GUILTY MO - Sandra Fugate, 32, shot to death, Hannibal, 15 April 2010

The driver “said ‘That thing I told you about he told me he did it this morning,’” the witness quotes the driver as saying.

“I asked her what thing and she said the thing we were talking about before he did himself this morning,” the witness continued. “I asked her what she meant and she said he killed her.”

seems to me like the 'driver' witness was in cohoots with him beforehand if this conversation was accurately reported (possibly a mistress?)

OR he was previously blabbing to friends about how he wanted to kill her and no one took him seriously (!)

or both

OMG...and then he wrote all this about how much he loved on her his facebook and missed her etc....sounds like he was really trying to cover it up as long as he could...wow, how sad...

can you link to his FB please? I can't find it

wow.

i guess i was right on in my original guessing......

in an older post on her FB from 4/7 she is worrying as duane was not feeling well and one of her friends said he has the marraige jitters, in a teasing kind of way...but it all sounds very sweet and she last wrote about how excited she was that the wedding was one week away...
so sad...what the H happened??

This is so sad!
In the comments from that 4/7 post someone stated that not only did he have the marriage bug, but he also has the 9 month flu bug. She said this twice. I wonder is SF was pregnant?

his facebook link as well as hers are on post #11, not sure how to report them...

have read some of the comments from some of thneir friends as well...there was no indication from anyone that he could have had anything to do with this at all, the arrest came as a big shock apparently...

Unrevealed motive
Hannibal police have not discussed details or a motive, but family members of Fugate have speculated about what led to the shooting.

In the probable cause statement, a witness told police that “Duane made the comment that ‘S---‘s going to hit the fan soon,’” indicating that he allegedly had planned to kill Fugate.

“This isn’t something that just happened,” said Feleicia Bunte, a cousin of Fugate. “I believe fully in my heart that he had plans to do this. It was just a matter of where and when.”

“Somebody sensed something ahead of time,” added an aunt, Esther Mudd.
Family members also have been told about possible motives, including that Pettey had been cheating on Fugate by dating a woman in Pike County for several weeks and that he had downloaded child *advertiser censored* on Fugate’s home computer.

Two family members said they believe Pettey owned the gun that was used to kill Fugate, but kept it at a relative’s house because Fugate despised weapons and didn’t want one in the house.

None of the allegations have been proven and no documents have been released to authenticate the claims.

“Until I see the facts, I’m not going to believe anything,” Bunte said.
Police have not returned calls to the Courier-Post seeking comment.

Court records show that the only previous scrapes Pettey had with the law were minor traffic offenses when he lived in Piedmont and Troy.

Marion County Coroner Peggy Porter said Monday that Fugate died of “several” gunshots to the “upper” part of the body. An autopsy was done Friday in Columbia, but complete results will not be available for several weeks.

Fugate’s mother, Mary Patterson, found the body in the basement of the home Fugate shared with Pettey at 3611 Iowa Ave. Fugate’s daughter from a previous relationship was not home at the time.

Pettey was arrested without incident at 5:02 p.m. April 16. On Monday, he was in the Marion County Jail on $1 million cash-only bond, with a court appearance set for Friday.

Still stunned
A charge of first-degree murder indicates premeditation, which makes Fugate’s death all the harder on family members.

In the days leading up to her death, Fugate gave the impression that she couldn’t have been happier.

“It was shocking to hear about Sandi,” Mudd said. “We were hearing about bullet holes in the wall. That’s the most horrifying thing to learn about – that she was murdered by the man who was supposed to love her. To think of what was going through her head at the time is unimaginable.”

“Nobody in the family that I know of had seen this coming,” said another aunt, Mitzy Simpson. “It’s not just shocking, it’s horrifying. I feel sick to my stomach because I shook that man’s hand and said ‘Welcome to the family.’”

“I was blindsided,” Bunte added. “It was a little too much. You couldn’t expect that from anyone.”

Family members have found one measure of condolence in the fact that Fugate seemed to be unaware of what Pettey allegedly had in mind.

Twice in the last four days of her life, Fugate wrote to friends on the Facebook Website that she looked forward to dancing following her April 17 wedding at First Assembly of God Church in Hannibal.

The day before she died, Fugate made similar comments to the stylists who did her hair and promised to put on the finishing touches Saturday morning.

“She was telling the girls she couldn’t wait to get on the plane and fly with her husband to Cancun,” Simpson said.

Funeral services for Fugate were set for 10 a.m. Tuesday at the James O’Donnell Funeral Home.

“There are so many questions that will probably never be answered,” Bunte said.

“There’s nothing anybody can say or do to comfort a family when a family member has been murdered,” Mudd said. “I hope and pray you don’t have to go through this.”

Source: http://www.hannibal.net/features/x932344621/Witnesses-say-Hannibal-man-confessed-to-killing-fiancee

I've heard the best man was at the house to and was shot but it hasn't been reported in the media yet. Sandy's funeral is today...

This story just really gets to me...mostly due to FB comments in the days prior, when everything seems normal and excited and nervous, like it should be before a wedding...nothing that seems sinister...if some of the rumors in above article are true, this guy is a real creep, but she did not know it, or think he was...how tragic...

i havent read ALL the comments to this post but...on his facebook...it says that his uncle has died...then there is an exclamation mark after it. strange.....so what is this "lover of the day" fuunction we have going on there?

From August 2012:

http://www.whig.com/story/19387756/pettey-sentenced-to-life-in-prison-for-killing-fiancee

Calvin Duane Pettey was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole Monday afternoon for the April 2010 shooting death of his financee, Sandra Fugate, two days before their wedding...

Patterson still wants Marion County authorities to charge Rebecca Kirk, who admitted to being romantically involved with Pettey during the two-plus months leading up to Fugate's death and knowing about the murder plot...

The June trial lasted three days and featured about 70 exhibits and 27 witnesses. The jury deliberated for a little more than three hours before finding Pettey guilty.

From October 2013:

http://www.bowlinggreentimes.com/frankford-woman-sentenced-for-role-in-fugate-murder/

Rebecca Kirk pleaded guilty on Aug. 19 to two felony counts of tampering with physical evidence in a felony prosecution in connection to the April 2010 death of Sandra Fugate.

Kirk was sentenced Monday to serve two concurrent four-year prison stints for her charges...

Kirk took the gun used to kill Fugate from Pettey’s van shortly after the woman’s death. Kirk also removed ammunition and the clothing Pettey wore during the murder... Kirk attempted to destroy a .22-caliber rifle by taking the gun apart and tossing the barrel and trigger mechanism into the Salt River in Ralls County. Kirk then burned the clothing and stock of the rifle

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back