MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think it's possible, especially as fast as that river can run in a hard rain.
I agree and if the body was weighted down in some way or caught on something...the motion of the water can cause detachment of the skull, limbs, etc. quicker.

Thanks Mike and Armand for setting me straight on the ERH relationship to this case and LE statements. For some reason I just still think he is involved with Kara's disappearance ..she just seems to fit the physical type and age range that he preyed upon in the past. And I always have felt he had more vics out there. Just never saw Kelsey as being his one and only murder vic. For Kara's sake I hope I am wrong.

Wow, school and work has kept me so busy. Look at all that happened.

Like many of you have expressed, I too am both happy/ sad at hearing it is not her.

Question. What evidence, besides the lack of searching for Kara, points to her stepfather as being involved? Just to be clear, I'm not asking this to stir up trouble or anything of the sort. I am just curious if I missed something etc. Thanks :)

Praying for a happy ending...

It'll be interesting to see if they can even tie the clothes to the body. I saw firsthand while exploring Kelsey's site that the trees along the banks have all kinds of junk in them - fabric, bits of cardboard, miscellaneous trash - from the many floods that have occurred in the Little Blue. Some of that stuff was 7 feet up in the trees. I'm not saying there's no connection; only that in this river more than some, we can't say, "Here are some remains, there are some clothes, they must go together."

^Hopefully the skull has all or most of its teeth for a comparison with dental records. LE should be able to do DNA testing on whatever tissue remnants that may still be connected to the skull. Those would be more important than the clothes, which may or may not be connected to it. I am curious over the number of additional bones that were found since the skull's discovery.

Question. What evidence, besides the lack of searching for Kara, points to her stepfather as being involved? Just to be clear, I'm not asking this to stir up trouble or anything of the sort. I am just curious if I missed something etc.
That is a good question, one that I wonder about as well. People handle stress in different ways and to jump on the stepfather is really unfair. He may or may not be a cold fish and not have gotten along with Kara, but that doesn't necessarily automatically make him the bad guy.

I agree completely, but at the same time we can't ignore the many, many stories we've heard over the years involving stepfathers. I don't think the question is invalid, although I certainly know of nothing that points to him.

I agree completely, but at the same time we can't ignore the many, many stories we've heard over the years involving stepfathers. I don't think the question is invalid, although I certainly know of nothing that points to him.

True. But on the other side of the same coin, how about the many stories of the evil child plotting against the step-parent?

I actually have a few things.

The note which was left on Kara's door for one thing.

When Kara didn't come home on May 4, Rhonda and Thomas taped a note on the wall just inside her bedroom door. I know how hard it has been for you. Mom and Thomas.
http://www.findkarakopetsky.com/

Please notice the lack of the stepfather's name when Mom signed that note. Why wasn't he included? Was it because Mom was apologizing for her lack of taking up for Kara against her stepfather? The fact his name was omitted bothered me a lot when I read this the first time.

okay. I'm going to jump in here and say I agree with SS. I've been a stepmother for over 28 years now and any card, etc. has ALWAYS been signed Pat (me-step-mother and Dad).

On the flip side, the mother has always signed Mom, and Tom (step-father).

So I also quetion the absence of the step-father's name on the note.

Just want e1 to know that there is a thread in crimes in the news on the body found. I posted the link a little while ago.

I actually have a few things.

The note which was left on Kara's door for one thing.

When Kara didn't come home on May 4, Rhonda and Thomas taped a note on the wall just inside her bedroom door. I know how hard it has been for you. Mom and Thomas.
http://www.findkarakopetsky.com/

Please notice the lack of the stepfather's name when Mom signed that note. Why wasn't he included? Was it because Mom was apologizing for her lack of taking up for Kara against her stepfather? The fact his name was omitted bothered me a lot when I read this the first time.

Ok, thanks I had forgotten about the note. I'm not saying the stepfather is not involved because who knows, especially in a case where there isn't much information. Maybe they don't include the stepfather's name because Kara did not get along with him. I can't recall what kind of relationship they had, but if I remember it wasn't that great. So, maybe since it's a card for Kara or in this case a note for her they don't want to make her mad by adding his name since it's supposed to be something special for her. Alot of people, especially girls, that age can be offended by something like that. Sorry if this does not make sense, long day :)

Just want e1 to know that there is a thread in crimes in the news on the body found. I posted the link a little while ago.
For the reader:
". . . A female body found in Belton Friday was not that of missing teen Kara Kopetsky, police said.

Authorities made the announcement Saturday but could not identify the body.

Concern had grown in Belton that the body might be that of Kopetsky, who disappeared on May 4 after leaving Belton High School.. . ."
http://www.kctv5.com/news/14280258/detail.html?rss=kan&psp=news

Note: I added the bolding.

Thanks to Indy gal for providing news when a body to consider had been found. Good eyes.

Edited to add: The link to the story which said the body was not Kara's was posted by someone else before me. I do not know how any others may also have found the link before me but kudos to member "opme" for posting the link to this news article in the body thread.

News conference called in Summer Shipp case

By KEVIN HOFFMANN

The Kansas City Star

The Jackson County’s Sheriff’s Office has scheduled a news conference for 8:30 tonight, at which officials are expected to announce a break in the Summer Shipp investigation.

Earlier today, sources indicated that the remains found Sunday in the Little Blue River were those of Shipp, the Kansas City woman who disappeared in 2004 while conducting a door-to-door survey in Independence.
Two fishermen found what authorities described as a human skull along the riverbank less than a mile from a park shelter near Missouri 78 and Missouri 7. A team from Lee’s Summit Underwater Recovery searched the area Sunday night and Monday and reportedly found more bones, along with clothing that was wrapped in fishing line.

Initial reports indicated that the skull came from either a small adult or child. A flier listing information about Shipp after she disappeared described her as 5 feet tall, weighing 105 pounds.

Authorities were at the site again today and recovered more items, according to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office.

Late this afternoon, a family friend said some of Shipp’s relatives were told that the remains might be Shipp’s.

Shipp, 54, vanished Dec. 8, 2004. She was last seen going door-to-door in an Independence neighborhood. Her car, a bronze 1986 BMW, was found three days later in the 1500 block of West College Terrace. Witnesses reported seeing her walking toward a house on that street.

Police arrested a man who lived there for outstanding warrants.

Investigators searched the house, impounded his vehicle, and gathered evidence for testing, but he was later released.

Months later, that man’s mother acknowledged that he was a prime suspect in Shipp’s disappearance and asked police to search her backyard.

Investigators used cadaver dogs and metal prods to search the property for roughly two hours. They found nothing.

Shipp was widely known because she once owned a Westport movie house and was involved in various area social circles. Friends and family members described her as a positive, caring, loving person.

Her strawberry-blond hair and smiling face has been seen on fliers, posters, Web sites even television shows that spread word of her disappearance.

Police and volunteers have searched Independence streets and neighborhoods repeatedly since she vanished.

One effort in February 2005 gained attention because searchers found a Sutherland’s store discount card while searching in northern Independence.

Investigators determined the card was from a mass mailing and had not been used.

Her disappearance has been highlighted on area billboards, and several national television shows.

According to a Web site established by family and friends, a $100,000 reward stood for her return and prosecution of anyone involved in her disappearance.
To reach Kevin Hoffmann, call 816-234-7801 or send e-mail to khoffmann@kcstar.com.

Posted by
Maureen
Wife of missing USMC (Ret.) MSGT Jon R. Van Dyke

Wow, that is really sad. I remember hearing about her case on NG a year or so ago. At least her daughter has closure now. Very sad. I hope they can catch whoever did that now that they found her remains.

Doc, I can not take credit for finding it. It was a poster from the Kelsey thread, KSMIKE who first posted it there. I just brought it over.

Doc, I can not take credit for finding it. It was a poster from the Kelsey thread, KSMIKE who first posted it there. I just brought it over.
Good for both of you then. Sounds like a team effort effect.

So so sad, but closure for the Shipp family.

Now they need to identifiy the body in Belton.

Does anyone know if Kara's family are doing anything to help find her...yet? I wonder if LE is really putting out any effort in looking for her as her mom and stepdad said that they thought she ran away when she first disappeared. I wonder if this is just a cold case sitting in a box somewhere at the PD. I hope not. She's been gone for a long time and you would think that she would have called someone if she was still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74