MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering can someone suggest a more productive way this meeting could have been played out?

Or if you think it was productive I wold love to hear why and what was accomplished.

TIA.
They should have had a town hall meeting first... so there would have been questions and answers. Then the city council meeting would not have been disrupted like this. jmo

LambChop - just before the last thread closed, you posted this:

Let's stay on topic for the next thread. Enough with the streets unless it is relevant to MB.

Can you please explain what the bolded bit means so that I understand what "the streets" means? TIA
playing basketball in the street, kickball, jaywalking etc jmo

I'm wondering can someone suggest a more productive way this meeting could have been played out?

Or if you think it was productive I wold love to hear why and what was accomplished.

TIA.

Depends on how you want to look at it. I'd guess no actual "business" got accomplished as far as the City is concerned. If healing has to occur between the governmental entities in Ferguson and the community, yeah, I'd say something got accomplished in the little bit I saw, that was admittedly at the tail end.

LambChop - just before the last thread closed, you posted this:

Let's stay on topic for the next thread. Enough with the streets unless it is relevant to MB.

Can you please explain what the bolded bit means so that I understand what "the streets" means? TIA

Sorry. We were getting into an off topic discussion about children playing in the streets. It has nothing to do with MB and why OW asked him to move to the sidewalk.

Are you going to protest or observe? Tell us what you're going to wear and we will look for you on the live feeds!

Going up there to eat. But just in case, I'll be wearing a home made TShirt with a big WS on the front and back. Won't be able to miss me.

Did she tell them that she didn't agree with their tactics?

Naw, at the time she was looking incredulously at a 50 year old woman who was frankly being somewhat racist talking about how dangerous the savages are.

Naw, at the time she was looking incredulously at a 50 year old woman who was frankly being somewhat racist talking about how dangerous the savages are.

If you don't agree with them...they are dangerous. They have demonstrated that. jmo

ETA: I'm referring to the protestors.

They should have had a town hall meeting first... so there would have been questions and answers. Then the city council meeting would not have been disrupted like this. jmo

Thank you so much popsicle. Town hall meeting is exactly what I was trying to think of and couldn't come up with. Thanks and yepp, you got it nailed on the head. The Council Meeting never should have been moved from where it normally is in the first place. Have a town hall meeting first. Let the people voice their anger and ask their questions. Slowly engage in some dialogue and take it from there.

Did the counsel members just sit up there or did they try to talk? They looked like deer in headlights when I turned it on.

TIA.

I didn't watch, but was keeping up with everyone's posts. Maybe there needs to be some sort of mediation or conflict resolution to find some community/LE points of agreement as a starting point?

Maybe in theory but can you imagine the reaction to the answers to questions? We have a pretty good idea of what kind of questions would be asked and you know what kind of a reaction the answers would get.

Depends on how you want to look at it. I'd guess no actual "business" got accomplished as far as the City is concerned. If healing has to occur between the governmental entities in Ferguson and the community, yeah, I'd say something got accomplished in the little bit I saw, that was admittedly at the tail end.
I agree that healing needs to occur. Can you be more specific as to what part of tonights meeting promoted community healing?

Is Celebrity Soul Food still up there?

And if a white girl who I met that weighs all of 110 pounds could safely do her 3 mile run through Ferguson, I'm sure grabbing some lunch will be fine.

OMGosh! If you know her, reedus, can you please contact her and advise her as to a safer 3-mile route? For all the reasons of which I am sure you are fully aware ~ It would be such a good, responsible thing that you could do! :blowkiss:

Well, next time tell her to tell them that they should be patient and let the justice system work and wait for the grand jury's decision. Also tell her to wear head to toe kevlar.

TIA.

IMO, these people were told a story (or were reinforced about stereotypes), they had the truth withheld at the beginning, & they were pandered to which was a mistake. And it happened very quickly after MB's death. In other words, they were worked up into a fever pitch by a variety of different forces. They bought it hook line & sinker. Maybe it was convenient for them to, iykwim? I don't know.

No one will clearly & factually stand before a raging crowd now and present facts or statistics that this crowd does not want to hear. It's too late--the damage is done---they are all in.

The community meeting left me really feeling sad.

Empowerment comes from only one person.

TIA.

Since it was apparently just about every person there's first time at one of these city council meetings, they should have tried to get informed as to how they are run. They spent a lot of time complaining that the council wasn't answering questions, when that does seem to be how their city council meetings typically run. They should also have been more appreciative of how the city council was there to listen and say your peace. The format of the meeting was not adhered to by the people who were able to get a chance to speak.

A select few of the speakers made some valid points and were clear, yet it seemed like many of them just wanted to rant an rage.

ETA-no - the meeting was not productive. I am sure the members of the council just couldn't take it any more. They were yelled at, called names, threatened and were basically called out for hiding behind a racist white killer cop. I can't imagine any of them were inspired, except perhaps out of fear.

I didn't watch, but was keeping up with everyone's posts. Maybe there needs to be some sort of mediation or conflict resolution to find some community/LE points of agreement as a starting point?

Great idea.

That might work as long as all of the LE they are dealing with are black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get