Ms Dhu's death in police custody in Western Australia

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by zwiebel, Aug 7, 2015.

  1. zwiebel

    zwiebel New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Native Aborginal 22-year-old Ms Dhu (first name not used out of cultural customs) died in South Hedland Police Station, Western Australia, after being held for four weeks over unpaid fines.

    She had been taken to a health Center three times after saying she felt unwell, but was discharged back to jail each time until she died during her third visit, August 4, 2014. Her death has led to widespread protests.

    Now authorities have announced a coroner's inquest will be held in November.


    Attached Files:

  2. Loading...

  3. symbah

    symbah Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Coroner Ros Fogliani delivered her findings to a packed court room today in Perth and said Ms Dhu's death could have been prevented if she had been given antibiotics, and found police acted unprofessionally and inhumanely.
    During the inquest, some police testified they thought Ms Dhu was faking illness and was coming down from drugs, while some medical staff also thought she was exaggerating.
    Coroner Fogliani said on Friday that Ms Dhu's death could have been prevented if her illness had been diagnosed days earlier.

    She said Ms Dhu's treatment was unprofessional and inhumane.
    Ms Dhu, whose first name is not used for cultural reasons, died two days after being locked up at South Hedland Police Station in August 2014 for unpaid fines totalling $3622.
    Ms Fogliani made several recommendations in her findings and also agreed to release footage showing Ms Dhu's final hours, except for vision of her moments before death.

    Some footage shows police dragging and carrying Ms Dhu's limp body to a police van.
    Another clip shows an officer pulling Ms Dhu by the wrist to sit her up before dropping her, causing Ms Dhu to hit her head.

    Earlier, Ruth Barson from the Human Rights Law Centre told reporters outside court it should be a day of reckoning.
    "The brutality of her death is inexcusable," she said
    Ms Barson said there had been a cascading series of failures by police and hospital staff.
    "She was treated in cruel and inhumane ways by those who had a duty of care to look after her," she said.
    "She was dismissed, ignored, neglected and denied her basic human rights."
    Ms Dhu's grandmother Carol Roe became emotional talking about the long wait it had been for the family.

    'Australians need to see this footage'

    More than two years a young Yamatji woman was dragged lifeless into the Hedland Health Campus in handcuffs. Her heart had already stopped by the time she was taken to the emergency room and a short time later she was pronounced dead.
    An autopsy found her death was partly caused by complications from a previous rib fracture, which became infectious and spread to her lungs, as well as from pneumonia and septicaemia.

    Yesterday her grandmother Carol Roe urged the coroner to make the footage publicly available.
    "I hope the Coroner hands down the truth. Then we will feel like there has been some justice. Then we can put my girl to rest," said Ms Roe.
    "People need to see with their own eyes how my girl was treated. All Australians need to see this footage - we all need to stand together and say enough is enough, no more Aboriginal deaths in custody."
  4. symbah

    symbah Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    The Indigenous woman Ms Dhu was subjected to “unprofessional and inhumane” treatment by Western Australian police that was “well below the standards that should ordinarily be expected” before her death in custody in 2014.
    The coroner Ros Fogliani released CCTV footage of Dhu’s time in custody, save for a final scene that showed her very close to death at hospital. Fogliani said the footage was “profoundly disturbing”.
    Her report recommended thats Western Australia should end the practice of jailing people for unpaid fines and introduce a mandatory custody notification scheme in the wake of Dhu’death.



Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice