Mongolian couple die of bubonic plague after eating marmot

nyonge

Former Member
Reaction score
Mongolian couple die of bubonic plague after eating marmot
A Mongolian couple have died of the bubonic plague after eating raw marmot kidney, triggering a quarantine that left tourists stranded in a remote region for days.

The ethnic Kazakh couple died on 1 May in Mongolia’s westernmost province of Bayan-Ulgii, which borders Russia and China.

A six-day quarantine was declared in the region, preventing nine tourists . from leaving.

Sebastian Pique, 24, an American Peace Corps volunteer who has lived in the region for two years, said he and the tourists were invited to the local governor’s office on Friday to be informed about the situation.

“After the quarantine [was announced], not many people – even locals – were in the streets for fear of catching the disease,” he said.

Authorities have warned people against eating raw marmot meat because it can carry Yersinia pestis, the plague germ. Some people ignore the warnings as they believe that consuming the innards of the large rodent is good for their health.

Each year in Mongolia at least one person dies of the plague, mostly due to consuming such meat, according to the US National Center for Zoonotic Disease.

Last edited:
It reminds me of CONTAGION, also known as the "Gwyneth Paltrow cheats on Matt Damon and kills us all" movie.

I want to feel bad for the couple who died of the bubonic plague, but I'm having trouble moving past the idea of eating a raw rat that's known to carry said sickness...

I wonder how much their dinner cost? Perhaps it is something exotic, plus health benefits

I thought bubonic plague was defeated centuries ago.... o_O
Clearly I'm an ignorant... :(

Nope. People in the US get it to. I thought it was fairly easily treated with antibiotics though and not easily spread now so I am sort of surprised by the quarantining tourists part. I guess I better finish that aubible book on the black death I'm on right now to learn more. lol

Not only do people still get it in the US, they have had to have amputations. It is carried by rural rodents primarily in CA, AZ, CO, and NM. It is cured by antibiotics, but if the diagnosis is delayed (and it often is) it can cause serious damage. It is rare and contact with these rodents are uncommon. Often dogs are vectors and the patient doesn't know they've had contact with the rodent which will delay the diagnosis.

In 2015, someone in Colorado died from plague. The good news: There are only about 17 cases a year in the US.

I'm just glad roof rats, mice and Norway rats no longer carry plague in the US.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back