MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't even have a good time line, I mean she told NO ONE where she was going after ditching school? She asked friends to come, did she not mention where?
Lets make a note on what we DO know:
She was in a bad relationship with restraining order pending
A friend reports her missing 2 days BEFORE she goes missing
She calls Mom about a book she forgot and to wash her work uniform
She leaves school

Suspects:
Ex boyfriend (passed polygraph and has alibi, not sure WHAT the alibi was though)
Kelsey Smith's murderer (?) Still unsure why he was cleared from even being a POI

Work that has been done:
Search of area where Kelsey was found
Polygraph of ex boyfriend
Ruled out runaway (left behind many items, cigarettes, ipod) No activity on bank card

Our Questions:
Cell phone records/pings
Why friend reported her missing
Ex boyfriends alibi
Why was Kelsey's murderer ruled out as POI
What did Kara say when asking friends to leave with her
Where did Kara usually go after skipping school?
Was she still seeing ex in secret?

Feel free to have me add anything I am missing! I am just going off of memory and typing before I head out to dinner.

I watched the epi of ID that covered Kara. I thought it was her phone charger and i pod. Also thought they said the friend came into the station at the same time her family was calling in the report. I thought the guy they arrested in the other girls murder was a very strong poi. It seems her family and the reporter did too. I hope they find her and her family and friends get some piece and closer.
Yes BUT the friend said she was missing two days earlier. So why was Kara not in school those two days.. Hmmm I should add that to my notes.

I watched the epi of ID that covered Kara. I thought it was her phone charger and i pod. Also thought they said the friend came into the station at the same time her family was calling in the report. I thought the guy they arrested in the other girls murder was a very strong poi. It seems her family and the reporter did too. I hope they find her and her family and friends get some piece and closer.

According to the reports, there wasn't even one clue they could connect to the Kelsay Smith murder, they appeared to be totally unrelated. IMHO, I don't believe there is a connection either.

We don't even have a good time line, I mean she told NO ONE where she was going after ditching school? She asked friends to come, did she not mention where?
Lets make a note on what we DO know:
She was in a bad relationship with restraining order pending
A friend reports her missing 2 days BEFORE she goes missing
She calls Mom about a book she forgot and to wash her work uniform
She leaves school

Suspects:
Ex boyfriend (passed polygraph and has alibi, not sure WHAT the alibi was though)
Kelsey Smith's murderer (?) Still unsure why he was cleared from even being a POI

Work that has been done:
Search of area where Kelsey was found
Polygraph of ex boyfriend
Ruled out runaway (left behind many items, cigarettes, ipod) No activity on bank card

Our Questions:
Cell phone records/pings
Why friend reported her missing
Ex boyfriends alibi
Why was Kelsey's murderer ruled out as POI
What did Kara say when asking friends to leave with her
Where did Kara usually go after skipping school?
Was she still seeing ex in secret?

Feel free to have me add anything I am missing! I am just going off of memory and typing before I head out to dinner.

When she left school around 9:30-10:00, she had an argument with her teacher. However, it is unclear whether she left school because of the argument. It is believed she had made at least one call during this time. There were reports that said she contacted Kylr, but that's not confirmed. In fact, according to forum gossip, it was believed that when she called Kylr, Kara had thought about skipping school, however Kylr had told her not to. Don't know if there is any truth to this story.

I don't think that story is correct, I thought she had reported Kara missing the day of, maybe it was an error in reporting, otherwise that didn't make sense really. If so, I'm sure the Belton LE would've taken note of it. I think the report came on the afternoon of when she went missing.

There is still a possibility of her running away, but after it was confirmed that the sighting in Louisburg, MO was NOT her, that's looking like less of a possibility now. Nobody has a record of the conversations from Kara before she left, the police are probably keeping that info confidential.

Not sure on where she went, when and if she ditched school.

Yes, there were reports that she was still seeing Kylr, even after the restraining order, but this was forum gossip, could be true or untrue.

This is from a topix post, dated 2/5/10. This was based on interviews from others and myspace blurbs.

