Mothers Who Kill Their Children

beesy said:
Yep, Goody's always right! [url="http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_3_2v.gif"]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_3_2v.gif[/url]
o·pine

[size=-1]VERB: [/size]
[font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]o·pined[/size][/font] , [font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]o·pin·ing[/size][/font] , [font=arial,sans-serif][size=-1]o·pines[/size][/font]
[size=-1]tr. [/size]
To state as an opinion.
[size=-1]intr. [/size]
To express an opinion: [size=+0]opined on the defendant's testimony.[/size]
Very good. Miss Beesy has learned a new word today. Actually several. I am sure they will improve her vocab. Give her a sharper image, etc, etc.:blowkiss:

Goody said:
I am not grandma. She was slow. Her excuse was that she was old. I don't have an excuse but I am still slow. LOL!

I sent my girlfriend a "happy birthday grandma" card when she turned 40. She was not amused but her dad was! :croc:

cami said:
I sent my girlfriend a "happy birthday grandma" card when she turned 40. She was not amused but her dad was! :croc:
hahahahahahhahaha. Your "grandma" is probably a bit like my "heifer" endearments.

Goody said:
Very good. Miss Beesy has learned a new word today. Actually several. I am sure they will improve her vocab. Give her a sharper image, etc, etc.:blowkiss:
Yes, one can always learn from one's elders. :blowkiss: What are the other words I learned :waitasec:
I forget, does this relate to me: "Piney Needles--not!"

Goody said:
hahahahahahhahaha. Your "grandma" is probably a bit like my "heifer" endearments.

LOL, we're not that nice. We just call each other "cows". Snarky cow, mad cow, daft cow or just "you cow"

Goody said:
Boy, I can relate to this! LOL! In reading your post, I wondered if Darlie might have felt abandoned by her children in some way, if maybe that could have caused her to lash out at them. Sometimes the roles of parent and child get reversed. I would think that might be esp in cases where Mom is a bit of a prima donna and the center of attention.

I have also thought Darlie has the symptoms of someone who was abused, but couldn't it have also just been from the fallouts of divorce, moving so far away from her extended family, having a new stepfather she might not have liked? If she had been sexually abused, it wouldn't have to be the stepfather. Many girls are abused by neighbors and older kids in the neighborhood, cousins, etc. I would definitely like to know more about her life in PA, her life in Lubbock, and how her friends from high school and at varying points in her adult life saw her. We have some of the latter but not a lot.
Feeling abandoned by your kids would indicate a total reversal of adult and child roles. That is symptomatic of borderline personality disorder because they don't have a core sense of self.

I suspect that there was alot of abandonment in Darlie's early years. I don't see Darlie K. as someone who would be emotionally available. Divorce, new step parents and moving can contribute to that. However, most women do not kill their kids, so I believe that something very traumatic must have happened to Darlie somewhere along the line that disrupted her progression from child to normal, healthy adult. It could easily be something her parents knew nothing about; often when kids have parents that are not emotionally available, they will go underground with the abuse that happens at the hands of strangers.

I have also wondered about moms who name their daughters for themselves. It is very unusual.

Mirielle said:
Feeling abandoned by your kids would indicate a total reversal of adult and child roles. That is symptomatic of borderline personality disorder because they don't have a core sense of self
I agree with this. Darlie was, maybe still is, very immature. Her soft little girl voice is one clue
I suspect that there was alot of abandonment in Darlie's early years. I don't see Darlie K. as someone who would be emotionally available. Divorce, new step parents and moving can contribute to that.
You're right. :twocents: It's very hard for a child to feel that something or someone will not always be there for them, even if that belief is incorrect.
However, most women do not kill their kids, so I believe that something very traumatic must have happened to Darlie somewhere along the line that disrupted her progression from child to normal, healthy adult. It could easily be something her parents knew nothing about; often when kids have parents that are not emotionally available, they will go underground with the abuse that happens at the hands of strangers.
Now this, I don't agree with. I get very tired of people saying something awful had to have happened to Darlie to make her kill her boys. Perhaps it's something we, as women and mothers must use to deal with it. Right here on this forum, we have Heart of Texas, who is very sweet and was abused horribly as a child. I'm not saying Darlie was not abused. This has never been proven so I have nothing to go on. However, I do know that Darlie was very self-centered and a very inattentive mother. She was prone to histrionics and did not like to share attention. I truly believe in the "I'll Show You Darin" theory. Supposedly in the fight that evening, there was talk of a separation. Perhaps she threatened Darin that if she couldn't have the boys, she'd kill herself or them. He met her dare. She said sizzling on the sofa, then made her final decision. This is IMO of course. I can even hear Darlie screaming at Darin "see what you made me do"? This could explain Darin helping her with the coverup and possibly more.

"I get very tired of people saying something awful had to have happened to Darlie to make her kill her boys... However, I do know that Darlie was very self-centered and a very inattentive mother. She was prone to histrionics and did not like to share attention. I truly believe in the "I'll Show You Darin" theory."

I agree, Beesy. Darlie, imo, carried the term "needy" to a level that most of us can never understand. Huge egos and the desire for attention don't necessarily spring from abuse. Some people are just born that way. My husband and I have two sons, different as night and day. Sometimes I look at my first-born and wonder, "Where the hell did you come from?"

We know D & D had an argument that night. We know they talked of separating. What we don't know are the ugly, hateful words that probably passed between them...parents in that position often use their children as leverage. It's not uncommon for a parent to say, "I'd rather see them dead than let you have them."

I think Darlie followed through on that threat.

Has anyone not noticed that Darlie appeared to favor Devon (the oldest) and Darin seemed to favor Damon (the youngest). I see this in almost all of the pictures.

I'm can see the boys being used as threats in their separation argument. How it all happened still can't figure.

justice2 said:
Has anyone not noticed that Darlie appeared to favor Devon (the oldest) and Darin seemed to favor Damon (the youngest). I see this in almost all of the pictures.
I think it's the reverse. Darin and Devon and Darlie and Damon. She referred to Damon as still being a "mama's boy". She seemed to have more trouble with the rowdier Devon, which is most likely the reason she attacked him first.

I'm can see the boys being used as threats in their separation argument. How it all happened still can't figure.
Well, if we go with the "I'll Show You Darin Theory", neither parent expected things to go that far. There are many Darlie reasons which brought her down that night. IMO Darlie suspected Darin and Dana(her sister) of having something going on, whether it was true or not. Even Darin said it took him longer than it should have to take her home that night. Was Darlie simmering all that while, ready to scream at him when he returned? That easily could have been turned into a life-changing fight. Playing tug-of-war with the kids became the focus. And there originates the "I'll Show You Theory".

cami said:
LOL, we're not that nice. We just call each other "cows". Snarky cow, mad cow, daft cow or just "you cow"
That is what TJ calls me. I have a cow bank. So I guess you could say I am a cow and proud of it! hahahahahahahah

Mirielle said:
Feeling abandoned by your kids would indicate a total reversal of adult and child roles. That is symptomatic of borderline personality disorder because they don't have a core sense of self.

I suspect that there was alot of abandonment in Darlie's early years. I don't see Darlie K. as someone who would be emotionally available. Divorce, new step parents and moving can contribute to that. However, most women do not kill their kids, so I believe that something very traumatic must have happened to Darlie somewhere along the line that disrupted her progression from child to normal, healthy adult. It could easily be something her parents knew nothing about; often when kids have parents that are not emotionally available, they will go underground with the abuse that happens at the hands of strangers.

I have also wondered about moms who name their daughters for themselves. It is very unusual.
Agreed, but Lucille Ball did and she raised a pretty healthy kid.

We have to remember that Darlie was only 27 when this crime happened. In many ways she was still a kid herself, probably emotionally, for sure. I think the cake in Devon's face at his birthday party for disobeying her is a good example of her immaturity and lack of skill in parenting. Many kids reaising kids fall into traps like that and often end up with good kids in spite of it. I don't think role reversal is necessarily indicative of a personalty disorder, but I do agree that it could be. Something was definitely off with Darlie and I think when we discover what it is, we might very well find a personality disorder. The brutal stabbings of two kids is so far beyond the pale that nothing explains it that allows Darlie to be "normal" but "temporarily insane", only to be "normal" again afterwards. Whatever is at the core of this crime is not pretty and probably does hinge on some sort of disorder.

beesy said:
I agree with this. Darlie was, maybe still is, very immature. Her soft little girl voice is one clue
You're right. :twocents: It's very hard for a child to feel that something or someone will not always be there for them, even if that belief is incorrect.
Now this, I don't agree with. I get very tired of people saying something awful had to have happened to Darlie to make her kill her boys. Perhaps it's something we, as women and mothers must use to deal with it. Right here on this forum, we have Heart of Texas, who is very sweet and was abused horribly as a child. I'm not saying Darlie was not abused. This has never been proven so I have nothing to go on. However, I do know that Darlie was very self-centered and a very inattentive mother. She was prone to histrionics and did not like to share attention. I truly believe in the "I'll Show You Darin" theory. Supposedly in the fight that evening, there was talk of a separation. Perhaps she threatened Darin that if she couldn't have the boys, she'd kill herself or them. He met her dare. She said sizzling on the sofa, then made her final decision. This is IMO of course. I can even hear Darlie screaming at Darin "see what you made me do"? This could explain Darin helping her with the coverup and possibly more.
Beesy, you need to read Ann Rule's Bitter Harvest about Dr. Deborah Green who burned her upscale home down with her children in it to stop her husband from divorcing her. Didn't work but she was desperate.

Mary456 said:
"I get very tired of people saying something awful had to have happened to Darlie to make her kill her boys... However, I do know that Darlie was very self-centered and a very inattentive mother. She was prone to histrionics and did not like to share attention. I truly believe in the "I'll Show You Darin" theory."

I agree, Beesy. Darlie, imo, carried the term "needy" to a level that most of us can never understand. Huge egos and the desire for attention don't necessarily spring from abuse. Some people are just born that way. My husband and I have two sons, different as night and day. Sometimes I look at my first-born and wonder, "Where the hell did you come from?"

We know D & D had an argument that night. We know they talked of separating. What we don't know are the ugly, hateful words that probably passed between them...parents in that position often use their children as leverage. It's not uncommon for a parent to say, "I'd rather see them dead than let you have them."

I think Darlie followed through on that threat.
If she did, she was sure jumping the gun because most women who do that, do that after a long separation or a seriousl one at the very least. Neither D or D moved out. Divorce was not imminent. It was just something they threw around to control each other. Not saying it couldn't be, but I need more evidence to tell me that it was.

beesy said:
I think it's the reverse. Darin and Devon and Darlie and Damon. She referred to Damon as still being a "mama's boy". She seemed to have more trouble with the rowdier Devon, which is most likely the reason she attacked him first.

Well, if we go with the "I'll Show You Darin Theory", neither parent expected things to go that far. There are many Darlie reasons which brought her down that night. IMO Darlie suspected Darin and Dana(her sister) of having something going on, whether it was true or not. Even Darin said it took him longer than it should have to take her home that night. Was Darlie simmering all that while, ready to scream at him when he returned? That easily could have been turned into a life-changing fight. Playing tug-of-war with the kids became the focus. And there originates the "I'll Show You Theory".
Dana was engaged. Only 17 and already engaged. Plus she was living with her boyfriend and just staying at Darlie's while he was out of town and she was working with Darin. I don't see the jealousy thing going on there. Absolutely nothing to support it.

Goody said:
Dana was engaged. Only 17 and already engaged. Plus she was living with her boyfriend and just staying at Darlie's while he was out of town and she was working with Darin. I don't see the jealousy thing going on there. Absolutely nothing to support it.
There was some talk of Darin and Dana comforting each other TOO much at one of the court proceedings in Springer's book(maybe others as well), "cuddling" is the word used. I've referred to the many Darlie reasons which crashed down on her that night. I'm NOT saying there was an affair, but a few sparks were all that was needed to ignite her. We know there was an agrument when Darin returned. Something started it. It could have been as simple as her fussing at him that he took too long and what was he doing or something like that. Not jealousy, but irritation maybe? Let's just say, that night, anything would have pushed her over that line we've talked about.

Goody said:
Beesy, you need to read Ann Rule's Bitter Harvest about Dr. Deborah Green who burned her upscale home down with her children in it to stop her husband from divorcing her. Didn't work but she was desperate.
Ok, thanks, hadn't heard about this case before. I love Ann Rule. Can you imagine how she felt when she realized she'd worked alone with Ted Bundy? Wonder if she was jealous that he didn't consider her his type? Ok, tacky, but it's a thought.

beesy said:
Ok, thanks, hadn't heard about this case before. I love Ann Rule. Can you imagine how she felt when she realized she'd worked alone with Ted Bundy? Wonder if she was jealous that he didn't consider her his type? Ok, tacky, but it's a thought.
The way it turned out, I am sure she is GLAD she wasn't his type. LOL!

beesy said:
There was some talk of Darin and Dana comforting each other TOO much at one of the court proceedings in Springer's book(maybe others as well), "cuddling" is the word used. I've referred to the many Darlie reasons which crashed down on her that night. I'm NOT saying there was an affair, but a few sparks were all that was needed to ignite her. We know there was an agrument when Darin returned. Something started it. It could have been as simple as her fussing at him that he took too long and what was he doing or something like that. Not jealousy, but irritation maybe? Let's just say, that night, anything would have pushed her over that line we've talked about.
I think Dana was just a touchy,feely person, but I agree that something triggered the events of that night. I am not totally convinced that it was ALL Darlie or that she even acted alone that night, but I agree that it could have gone down that way. Still too much that we don't know.

This is all pure speculation but IF Darlie suspected something between Dana and Darin that night and IF Darin was a cad, which I'm sure he could be at times, and IF he even possibly alluded to anything with Danathat night, then I could picture rage pouring out of every pore of Darlie's body and ultimately leading up to the horrors that happened. It would also explain Darin standing by her through thick and thin for so many years, given that he probably felt some level of guilt for goading her on that night. Again, that's just speculation. And one more thought... even if Dana was engaged, she was young enough to feel a certain level of admiration for Darin, who was perceived to be the family hero in that he brought enormous riches to the table through his business acumen. If he made any kind of pass at Dana, I can see her being young enough to feel very flattered by his attention. Nobody will ever know if that's what happened but it would explain a lot of things. It wouldn't justify them, but it would explain them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back