MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I do not understand is why the FPD is ignoring the Sunshine Laws and media's specific requests for a detailed incident report. Releasing other info, and a completely blank incident report is thumbing their nose at their state laws. IMHO. They are causing a lot of distrust and angst, and do not have a legal leg to stand on.
I read there is also supposed to be another document filed when there is a shooting of this type, and that also is required to be released as per their sunshine law.
I agree, they are arranging leaks with those friendly to OW instead of releasing information they are required by law to release.
Will add links to relevant statues if anyone needs.
MOO

As the twitter page states, an open investigation is a different scenario...

Under what circumstances can a police agency deny access to police reports that might otherwise be open?

Sections 610.100.3 and 610.100.4, RSMo, state that the agency has the authority to withhold the disclosure of records that may otherwise be subject to disclosure under two circumstances. First, if the agency has an articulable concern over the safety of a victim, witness, or other person if the record is revealed. Second, disclosure is not necessary if the criminal investigation is likely to be jeopardized. However, the agency may need court approval for withholding this information.

http://ago.mo.gov/sunshinelaw/faqs.htm#Q4a

Specifically

2. Each law enforcement agency of this state, of any county, and of any municipality shall maintain records of all incidents reported to the agency, investigations and arrests made by such law enforcement agency. All incident reports and arrest reports shall be open records. Notwithstanding any other provision of law other than the provisions of subsections 4, 5 and 6 of this section or section 320.083, investigative reports of all law enforcement agencies are closed records until the investigation becomes inactive. If any person is arrested and not charged with an offense against the law within thirty days of the person's arrest, the arrest report shall thereafter be a closed record except that the disposition portion of the record may be accessed and except as provided in section 610.120.

3. Except as provided in subsections 4, 5, 6 and 7 of this section, if any portion of a record or document of a law enforcement officer or agency, other than an arrest report, which would otherwise be open, contains information that is reasonably likely to pose a clear and present danger to the safety of any victim, witness, undercover officer, or other person; or jeopardize a criminal investigation, including records which would disclose the identity of a source wishing to remain confidential or a suspect not in custody; or which would disclose techniques, procedures or guidelines for law enforcement investigations or prosecutions, that portion of the record shall be closed and shall be redacted from any record made available pursuant to this chapter.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C600-699/6100000100.HTM

Before you post a link to a political site you need to check it out first to verify whether or not it is political in nature. Do not put political sites here. A political site is available in the private area for those who wish to discuss what is reported at these links. Please do not post them here.

Thanks, Lambchop

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/08/did-mo-law-allow-for-deadly-force-arrest-of-mike-brown/

This discusses the MO police officer's use of deadly force statutes we've already seen, but toward the bottom also cites the specific jury instructions regarding the same given by the judge during a court trial:

"First, if the defendant was a law enforcement officer (making) (or) (attempting to make) a lawful arrest (or what he reasonably believed to be a lawful arrest) or [name of victim] for the crime of [name of crime] and the defendant reasonably believed that use of force was necessary to effect the arrest of to prevent the escape of [name of victim] and
Second, the defendant reasonably believed that [name of victim] (was attempting to escape by the use of a deadly weapon) (or) (would endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay) [emphasis added], and the defendant reasonably believed that the use of deadly force was immediately necessary to effect the arrest of [name of victim], then the defendant’s use of force was lawful.
The state has the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entitled to use force as a law enforcement officer. Unless you find beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant was not entitled to use force as a law enforcement officer against [name of victim], you must find the defendant not guilty (under Count ____).
As used in this instruction, the term “serious physical injury” means physical injury that creates a substantial risk of death or that causes serious disfigurement or protracted loss or impairment of the function of any part of the body."

I had posted the jury instruction some threads ago because frankly, it is probably more important than the statute itself. The jury instruction actually modifies the statute slightly to make it consistent with the Supreme Court decision. I think it's also important to remember the red portion that was not bolded as it is a requisite finding as well.

The other thing that the jury instruction makes clear is that the burden is on the state to establish OW was not entitled to use deadly force.

I keep seeing people say that it should go trial even without a GJ indictment. So, we're willing to put an indictment on a potentially innocent man's record JUST to appease the squeaky wheels that demand it? The 'public' knows jury members CAN be swayed by public opinion before they're even selected to a jury. They're counting on that.

If no indictment is given, no trial should be had. Otherwise, what's the purpose of a GJ? It's to save taxpayers dollars and to ensure there is even evidence enough to go forward. JMO

I am pretty certain there are far more people invested in the statements of Johnson, Crenshaw, and Mitchell than those invested in witnesses favorable to Wilson. Without those three and the manufactured gentle giant theme, this case never sees national attention. Since all three have been largely discredited and the gentle giant theme has been exposed as tactic, not truth, it is even more bizarre how many people are operating on the assumption that this case still is what it originally was. I see virtually no evidence in the indict Wilson bucket.

In your opinion. Just in case some new comes to the thread, just wanted it to be clear it is your opinion any witnesses have been discredited. I would presume that none of the prosecuting attorneys, none of the grand jurors nor any of OW's lawyer(s) have simply written off the witness testimony. They will all (including OW) have their credibility weighed in light of all of the other evidence.

What I do not understand is why the FPD is ignoring the Sunshine Laws and media's specific requests for a detailed incident report. Releasing other info, and a completely blank incident report is thumbing their nose at their state laws. IMHO. They are causing a lot of distrust and angst, and do not have a legal leg to stand on.
I read there is also supposed to be another document filed when there is a shooting of this type, and that also is required to be released as per their sunshine law.
I agree, they are arranging leaks with those friendly to OW instead of releasing information they are required by law to release.
Will add links to relevant statues if anyone needs.
MOO
"What I do not understand is why the FPD is ignoring the Sunshine Laws and media's specific requests for a detailed incident report."
[ THe FPD is not ignoring the sunshine laws---sunshine laws do not override the investigatory procedures protocol. ]

"Releasing other info, and a completely blank incident report is thumbing their nose at their state laws. IMHO. They are causing a lot of distrust and angst, and do not have a legal leg to stand on. "

[They can release other info, like the robbery video, if there is no ongoing investigation into that case. They do have a legal leg to stand on. The angst and distrust began way before this case, imo.]

I think the officer can make a good case, that he considered the fleeing suspect, liable to endanger the lives of others, if he was not immediately stopped. Seconds after OW stopped his vehicle, and tried to exit, the subject reportedly rushed him, assaulted him violently, and then grappled over the gun, as the weapon went off. That is attempted murder of a LEO right there. And it came out of the blue. So he would make a quick assessment that the subject was erratic, impulsive, aggressive, and possibly under the influence/ and or mentally ill. But most important, he was violent. to the point of threatening the officer's life.

In that article, the author comes to a different conclusion, because he says that Michael Brown was not dangerous?

"And there we have it. Despite the plain-language reading of §563.046 that a law enforcement can use deadly force to make an arrest when he reasonably believes the person making the arrest has committed a felony, in the aftermath of Tennessee v. Garner and subsequent changes to Missouri case law and jury instructions, the use of deadly force to make an arrest of a non-dangerous fleeing felon is not permitted under Missouri law."

So how does the author decide that MB is 'non-dangerous'?

That final question is just his opinion, no different than the opinions expressed here. I don't see any danger to the public at the time myself. Yes, I know people will raise theoretical dangers, but there there was no articulable danger posed to the public at the time. If anything, the workers and some others out there apparently didn't feel he posed a threat to the officer, much less themselves. The question for me at this point will be whether he posed a threat to the officer at the time, which will kind of also fold into whether the use of deadly force was immediately necessary to effect the arrest.

I had posted the jury instruction some threads ago because frankly, it is probably more important than the statute itself. The jury instruction actually modifies the statute slightly to make it consistent with the Supreme Court decision. I think it's also important to remember the red portion that was not bolded as it is a requisite finding as well.

The other thing that the jury instruction makes clear is that the burden is on the state to establish OW was not entitled to use deadly force.

Interesting, thank you.

Hmmm, on second thought. Are grand juries typically convened when the police haven't finished investigating?

I'm sure we've probably discussed this, but given the last few posts, it seems beyond backwards. *shrug*

The grand jury had already convened. And the DA said that they would be offering evidence through october. So I think they just got started with what they had, while waiting for the final forensics to arrive. Just speculating...

Survey exposes sharp racial divide in public perception of Ferguson crisis

- 65 percent of African-American county residents believe that Ferguson Police officer Darren Wilson acted unjustly when he ended Brown's life Aug. 9 on a Ferguson street.

-
62 percent of the white residents surveyed by Remington believe the shooting death of Brown was justified.

Wilson should be "arrested and charged with a crime"

-
71 percent of African American residents responding "yes"

-
71 percent of white survey-takers who believe the police officer should not be held liable.

"targeted because of his race.

-
white respondents - 77 percent - responded "no"

-
64 percent of the African-Americans answered in the affirmative.

more @ http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Would be very interesting to know what they based their opinion on. What do they know, what media have they read and watched, etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member