MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

Noor took a human life --- for no reason---
for me it is simple- he needs to be punished as in go to prison
as far as i know he has never accepted responsibility for what he did
nor has he expressed remorse and none of us know if he is capable of violence
in the future--but we do know he committed violence when he murdered
this innocent woman

I agree that her life was ended tragically but Hannity his partner also had his gun drawn and told investigators he also feared for his life. I’m not an expert on police policy but I do believe police have the right to use force including lethal force in cases where they feel their life is in danger.
We can look after the fact and say yes it was crazy that an unarmed woman had to die but this case will hinge on the specific moment where she was shot and Noor had to make a split second decision.
Again I am so sad Damond was killed and I don’t think Noor had the right temperament or skillset but I don’t think him sitting for the rest of his life in jail at taxpayer expense is justice for Justine. Would rather see us focusing on hiring policies and police training.

Highlights from Day 1 (yesterday)-- half day session with 60 prospective jurors filling out questionnaires (see link below). All 60-75 to be questioned in open court, not individually.

Pros. Juror names to be kept confidential. Pros. Jurors admonished not to tell anyone, including family members, which case they are being considered for.

Day one held in smallest court room in Hennepin County Court, per Judge Q's request. Only 4 total seats for BOTH Damond and Noor families, and they were made to sit shoulder to shoulder. Media successfully petitioned for additional seats-- now 15 media seats (6 local, 9 national/ international). NO cell phones, laptops, cameras, video / audio devices allowed for media and viewers, and there is heavy security and searches. They can have paper/ pen only.

Complaints by media and activists that overflow room audio/ video inadequate, and space too small-- much smaller than the overflow space typically used in high profile trials. Initially, Judge Q was only going to allow audio in overflow room, but I think there is a video feed now. Per Judge Q, no evidence photos will be displayed to court observers or overflow-- only jurors.

I have heard there are *no seats* available for the general public in either the main court room or overflow. Members of the public are turned away. (No link for that.)

No court today-- resumes tomorrow. Trial expected to last 3-4 weeks. 16 jurors will be selected-- 12 with 4 alternates. Jurors will not know which ones are the alternates until deliberation time.

5 questions for Noor trial jury selection, defense strategy

Jury Questionnaire:
Noor trial jury questionnaire asks about police opinions, interactions with Somali-Americans

Former Minneapolis officer Mohamed Noor's trial opens Monday under intense scrutiny

How jurors will be picked in the Mohamed Noor trial

The Latest: Group calls for justice for Australian woman

Last edited:
I agree that her life was ended tragically but Hannity his partner also had his gun drawn and told investigators he also feared for his life. I’m not an expert on police policy but I do believe police have the right to use force including lethal force in cases where they feel their life is in danger.
We can look after the fact and say yes it was crazy that an unarmed woman had to die but this case will hinge on the specific moment where she was shot and Noor had to make a split second decision.
Again I am so sad Damond was killed and I don’t think Noor had the right temperament or skillset but I don’t think him sitting for the rest of his life in jail at taxpayer expense is justice for Justine. Would rather see us focusing on hiring policies and police training.

There can be appropriate punishment for the murder of this innocent women AND the police can focus on their hiring policies and police training. The issue will be if it was reasonable for Noor to have pulled the trigger and shot this woman dead given the circumstances of the moment. From what we know, I don't think Noor acted reasonably in this circumstance but we do not have all the information that no doubt will come out in trial. I think this officer had anger issues (by history): hopefully all the important facts will come out in this case.

There can be appropriate punishment for the murder of this innocent women AND the police can focus on their hiring policies and police training. The issue will be if it was reasonable for Noor to have pulled the trigger and shot this woman dead given the circumstances of the moment. From what we know, I don't think Noor acted reasonably in this circumstance but we do not have all the information that no doubt will come out in trial. I think this officer had anger issues (by history): hopefully all the important facts will come out in this case.

You are entitled to your own opinion, and I just am trying to understand your position, hoping we can have a civilized discussion.
Do you think his anger issues caused him to want to kill or hurt an innocent woman/ victim? Or how in your opinion did his anger issues result in JDs death? I am not being critical, this is a genuine question, I mean no disrespect.

You are entitled to your own opinion, and I just am trying to understand your position, hoping we can have a civilized discussion.
Do you think his anger issues caused him to want to kill or hurt an innocent woman/ victim? Or how in your opinion did his anger issues result in JDs death? I am not being critical, this is a genuine question, I mean no disrespect.

There were several issues that should have alerted supervision that Officer Noor was not appropriate for his position. The issue is that based on the political situation, of him being the "first" Somalian police officer.

Affirmative action hiring killed Justine.

