MO - Randy Lande for raping 8yo girl, Independence, 2011

Texas Mist--I'm not sure about Independence but you are right. It does come up far more than other places, it seems. And I don't concentrate on it (in fact I didn't start this thread). Is it LE catching the bad guys (wouldn't apply here), demographics, religion, something cultural, something lacking in education, the justice system, vigilant reporting?

Independence has a long history of Mormonism and many other Christian churches are very active in the area. I've read that the schools are great and children's services are surely up to par. Is it a backlash against celibacy or church creeds that are not easily achieved--that fail to recognize and validate human frailty? Is sex a taboo that causes it to be even more tempting?

I wonder if statistics would back this up.

Any theories?

http://www.childrensdefense.org/chi...s/2011/children-in-the-states-factsheets.html

This is an excellent "scorecard" on how each state is doing concerning children's issues. Just click on the state of your choice and you can see all sorts of interesting statistics. For instance; a child is abused every two hours in MO but every 45 minutes in OR. I don't know if any answers are held in this report but each person can surely draw some conclusions.

The Children's Defense Fund is an absolutely fabulous advocate for every possible issue pertaining to children; poverty, health, family, education, crime, abuse, mortality, teen pregnancy, etc.

Oh this poor sweet baby - what a monster walked into her life. How did ____ not notice he wasn't in her bed all night? How could he drive _____ to work and she didn't notice blood on his hands? Surprising that Mr. & Mrs._____ didn't beat the life right out of him!

I'm amazed that the LEOs didn't shove that 20 pack of beer in his "bottom", along with the ''one last cigarette'' after finding an 8 year old so seriously injured.

Bless her little heart.

Oh this poor sweet baby - what a monster walked into her life. How did ____ not notice he wasn't in her bed all night? How could he drive _____ to work and she didn't notice blood on his hands? Surprising that Mr. & Mrs._____ didn't beat the life right out of him!

I'm amazed that the LEOs didn't shove that 20 pack of beer in his "bottom", along with the ''one last cigarette'' after finding an 8 year old so seriously injured.

Bless her little heart.

I thought it happened after he took her to work.

Once again, I think reporting is a little confusing. I got the impression that the attack went on for for a while and there was a good bit of time spent looking for the crying child. That part really confuses me as how hard can it be to find a child in a family home?

This case reminds me so much of the rape and murder of the little Roseburg, OR girl by a visiting family teen, Dustin Wallace [we have a thread]. He too went into the child's bedroom and attacked her. He continued to rape her even after she stopped breathing. I think this child, also, came very very close to losing consciousness due to lack of oxygen.

I think they've updated this article:

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-acc...cords-show-20110204,0,5673772.story?track=rss

FWIW, this article seems a bit insipid to me. Yes children are resilient but we're not talking about being touched quickly in the toy aisle. This was a vicious life-changing event. And I seriously doubt that Lande is going to get "help".

I thought it happened after he took her to work.

The child said (in the warrant/police report) it happened all night long, it started in one room, then he moved her to another room. (there was evidence in 2 bedrooms & a bathroom).

I'm also shaky on the homeowners running around looking for a crying child, didn't it say somewhere that the Mr & Mrs who found her, slept in the living room? It's hard to imagine that no one heard anything until the next day... I sleep so lightly the cat walking thru the room wakes me.

Chicana you may be right, it may have happened after he came back to the house. IDK.

Still surprised this perp was in one piece for the mug shot. God bless LEO.

Did I read correctly that the prison board recommended holding this and the judge completely cut his sentence after SO assessment? This crime is on her head, what was she thinking?

Missizzy you're right about that new article. Did you read the comment by a survivor?

The only thing that will cure this POC is a bullet. He doesn't want to be cured after all, all he did was touch her gently, probably has no idea how she was so traumatized - something that happened after he left her, undoubtedly. <<sarcasm alert>>MOO.

What's the deal with Independence MO? That area sure seems to come up regularly w/ child *advertiser censored* & pedo arrests.

And the child sex assaults seem to be so brutally horrific. :(

TM, you read my mind. No offense to anyone living in that area, but when Kelsey was murdered by that I found a heck alot of RSO's in that area. Yes, they also looked at him for Kara as well.

Gotta go with TLcox on this one. The brutality. The perps total lack of remorse. The lenient sentence. The custody of his own kids.

I mean come on with this BS. This poor baby. Poor, poor baby. Times I read such horrendous, evil things reaffirms me being "the overprotective, nut job, if you date me it's a date you don't need to know my child, only my parents watch my child, no, no, no sleepovers for you kid, no your dad's new girlfriend's ex husband tried to kill her and may come back while you are there, no, no, no down the shore with someone elses family" makes it quite alright. Not for my poor child, but unfortunately I know how da*n quick something like that can happen.

Sorry for the rant. My guilt for being overprotective far outweighs the guilt I would have if something happened like this to my child.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_110291939045781

Justice for the Victims of Randy Lande

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/news/crime/facebook-page-created-for-victims-of-convicted-sex-offender

At 4:40 p.m. Tuesday, there were members who say they're upset Lande slipped through the cracks of the legal system.

I'm sorry but this perp didn't slip through any cracks - he was ushered through the door by Cass County Circuit Judge Jacqueline Cook (an elected official) who refused to take the threat he posed to children seriously - after only doing 120 days in a rehab for sex offenders and the rehab recommending that Lande not get probation!!!

Given the comments at the following link, I find it very very hard to believe that the child's mother did not know about Lande's status. It sounds as if a number of neighbors knew about it and people talk:

http://discussions.fox4kc.com/20/wd...-had-attacked-before-records-show-20110204/10

I'm still very confused as to the timeline. If the abuse went on all night, where did it occur? Lande is accused of removing the child from the room where she was sleeping, thus a kidnapping charge. There's been mention of a basement. But how could the family not have heard her cries while the rapes were ongoing? To commit those atrocities, he would have had to gag her to keep her quiet, IMO. Maybe he did.

And did the mother not sneak a peek at the sleeping girls before she went to work? Did she not notice that her new boyfriend was not in her bed?

Can anyone check on the size and lay-out of this home. If I'm told that it's a 5000 square foot home with several levels, I'll be more accepting of this story. If it's a typical 1800 sq. ft. family home, I can't buy this. I find it listed as the address of a roofing company but my guess is that a roofing contractor lives there.

The address is 620 N. Pleasant St.

In rereading the Probable Cause doc, I just noticed something else. When LEOs went to the door, a woman answered, with a man standing behind her. The LEO's asked if their was a problem. The woman replied, "She was in the bedroom". OK, let's stop there. I can see someone in shock being almost speechless and just pointing. I can just barely accept the fact that they woman replied in a manner as to imply that the child was the "problem".

However, how could that woman have left that child???? When the LEOs entered the room where the child was, she was lying on a bare mattress, bleeding, convulsing and hyperventilating. How could the adults in the house not have been holding her and comforting her? Why in the heck did it take two people to answer the door? Why didn't they tell the 911 operator that they needed an ambulance for a horribly injured child?

They left that baby alone, on the bed she'd been raped on!!!! I'm sorry but I will not accept that they were preserving evidence or didn't want to touch anything. NO!! They weren't rendering aid to that child. I can't forgive them that.

I found it:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/620-N-Pleasant-St-Independence-MO-64050/2305589_zpid/

"620 N. Pleasant St. Independence, MO: This 936 square foot single family home has 2 bedrooms and 1.0 bathrooms. It is located at 620 N Pleasant St Independence, Missouri. The nearest schools are Bryant Elementary School, Clifford H. Nowlin Middle and Independence Academy."

How hard can it be to find a child in a 936 sq. ft. home? She was on a bed, in a bedroom. I realize that he strangled her and that he gave her whiskey but how could others have not heard some sounds? Unless they were high or passed out. I have a horrible suspicion that the other two little girls must have heard something too.

The address is 620 N. Pleasant St.

In rereading the Probable Cause doc, I just noticed something else. When LEOs went to the door, a woman answered, with a man standing behind her. The LEO's asked if their was a problem. The woman replied, "She was in the bedroom". OK, let's stop there. I can see someone in shock being almost speechless and just pointing. I can just barely accept the fact that they woman replied in a manner as to imply that the child was the "problem".

However, how could that woman have left that child???? When the LEOs entered the room where the child was, she was lying on a bare mattress, bleeding, convulsing and hyperventilating. How could the adults in the house not have been holding her and comforting her? Why in the heck did it take two people to answer the door? Why didn't they tell the 911 operator that they needed an ambulance for a horribly injured child?

They left that baby alone, on the bed she'd been raped on!!!! I'm sorry but I will not accept that they were preserving evidence or didn't want to touch anything. NO!! They weren't rendering aid to that child. I can't forgive them that.

They had already breached the crime scene - they (Mr) carried her out to the living room where they observed her to be bleeding from her mid section, then took her back to the bdrm where she was found!!

My chin was on the floor reading this - the perp said blah, blah and left with a 20 pack and Mr went back to the basement to call 911...

I'm still not on board that her mother was there or what the relation was to the other 2 girls (who IIRC were quite a bit older than 8, their DOB was in the police report - I no longer have the report).

What a nightmare for this baby...

The police arrived at 10:38 am and Lande had already left. The PC says that he had taken someone (presumably the child's mother) to work, "earlier in the day" in her car. The children had celebrated a birthday party the night before and three little girls, aged 11, 4, and 8 (the victim) slept in a bedroom with bunk beds. The victim must have been on the bottom bunk as that is where blood was found, as well as a number of other places.

The other couple describe a "find the child" scenario that would make sense if the house was bigger. I understand that Lande was most likely deflecting them away from where she was but how could they have not known she was in the back bedroom with Lande? The other man went to the basement and contacted someone else (whited out) and she wasn't there. That's when Lande walked out of the back bedroom and said he was "tired of this sxxx", grabbed the bloody bedding and a case of beer and left. The other adult male went to the basement and called 911--possibly as he didn't want Lande to know he was calling?

The child did very clearly state that the rapes had occurred all night. Being that the child's mother went to work in the morning, where exactly did the night time rapes occur? Where were Lande and the mother sleeping? Is it possible that she was passed out and it happened right next to her on the bed? That seems unlikely as she was able to get up and go to work. Or did she leave very very early in the morning and the rapes began after that? 3 or 4 am would seem like night to a child.

Lande was charged with kidnapping as he did remove the child from the bedroom where she'd been sleeping. The other couple was in the living room and presumably Lande and his girlfriend were in the back bedroom, where police found the child. The only other possibility that I see is that the rapes occurred outside, in the bathroom, or in the basement during the night and moved into the back bedroom when the mother left.

ETA: I just noticed that the Probable Cause states that the crimes are believed to have occurred between 0600 and 1050 hours on Feb. 3rd. I wonder if 6 am is the time the mother went to work. Either the rapes occurred somewhere in secret during the night or after the mother left at 6 am. It's entirely possible that if the child was woken up in the dark, given whiskey and brutally raped, she'd say it was all night long. I'm sure it felt interminable.

When Lande was charged with the earlier rape and went to trial in 2008, wouldn't they have taken DNA? I wonder how long matches take. I'm surprised that nothing has come up. Maybe it's because he chose very young victims and threatened them not to tell. After all, the other victim waited 20 years.

I've wondered about her. Lande must have been someone close as 5 year olds aren't known for remembering random names. Or she could have done a good deal of sleuthing to find him. I would think a child would certainly remember the rape but not a full name. It kills me to think of how that young woman must be reeling from this news.

http://www.examiner.net/news/x188778408/Sex-offender-allegedly-strikes-again

The comments here are very interesting. Also, there is some speculation that the reporter who wrote this piece and revealed the judge's name has been fired. Really?? Isn't the judge's name public information?

Just as is reported by the locals weighing in, our state also has no restrictions for where sex offenders can live. Ashland has a house with 5 (I believe) boarders who are all RSOs. It is adjacent to one of our elementary schools and parents have not been happy. According to the Police Chief, however, there is nothing that can be done. I have very mixed feelings about where RSOs can and can't live. I'd like them to be in homes where they can be checked on rather than under a bridge. We also have to remember that only the honest ones stay where they are supposed to.

I haven't read about any probation officer in this case. If there is one, was Lande checking in? Was he following his restrictions? Had he absconded?

I've wondered about her. Lande must have been someone close as 5 year olds aren't known for remembering random names. Or she could have done a good deal of sleuthing to find him. I would think a child would certainly remember the rape but not a full name. It kills me to think of how that young woman must be reeling from this news.

This poor woman. My heart breaks for her. There's the "What if's?"

Everyone is different and five is young so I would say indeed close or at least once removed. We don't know when she came to some sort of "terms" if you will. Sometimes you do and stuff it back down. It never seems to fail though when you think of another child. Bam. It comes flooding back. You go into protection mode. Well I'd think most people.

Oh definately if the poor woman 20 years later relived that you would sleuth him. I know I would, but didn't have to.

Heaven forbid then you're told "It happened but it was someone else". Just me? Nope. Nope. Nope. Yeah they look alike. Yeah one is a Junior and one a Senior and one is a in-law. I know who the he*l I'm talking about.

Sorry. Rant. Triggers.

Point blank you have a sleepover at your house I don't give a fig if the men in the house are sex offenders or not. Keep an eye on these kids. I don't care if someone knew or didn't know. Check on these kids. They're kids.

Those other two little girls must be scared out of their wits. I believe they heard something.

Children. Sleepovers. People in and out. In fact not just men. Watch who is in and out. Watch your kids.

And I've got to wonder who's living in the basement. I've been checking out Lande all day. Turns out that a family member owns the storage units or at least lives on the property. Looks as if a sibling might still live there, someone with quite a lengthy record too.

From what I can tell Lande has a large number of children and/or stepchildren. That worries me greatly.

And Filly, pack it on up and move on if there are triggers here.....please. Take care of yourself.

Thanks for clearing up the girls ages. The report stated the attacks took place between Feb 2 and Feb 3 - they later add the time frame of 0600 to 1050 (The call to LE of a sexual attack was placed at or around 1038.

So LC age 8, LB age 4 (8-06) and DP age 11 (12-09), were all in the same room having a sleep over. It doesn't appear that LC lives in the residence, as Mr_____ said she spent the night with LB and DP, after a Birthday party the night before.

That sick &^%$ began the assault in the bedroom where the 3 girls were sleeping!!! WTH? Lande got braver after getting off for the prior assault - committing these acts with all those other people sleeping so close by... I'm wondering why at 1030 AM they had to wake-up Mr and Mrs____ - LC had not been noticed to be missing??? Were the other kids still asleep?

The woman Lande drove to work is the home owner.

Lande told LE that LC came into his room and laid next to him - yes, he is just that irresistible to young children, they hunt him down.

In that whole report there is no mention of LE speaking with LC's parents or guardians!? or them being at the house or the hospital...

There must be more children out there who he has attacked, no way do I believe he went all those years and only assaulted two children. LC being fearful for her life and the first known assault taking place at knifepoint - how many more???

I also wonder if he had planned on murdering LC - the extent of her injuries, choking her until she passed out and telling Mr & Mrs___ she was not in that bedroom....

I'm going to go disinfect my eyeballs now. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://www.examiner.net/news/x188778408/Sex-offender-allegedly-strikes-again

The comments here are very interesting. Also, there is some speculation that the reporter who wrote this piece and revealed the judge's name has been fired. Really?? Isn't the judge's name public information?

Just as is reported by the locals weighing in, our state also has no restrictions for where sex offenders can live. Ashland has a house with 5 (I believe) boarders who are all RSOs. It is adjacent to one of our elementary schools and parents have not been happy. According to the Police Chief, however, there is nothing that can be done. I have very mixed feelings about where RSOs can and can't live. I'd like them to be in homes where they can be checked on rather than under a bridge. We also have to remember that only the honest ones stay where they are supposed to.

I haven't read about any probation officer in this case. If there is one, was Lande checking in? Was he following his restrictions? Had he absconded?

Last page, last paragraph - Land admitted that he is a RSO in the state of MO and to having a State Probation and parole officer. He stated he was convicted in Casse Co of the SO and served 120 days.

Can an elected official be fired? I thought they had to be recalled (or they could resign)?

She hasn't gone anywhere...

The following are O/T but still interesting as it is happening in Casse Co.

http://www.demo-mo.com/2011/02/04/12627/judge-takes-young-motion-under.html

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2010/11/herschel_young_assault_teen_boy_kiss_him.php

http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/01/herschel_young_cass_county_com.php

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back