MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #3

Minneapolis police chief Medaria Arradondo:

Arradondo also told prosecutors at Noor's trial there were no concerns that night about Noor and his partner, officer Matthew Harrity, driving into a potential ambush in Ruszczyk's Fulton neighborhood alley.

Noor trial: Chief says no talk of thump on squad after Ruszczyk...
Pfft. He is a political appointment so I take whatever he says with a grain of salt. It was a juror who said he believes there was a thump on the car.

I highly doubt Justine hit the police car.

If you knew Aussies, that is not something we would do. We might call out "Excuse me" "Hello" ... something like that, if we needed to attract attention. We would not hit the car.
In addition, Justine came from a very 'nice' area of her state. Would have been brought up the 'right way'. To be polite, respectful and helpful to the police. imo

But Justine didn't call out. If she had done so, I think the outcome would be vastly different. Most Americans living in urban areas also don't leave their house in their p.j.'s and head to the alley for any reason. Gates are locked for good reason. Crime happens in alleys and the opposite side of the alley where this took place was lined with businesses on a busy street.

JMO

But Justine didn't call out. If she had done so, I think the outcome would be vastly different. Most Americans living in urban areas also don't leave their house in their p.j.'s and head to the alley for any reason. Gates are locked for good reason. Crime happens in alleys and the opposite side of the alley where this took place was lined with businesses on a busy street.

JMO

I think you are forgetting that Ms. Damond was from Australia and I think she did not have the same level of fear she would have if she had been born here--- the fact that she went outside in the alley in her PJ's tells me she was not afraid- and certainly she was not afraid when she approached the police vehicle; she saw the police as coming to help her since she had called them.

I think you are forgetting that Ms. Damond was from Australia and I think she did not have the same level of fear she would have if she had been born here--- the fact that she went outside in the alley in her PJ's tells me she was not afraid- and certainly she was not afraid when she approached the police vehicle; she saw the police as coming to help her since she had called them.
It is truly unfortunate JD wasn't warned to stay inside where she was safe. Police weren't there to help her, they were there to investigate the noises and possible assault in an alley which she reported to 911.

My DIL is from Sidney and is 36 years old. No way would she enter the alley behind their Chicago flat at night alone. The gate to the alley even has a lock on it.

It's also unfortunate that the timing made LE on high alert for possible ambushes like the one that took the life of the NYC officer a week earlier. I guess the jury decided to totally ignore all the testimony from police officers and go with emotional bias.

JMO

Lt. Daniel May, who was then the supervisor in charge of the Fifth Precinct midwatch shift, told the court that ambushes on police were a “frequent” topic of conversation at roll call, the start of a shift where officers are debriefed on relevant issues......

......May cited the 2016 ambush in Dallas that killed five officers and wounded nine others, and a July 5, 2017 fatal shooting of a New York City officer as cases that had impacted the precinct’s thinking about officer safety.

He also referenced a 2016 mandate issued by Minneapolis police leaders ordering officers to work in pairs after six Baton Rouge, La. police officers were shot, three of them fatally.

May testified that superiors addressed the issue with officers at roll call.

He also spoke with officers about the 1992 killing of Minneapolis officer Jerry Haaf “to hammer home that it’s already happened here and it could happen again.”

May said he went so far as to encourage officers under his watch to take their breaks and eat their meals at the precinct office instead of out in the field.

Noor trial: Supervisor testifies fear of ambush was on officers' minds

Last edited:
One juror said he thought there was probably a thump on the car. What did the other 11 say?
afaik, they haven't said anything. The one juror chose to go directly to the media. His bias was more than obvious to me.

JMO

One juror said he thought there was probably a thump on the car. What did the other 11 say?

Can't imagine why the juror formed his "probably" opinion.
Even a police officer at the scene said the 'slap' was only speculation.

One police investigator, Christopher Olson, told the court he was initially briefed at the site shortly after the shooting and said no one mentioned a noise on the squad car to him at that time. A policewoman at the scene, Shannon Barnett, said she had mentioned a possible “slap” to others at the scene but admitted it was only speculation about what might have spooked Noor and Harrity.

Sweasy called the claim about the noise “a theory that took on a life of its own”.
NoCookies | The Australian

Last edited:
My DIL is from Sidney and is 36 years old. No way would she enter the alley behind their Chicago flat at night alone. The gate to the alley even has a lock on it.

There are many, many Australians who will intervene if they feel they can stop violence, no matter what country they are in.
I have personal knowledge of an Aussie girl - in her early 20s - who intervened in a late-night rape in the US, scared the rapist away by going out there yelling and making great noise, then took the victim into her own home until the police appeared. (Turns out it was an attempted date rape.)

Yes, the girl could have been hurt or even killed. Fortunately, she wasn't. But she couldn't live with herself if she let the violence continue.
We just have not been conditioned with the same level of fear, and we have been conditioned to help the victim ... personally if we have to. We just don't expect to get killed by the police.

Last edited:
It is truly unfortunate JD wasn't warned to stay inside where she was safe. Police weren't there to help her, they were there to investigate the noises and possible assault in an alley which she reported to 911.

It's also unfortunate that the timing made LE on high alert for possible ambushes like the one that took the life of the NYC officer a week earlier. I guess the jury decided to totally ignore all the testimony from police officers and go with emotional bias.

JMO

Lt. Daniel May, who was then the supervisor in charge of the Fifth Precinct midwatch shift, told the court that ambushes on police were a “frequent” topic of conversation at roll call, the start of a shift where officers are debriefed on relevant issues......

......May cited the 2016 ambush in Dallas that killed five officers and wounded nine others, and a July 5, 2017 fatal shooting of a New York City officer as cases that had impacted the precinct’s thinking about officer safety.

He also referenced a 2016 mandate issued by Minneapolis police leaders ordering officers to work in pairs after six Baton Rouge, La. police officers were shot, three of them fatally.

May testified that superiors addressed the issue with officers at roll call.

He also spoke with officers about the 1992 killing of Minneapolis officer Jerry Haaf “to hammer home that it’s already happened here and it could happen again.”

May said he went so far as to encourage officers under his watch to take their breaks and eat their meals at the precinct office instead of out in the field.

Noor trial: Supervisor testifies fear of ambush was on officers' minds

IMO this was the correct verdict.

I mention this, because we never really got to know who Justine was ......

By all accounts, Justine was a beautiful, kind woman. A do-good type of person.

At her memorial service in Minneapolis, accompanied by the haunting sound of a didgeridoo, Damond played a video of Ruszczyk rescuing a group of baby ducklings from a storm drain.
The video, released after her death, went viral and was typical, say her friends, of the good in her heart and her lifelong fondness for animals.
NoCookies | The Australian

Baby duck video at this link, if anyone is interested ..
Exclusive video: Justine Damond saving ducklings weeks before shooting death

Last edited:
There are many, many Australians who will intervene if they feel they can stop violence, no matter what country they are in.
I have personal knowledge of an Aussie girl - in her early 20s - who intervened in a late-night rape in the US, scared the rapist away by going out there yelling and making great noise, then took the victim into her own home until the police appeared. (Turns out it was an attempted date rape.)

Yes, the girl could have been hurt or even killed. Fortunately, she wasn't. But she couldn't live with herself if she let the violence continue.
We just have not been conditioned with the same level of fear, and we have been conditioned to help the victim ... personally if we have to. We just don't expect to get killed by the police.

Sorry to quote my own post ... but I just wanted to mention also, the victim in the above scenario was a US woman of colour, and the perpetrator was a US man of colour. The intervener was a white Australian. Race and colour make no difference to (most of) us.

Likely why our articles about this tragedy do not mention Noor's Somali heritage. imo

Last edited:
31D8A696-8AB4-4FCE-82CD-221FEE1A993E.jpeg

Justine had trained as a vet before her love of yoga and meditation overtook her career and she moved to the US Midwest to be with her fiance.

Justine Ruszczyk Damond, 40, graduated from the University of Sydney as a veterinarian surgeon before travelling the world in her 20s and going on to study yoga and meditation for 17 years.

She graduated from Manly High School in 1995, ranking on the Order of Merit list.
Shes worked as a meditation teacher with special interests in quantum physics and the teachings of American guru Dr Joe Dispenza.

“Arriving in the state and I realised I’d lived a very sheltered and beautiful life in Sydney and I knew that there were things going on with the planet,” she said

Ms Ruszczyk Damond embraced Dr Dispenza’s teachings after an “out of body experience” on New Year’s Day, 2006, following a bleak six months in which she contemplated suicide.
Spiritual journey ends in bloody nightmare

Oh my I didn’t realise Justine had been shot 2-3 times!

Inside Edition. Listen to police dispatcher call.

Ohhhhh ..... me either!
And by the sketch in this re-creation, it looks like you were correct. Justine was not standing right next to the police vehicle. Not close enough to slap or thump on the car. Not that I could believe that she slapped or thumped on it anyway.

Ohhhhh ..... me either!
And by the sketch in this re-creation, it looks like you were correct. Justine was not standing right next to the police vehicle. Not close enough to slap or thump on the car. Not that I could believe that she slapped or thumped on it anyway.

I’m trying to find the autopsy report before I believe that Noor shot 2-3 times.

Does anyone know what’s the truth? Autopsy?

Last edited:
THE fatal bullet is the one which killed her but it doesn’t say IF there were others that weren’t fatal.

The medical examiner who conducted Ruszczyk's autopsy testified that the fatal bullet went through her stomach, small intestines, cut through the iliac artery and stopped at the vertebrae.

He said he found 1.6 litres of blood in Damond's abdominal cavity, a significant amount for a woman who was only 170 centimetres tall.

The internal bleeding was so significant that not even quick medical intervention would have been likely to save her, the medical examiner said.
Graphic images in trial over the shooting of Australian Justine Damond upsets family

I’m trying to find the autopsy report before I believe that Noor shot 2-3 times.

Well, there's this:
On Monday, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner ruled the death as homicide, stating that Damond died of a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Police Officer Who Fatally Shot Justine Damond Refusing To Be Interviewed

But I don't think it can be ruled out that she was shot, or shot at, more than once. The ME states that the single GSW to her abdomen was the cause of her death, but he doesn't say she didn't have other GSWs somewhere else that were non fatal.

I found an article that says the autopsy report had not been released. But it does state that Justine was shot more than once.

Damond, dressed in her pyjamas, reportedly approached the driver’s side window of the police car when it arrived in the alley and an officer shot across his partner at Damond more than once from the passenger seat.

The Hennepin county Medical Examiner’s Office has conducted an autopsy on Damond but the results have not been released.
Justine Damond shooting: Australian woman's last moments heard over US police radio

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009
Back