Mr. Kyle's Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the links dreamweaver. In some of the reading it gave me renewed hope for Benjaman. It's difficult for them to put numbers into statistics for such things as dissociative amnesia and fugue, but they do tend to offer hope in the way of the use of words like "rapid" and "resolve quickly" once recovery begins to happen.

I'll take that as a good positive thought for today!

What makes Benjaman think his birthday is the same day as Michael Jackson's, only his (Ben's) birthday is 10 years earlier than Michael's? How did he know when Michael's birthday was? How does he "relate" his birthday with Michael's? I read up on Michael and he was born in Gary, Indiana, does Benjaman recall seeing Michael perform there perhaps at a club or the state fair?

What makes Benjaman think his birthday is the same day as Michael Jackson's, only his (Ben's) birthday is 10 years earlier than Michael's? How did he know when Michael's birthday was? How does he "relate" his birthday with Michael's? I read up on Michael and he was born in Gary, Indiana, does Benjaman recall seeing Michael perform there perhaps at a club or the state fair?

RK, I think that is a great area for thought/questions. The last couple weeks when I've thought of Benjaman it's been centered around his birthday and why he associated with MJ's birthday. You know, I knew MJ was from Gary, IN but I never, not once, put it in play with Benjaman feeling IN was his home state! duh me.

I hope this area is something Benjaman might feel comfortable offering his thoughts on with us.

RK, have you posted this over in the thread set up solely for questions directed to Benjaman?

What if he doesn't recall a catholic or parochial school...what if he was in a state home?

There was a home for children/orphans in Indiana that was devoted to offspring of armed services people. The records are archived and online-there are no photos however. By all accounts, this was not a pleasant place to be.

http://www.fisa-in.org/news/articles/sns_children.html

Hello everyone,

This is my first foray into the WS world, though I've been familiar with Mr. Kyle's story for a few years. This thought has been bugging me for a while so I figured I would gather the courage to post it.

I remember reading that music helps with Alzheimer's patients recovering small snippits of memory, and I was wondering if music had been tried in this case? Specifically, I'd like to see a compilation of Indiana and Colorado high school songs (if any can be found), or any songs particular to regional advertisements from the time period put together for Mr. Kyle to review. Sometimes a song is so ingrained in the memory that a person with memory loss will still just start singing along.

I tried looking for a similar suggestion, and my apologies if it's been mentioned before and I missed it. Check out this little article about the phenomena:

http://www.livescience.com/health/090224-music-memory.html

Hello everyone,

This is my first foray into the WS world, though I've been familiar with Mr. Kyle's story for a few years. This thought has been bugging me for a while so I figured I would gather the courage to post it.

I remember reading that music helps with Alzheimer's patients recovering small snippits of memory, and I was wondering if music had been tried in this case? Specifically, I'd like to see a compilation of Indiana and Colorado high school songs (if any can be found), or any songs particular to regional advertisements from the time period put together for Mr. Kyle to review. Sometimes a song is so ingrained in the memory that a person with memory loss will still just start singing along.

I tried looking for a similar suggestion, and my apologies if it's been mentioned before and I missed it. Check out this little article about the phenomena:

http://www.livescience.com/health/090224-music-memory.html

What a wonderful idea. I wonder since he believes he is 10 years older than Michael Jackson, if he likes his music? Heck, I'll make a cd if needed. anyone else, thoughts?

Hi Carol

Thanks for the welcome! :) As for the music, I was thinking of something a bit more specific than songs that would get regular airplay... he could have heard these recently. I'm thinking about those cheesy local radio and television jingles... I know there are ones that only people in my area will know because we're the people that hear them. I would have no idea what a jingle from a furniture store in Alaska sounds like, for example, but I sure do know the jingle from a store here in Ontario. Same with school slogan songs... my mother can sing the song from her alma mater, but someone who had never been to that university would have no idea what she was talking about.

These songs can pin down a person's location, at some point in their lives. This is what I had in mind... sorry if I wasn't clear with the first post!

Welcome allie1979! :)

I understand what you are talking about in regards to jingles and such.

If BK has memories of Arthur Treacher, does anyone know if they had a commercial back in the 70's or something like that? Does anyone know the best way to locate jingles used back then?

(We had Ollie Fretter appliance, he'd give you five lbs of coffee if he couldn't beat your best deal. We also had Mel Farr Superstar, it was a car lot ad out of Detroit, IIRC. And who could forget the "Faygo Redpop" commercial from yesteryear? Anyone know the areas well enough to know some ads?)

Does anyone know if Mr Kyle watches television? I am wondering if any shows like "Mr. Ed" or something from his "era" gives him any reaction or trigger any memories?

Great, I have friends in the area, and I will post this question to them and see if I can come up with something.

OT: is Faygo Redpop a regional thing? I don't remember it! I had to google it and I don't recognize the bottle. :confused:

On another note, my grandpa lived with us and was always calling me and my brother "you little hoosiers" even though we had no connection at all to Indiana! It was just a popular saying at the time. I wonder if there are jingles, recipes, landmarks that would stimulate his memory. (Perhaps that's already been thought of.)

OT: is Faygo Redpop a regional thing? I don't remember it! I had to google it and I don't recognize the bottle. :confused:

On another note, my grandpa lived with us and was always calling me and my brother "you little hoosiers" even though we had no connection at all to Indiana! It was just a popular saying at the time. I wonder if there are jingles, recipes, landmarks that would stimulate his memory. (Perhaps that's already been thought of.)

When I was a kid in Mich. we had a commercial for Faygo Redpop it was a paddleboat (or like a big river boat with the paddle thing in the back?) and they sang a song "Remember when you were a kid? Well part of you still is and that's why we make Faygo. Faygo, remembers..." We had quite a few regional commercials back in Mich. I hope someone can come up with some ideas closer to Mr. Kyles places he "remembers".

There is a commercial out of Denver for "Rocky's Auto", it drives me batty, but I don't know how long Rocky's has been around (and they don't seem to have a catchy slogan or anything like that).

Is there any way to find out if Mr. Kyle is familiar with Vernor's Ginger Ale? I don't think it's distributed far and wide and I haven't found a single bottle of it in Colorado...

Is that brand recognized by anyone of you here that isn't from Mich.?

If this is a dumb question, just ignore me. :)

Vernor's was popular around 30 years ago, as I recall. I liked it. Had a nice big bite to it. ;)

Vernor's is a good mixer~I haven't found it out here.:eek:

I can list "things I see on the way to Denver", but I don't know if it's worthwhile?

I listed some questions about landmarks and things on the question thread, in regards to CO.:blowkiss:

People in St. Louis, maybe South St Louis city area call people/each other Hoosiers and I take it to be a somewhat derogatory term - like "wow, he's such a hoosier" meaning "wow, he's such a moron/idiot." I take it to be a regional thing in that area.

There were Arthur Treachers in the St. Louis area way back.

Interesting, thanks Medusa for posting that. I always took it to mean "you little troublemakers" because he would always say it during sibling squabbles, or when he disagreed with what we were saying.

Welcome aboard allie179!

Great idea about the local music, jingles, etc.

Maybe You Tube might have some of the old jingles or local radio ads.
When I was looking for old infomercials, that's where I went.

\-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am about the same age as BK and I have no idea what Faygo Redpop is. And what is it anyway?
I grew up on the west coast, so that tells me that finding regional music, ads or jingles is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288