MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Justine Damond: Minnesota prosecutor apologises for criticising agents investigating case
ABC News [Australia]
UPDATED ABOUT 3 HOURS AGO [as at 16:30 AEDT 19 December 2017]

‘Hennepin County attorney Mike Freeman publicly apologised on Monday to the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.’

‘Mr Freeman said he believed it was his responsibility to talk to constituents, but he was wrong to discuss the agency's work.’

‘He also said he did not know he was being recorded, but his comments were ill advised.

Mr Freeman was captured on video expressing his frustration at a Minneapolis Regional Labor Federation holiday reception on Wednesday night, after he was asked about a charging decision.

Union member Sam Sanchez recorded the conversation and posted it on Facebook.’

‘Mr Freeman said he would share information next week on the status of his decision on whether to charge Mr Noor.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...tor-apologises-in-justine-damond-case/9270964

Justine Damond: Family hits out at US inquiry into Australian woman's police shooting death
ABC News
BY NADIA DALY
UPDATED ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO (as at 15:45 AEDT 21 December 2017)

‘The family of an Australian woman who was shot dead by a police officer in the United States earlier this year have questioned the integrity of the investigation into her death.’

‘Speaking in Sydney, her father John Ruszczyk questioned the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) probe into her death.

"We are deeply concerned that the initial investigation was not done properly and with the greatest of integrity and sense of completeness," he said.

Mr Ruszczyk said in the days after his daughter's death he spoke to BCA officials who "promised a complete and rigorous investigation of Justine's shooting".

"These officers spoke of their sympathy for our loss," he said.

"They also promised a complete and rigorous investigation of Justine's shooting.

"They assured us that they would give the County Attorney all the necessary information to make a reasoned decision on whether or not to charge Justine's shooter with a crime."‘

‘It is the first time the family has commented on the investigation, and comes after comments from Minnesota prosecutor Mike Freeman, who was also critical of the BCA probe.’

‘"At the least Mr Freeman's comments cast doubt on the description of how Justine's death occurred," Mr Ruszczyk said today.

He called for Mr Freeman to continue to pursue "a rigorous investigation and examination of evidence of the events leading to Justine's death" and to "fill in any gaps in the BCA's work".’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...-investigated-properly-say-her-family/9278928

And this is Justine's American father.

Have not checked in here lately...I last posted that I fully expected an announcement this week as Freeman is hoping people will be "distracted". Based on local articles and conversations I can say people are not "distracted" and very anxious for charges to be filed. Freeman is now backing down and saying he does not have enough information and that the investigation was inadequate etc. I see this as a lead up to not filing any charges as I don't think one can go back and do much to make it a "correct" investigation at this point. He will have to make some announcement this week as he repeatedly said he would decide before the end of the year. I think the family probably has a heads up that this is the way it is going and they are gearing up for the civil suit. Noor will never work in law enforcement again and probably will move out of the Minneapolis area unless further legal actions make that impossible. It is time to get him off the taxpayers $$ as he is on some sort of paid leave as I understand it. Anyone that has more concrete info it would be welcome. I for one local resident have little confidence any justice will be served here and it is very sad.

I wouldn't be so sure that Noor will never work in law enforcement again. In my opinion and based on personal research, I believe the opposite to be the norm. For a bad cop, reassignment to a new PD is like witness protection in reverse, their new community will have no idea of their professional record unless they screw up again.

I can't say I am surprised by the news that the investigation would continue into 2018. I considered commenting on Freeman's little outburst and some of the things he said, but I am refraining. I am certainly a bit concerned about how this is proceeding. I spoke with some in-laws that live up in Minnesota a couple weeks ago and they indicated that many people are pretty disgusted with all of this. We don't know what the BCA report have said, but on the public side of this, it sure seems like this couldn't have been handled any worse.

count me as a Minnesotan very disgusted. Yep right on schedule Freeman did make an announcement during holiday week to avoid the full wrath of the people concerned about this...but instead of just making the decision he kicked the can down the road to the new year. Had I been a reporter able to ask him questions I would ask what exactly he is expecting to come out that would make him change his mind at this point. Clearly he knows exactly what he will do. So the BCA did not handle it well...okay not the first time but what will happen now to change that??? The murder was in July!! We have a change in Mayor happening in a few days...would he prefer to have the new mayor deal with the fallout? Maybe. I expect no charges and above post 1205 is probably correct...he will work in law enforcement in another town. Let the civil suit begin but at the end of the day the family is not even close to justice.

I just can't imagine what additional evidence Freeman is expecting to get. Noor isn't talking, and thats not going to change. Its very common for a potential defendant to not talk, so I don't know why Freeman made such a big deal about that.

I think we all knew nothing would be done this year :( RIP Justine <3

As many of us said in the beginning.... the BCA weren't investigating Noor for murder. They were investigating Damond to try and find a reason that she deserved to be murdered.

I hope her family takes the State to the cleaners.

As many of us said in the beginning.... the BCA weren't investigating Noor for murder. They were investigating Damond to try and find a reason that she deserved to be murdered.

I hope her family takes the State to the cleaners.

That is exactly it and nothing about Justine is going to change either...personally I think it is political and waiting for the new mayor to start on Jan. 1. I don't think it will go too much longer.

Short of an all out confession from Noor who is not talking...what will move the dial to get justice given this kind of statement?
"Freeman said last week he did not have enough evidence to charge Noor" this phrase has been repeated many times in local media and frankly is the decision....are they running a "trial balloon" to see the reaction? or just paving the way...no matter how you look at it a big failure in justice.

Short of an all out confession from Noor who is not talking...what will move the dial to get justice given this kind of statement?
"Freeman said last week he did not have enough evidence to charge Noor" this phrase has been repeated many times in local media and frankly is the decision....are they running a "trial balloon" to see the reaction? or just paving the way...no matter how you look at it a big failure in justice.

I am just speculating, but I believe Freeman is under enormous political pressure to not charge Noor. Furthermore, some of his comments lead me to believe he is either not a very good prosecutor or is just intentionally dropping the ball here. So, what can be done to get justice? I think it would take a federal prosecution to do that. Justine's family/friends should begin talking to the Justice Department to see if they can get them on board.

Why do they need a confession? Is there any doubt that he shot her? If he is not talking, he has given no defence and should be charged. I really don't understand how you can kill someone and not be charged because you wont answer questions.

I wonder what type of more evidence is needed????? He killed an innocent unarmed woman who called 911 for help. I&#8217;m beginning to believe this is political. It&#8217;s so frustrating; I can only imagine what her family is feeling. I don't understand either how he is allowed to kill and nothing has happened to him. Is it because he's in LE. If a private citizen had shot Justine in that alley would he also be walking around free? RIP sweet Justine.

I agree grammieto5. This case is 1000% political.

If Justine had been a black woman, shot by a black officer, we likely would never have heard of her death circumstances, or her name. But if Noor had been a white officer, then we would have heard her name, and the allegations that a white officer was all too quick to murder a black woman-- and riots and marches would been immediately organized, businesses burned, city hall blockaded, etc. This case is ALL about race and ethnicity, and *all* of the social and political ramifications of race, religion, ethnicity, and immigrants. The optics couldn't be worse. Justice is definitely not blind anymore, IMO.

I am a little bit hopeful that the long period in a decision to bring charges is to demonstrate that there wasn't a "rush to justice" to charge Noor, because of his race, religion, ethnic background, and "fast tracked" training. He wasn't just "any" officer. Noor was lauded very publicly for being one of the first black immigrant Somali muslim officers in Minneapolis. Now the powers that be have to deal with the *very bad* optics of how this officer shot an unarmed white woman, also an immigrant, in her pajamas who called 911 for a suspected rape in progress-- and shot her thru the squad car drivers window over the lap and head of his partner. The optics and POLITICS don't get any worse than that, in our current social environment. So the DA *has* to take about a year (or more) to let things cool down and ebb, before he releases a decision, IMO.

He clearly WANTS (imo) to charge Noor, but because investigators did some things sloppy, he is in a bind.

If he charges him with sloppy evidence, he'll be accused of being prejudiced because Noor is black, Somali, muslim, and shot an unarmed innocent white woman in her pajamas for calling in a suspected rape in progress.

If he lets him off the hook with sloppy evidence, he'll be accused of being overly deferential to cops, and playing the liberal race/ ethnic issues.

Supporters of Justine Damond aren't likely to riot in the streets, blockade highways, burn cars and businesses, or throw rocks at police officers. They will cry and mourn, perhaps make some public statements, and learn to live with the injustice that has happened. They will likely, IMO, not promote activism about her murder as a racial injustice, or even police "brutality"-- and will almost certainly not frame her killing as an injustice because she is an immigrant.

But if Noor is indicted, racial extremists might just riot, march, burn, and do those all those things, including blockading city hall and police stations. Look at what happened with the Jamar Clark case in Minneapolis-- which was a pretty cut and dried case of a very violent criminal attacking his GF, ambulance workers, and police officers. No amount of hard evidence will ever be enough to persuade those who want to perceive Jamar Clark's killing as a racially motivated "police brutality" murder with a cover up.

Hennepin County D.A. Mike Freeman is in a no-win situation here with Justine Damond. Justice for Justine is pretty far down on the list of social/ political priorities, IMO. She's dead, but Noor is alive. I'd like to think he's taking a long, long time to build his case, as he did with Jamar Clark, but sadly I think Justine will be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness. "We just didn't have enough evidence to bring charges and win the case." Noor will never work as an officer again, though. He's done, IMO.

** Forgot to add, Mike Freeman is up for re election in 2018. So yeah, politics is a real problem for getting any real justice for Justine. He will be 70.

http://www.startribune.com/as-he-ge...reeman-confronts-the-racial-divide/418735853/

this is very cynical but I seriously doubt anything will be announced until well after super bowl...that is where the entire city's mind is and they want to project the best image possible..I think it will sit until that event is all wrapped up and all media gone...and then on a Friday night as quietly as possible Freeman will announce he does not have enough evidence. I have all but given up on justice for Justine and hope that the family really goes after him...interesting that Freeman is up for re election...if I could vote in Mpls (live in a suburb not city) I sure would vote him out fast.

Turaj, I think that could very well be what happens. The City will then probably offer some sort of settlement quietly. I am however unsure what will happen to Noor at that point. Fired? (For what cause?) Back to full duty? (That would be dangerous). Reassigned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam