Found Deceased MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

Thanks for that Jewels - unfortunately I can't access the court site. I rely on @jggordo for info on this case. Maybe she/he can find something! :)

and thank you Amonet for that article.
That is directly from the court site and there is nothing further.

I found this article.

JEFFERSON CITY — The former caregiver charged in the death of 4-year-old Darnell Gray made a second in person court appearance on Tuesday.

Quatavia Givens has been charged with first-degree child abuse or neglect resulting in the disappearance and death of Darnell Gray.

The court hearing was slotted for a plea/trial setting, but ended up being a hearing about a bond reduction filed by Givens' public defender, Taylor Elswick. At Givens' court date in March, Judge Jon Beetem set her at bond $100,000 cash-only. Elswick on Tuesday said Givens wouldn't be a flight risk and has no prior criminal history. Givens has been in the Cole County Jail since last October.

Woman charged in death of Darnell Gray remains in jail on $100,000 cash-only bond

She was planning to go to Fla. when she was arrested. There was a gathering in Jeff City and Darnell was represented even though he had no Family there.

"Mary Williams-Coley, a member of Missouri Missing, represented 4-year-old Darnell Gray at the event. Gray was found dead in October 2018. His caregiver, Quantavia Givens, is charged with neglect or abuse that resulted in his death. Williams-Coley said she represents Gray at all types of events now, including court hearings."

Community hosts picnic to honor missing, killed loved ones

Still trying to catch my breath:

"Cole County Circuit Court Judge Jon Beetem granted the release of Quatavia Givens with specific conditions. According to the order, Givens must post a $5,000 cash or surety bond and keep a GPS monitor on her until further notice. "

"Thompson also said Givens was trying to get to Florida when she was arrested and has resisted coming out of her cell for hearings. Investigators also say she reported Darnell Gray missing despite knowing he was dead."

Cole County judge grants release of woman accused in child death

Beetem released Givens on the following conditions:

• She post a $5,000 bond
  • She submit to GPS monitoring until further order of the court
  • She contact the court weekly
  • She stay at the address listed with the court's Pre-Trial Services Office, traveling only to and from court with approval
  • She is to return to court for all appearances unless excused
  • She pay for any private supervision services which may be required
  • She may not be in the presence of minor children who aren't her own, and any in-person contact with her own child under supervision of the child's legal guardian
  • She has no contact with the victim's family
Givens' next court hearing is set for October 29.

Jefferson City woman allowed out of jail ahead of child abuse trial

Beetem released Givens on the following conditions:

• She post a $5,000 bond
  • She submit to GPS monitoring until further order of the court
  • She contact the court weekly
  • She stay at the address listed with the court's Pre-Trial Services Office, traveling only to and from court with approval
  • She is to return to court for all appearances unless excused
  • She pay for any private supervision services which may be required
  • She may not be in the presence of minor children who aren't her own, and any in-person contact with her own child under supervision of the child's legal guardian
  • She has no contact with the victim's family
Givens' next court hearing is set for October 29.

Jefferson City woman allowed out of jail ahead of child abuse trial
This makes me sick to my stomach! How is this woman allowed to post this ridiculously low bond and sit on her duff as a free woman when poor little Darnell is no longer alive because of her actions????? :mad::mad:

So assuming she had a surety bond, that means she paid 10% or $500 dollars.

Just to give some perspective on how incredibly low that is, here is a comparison:

In Missouri, if you are speeding 20-25 miles over the posted speed limit in a construction zone with workers present, but no accidents or injuries occur, the amount you are fined/ticketed is $474 dollars.
https://www.courts.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=2647

For $26 more, you can murder someone else's kid and have some freedom before your trial. :mad:o_O

Tuesday, October 29th:
*Status Hearing – (@ 9am CT) - MO – Darnell S. Gray (4) (missing Oct. 25, 2018, Jefferson City, found Oct. 30, 2018) – *Quatavia Lwoun Givens (26) (ex-gf of father) arrested & charged (10/31/18) & arraigned (11/8/18) with 1st degree child abuse resulting in death. Indicted (12/18/18) with felony abuse or neglect of a child. Plead not guilty. No bond changed (3/21/19) to $100K Cash ONLY bond. Bond reduced (9/30/19) to $5000 Cash or Surety Bond. Out on bond.
Court hearings from 11/8/18 thru 2/26/19 reference post #82 here:
Found Deceased - MO - Darnell Gray, 4, Jefferson City, 24 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #2

3/5/19 Update: Defense requests more time for preparation for bond hearing – rescheduled for 3/21. Media approval moves to this date also.
3/21/19 Update: Judge Jon Beetem grants $100K cash ONLY bond. "I'm making this a cash only bond," the Judge said Thursday. "I should note that if you are able to make that bond, then you lose your public defender because you would be found to not qualify for their services." A status hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 14.
5/14/19 Update: Hearing needed to be rescheduled, as Givens declined to show for video conference. Rescheduled for 9/10, where her trial date will be set.
9/10/19 Update: The court hearing was slotted for a plea/trial setting, but ended up being a hearing about a bond reduction filed by Givens' public defender. At Givens' court date in March, Judge Jon Beetem set her at bond $100K cash-only. Elswick on Tuesday said Givens wouldn't be a flight risk & has no prior criminal history. Prosecutor Locke Thompson argued that at the time at Givens' said she was going to Florida, Thompson said she deceived the community about what was going on during the search for Darnell. He also said Givens has refused multiple court appearances. Judge Beetem didn't make a decision on Tuesday for a bond reduction. No hearing date as of 9/13.
9/30/19 Update: Cole County Circuit Court Judge Jon Beetem granted the release of Quatavia Givens with specific conditions. According to the order, Givens must post a $5,000 cash or surety bond and keep a GPS monitor on her until further notice. Plus these conditions: She contact the court weekly. She stay at the address listed with the court's Pre-Trial Services Office, traveling only to and from court with approval. She is to return to court for all appearances unless excused. She pay for any private supervision services which may be required. She may not be in the presence of minor children who aren't her own, and any in-person contact with her own child under supervision of the child's legal guardian. She has no contact with the victim's family. Next hearing on 10/29.

I have been waiting for this:

BREAKING: Caregiver in Darnell Gray case now charged with murder

JEFFERSON CITY - Prosecutors updated the charges Friday against Quatavia Givens to involve second-degree murder. Givens next court date is scheduled for June 29, 2020 with the new trial starting July 13. According to court records, the trial is scheduled to last seven days.

BREAKING: Caregiver in Darnell Gray case now charged with murder

From the same article above.

"As of Tuesday night, Givens was not in custody and out on bond, according to the Cole County Jail."

So will she remain out of jail until the next court date in June 2020? I sure as heck hope not!

Jmo

@Niner

18AC-CR02829-01 - ST V QUATAVIA LAQWOUN GIVENS

10/23/2019 Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 07/17/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 07/16/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 07/15/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 07/14/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
Jury Trial Scheduled
Scheduled For: 07/13/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
Pre-trial Conference Scheduled
Associated Entries: 10/21/2019 - Order
tree-collapse_button.jpg

Scheduled For: 06/29/2020; 9:00 AM ; JON EDWARD BEETEM; Cole Circuit
_________

10/29/2019 Superceding Indictment Filed
Superceding Indictment Filed. ec.
Filed By: WILLIAM LOCKE THOMPSON
_________

Thank you for the updates jggordo & Jewels!!

2nd degree murder - about time! Unfortunately we have to wait over 1/2 a year for Darnell to get justice....

From the same article above.

"As of Tuesday night, Givens was not in custody and out on bond, according to the Cole County Jail."

So will she remain out of jail until the next court date in June 2020? I sure as heck hope not!

Jmo
Yes, unfortunately I think she will be out on bond until then. How sad is that? She's out enjoying life and poor little Darnell has been dead a year now. :(

Last edited:
That County Jail (Callaway) is WAY over capacity and has been for a long time. I do not know how it is elsewhere, but Judges have been instructed that Bond is for making sure Defendants show up for upcoming proceedings. Bond is not to "convict" a defendant before their day in Court.

JMO

Community still remembering Darnell Gray one year later

"Our plan is that we keep him alive," Williams-Coley said. "Usually during situations like this, you always hear about the person who committed the crime. The victim always fades out. This was an innocent baby, and we want to keep him alive."

Marianne Asher-Chapman is the executive director with Missouri Missing. She said keeping his memory around is most important.

Community still remembering Darnell Gray one year later

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back