Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

I don't know how it is in other States and Counties, but here it is becoming a real problem with Public Defenders. There just are not enough of them to handle the caseloads. Much of it has to do with State Budget cutbacks. Which is ironic because they are holding defendants (many of them) in the County Jails waiting for trials, which is costly. Death Penalty cases here are being scheduled three years out. SERIOUSLY. The Courts require a DP qualified Attorney panel defend a defendant at trial. There are so many that those Attorneys are scheduled that far out.

JMO

Thursday, March 21st:
*Bond Hearing – (@ 9am CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. Plead not guilty. No bond. Cole County
Arraignment hearing on 11/8/18. Def. asks for public defender, did not enter plea. Judge set bond hearing. Complaint read to defendant. Public Defender appointed to represent defendant. Continued to jail docket to set Preliminary hearing on 11/15. 11/13/18: Order for fingerprints for Givens. Motion filed for caseload conference. 11/15/18: Hearing rescheduled for 11/29. 11/29/18: Hearing moved to 1/23/19. 12/28/18: Filed Motion for Change of Venue (out of Cole County) & change of Judge. Arraignment hearing on 1/15.
1/15/19 Update: Plead not guilty; waived prelim hearing. Defense files motion for change of venue. Next Motions hearing on venue issue on 2/26.

1/29/19 Judgment Entered: Administrative order certified to the Circuit Court by the Department of Social Services, Family Support Division. Child Support in the amount of $122.00 per month beginning 15-FEB-2019 is hereby entered against the Respondent. Family Support Division may send an immediate income withholding for payment of such support. Payments are to be made to the Family Support Payment Center. Respondent is also to maintain health benefits for the child(ren).
2/26/19 Update: Jurors will be drawn from Johnson County, but trial will stay in Cole County. Next bond hearing on 3/5.
3/5/19 Update: Defense requests more time for preparation for bond hearing – rescheduled for 3/21. Media approval moves to this date also.

Thursday, March 21st:
*Bond Hearing – (@ 9am CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. Plead not guilty. No bond. Cole County
Arraignment hearing on 11/8/18. Def. asks for public defender, did not enter plea. Judge set bond hearing. Complaint read to defendant. Public Defender appointed to represent defendant. Continued to jail docket to set Preliminary hearing on 11/15. 11/13/18: Order for fingerprints for Givens. Motion filed for caseload conference. 11/15/18: Hearing rescheduled for 11/29. 11/29/18: Hearing moved to 1/23/19. 12/28/18: Filed Motion for Change of Venue (out of Cole County) & change of Judge. Arraignment hearing on 1/15.
1/15/19 Update: Plead not guilty; waived prelim hearing. Defense files motion for change of venue. Next Motions hearing on venue issue on 2/26.

1/29/19 Judgment Entered: Administrative order certified to the Circuit Court by the Department of Social Services, Family Support Division. Child Support in the amount of $122.00 per month beginning 15-FEB-2019 is hereby entered against the Respondent. Family Support Division may send an immediate income withholding for payment of such support. Payments are to be made to the Family Support Payment Center. Respondent is also to maintain health benefits for the child(ren).
2/26/19 Update: Jurors will be drawn from Johnson County, but trial will stay in Cole County. Next bond hearing on 3/5.
3/5/19 Update: Defense requests more time for preparation for bond hearing – rescheduled for 3/21. Media approval moves to this date also.
Please let there be NO BOND FOR QLG, she doesn't deserve to be walking around among us!

Bond granted in Darnell Gray death case

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The woman accused in the death of a Jefferson City 4-year-old was given a $100,000 cash-only bond Thursday.

"I'm making this a cash only bond," Judge Jon Beetem said Thursday. "I should note that if you are able to make that bond, then you lose your public defender because you would be found to not qualify for their services."

A status hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 14.

I don't know if it is a State or Federal directive, but Judges have been directed to return to using bond as an assurance that a defendant will appear at their Court appearances and not as some sort of penalty as to the accused crime.

JMO

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The woman accused in the death of a Jefferson City 4-year-old was given a $100,000 cash-only bond Thursday.

"I'm making this a cash only bond," Judge Jon Beetem said Thursday. "I should note that if you are able to make that bond, then you lose your public defender because you would be found to not qualify for their services."

A status hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 14.

I don't know if it is a State or Federal directive, but Judges have been directed to return to using bond as an assurance that a defendant will appear at their Court appearances and not as some sort of penalty as to the accused crime.

JMO
I'm not surprised, but I am disgusted. Hopefully, this defendant will not be able to come up with the bond money. Is this where she would be able to use a bail bondsman and only have to come up with 10%?

I believe this whole "bond hearing" motion has been just kicking an empty can down the road. Many of these motions and activities are on the checklist so that in the event of conviction a future defense attorney cannot claim ineffective counsel. Just as the Judge says, if she can afford bondsman she can afford her own attorney. I don't see that happening, in either case. I mean SERIOUSLY a defense attorney asking for additional time to prepare for a bond hearing. This woman flat out told LE she was preparing to leave and go to Florida when she was arrested.
No bondsman is going to touch her case for any amount or %. Also Judge says "CASH ONLY"

JMO

Last edited:
I will be surprised if she actually goes to trial. They are looking for a plea deal, I believe.

03/22/2019
Plea/Trial Setting Scheduled
Associated Entries: 03/21/2019 - Bond Appearance Hearing Held
tree-collapse_button.jpg

Scheduled For: 05/14/2019; 1:30 PM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

I will be surprised if she actually goes to trial. They are looking for a plea deal, I believe.

03/22/2019
Plea/Trial Setting Scheduled
Associated Entries: 03/21/2019 - Bond Appearance Hearing Held
tree-collapse_button.jpg

Scheduled For: 05/14/2019; 1:30 PM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
You are probably 100% correct. I wonder what kind of 'plea' they would offer in this case? Oh it makes me furious, but it sounds like the system and courts are completely overloaded.

Surely there will be justice for little Darnell?????

Tuesday, May 14th:
*Status Hearing – (@ 9am CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. Plead not guilty. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond.
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 2/26/19 reference post #82 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2
3/21/19 Update: Judge Jon Beetem grants $100K cash ONLY bond. "I'm making this a cash only bond," the Judge said Thursday. "I should note that if you are able to make that bond, then you lose your public defender because you would be found to not qualify for their services." A status hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 14.

Hearing rescheduled for woman accused of killing Darnell Gray

Givens, who was scheduled to appear at the hearing by video call, declined to show, so the judge postponed things until Sept. 10.

Lawyers for both the defense and prosecution said they had more evidence to look into and agreed with postponing the trial. The status hearing will set a date for Givens' trial.

Mueller said Darnell's supporters "were there from the beginning and we'll be there until the end."

Hearing rescheduled for woman accused of killing Darnell Gray

I believe one of the reasons for agreed upon delays may have to do with toxicology definitive reports. It can and does take months for finalized toxicology reports to come back. and be cross checked by Defense lawyers. It has been rumored that he may have been given an overdose of oxycodone (type) medication by accident for the pain and soreness from the physical injuries he had received. Accusations were made to a reporter by someone close to family but unsubstantiated at this point.

JMO

I believe one of the reasons for agreed upon delays may have to do with toxicology definitive reports. It can and does take months for finalized toxicology reports to come back. and be cross checked by Defense lawyers. It has been rumored that he may have been given an overdose of oxycodone (type) medication by accident for the pain and soreness from the physical injuries he had received. Accusations were made to a reporter by someone close to family but unsubstantiated at this point.

JMO
The thought of this sweet boy being so physically harmed he would be in that type of pain just breaks my heart. These cases of precious children being killed by their caregivers are beyond comprehension. :(

Tuesday, September 10th:
*Status Hearing – (@ 9am CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. Plead not guilty. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond.
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 2/26/19 reference post #82 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

3/21/19 Update: Judge Jon Beetem grants $100K cash ONLY bond. "I'm making this a cash only bond," the Judge said Thursday. "I should note that if you are able to make that bond, then you lose your public defender because you would be found to not qualify for their services." A status hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 14.
5/14/19 Update: Hearing needed to be rescheduled, as Givens declined to show for video conference. Rescheduled for 9/10, where her trial date will be set.

The court hearing was slotted for a plea/trial setting, but ended up being a hearing about a bond reduction filed by Givens' public defender, Taylor Elswick. At Givens' court date in March, Judge Jon Beetem set her at bond $100,000 cash-only. Elswick on Tuesday said Givens wouldn't be a flight risk and has no prior criminal history. Givens has been in the Cole County Jail since last October.

Judge Beetem didn't make a decision on Tuesday for a bond reduction.

Woman charged in death of Darnell Gray remains in jail on $100,000 cash-only bond

18AC-CR02829-01 - ST V QUATAVIA LAQWOUN GIVENS (E-CASE)

09/10/2019 Plea/Trial Setting Held
State by APA Fox. Defendant in person and by Attorney Elswick. Motion presented to Court and taken under advisement. PTS requested to assess home plan. /s/JEB/dj
Scheduled For: 09/10/2019; 1:00 PM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit

09/03/2019 Motion for Bond Reduction
Motion for ROR and Notice; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service. Forwarded to Div I queue for Judge's review. sis
Filed By: TAYLOR SUZANNE ELSWICK
On Behalf Of: QUATAVIA LAQWOUN GIVENS

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/cases/searchDockets.do

@Niner

This information doesn't make any sense. There are no scheduled hearings or trials.

Thanks for that Jewels - unfortunately I can't access the court site. I rely on @jggordo for info on this case. Maybe she/he can find something! :)

and thank you Amonet for that article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back