Kara's boyfriend sounds XXXXXXXXX? What do you think? Read below. Someone in Belton knows something.
KYLR YUST/assault charges/WOULDN'T WANT HIM DATING MY DAUGHTER...how about you?
Belton Police say just six days before Kara's disappearance they arrested Yust for assaulting the missing teen.
A restraining order against him levels accusations that he kidnapped her and restrained her on April 28, seven days prior to her disappearance. It also alleges on a separate occasion he choked her and threatened to slit her throat.
Yust says the kidnapping allegation was from a night where for a few minutes he would not let her out of his pickup truck, but that he never, ever, had any intention to harm Kara Kopetsky.
Police say, even after the incident, Kara continued to call Yust and spend time with him, even after the restraining order was put in place.
"You want something for your story, check this out," Yust said Friday as he rolled up his sleeve and showed a large, healing scar across his forearm *(sounds more like a struggle to me).
"I tried to kill myself twice. There you go. That's the night I did it 'cause I wanted her to leave the room so I could do that," Yust said as he ended the interview and walked into a no-alcohol bar where his band was performing Friday night.
Police say there was no evidence to support kidnapping charges in connection to the night Yust would not let Kara out of his truck. He does, however, face misdemeanor disorderly conduct and assault charges.
The disappearance of Kara Kopetsky has not been classified as a kidnapping. It remains a missing person case.
After calling the police, they organized an army of Kara's cousins, aunts, uncles and friends of the family to knock on doors around Belton, make fliers and T-shirts and call her friends.
One of those friends,**Kylr Yust, 18, was Kara's on-again-off-again boyfriend for much of the school year.
Anyone who's read Kara's MySpace page knows about the tempestuous Kara-Kylr hookup.
Police say that a few days before she disappeared, Kylr and Kara had a dustup that resulted in an order of protection requiring Kylr to stay away from her.
On April 24, Kara wrote: "So life hasn't been the greatest for me lately, over the last 9 months of my life iv dedicated my life to kylr I made no other time for any of my friends nor my family. over those 9 months i forgot the person that I was. im trying to find that person again."
**Kylr said Kara was a **"flying by the seat of your pants" girl.
"She just wanted to have fun and do everything and experience everything in life," he said.**"She didn't think too forward. She was always in the moment. She didn't think about - what am I gong to do when I grow up.'"
He keeps pictures of her on his cell phone. He said she talked of *****running away to Mexico the next time she was punished at home.
"Lately I've been kind of depressed about the***** whole thing," he says. "I have no idea where she is."
Friends doubt that Kara ran away, but police have not ruled out the possibility. Spears says there are no suspects in Kara's disappearance; there's no evidence a crime has been committed.
Because she's 17, legal age in Missouri, the police couldn't make her come home even if they found her, Spears says.
If Kara wanted to vanish without a trace, he says, she could have found a Web site to tell her how.Shame on Spears** She could have bought a pay-as-you-go cell phone that can't be tracked. She could have left behind her clothes and that fresh carton of cigarettes on purpose**.
"It complicates the matter and adds to the frustration," Spears says. "Hopefully we can keep her face out in front of the public."

According to the reports, there wasn't even one clue they could connect to the Kelsay Smith murder, they appeared to be totally unrelated. IMHO, I don't believe there is a connection either.
I agree as well, BUT I wish I knew for sure..

I don't know who Kara contacted the day she went missing. But I personally talked to one of her friends through myspace and he claims that she called him that day and wanted to skip school but he told her not to. Just wanted to clear that up that it wasn't Kylr.
Also, the cold case article on CNN states that the charges against Kylr were dropped by Karas family at LE's request (something fishy there), the charges didn't expire, they were dropped. I don't have Internet other than my IPhone so I can't post the link, but the article was from November.
Also, the post about what was on topix is accurate. It was from an early article that quoted Kylr directly and I specifically remember this article but it's no longer available and as far as I know, nobody ever got screen prints.

I always found it interesting that only a month after Kara disappeared, Kelsey Smith was murdered after being abducted from a Walmart only a few miles from where Kara disappeared. They found the murderer of Kelsey because they caught him on videotape and he admitted to it, but I just found it hard to believe that she was the first with the way he did it and all. They questioned Edwin Hall and somehow cleared him of the murder, but I still wonder. Such a coincidence I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kelsey_Smith

I don't know who Kara contacted the day she went missing. But I personally talked to one of her friends through myspace and he claims that she called him that day and wanted to skip school but he told her not to. Just wanted to clear that up that it wasn't Kylr.
Also, the cold case article on CNN states that the charges against Kylr were dropped by Karas family at LE's request (something fishy there), the charges didn't expire, they were dropped. I don't have Internet other than my IPhone so I can't post the link, but the article was from November.
Also, the post about what was on topix is accurate. It was from an early article that quoted Kylr directly and I specifically remember this article but it's no longer available and as far as I know, nobody ever got screen prints.

My understanding after watching the Discovery episode was that because Kara did not show in court, the charges were dropped. Maybe it's a case of semantics. IDK. But it's on again on Sunday.

http://investigation.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=141.15373.130192.40769.19&start=20

Jan 02, 4:00 pm
(60 minutes)

Remind Me
Disappeared
Gone at 17
TV-PG (V), CC

When 17-year-old Kara Kopetsky doesn't come home from school one day, her family panics. Foul play is suspected and a series of unsettling clues surface. But the leads grow cold until a month later when another local teenage girl goes missing.

This time I will take notes. Maybe I'll be able to record and download ... never tried it before.

On first page of this thread, there is an article posted that says they followed pings on cell phone but her phone was not used. This from girl whose cell phone bills were 80-100 pages.

http://cgi.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/04/28/grace.coldcase.kopetsky/index.html

Police say there has been no activity on Kara's cell phone since shortly after she walked out of school. They followed some pings from the phone, conducted some searches, but found nothing significant. Beyond that, they aren't commenting.
video.gif
Watch an update on the case »
Kara's stepfather says the cell phone's long silence makes him suspicious.
"This doesn't make any sense," said Jim Beckford. "Kara was on her cell phone sending texts constantly. Her cell phone bill was typically 80-100 pages long."

ETA

• Story Highlights
  • Missouri teen left school early after an argument with a teacher
  • School surveillance video shows Kara Kopetsky walking out
  • Her cell phone shows no activity after 10:30 a.m. on May 4, 2007
  • A $35,000 reward is offered for information. Call 816-474-TIPS

I was able to find the video on Amazon.com. Just go to video on demand and search for Kara Kopetsky, the episode will come up. It costs $1.89.

Found this on case net;

I didn't screen cap but one page, it looks like he was arrested for stealing, judge set $10,000 cash only bond (eventually reduced to 10%) he has a court date set for this Thursday, November 18, 2010 - looks like his lawyer has requested a continuance - that is still pending.

TheWizard ... thank you so much for finding the Amazon link. I thought I'd contact Discovery and ask them if/how I could purchase the video or if it were available for viewing.

Knowing it's on Amazon is invaluable to me. :)

It appears at this point it is very clear we now have the culprit and that is Kylr. It's not out of the question he had someone else "do the job".

There was a gentleman in one of the earlier threads that goes by "Pete". He specifically mentioned he spoke with two other people, one from out of state and both of them said that Kylr passed only part of the polygraph examination. The police basically lied and told us that he did pass the polygraph, "unless" the police wanted to make that announcement to the public to have Kylr think that since he passed the test he was no longer a suspect.

Problem is there is no body, no murder weapon and most importantly not enough evidence to convict him. The Belton PD know it was him, unfortunately there isn't anything they can really do about it.

I'm interested in knowing where "Pete" obtained this information and why would someone would release this information if it were so?

Great Job Wizard, thank you for all the work you put in to putting those here for us!

Reposting from thread #3.

Hi RR004,

I have not given up all hope, but I know just how slim the chances of Kara be recovered safe are. In writing to some of Kara’s friends I have stressed the fact that on rare occasions people have been recovered safely after a long period of time, and listed a number of examples.

One of the things that I find very interesting is that while all of Kara’s friends hope and pray that she is working in some little bistro on the Mexican coast, hope she is sitting on a beach somewhere margarita in hand watching the sun sink into the ocean.. NONE do.

In fact of all the people I have contacted, and all of those who have been quoted in the press, only one person provided a explanation for Kara’s disappearance that would indicate that she was in fact a runaway.. Her ex-boyfriend.

Kylr Yust, the ex-boyfriend who a week before Kara vanished was charged with kidnapping. Kylr Yust, the man who Kara had a restraining order taken out against. Kylr Yust, the man who it was reported had on a separate occasion choked her and threatened to slit her throat…. Is the only person to publicly state that Kara may be a runaway.

This is the same Kylr Yust who explained away a large wound on his arm as a botched suicide attempt.

The fact that the only person who benefited from Kara’s disappearance, is also the only person to publicly suggest that she ran away, is a fact that I find.. Interesting.

This has been by far without question the most interesting post of any of the threads related to this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDawn View Post
I agree Peter, I have always suspected Kylr and always will until there is definite proof otherwise.

If I recall she even spoke with him that morning and requested he pick her up from school..or am I wrong on that?
Kara spoke with three males after she talked to her mother. I have been told one was Kylr but I don't know that to be a fact.

BTW: On most boards people have dismissed Kylr for one simple reason, early in the investigation police were quoted as saying he passed a Polygraph test.

I have been in contact with two adults close to this case but not family members. They don't know each other and don't even live in the same state. Early on, in early July of 2007 I believe, I asked one about that statement. I was told that it was not accurate, that in fact Kylr only passed sections of that test.

Eight months later I asked the same question from my second source without revealing what I had already been told; I got the exact same reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa