MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what Alyssa did was horrible and unimaginable but it saddens me a little that there was no one there for her.

Don't get me wrong, I want her punished the fullest extent of the law.

She gets no sympathy from me. None at all.

I know what Alyssa did was horrible and unimaginable but it saddens me a little that there was no one there for her.

Don't get me wrong, I want her punished the fullest extent of the law.

I agree wvjules - it's incredibly sad to know that children murder children. And imo, even though she is being tried as an adult, she really is a child.

Thought this was interesting (from legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com):

"In most jurisdictions, a person may defend criminal charges on a ground of insanity. The Insanity Defense comes in two main forms. First, a defendant may argue that because of mental disease or defect, he or she lacked the capacity to distinguish right from wrong. This is cognitive insanity.

Second, a defendant may argue that because of mental disease or defect, she or he was unable to act in conformance with the law. This is volitional insanity, and it is known as the irresistible impulse defense. Under this defense, a defendant may be found not guilty by reason of insanity even though she or he was capable of distinguishing right from wrong at the time of the offense."

She technically could have premeditated the act and committed the act, but could claim that she was compelled by mental illness to do both. I think it's her only shot.

"In most jurisdictions, a person may defend criminal charges on a ground of insanity. The Insanity Defense comes in two main forms. First, a defendant may argue that because of mental disease or defect, he or she lacked the capacity to distinguish right from wrong. This is cognitive insanity.

Second, a defendant may argue that because of mental disease or defect, she or he was unable to act in conformance with the law. This is volitional insanity, and it is known as the irresistible impulse defense. Under this defense, a defendant may be found not guilty by reason of insanity even though she or he was capable of distinguishing right from wrong at the time of the offense."

She technically could have premeditated the act and committed the act, but could claim that she was compelled by mental illness to do both. I think it's her only shot.
Her lawyer said he didn't want to address any motions. I guess that means his motion to have her sent for mental help. Seems to me if he was going that route he may have addressed that motion. Maybe some of the lawyers could address that. jmo

And imo, even though she is being tried as an adult, she really is a child.

I don't care what a person's age is... if you decide to kill a child just to see what it's like, you get locked away for LIFE (or better yet, death penalty).

Because I don't care AT ALL about the murder's rights. I care about the rights of my community and my family and neighbors being able to stay safe.

As for the murderer.... no sympathy at all. I want you locked away for LIFE and never thought of again.

I am wondering if she admitted to the PD that she did this. Maybe some of the lawyers could weigh in on what the defense lawyer does if the client admits that they did this.

I have no sympathy for her. She committed an adult act, she should be treated as an adult. Lock her up and throw away the key as far as I am concerned.

HOWEVER, I still find it sad that there was NO family of hers there at all. Not sad as in "boo hoo", sad as in pathetic I guess.

I am horrible at conveying what I want to say. lol

I have no sympathy for her. She committed an adult act, she should be treated as an adult. Lock her up and throw away the key as far as I am concerned.

HOWEVER, I still find it sad that there was NO family of hers there at all. Not sad as in "boo hoo", sad as in pathetic I guess.

I am horrible at conveying what I want to say. lol

I can't imagine that the grandmother would just write her off like that...After all her own daughter isn't the model citizen. IMO she may be thinking of the other children. The more publicity she brings on herself unfortunately will effect the other young children as well.

How surprised are you that nobody is there to support Alyssa?

Were they around during her life? I mean actual support and parenting? She had "stuff" but did she have what she needed?

Or is she just evil, psycho, awful. I dunno. She fooled friends and peers.

I can't imagine that the grandmother would just write her off like that...After all her own daughter isn't the model citizen. IMO she may be thinking of the other children. The more publicity she brings on herself unfortunately will effect the other young children as well.

She wasn't in the courtroom, but that doesn't mean she didn't see Alyssa beforehand, at the jail, or even in the courthouse.

Thanks, but from what I could find (that I posted a page or two ago) under Missouri law court does not allow the latter or second defense that you mention --
(this is my novice interpretation-- my links are found on a previous post)

On the 5p KRCG 13 news they showed 3 or 4 girls there for AB.

Thanks for the info and the pictures...

I also thought that Allyssa looked like she had a haircut since the "booking" pictures

she looked, to me, like she was trying to look "bored" or cool or "emo" (lack of emotions?

I wonder what the parents of her friends think about them supporting her in court??

I wonder if maybe the grandmother is trying to avoid the media spotlight??

Thanks for the info on the insanity defense.

On the 5p KRCG 13 news they showed 3 or 4 girls there for AB.

I know one of those girls. She told me in mid-Nov that she was totally shocked by what AB did. She was not there today to support, just to observe. Those kids need closure, too. Media may have called it support, but they didn' talk to those girls.

Teen's lawyer requests change of venue in murder case
Public defender: 'Fair trial cannot be had in this county'
Published: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 4:48 AM CST
<snipped>
"It is alleged that the inhabitants of this county are so prejudiced against the defendant that a fair trial cannot be had in this county," Public Defender Jan King wrote in a two-page motion.

King filed the change of venue motion within hours of Bustamante's second court appearance in three weeks, where he entered a not guilty plea on her behalf, and waived a requirement that the judge read the grand jury's charges to the teen while her attorney was present.

To support his claim, King attached "a small sample of newspaper articles encompassing that time (which) includes comments on the newspaper's web site ... and the prejudicial statements which have been made against the defendant."

His documentation included copies of stories, and online forum comments, from the News Tribune and from the New York Daily News' online version.

Article:
http://newstribune.com/articles/2009/12/09/news_local/nt022local05alyssa09.txt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chet Pleban Explains What's Next For Alyssa Bustamante
December 9, 2009
<snipped>
On Tuesday, a 15 year old girl, bound in shackles pleads 'not guilty' in the murder of her nine year old neighbor in Jefferson City. Alyssa Bustamante was charged with the brutal murder of Elizabeth Olten in October. Defense attorney, Chet Pleban explained what will happen next since Bustamante will stand trial as an adult.

Video: Chet Pleban Explains What's Next For Alyssa Bustamante 2:16
http://www.fox2now.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=a912c1c9-4822-43c9-9b98-a5abac453853&src=front

Article:
http://www.fox2now.com/news/morningshow/ktvi-chet-pleban-alyssa-bustamante-120909,0,1740908.story
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mo. teen charged with murder says residents biased
Wednesday, Dec. 09, 2009
<snipped>
An attorney for a Missouri teenager charged with killing a 9-year-old neighbor says the trial should be moved because local residents are biased against her.

But Bustamante's attorney says residents are so prejudiced against her that she cannot get a fair trial in Cole County. The change of venue motion cites online public comments made in response to news stories posted by Jefferson City and New York City newspapers.

Article:
http://www.bnd.com/336/story/1043283.html

:angel:

She wasn't in the courtroom, but that doesn't mean she didn't see Alyssa beforehand, at the jail, or even in the courthouse.

Exactly. I am sure that she is just trying to avoid the spotlight and the media for the sake of her other grandkids. That is absolutely the right thing to do.

The Morgan County jail is in Versailles. I had a class in Versailles the last week of October (the Sat after Elizabeth went missing and was killed). Had to drive right by Alyssa's house to and from. So I can tell you that it is about an hour and ten minutes each way for them to go and see her. I am sure that they are seeing her whenever possible.

I wonder if the visitor logs are public knowledge if someone were to inquire about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oOoJodieoOo