There were several issues that should have alerted supervision that Officer Noor was not appropriate for his position. The issue is that based on the political situation, of him being the "first" Somalian police officer.

Affirmative action hiring killed Justine.
What issues? Yes I know he was fast-tracked, but what specifically indicated he was not appropriate?

Noor trial: Slow going with juror questioning

Jury selection resumed Wednesday morning after potential candidates were given a day to fill out their questionnaires, but it does not appear seating 16 people to decide the fate of former Minneapolis Police officer Mohamed Noor will be a quick process.

KARE 11's Lou Raguse was in the courtroom as the process resumed, and he says after the morning session no jurors have been selected, and only five have really been questioned.

Judge Quaintance dismissed six jurors "for cause" on Tuesday, based on answers they provided to a questionnaire.

The judge also heard arguments Wednesday about admitting a piece of evidence. The prosecution wants to use 3D renderings of the crime scene created by BCA investigators using a 3D scanner called a Leica P30.

Noor trial: Slow going with juror questioning

https://nypost.com/2019/04/03/6-potential-jurors-excused-in-ex-cops-murder-trial/

Attorneys argue over 'fly through' 3-D video at Noor's trial

What issues? Yes I know he was fast-tracked, but what specifically indicated he was not appropriate?

He had many issues with the more mundane aspects of work, enumerated in earlier threads-- most of which will be inadmissible at trial-- which I believe is a mis-ruling by judge Q. Difficulty multi-tasking, difficulty completing write ups of work related issues. He had no law enforcement volunteer work or education BEFORE being hired under this new diversity plan-- he was an apartment manager. As an example, Noor partner Harrity (driver) on paper was "less" experienced than Noor by date of hire-- but Harrity had several years experience as a Community Service Officer while Noor was an apartment manager.

The very long (months long!) interview process for potential recruits in MN typically weeds out candidates with very basic work-performance related issues. There is a level of resentment (among those in the LE industry) about the roll out of the "diversity" hiring process and how that was publicized and sold to the public. There is not a shortage of applicants for jobs-- as an example, there are currently over 300 applicants for 3 positions near St. Cloud. The issue is not that there are so many unqualified applicants that we need a new program to find LEOs-- the issue is that the PTB want a certain racial/ ethnic/ gender mix among their officers. They have decided that "diversity" is more important than competence, IMO. They will close a posted position (suspend the hiring process) if they don't get enough "diversity" in the pool. No link for these statements-- personal knowledge, take it or leave it. Noor would have been fine gaining experience in a small suburb, or small county. He was in way over his head in MPLS, in my opinion.

One of the biggest "tells" in this case is that not a SINGLE officer in the MPD has supported Noor publicly. Not a single one has simply said "he's a strong, dedicated officer, and he's a good friend", or "I enjoy talking with him, and having coffee".

There is zero support for Noor among his co-workers. That is hugely strange-- LE usually is heavily supportive of each other. The union boss, usually very assertively pro-LE supportive in the media.......is silent. Make of it what you will-- Noor has little to no visible support among his own co-workers. Contrast that to other officer-involved shooting prosecutions, such as Jeronimo Yanez in St. Paul, MN.

I've thought and thought and can not come up with any reason that justifies not allowing the body cam video to be shown in a murder case. This decision is just totally unacceptable and IMO shows a deliberate intention to suppress valuable evidence to prove the case. What in the world was this judge thinking?

Jury selection was not finished in the trial's first week, so opening arguments will not be Monday morning.

Frustrations mounted during group questioning Friday morning when two of the prospective jurors said they felt the length of the trial would be too much. One of the two women was a University of Minnesota student worried about destroying her semester if she served on the jury in such a lengthy trial.

After dismissing the two women, the judge called in two additional jurors to fill their slots. The jury pool now consists of 17 men and seven women, with approximately six minority members, including an Ethiopian immigrant who moved to the United States when his family.

Attorneys are hoping to get down to 16 people—12 jurors and 4 alternates—by Monday afternoon.

Jury selection for Mohamed Noor trial will extend into second week

And it is still not settled as to who can see the trial evidence.

Attorneys for a former Minneapolis police officer accused of fatally shooting an unarmed woman joined the media’s challenge Friday to a judge’s restrictions on what video evidence may be seen by the public during the trial.

Mohamed Noor defense joins media challenge to judge’s restriction on video evidence – Twin Cities

The video could be pivotal to the case, Quaintance said, and it shows officers' reactions and Ruszczyk's bare breast exposed because responders had to remove some clothing to administer CPR.

Judge argues only jurors should see graphic video of Ruszczyk's death

I wonder what Justine's family thinks about showing, or not showing the body cam video. Death is an ugly thing, often, and sanitizing and romanticizing it hides the truth, IMO. But I understand my view is different because I'm a health care professional. If Justine were my sister, I'd want the video shown to show the visual truth of her last moments. I guess I can see that others might want that shielded purportedly because it's emotionally upsetting to view such things. Or they might think it's prejudicial to the defendant, because it's a woman dying. But showing this in open criminal court is not gratuitous or prejudicial, IMO. Since so much is riding on this criminal trial, I think it should be shown in open court. The family and observers could be given the option to leave the courtroom before the evidence is shown.

What do others following this trial think? Show the evidence video in court, or not? I'm curious.

Last edited:
@K_Z I think any, and ALL evidence needs to be on the table for this trial. Otherwise, it smacks of coverup for Minneapolis. Let the chips fall where they may. And have no secrets, no hidden evidence.

The only possible justification for not showing all evidence connected with Justine's death is to make it easier for Noor to avoid conviction.

Noor has already asked for a complete dismissal. And the end goal, if he is not convicted of murder, is to get hired back by Minneapolis PD. Does anyone really want that to happen?! He has appealed his dismissal from the Minneapolis PD.

The civil lawsuit against the city is pending after the criminal trial. Noor stated he would take the 5th for every question.

Last edited:
Linking this because I think it's an interesting first person account from an attorney who was actually in court this week during the jury selection and other proceedings. He got the last public seat, and the NYT seat was empty-- so he has petitioned for the seat!

Ten observations:

At the Noor trial

More highlights from Friday, April 5.

Tensions rise again over questioning of potential jurors in Noor trial

Attorneys clashed Friday in the murder trial of former Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor when a prosecutor took issue with what she described as the defense planting “breadcrumbs” during jury selection to bolster its case.

Defense attorney admonished by Judge KQ:

But he remained defiant, a tone that has colored the last several days of jury selection; on two prior consecutive days Plunkett has raised the prospect of filing for a mistrial because of the prosecution’s objections to questions he asked prospective jurors.

3D Reconstruction (Prosecution) denied

The judge on Friday also denied the prosecution’s request to admit two 3-D reconstruction “fly-through” videos of the crime scene. No stills from the videos, created via computer software and laser scans of the scene, can be admitted, although prosecutors can use data from the scans to establish measurements between objects, Quaintance ruled.

Jury selection is complete this morning. Opening arguments begin tomorrow.

After one week, attorneys in the case completed selection at 11 a.m. Monday. The jury consists of 12 men and four women. Six are people of color, four of them immigrants. One woman immigrated from Pakistan, one man immigrated from Ethiopia and two men moved to the United States from the Philippines. Four of the jurors are alternates.

Brief description of the jurors:

• A male overnight manager at a high-end grocery store.

• A male civil engineer who works on track designs for light rails, streetcars and freight trains. He said he only knew “the basics” of the case from TV news.

• A man who works as a carpenter and writes about his life and other topics.

• A female obstetrician-gynecologist who described herself as a person of color, and who said she has been second-guessed as a doctor and mistaken as a nurse or lab technician because of other people’s implicit bias. “Oh, it’s this case,” she said of her first reaction to arriving in court last week for jury duty.

• A man who immigrated from the Philippines with his family. He works as a host at a restaurant.

• A man who moved to the United States from Ethiopia. He works in the medical field. “I didn’t think much of anything,” he said of his reaction to arriving to court last week for jury selection and seeing Noor.

• A man who had once served on a jury in a civil trial.

• A male software developer who was brought in Friday to replace a female college student. He said he recognized Noor’s name but hadn’t heard about the case.

• A male Minneapolis firefighter. He said he knew three first responders on the prosecution’s witness list through his work.

• A man who immigrated from the Philippines as a child and works as an immigration services officer for the Department of Homeland Security.

• A man who works in the financial investment industry.

• A man who previously served in the U.S. Navy “hunting submarines” from helicopters. He has a permit to carry.

• A woman with experience as a business analyst and is looking for work. She was brought in Friday afternoon to replace someone who was dismissed. She grew emotional and rocked back and forth in her chair Friday when asked how she would handle graphic video of Damond dying at the scene. “Just the weight of it all,” she said, wiping away a tear with her hand. “It’s just very tragic — sorry.” The judge asked her to consider whether she could handle such evidence were she selected as a juror.

• A man who leads groups for people working on mental health issues and substance abuse recovery.

• A woman who immigrated from Pakistan several years ago and said she had “never heard” of the Noor case.

• A woman who is retired from Wells Fargo.

Jury seated in Noor trial, opening arguments to begin Tuesday

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase