MO MO - Jo Ellen Weigel, 18, pregnant, Lee’s Summit, 2 July 1970

I think the woman who referenced the Cline's living in Merriam might have Mike Cline confused with another. She said he went to elementary, jr. high and eventually high school at Shawnee Mission North.

The gentleman who worked at Waid's said he was interviewed by the Metro Squad, but made no mention if he was questioned any further. He is the same person who mentioned contacting the AG.

There are several people (including the one whose dad worked the case) who think he is living in Guatemala under an assumed, female name. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name, but they have posted a specific name.

Mrs. Cline and the remaining children definitely had the neighbors' sympathy, which would seem to indicate they don't think any of them knew anything.

There has been another article posted on the FB page about Cline. Detective Klinefelter wonders if instead of being smuggled out in dad's trunk, if he in fact swam the lake and was picked up on the other shore and driven out from there.

Do you know where in LS the Weigel's lived? I read they went to the Lee's Summit Methodist Church. If that is true, I went to church with them. I don't recognize the name, but I am pretty good with faces.

Again, I find it very strange that I have never heard of this case until a few days ago.

If you could learn the details of the alleged sighting at Waids I would be interested in that. I wonder if LE was able to verify that or put much stock in it? If the witness was called in front of the GJ that would indicate maybe they did, or they were using everything they had to get a true bill handed down. Does the witness use his real name? If so you can use it here without fear of reprisal.

The Guatemala rumor has been around for a long time and got it's roots from the rumor that Alex Peebles owned a big ranch in central Honduras. If you don't want to mention his alleged name he supposedly used then PM it to me. One of Peebles other famous clients from the early 1960's who disappeared was Sharon Kinne, another fascinating case from Independence, MO. Kinne had shot and killed 3 men including her husband before the age of 25. If interested read the book, "I'm Just an Ordinary Girl", by Jim Hays. The rumor was that Peebles allowed both Sharon Kinne and Mike Cline to hide out there on his ranch for a time until things cooled down, for a handsome fee. There are people who claim Kinne has been seen from time to time in Independence but it is most likely that she was killed by Mexican guards in 1969 while serving a 13 yr prison sentence there. The Mexicans have always claimed that she escaped and hasn't been seen since. When I last spoke with Jim Hays a couple of yrs ago he was working on a new edition of his book with new and updated information ready for press.

I don't know if Peebles owned a ranch in Honduras or not; he liked to be asked about it in interviews but would never say. His most famous client was Nick Civella. Perhaps the crime family had Peebles buy a ranch down there in his name where they could meet out of the public eye; who knows? But I seriously doubt there is any truth to either rumor of Sharon Kinne or Michael Cline hiding out there.

Anyone who has read the FBI case file thru FOIA or even facts as reported by the media at that time could have no sympathy for Chris or Donald Cline! They were both complacent in Michael's flight from justice. Their neighbors at the time did close ranks around the family and many refused to help the Metro Squad in any way. Some were angry that LE ruined their holiday weekend! Perhaps that attitude among some still prevails.

I have heard Klinefelter's theory of Mike swimming across before. I do believe that when Peebles called to tip the family off about Mike's pending arrest he was hidden somewhere in the neighborhood until plans could be made to get him out of town. Where exactly he was hidden and how he got out, I don't know.

The Weigel's lived at 708 S. Lea Dr. at the time and Jo Ellen's mother was still living there when she passed away in 2006. Her father had passed away in 1991. Jo Ellen's older sister and her children & grandchildren are still in the area. One of Jo Ellen's nieces has granted an interview or two.

I had a really elaborate answer for all this, and I spent 2 hours typing it all up but it didn't post. So now the quick-answer. He sleeps with the fishes, just like all his family said. Do you really think any 18 yr old who was that haphazard, undisciplined, and panicky, could manage to vanish into a new life and elude LE for 5 yrs, then another 35 when he gets his poop together (if ever). Frontier justice.

I had a really elaborate answer for all this, and I spent 2 hours typing it all up but it didn't post. So now the quick-answer. He sleeps with the fishes, just like all his family said. Do you really think any 18 yr old who was that haphazard, undisciplined, and panicky, could manage to vanish into a new life and elude LE for 5 yrs, then another 35 when he gets his poop together (if ever). Frontier justice.

Springheel,

Until about 1975, it was easy and very common to assume a new identity. The prefered way was to find the grave of a child born around the time you were, obtain that child's birth certificate (which is public record) and then go to Social Security and get a new number. From that; get a drivers Licence draft card whatever. Lots of people did it for much "pettier" reasons than a murder charge. If you were trying to dodge the law, fingerprints were a big problem but since Michael hadn't been arrested, he probably wasn't printed.

He's out there somewhere. He just has to avoid contact with his family or anyone who knew him back in MO.

Social Security implimented some safegaurds that made it extremely difficult to assume a new identity including a x-reference of reported deaths against active records.

Hell, Kemo, I know that. I'm probably older than you. Im from LS, and every 6 months the subject comes up with friends of family. About 7 yrs ago, it stopped being "where is he" and became "how could he?" Forget about "smart" and look at all the idiotic moves he made leading up to and after the murder. Now consider that if he really did get away, all the folks like would have scoured the ends of the earth for him. Could you have pulled it off at 18 even with a lawyers help? Flippin off the cops probably sealed his fate, and nobody was gonna let Peebles get him out of it.

He sleeps with the fishes, just like all his family said. Do you really think any 18 yr old who was that haphazard, undisciplined, and panicky, could manage to vanish into a new life and elude LE for 5 yrs, then another 35 when he gets his poop together (if ever). Frontier justice.

I've heard that before and I don't buy it. LE is on the case again looking for him and at a pretty high level. It's more than just show.

If Michael Cline was dead at the time of the GJ as 8 members of his family testified why didn't they produce any proof of that fact such as a death certificate? If they were only speculating that he was dead as the result of frontier justice, as you call it, then that's no proof at all. If I was the PA in front of the GJ I would have filed perjury charges if they failed to present any proof of their claim.

During the last few years of his life Alex Peebles granted a lot of interviews about his life and career. Peebles had an ego. By that time he had gotten to the point where he would speak freely about Sharon Kinne because he knew that she was dead and wasn't ever going to be found; she was killed in prison in Mexico. But Peebles would never speak about Michael Cline; he remained silent behind the attorney/client privilege until the end. That's because he knew Cline was still alive and might be caught some day. He wouldn't even give something as noncommittal as his opinion on what might have happened to Cline. I'm sure there is circumstantial evidence of the family financially supporting Michael thru Peebles in the early years.

LE would have liked nothing more than to have captured Cline and brought him to trial in spite of Peebles.

Are you friend or family and on which side?

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I am of the opinion that Michael Cline did kill Jo Ellen Weigel. I also think the young man dealing with the guilt commited suicide some point thereafter. I am not sure if David Cline was aware of his son's suicide. However, I am leaning to believe that Michael could of wrote a heartfelt suicide letter to his father apologizing. David kept this secret from Law Enforcement for the rest of his life. Many father's who are strong minded like David Cline, would view their own son as dead to them and the family after committing such a horrible crime and bringing shame onto the family. David Kline dealing with the shame never cooperated with Law enforcement or the district Attorneys.

Personally I am not from Lee Summit and I do not know either family. But it is just my hunch that something did indeed happen to Michael and the shame of it is why David Cline would never speak or cooperate with Law Enforcement up until the day he passed away. I read an article where Michael sister said that what Michael did destroyed the family. I think it was something that was never talked about among David and his family.

I could be wrong and David and the Lawyer could of been supporting Michael for all those years, but I think it is more likely that a young man took his life.

I also believe that a heated argument led to Michael strangling her. I do not think it was premedidated. Michael panic and thought the best way to get rid of the body was to dump into the lake. I also believe someone helped Michael dispose of the body.

No, I doubt suicide. He does not show any of the deep thought required for self-loathing and guilt. He fits a classic "sociopath" personality, but deeply stupid at 18yrs old. He could have witnessed a lot of euthanasia in his fathers office, and killing felt natural. He would grow more clever, yes, but as I said, I don't feel he was given the opportunity.
I am not "friend or family", nor do I feel any of you are. Most of you seem to suffer the same affliction that prosecutors call "CSI" syndrome-constantly questioning whether LE ran luminol tests or did this or that. I am like 97% of you-afflicted with only extremely dangerous curiosity.
How sure is anybody of what LE really knows. They never tell us anything, nor should they. Alex Peebles might have called the family and said "there's nothing I can do for your boy", and let 'em dangle. Would he really get involved in harboring a fugitive? How much money do you think the Clines really had? Are lawyers really able to provide the chaperones and means for morons like Mike Cline, and would they risk all for someone who they probable despise?
As far as the search goes, I would keep my eyes out. But how hard did OJ look for the "real killers" on the golf course. That may seem like a mean thing to say, but my point is, nobody is really looking that hard, because they already know the answer. I really hate saying that, because there very well may be loved ones out there busting their fannies to find this creep, but none of us seem to be hearing about it. But then again, nothing brings Jo Ellen back, so I can understand just moving on, and placing my faith in LE who demonstrate that they have taken it very personally themselves.

Jees, I wish my first post woulda just flown
I don't like all the wannabe detectives. I don't give any cred to Hurricane, unless he tells me he is from LS, but what would that prove-78% of the LSers on FB have forgotten about the crime or quote "facts" that are completely wrong. I would tend to listen to Jasper, who says he was on the LS Underwater Reco team.
Alex Peebles always sold out to the highest bidder. I talked to an old-Sicilian fella who told me that he gave 10 grand to Peebs to adopt a 6 yr old boy, but Peebs turned around and "sold" the boy to a wealthier KC couple for 30 grand.
Stories about Cline returning to the US to attend college would still be followed up to this day, and I have remarkable faith that LE would have nailed him to the wall. Cline sightings and calls belong in the Elvis file. Keep lookin, OK, yeah. But really stop and be realistic. Would Peebles have helped him past tipping him off? Could family and friends have been smarter than the FBI and all the folks who took it VERY personally to track this train-wreck down?

I live in the area, Springheel. I have known about this case since it was real time; since the day it happened. If vigilante justice settled the score a long time ago, as you say, then I guess we can all go back to watching reality TV or Law & Order reruns; your choice.

Job well done!

Hell no, beats the k-rap out of Tee-Vee (Tee-veeee, t-vee!, tveee!) ANYDAY! If you know that LE is convinced he is still getting over, then you definitely know more than me. All I got is a general feeling that came from 40 years of lookin around and holding my spit-wetted finger up to test the wind. The best theory we heard made us all just kinda go-Hmmm, yeah.

The post this morning that says "friends of family" should be "friends AND family"- I am not currently in contact with any Weigel family members nor have I been since 2-3 yrs after high school. I am just another curious LSer that I feel knows less than the cops. (no sarcasm)

I fail to see the purpose of your rants. Against others who were merely having a civil discussion about what could of possibly happened to Michael Cline. You mentioned Frontier Justice, but yet you do not even suggest who would be responsible.

Atleast my suicide theory would explain why the entire family went to Grand Jury and under oath declared him dead.

I am pretty sure The Cline family has been under intense surveillance by the FBI over the years.

No, if they knew he offed himself, then they found his body, which they woulda given up so that all sins would be "forgiven" and everyone could move on and a death certificate is rendered moot and their would have been no 2nd GJ.
They surmise that he's dead (just an opinion) the same way I came to that conclusion. Your idea that he had help seems thoughtless, based on what you should know about this crime and crime in general. As far as my rants, further into my bottle of wine, I get cranky.

That is my point I don't believe they ever found his body. Only a letter and years of shame and guilt!

Another year has passed with no justice for Jo Ellen Weigel.

"Note that the original Cass County Prosecuting Attorney Gumm said on 07/13/70 that the evidence in the case was only circumstantial, but new Prosecuting Attorney Whitcraft said on 07/08/73 that the evidence was overwhelming and he saw this crime as premeditated murder. Was Gumm just down playing the evidence in an effort to get Cline to come in for an interview? Or was Whitcraft just sabre rattling? Or had additional hard evidence been developed?"

UPDATE: TOD was established as sometime between Thurs night 07/02/70 to Friday morning 07/03/70. After reviewing lab results which included FBI lab results on the ski rope, PA Gumm on 07/13 states the case is only circumstantial. Yet upon announcing just 3 days later that a GJ would be convened, PA Gumm said he considers the case to be premeditated murder. What changed during 3 days time? Divers continued to search thru Sun, 07/12; did they find something of major importance at the last minute? Or did a witness such as the friend who JEW was to spend the night with after her date provide incriminating information?

Based on what the Coroner said at the time JEW would have died 45 yrs ago late last night or early this morning.

Hi, I was told about twenty five years ago that Jo Ellen and Mike had gone upstairs to an office, had a fight and she was pushed down the stairs then strangled and Mike took off after learning he was to be indicted. I was also told she was pregnant, but that fact was not relayed until much later to the general public. The source of this information is now pleading the fifth of sorts but there's a good lead here, without giving the name of the person who gave me this information, my last name is <modsnip>.

Hi <modsnip>. Thanks for the information. You must know what type of office this was; do you know whose it was? They would have been there after office hours since they were out in the evening. Who let them in? Was the office at his father's animal clinic where Michael could have had access with a key? For your source to know this information firsthand would imply that he/she was present & therefore a conspirator in covering this up, or was told by Michael what happened later & kept quiet in which case they might be an accessory after the fact. Is your source likely to be either? Was he/she close to Michael?

The fact that JEW was 4 months pregnant was reported in the media in 1972 so anyone could have known that fact when you were told 25 yrs ago.

Did you know Michael Cline or JEW personally or go to school with them?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back