MO MO - Loy Evitts, 29, Kansas City, 28 Feb 1977

Cynthia Anderson disappeared from Toledo Ohio

I remember this sad story well. I always hoped they would solve her disappearance. It was as though she vanished into thin air. I used to live in the Plaza/Westport area. No way she would have walked to the Katz Drug Store on her lunch hour, especially when she had already used up part of her time at other stores. It would have been an uphill walk to get there, and it was February. Might have been quite cold. I suspect she might have encountered someone in the parking lot who followed her back to work and kidnapped her from that lot. Hope someday they find answers for her poor husband.

Bumping for Loy on the 41st anniversary of her disappearance.

I have been reading a lot about Loy's case lately. It is striking that no one who actually knew her has a single bad thing to say about her. It sounds like Loy was a truly wonderful person.

Friend: "She was so beautiful and a very sweet and caring person."
Friend: "I remember Loy very well... even her voice and laugh... A very lovely, kind, friendly person."
Friend: "Such a sweet person, never harmed anyone or anything."
Schoolmate: "She was a very sweet person."
Friend: "She was a lovely person."
Friend: "Beautiful and so nice."
Schoolmate: "I always thought that she was so nice to everyone and I remember her laugh."
Friend: "She was so very sweet."
Family friend: "Loy was a doll."
Brother-in-law: "She had such an elegant, attractive way to her. Everyone in the family just adored her."
Missing persons supervisor: "This is the first saint I've ever seen. Everybody says she's perfect and I haven't hardly been able to disprove it."
Husband (who has never remarried): "I was smitten by her immediately... We loved each other very much and that's what I miss... It does get terribly lonely at times."

In 1980 I lived in Westvale duplexes on West Chipman Road in Lee's Summit. Everyone around us knew that it was the one lane bridge/tunnel west of the duplexes where Loy Evitts purse contents were found under. It was a heavily wooded area at the time. Chipman Road runs parallel to I470 which was under construction then. This makes sense when you factor in that was where they were searching for her body. It is about a 20-30 minute drive from the Country Club Plaza where she worked.

This case is near and dear to me since I am local to Kansas City, Missouri. I really hope this will be solved one day ! Bumping for Loy!

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Tunnel where purse was found based on description above. the no finger prints in the car is most likely based on armor all and her Loving her car so much ... its so greasy and those old cars had alot of vinyl or leather interior
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
look at street view.. creepy- I think the purse went out the window on the main road north of tunnel/bridge transient found it and took it there to go through ?

In 1980 I lived in Westvale duplexes on West Chipman Road in Lee's Summit. Everyone around us knew that it was the one lane bridge/tunnel west of the duplexes where Loy Evitts purse contents were found under. It was a heavily wooded area at the time. Chipman Road runs parallel to I470 which was under construction then. This makes sense when you factor in that was where they were searching for her body. It is about a 20-30 minute drive from the Country Club Plaza where she worked.

This is very interesting and I'd love to hear more! I'm especially curious how you all came across this info since the specific location was never revealed. All I have found was just vague references in the vicinity of Southeast KC- mainly Unity Village / Colbern Road area. In this very thread I previously suggested that it was also in the same area- allegedly the Rhinehart Road bridge- based on this comment from this website:

Rhinehart Road Bridge
Posted August 14, 2010, by C. Vance (cvance [at] dogmail [dot] co)
This was the bridge beneath which they found the only clue--her purse--in the disappearance of Loy C. Evitts, a 29 year old secretary who disappeared from The Plaza in late February 1977. This is one of Kansas City's most puzzling missing person cases.

I am extremely curious as to how this "C. Vance" came across this information (assuming it is accurate) as this bridge was never specifically mentioned either. Who is this person and how does he know?

Last edited:
She lived with her husband in Overland Park, KS but worked and disappeared from the Plaza area in Kansas City, MO.

KCPD did not take seriously the idea that she disappeared of her own free will because her purse and it's contents were found a few days later under a bridge in the area. Why go to the trouble to plant the purse? Why not just leave it in the Corvette that she drove, or just drop it in the parking garage if she wanted to give the impression that she was abducted?

Her husband was about 10 yrs older that she. He was quickly cleared as a suspect. Within a couple of years he gave up hope that she would ever be found alive and stopped granting interviews.

It was Loy's friends who said that she had many personalities and could be a different person, depending on who she was with.

If I remember correctly her mother died a few years ago. A DNA sample is on file should her remains ever be found.
Loy Evitts drove an MG sports car made in England

To my knowledge from the info that I have saved on this case the Grandview man who was apprehended or questioned, but not arrested, in this case was never named publicly. So we don't know who he is/was. He was obviously responsible for the anonymous phone call as it was traced to him, and we can assume at a minimum that the phone call concerned the purse which was found under the bridge. If the phone call mentioned the location of Loy's remains they were never found during the search.
John Edward Robinson, the BDSM killer, was living in the KC area at the time that she disappeared. I, for one do not believe that he suddenly switched from small time fraudster to serial killer overnight in 1984, I suspect, as did the agents that worked the case, believe that he started killing much earlier then the cases that he was convicted of.

It seems to me that the lawyer she worked for was indicted a few years after her disappearance, and it was something along the lines of a shady real estate or development deal, or some other type of money laundering scenario. I don’t recall exactly what it was but I have a media file on the case, if I can find it. KCPD has always said that the lawyer and her husband were both cleared as suspects. I recall that Loy’s mother died some years back (maybe 8-10 yrs) and a new but short lived emphasis was placed on the case then. Correction: Loy's mother died in 2008.

To her friends she was a woman of mystery. Some knew her as a woman who wanted a career and would let nothing stand in the way of that goal; some said she married her older husband for money and status. Others said she wanted to start a family. So who really knows?

If her abduction was a random event brought about by someone she might have encountered while at lunch that day, then why return her car to the garage to her exact parking spot, and then wipe it down of all finger prints inside and out?

If you know about Berdella’s case and his “head shop” in Westport then you probably know what he said he usually did with the bodies. The Westport merchants association used to have a pot luck luncheon (weekly or monthly, not sure) for themselves, and after this all came out in the media some of the merchants said that Bob used to bring some of the best stews!
It seems to me that the lawyer she worked for was indicted a few years after her disappearance, and it was something along the lines of a shady real estate or development deal, or some other type of money laundering scenario. I don’t recall exactly what it was but I have a media file on the case, if I can find it. KCPD has always said that the lawyer and her husband were both cleared as suspects. I recall that Loy’s mother died some years back (maybe 8-10 yrs) and a new but short lived emphasis was placed on the case then. Correction: Loy's mother died in 2008.

To her friends she was a woman of mystery. Some knew her as a woman who wanted a career and would let nothing stand in the way of that goal; some said she married her older husband for money and status. Others said she wanted to start a family. So who really knows?

If her abduction was a random event brought about by someone she might have encountered while at lunch that day, then why return her car to the garage to her exact parking spot, and then wipe it down of all finger prints inside and out?

If you know about Berdella’s case and his “head shop” in Westport then you probably know what he said he usually did with the bodies. The Westport merchants association used to have a pot luck luncheon (weekly or monthly, not sure) for themselves, and after this all came out in the media some of the merchants said that Bob used to bring some of the best stews!
In a 2017 interview her husband, Donald mentioned that when they first met he was 19 and she was 17. He was in Coffeyville Junior College and she was a senior in high school, not much of an age difference to confer status in the community

The 44th anniversary of Loy's disappearance is today. She still haunts the KCPD as the oldest cold case. May one day she be found and her case resolved.

Refreshing some files
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Loy Gillespie Evitts – The Charley Project
Missing: Loy Gillespie Evitts - Defrosting Cold Cases

Rhinehart Road Bridge
The bridge in 2005.

158698-M.jpg

Facebook

I just can't see that she went missing of her own accord. Here are my opinions why:

A) Her husband loved her dearly and they had a great relationship. Okay, you never truly know what's secretly going on inside someone's head, but I don't believe she would up and leave him.

B) She bought an umbrella. I don't believe anyone who is going to start a new life would buy an umbrella. There's way more to think about!

C) Abandoned purse. If you were wanting to leave your life and start over, you wouldn't discard a purse by the city limits. This would be too much of a clue of which road you used, which direction you went etc. Most women won't abandon their purse, even if going to a new life. You'd need it. It's a security thing, having your purse with you. Reassuring.

MOO. :)

Although it would be less likely a "serial killer" than just a random act, what about Lorenzo J. Gilyard? He mostly killed prostitutes, but he did kill a few who were not prostitutes.

I had to research Gilyard and you are correct, it appears his victims were primarily prostitutes but the other victims who allegedly weren't, did have associations with prostitution and/or drugs. So it appears he was an opportunist that capitalized mainly on marginalized people of the streets.

The fact that Loy's car was meticulously placed back in her usual parking spot makes it seem like whoever abducted her knew her routine, whether they knew her personally or was stalking her. Unless of course she was abducted her after she parked the car herself in the garage upon her return. Either way, it seems she doesn't fit Gilyard's victimology.

Also, Loy was never found and there's no mention if Gilyard had any victims that were never found. It would be interesting to know if there are any missing people that could be attributed to him and it was never connected.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

As you might be able to tell from my member's name, I have something in common with Loy. We share some DNA, although I might say she got the better share of it, due to her well known beauty in personality and looks. She is my second cousin that I did not know existed until a few months back. I was barely in this world when she went missing. For all of you on here who have hopped something would be done for finding her, I hope to remedy with that to the best of my ability. I've read every comment on this thread and it warms my heart to see such passion and thought into her disappearance. Thank you to every one of you who has commented, I have read (as of this date) every dot and tittle of comments and replies. Your information, ideas, and links have been very helpful for me in my new quest.

I have reached out to Loy's husband, and I have received his blessing on doing what I can to chase this down. Many of you have given me leads that I will likely follow up with you on. There is much to share! Who knows? You might one day be publicly (if you wish to be) thanked for your help.

Blessings,

J. Gillespie

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member