MO MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17, Belton, 4 May 2007 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should sign up for netflix! Then you can watch every episode of Disappeared! :)

I said the same thing about EH way earlier i couldn't find my post but i said the very same thing. Also don't worry bout netflix you can watch it on youtube ...

I just saw this case on ID and I immediately came here to read up!

One thing that's weird about this case is that there's certainly no shortage of very likely suspects: the abusive ex-bf or the Ed Hall guy who stalked and killed another teen girl, Kelsey Smith.

Weirdly enough, I remember when the Kelsey Smith case happened and for some reason I thought both hers and Kara's cases were solved. I was working at an office for a construction company during summer '07 and they kept CNN Headline News on all. day. long. I must've seen the Kelsey Smith Target footage ten billion times that summer...I knew Kara's case was potentially associated w/ hers, but I mistakenly thought they both were solved.

So, I watch ID the other day and realize Kara's is still unsolved. Sheesh! Looking forward to reading more and hearing everyone's thoughts!

I wonder if this was a crime of opportunity. Say someone unrelated to Kara picked her up and took her to a remote area such as rural area where they owned land and buried her. I know a plumber who has rentals near the school and owned land where he was digging a lake on his land during that time. I mentioned Kara to him and got a very weird reaction. My first thought was "Did he kill her"? But I thought I was just being too suspicious.

I wonder if this was a crime of opportunity. Say someone unrelated to Kara picked her up and took her to a remote area such as rural area where they owned land and buried her. I know a plumber who has rentals near the school and owned land where he was digging a lake on his land during that time. I mentioned Kara to him and got a very weird reaction. My first thought was "Did he kill her"? But I thought I was just being too suspicious.

It can't hurt to submit an anonymous tip. LE often asks the public to be aware of friends/acquaintances acting strangely after a disappearance in the community.

Where is Kara?

Someone knows something, it's been a few years, time to loosen those lips! Know something? Say something! You can be anonymous....don't let someone get away with murder....

Kylr Yust tells judge to ‘Eat a steak for me’ at sentencing

The former boyfriend of missing Belton teen Kara Kopetsky will spend nearly 4 years in prison after being sentenced Friday for a drug trafficking conviction.

Kopetsky’s parents believe Kylr Yust knows what happened to their daughter.

[snip]

Now that Yust is going behind bars for another crime, Kopetsky’s parents are hopeful new information about their daughter’s disappearance will come to light.

http://fox4kc.com/2013/11/22/kylr-y...ra-kopetsky-to-be-sentenced-for-drug-charges/

Snipped from the above link:

Kopetsky’s parents believe Kylr Yust knows what happened to their daughter. Yust, 24, was convicted of receiving designer drugs, which produce effects similar to Ecstasy, in the mail with the intent to sell or distribute it.

On Friday, Yust told a federal judge to: “Eat a steak for me,” when the judge asked him if he had anything to say before being sentenced.

:shakehead:

This case is so sad. I just wanted to speak up a little re: the actions of Belton PD. First, I know a lot of people had suspicions about them asking Kara's family to drop his pending misdemeanor charges, but I can understand the strategy in doing this. They wanted KY to talk to them about Kara--an endangered missing and possibly murdered person is a much more serious situation than the pending misdemeanor charges he was facing. But he almost certainly had a lawyer appointed on the pending case which meant the cops would not be able to talk to him about Kara's disappearance. I have seen similar things like this done in other cases. It can be a good investigative strategy, especially if a life is potentially hanging in the balance. Just saying that as someone who works in the criminal justice system, this does not appear suspicious to me that Belton PD would do this. Furthermore, a decision on actually dropping the charges would have to be made by the prosecuting attorney, no matter what the police or family wanted. This decision would have to go through the prosecutor, and again, that makes sense that they would be willing to drop a couple misdemeanors if police thought it was urgent to be able to speak with that person in connection with an endangered missing person.

Also, as much as it seems like everything is clear, and KY is the obvious perpetrator, LE has to think about actually proving a case beyond a reasonable doubt, and getting a conviction. And while yes, murder convictions have been made without a body, they are extremely difficult. And they are often not made for years after the disappearance. For all we know, police have wanted to make an arrest, but a prosecutor has turned them down, and said there's just not enough right now. Imagine how authorities would feel if they arrested KY, then lost the case because there just wasn't enough evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, and then a year or two later, they find her body, along with physical evidence connecting KY to the crime. They would be stuck, unable to prosecute him ever again, all because they didn't wait that one or two years more.

I hope Kara is found, for the sake of her family. I can't imagine what they are going through. But more than anything, I want the authorities to be able to arrest AND CONVICT the person who did this. Kara deserves justice. And justice somewhat delayed is better than justice completely denied.

Now that this is locked up away I hope someone in jail can help expose information.....maybe he will talk himself up in prison to other inmates, revealing some information about where or what happened to Kara.....

Ugh although it's hard to get people convicted of other crimes while already in jail because obviously he won't want to stay any longer for a murder sentence but maybe...

Justice for Kara. <3

I just watched the Disappeared episode about Kara. It's so sad that nothing has been solved. It's not for lack of awareness in the area; there are missing posters all over the KC metro area. There is even a big sign about her on 58 Hwy in Belton.

Once the police ruled Edwin Hall (Kelsey Smith's killer) out in Kara's case, I never thought anymore about him. IMO the fact that he brought Kelsey to Longview is coincidence. The back roads and trails in and out of Longview are not hidden and not hard to get to at all.

The difference in media coverage between Kara and Kelsey was sad. There was so much media coverage on Kelsey that when the police were directed to search Longview, we knew why the helicopters were there before it was even on the news.

I'm not saying Kelsey shouldn't have had that much media attention; I'm just saying that Kara deserves to have that much also.

I see Rhonda Beckford every once in a while when I am in Belton. I just want to hug her and let her know her daughter isn't forgotten. But I don't, cause I don't want to look like some freak.

I am kind of surprised that Kara's ex boyfriend passed his polygraph test and I am still not quite convinced whether he had anything to do with Kara's disappearance or not. It would be nice if he could take a second one done by someone other than whoever gave him the poly graph test before. I do not necessarily trust polygraph tests. There can often be unexperienced or even unqualified LE members doing the tests and sometimes the tests frame someone as the perp due to feeling of guilt related to the incident. Then you have people who have no remorse or guilt of what they have done such as Gary Leon Ridgeway/The Green River Killer. JMO and :twocents:

I am kind of surprised that Kara's ex boyfriend passed his polygraph test and I am still not quite convinced whether he had anything to do with Kara's disappearance or not. It would be nice if he could take a second one done by someone other than whoever gave him the poly graph test before. I do not necessarily trust polygraph tests. There can often be unexperienced or even unqualified LE members doing the tests and sometimes the tests frame someone as the perp due to feeling of guilt related to the incident. Then you have people who have no remorse or guilt of what they have done such as Gary Leon Ridgeway/The Green River Killer. JMO and :twocents:

Actually, he didn't pass the polygraph test. Possibly for strategic purposes, someone from the Belton PD issued that statement that he passed.

There is no connection between Edwin Hall and Kara Kopetsky, it's not even close. There may be a couple of coincidences, but that's all there is, it's just a coincidence, nothing more.

Wow, reading through this thread....there's a lot of stuff here that wasn't mentioned on "Disappeared"!

And not all of what they said was actually true. Basically all of the correct information on the show "Disappeared" was already known to most people, there weren't any new developments that came from it that wasn't already available to the public.

Bump. Just read through all of Kara's threads. I really think Kylr is very likely responsible for Kara's disappearance. Edwin Hall? Maybe. Kara's stepfather? No and it does bug me when a missing person's stepfather is wrongly accused without much evidence like in the Amber Dubious case. Small town police departments often do not have the best resources nor experience in all times of crimes, so they may intentionally be ignorant from being overwhelmed in certain situations. I know by experience living in a small safe middle class town when I was like eleven when my family trying to report our stalker former neighbors' horrendous mental and physical abuse. When we told them that the live in boyfriend of the woman who we formerly shared a duplex we lived in was black, they flat out accused my family members of being racist. Little did that police officer or detective know that my Dad had former girlfriends who were black. :facepalm: If I decide to be a police officer I am not going to work in a small town where there is not much crime at all. JMO and :twocents:

I live in the same area Kara went missing from and have seen many searches over the years, Kylr has always been suspected around hear. Her mother and step father are very devoted to finding her and hold memorials every year in Belton. There is a huge 'Find Kara sign' on one of her family's property on my way home I see it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam