Found Deceased MO - Nicholas Diemel, 35, & Justin, 24, brothers missing, Clinton County, 21 July 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling they were held at gunpoint at the park-n-ride in Holt. That would explain the truck being left with the engine running and lights on too.
jmo
I wondered about that too. However that would mean that if it was the braymer suspect involved he had to hold them at gunpoint for a distance of 30 miles. Then get them into another vehicle and continue to hold them at gunpoint 30 miles back to the property. other than a reference to it on Facebook I have not seen any mention officially that the vehicle was found running. I know it it also been mentioned that perhaps someone was trying to make it look like they ran out of gas. However they are only a few hundred yards from a gas station. and it seems suspicious to me that if you ran out of gas you would leave your key in the on position.

Other than the one news article (above), there has been no other mention of Joey Nelson, the farm owner.

None of the reporters asked if they were questioning the property owner(s), if that person was being cooperative, if they gave any indication what time the brothers (supposedly) left the farm, etc. I think that’s kind of odd...

From this recent article, they are searching an area behind the home:

Ponds, waste piles checked as search for missing brothers continues

Outbuildings, ponds and waste piles have been checked as authorities continue searching for two missing brothers from Wisconsin.

Nick and Justin Diemel were in Caldwell County for business. They did not make a scheduled flight back to Wisconsin on Sunday. Their rental truck was found in a commuter lot at Interstate 35 and PP Highway in Clinton County.Investigators said they have processed the pickup for evidence.

Authorities conducted searches in both Caldwell and Clinton counties Thursday.

Investigators have also been searching an area behind a home on Catawba Road near Braymer.

"They are checking buildings, ponds, waste piles. We're just searching everywhere we can to try to see if we can't find these brothers," Clinton County Sheriff Larry Fish said.

Each day, the waiting gets tougher for the Diemels' family and friends.

"It's stressful. We're not getting a lot of sleep so we're tired," said Rob Chupp, an employee of Diemel Livestock.

The brothers visited farms in Clinton and Caldwell counties to check on cattle.

Investigators said they have not found any of the brothers' belongings besides the rental truck.

"We hope we can get a good resolution to this, we really do. We're making sure we do a thorough job through the process of this," Fish said.

Family members said they are thankful for efforts made by law enforcement.

Investigators said they have focused their search on a property near Braymer because the family told them that is one of the places the brothers were supposed to be doing business.

Authorities have not found anything.

“The wife of one of the missing Shawano County brothers tells FOX 11 she was told not to be alarmed about volunteer firefighters being added to the search for her husband.”

I can’t imagine this being a good thing. I feel as if it would worry me immensely.[/QUOTE

I thought the same thing. I wonder if it is because the county has limited resources (per sheriff) and need the extra manpower.

Thanks for that @inmyhumbleopinion

you are a gem on here, in general.
That’s very kind of you. Thank you so much, and ditto!

Initially I found the case intriguing because I didn’t know anything about livestock-farming (I’m not even sure if that’s the correct term ...). I didn’t understand why Nick and Justin, as livestock owners based in Wisconsin, would have to travel to Missouri to conduct business. I had no clue. Their company Facebook was helpful in trying to understand what their line of work entails.

And now I really, really want them to be found safe and back with their family. They both seem like good, hard-working guys, and I just hate it when bad things happen to good people.

If it turns out that (G)JN is involved in their disappearance, I would be very much interested to find out more about him. By age 21, he had been running a fraudulent scheme for over two years. A crime significant enough that it landed him in federal prison for two years. Just a little over a year since being released from custody, what has he done?

Last edited:
Included in the three-part cattle fraud scheme he pleaded guilty to in November 2015:

“Nelson also schemed to remove identification from cattle that was owned by others but placed in his care to graze. Nelson removed identification tags from 646 head of cattle that belonged to others, and commingled these cattle with his own and with those owned by his neighbor and landlord, in order to sell livestock undetected. He sold those cattle for his own benefit, for a total loss to three victims of $124,000.” (BBM)
Braymer Man Sentenced for $262,000 Cattle Fraud

If this is what he did again, how did he think he was going to get away with it?

It’s also pretty incredible to me that he would have been only 18 years old when the fraud first began.
Braymer Man Sentenced for $262,000 Cattle Fraud

I thought the same thing. He was very young when convicted. I'm from the area and I don't remember many young men having such large farms unless it was a family farm. It's also incredible that after his conviction he seems to have gone back into the cattle business again...

I think many of the cattle they were checking on were either dead or gone (sold). Diemel hire many farms to raise cattle for them for sale/slaughter.
I agree. I think maybe they suspected something. They arrived at the farm so the owner wouldn't have time to cover up any illegal activity. Something went wrong and the truck was driven back by the suspect and their accomplice and made to look like it was abandoned.

I thought the same thing. He was very young when convicted. I'm from the area and I don't remember many young men having such large farms unless it was a family farm. It's also incredible that after his conviction he seems to have gone back into the cattle business again...

This is my exact thought. I’m only a couple hours away and I haven’t ever seen anything like this. It’s always a family outfit. And how/why is he trusted in the business again? Or are out of towners/staters the only ones dealing with him?

This is my exact thought. I’m only a couple hours away and I haven’t ever seen anything like this. It’s always a family outfit. And how/why is he trusted in the business again? Or are out of towners/staters the only ones dealing with him?

I know. People in the community had to know he was in business again, and I doubt they did business with him. Everyone knows everyone in these small communities. I'm sure if he was convicted at such a young age for fraud, he must be a very good talker. Why else would he be doing such large transactions as a teen? Likely, how he was able to get into again successfully.

From the press briefing (not all word for word):

1. The rental truck was processed when first found;

2. Searched warrants have been served;

3. Searches are still being conducted in both Clinton and Caldwell counties;

4. Investigators are currently searching the area which is behind us at this time. They are checking for buildings, ponds, and waste piles. We are just looking everywhere we can to try and see if we can find the brothers ... :(;

5. We will have another press release [I believe he meant “briefing”] here at 4:30 PM Friday.

Q & A:
1. There are multiple searches being conducted.

2. Q. What specifically are you looking for? What lead you to this particular property?
A. We are just trying to find anything that might be related to them being here.
Q. Have you found anything so far?
A. No.

3. Q. How many different areas have you been searching?
A. Can’t say exactly. There have been so many searches over the last few days.

4. Q. Do you know if they were doing business at this particular property?
A. This was one of them the family lead the Caldwell county deputies to because they were supposed to be doing business here amongst the other properties across the state.

5. Q. Can you talk about some of the resources you have here on the ground? Are you getting any more in?
A. Like the press release said, we have a major crime squad formed. We are a small county, and due to the limited resources we have, we are getting help from other departments. We do have the adequate amount of help.

6. Q. What do you want the public to know?
A. That we are taking this seriously. We are trying to find the brothers. We are in constant communication with the family. They know what’s going on. They are in the loop. We hope to get a good resolution to this. We really do. But we are making sure we do a thorough job.

7. Q. Is there any indication something [inaudible] happened to the brothers?
A. Not at this point.

8. Q. Have you found any of their belongings, their phones, outside of their rental vehicle?
A. Not at this time.

9. Q. Is it believed they are the ones who drove the truck to Holt?
A. Um, that, at this time, the investigators are still working on that.

10. Q. Is there hope that they could still be found alive?
A. We are holding out, we are holding out, you know, but we don’t know, we don’t know.

11. Q. Do you know if anything was found inside the truck?
A. I can’t tell you that because the investigators are working on that.
Thanks for posting all that, I can't see the video or most of the articles so really appreciate you taking the time to write it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther