police officers is that the use of deadly force is permitted if they believe they are in danger. This is why I think Castiles killer, Yanez, got off in court. Watch the videos, it is clear that Yanez was definitely freaked out.
But I heard a podcast that played a prior call of Yanez, before he shot Castile, a time when he discharged his weapon. The guy was panic breathing for something like 15 minutes after the incident. Really audible inhales/exhales. The obvious question is, was Yanez mentally fit to handle the stresses of police work? I wonder if there is a little of that at play with Noor. Was he able to remain calm in stressful situations? I wonder how they train cops in this particular area and if they get regular mental health evaluations - because no doubt police work is stressful and not everyone can handle that kind of stress day in and day out....
Anyway prayers for Justines family and friends and hoping progress is being made even if we aren't being informed of it at this time.

Hi again all, just checking in. Sad to know this has gone so quiet.
I wonder what kind of skills are taught to these officers, in fast track program especially. While Noor may have been book smart and intelligence, was he taught to handle stressful situations and did he have the right demeanor to handle a weapon??
Note the law as I understand it for police officers is that the use of deadly force is permitted if they believe they are in danger. This is why I think Castiles killer, Yanez, got off in court. Watch the videos, it is clear that Yanez was definitely freaked out.
But I heard a podcast that played a prior call of Yanez, before he shot Castile, a time when he discharged his weapon. The guy was panic breathing for something like 15 minutes after the incident. Really audible inhales/exhales. The obvious question is, was Yanez mentally fit to handle the stresses of police work? I wonder if there is a little of that at play with Noor. Was he able to remain calm in stressful situations? I wonder how they train cops in this particular area and if they get regular mental health evaluations - because no doubt police work is stressful and not everyone can handle that kind of stress day in and day out....
Anyway prayers for Justines family and friends and hoping progress is being made even if we aren't being informed of it at this time.
Do you have a link to the podcast? I'd be very interested in hearing it!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not sure how to link podcasts but it's by MPRnews and called :74 seconds. Check it out!!

I wish more people realized that.

Even though I am not a minority, I am acutely aware of that.
My 13 and 14 year old know how to react if I am pulled over to avoid alarming an officer.
i hate that they need to know that... but I felt it important.
Especially since one of them is usually in the front seat.

Even though I am not a minority, I am acutely aware of that.
My 13 and 14 year old know how to react if I am pulled over to avoid alarming an officer.
i hate that they need to know that... but I felt it important.
Especially since one of them is usually in the front seat.

I don't think you should say that you hate that you had to tell your kids how to act when pulled over by law enforcement. Its a conversation every parent should have with their kids. And honestly adults should have with each other. It doesnt matter if you are white or asian or black or hispanic, or if you think you deserved to be stopped or not. Just be calm, and respectful. Now, Philando Castille did those things and was still shot and that is inexcusable. But 99.9% of the time doing that will ensure everything goes smoothly. I remember when i was in high school and driver's education, there was a section that dealt with what to do when getting pulled over; how/where to park, what the officer would ask for (license, registration, insurance). It was very basic, but I'm not sure they even do that anymore.

What a tragedy. If only Justine had received the benefit of such careful deliberation before being murdered.

Boy Betty hit the mark with that statement..."end of the year"...sorry but that is really just a stall tactic to let the public cool down. They know right now what they are going to do and based on this long time strategy I have to conclude that nothing will be done to this guy. And remember both of them on "paid leave"...great use of our tax $$

they are claiming 4-6 months is normal for these cases...I guess they need that much time to put together all the excuses for not holding the officer accountable and enough time for officer to get moved out of town and on to another police job?

they are claiming 4-6 months is normal for these cases...I guess they need that much time to put together all the excuses for not holding the officer accountable and enough time for officer to get moved out of town and on to another police job?

Exactly. I'm sure if it was the other way around, and this had been a case of a deranged woman who called police and then ambushed them and killed them when they arrived. They would have waited six months to investigate it, before arresting her, NOT. If they didn't kill her on the spot they would have beaten the crap out of her before arresting her.

We have two totally different systems of justice in this country. One for cops, who virtually never get convicted of anything, no matter how much evidence there is against them. And the other for everyone else.

Four to six months for the investigation and charging decisions is an accurate estimate, based on 2 recent high profile officer involved shootings in the Twin Cities area:

Jamar Clark
Shot: November 15, 2015
Decision made not to bring charges: March 30, 2016
Time for investigation to decision: 4 1/2 months

Philando Castile
Shot: July 6, 2016
Charges brought by DA against officer: November 16, 2016
Trial began: May 29, 2017
Officer Acquitted: June 30, 2017
Time for investigation to charges: 4 1/2 months
Time from charges to end of trial: 7 1/2 months

Status