MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, Panola County, Dec 2014 #3 *MISTRIAL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mostly a "silent stalker" on this site, but I've got to add my .02 cents here.

First I want to mention why QT went with her to the hospital when she had a cold. It wasn't because he cared about her. I highly doubt it was because she was sick, either. Whether her idea or his, it was for the pharmaceuticals. Someone needed/wanted pseudoephedrine. We know she did sell pills at least once while QT was with her.

Second, what she said unfortunately seems to be working against her, and not for her. I am certain that she was not trying to say "car wreck". According to CH's testimony, he asked what happened, and she told him that she was set on fire. He tries to explain how he was able to understand what she was saying, and when you understand him correctly it makes sense. For example, when she was coming towards him with her arms out saying, "help me, help me."

We are able to understand each other pretty well without even hearing what is said, by just going off of body language, expression, etc. Also, in the smae way taht you are albe to raed tihs snetecne (reading the whole word instead of every letter), we can interpret spoken words by just hearing main syllables. So, CH could have easily understood that she was saying "help me", just by hearing "hehhh, eee", which is probably pretty close to what she sounded like. The "l", "p", and "m" all require either tongue or lips to make the sound.

As far as him understanding her name, I think that was a similar scenario. This time he would have been close enough to also analyze her mouth movements to help him understand what she was saying. Just because no sound came out for certain letters, doesn't mean her mouth didn't still move at least a little in the attempt. So when CH says that she told him that she was set on fire, I believe that she did. If she knew that she was set on fire, she knows it was not a car wreck, and would have no reason to say that.

Now, on to the Eric/Derrick dilemma. There are several things I want to point out. First, is that with one of the other responders testimony, he states that when he asked her who did it, she said "Eric". When he asked her for his last name, she again said, "Eric". That would indicate to me that what she had initially said was the persons last name, and that would be why she repeated herself.

I saw on this thread a couple pages back where someone had said that when asked for a last name, she just shrugged her shoulders. I don't remember seeing or reading that anywhere. But if that did happen, I would think it was because she had been saying the last name, and that was her way of trying to relay that she had already told them, or that they couldn't understand it.

I'm also seeing that many don't see any relation between Eric/Derrick and Tellis. I see a huge relation between them. Most importantly being that the only two sounds which don't require lip or tongue to make are the "eh" and "i" sounds, just like in the name Tellis. If you make the "t" and "d" sounds, you'll see that they require nearly an identical movement of the tongue to the roof of the mouth. Now, if you say Eric and Tellis in your best southern drawl, you'll feel the "c" in Eric kind of roll out the back of your mouth, getting almost pushed out with the middle of your tongue, while the "s" in Tellis rolls out from mid-mouth to the tip of your tongue. So the ending sounds, while not totally similar, are not totally dissimilar either. Remember that every minute that goes by her entire respiratory system is getting more inflamed and harder for her to speak.

Sorry for writing a novel there, but its so important.

Another thing that I haven't seen many people take note of that I thought was incredibly relevant, was one of the first responders and his encounter with the black male who was looking off into the woods. He noted that when the black male was walking away he was wearing a blue top, but that at some point he removed that and was then wearing a white top. Remember it is dark, and if not directly in the light, it would be hard to distinguish between darker colors. But the white would stand out. I never saw whether they learned who that was or not. IMO it could have been Tellis, noticing that the car door was open, having a panic attack knowing that she will identify her assailant if she lives.

I’m curious as to where this trial will be held...and where the jurors will come from. I sure hope they are given a basic vocabulary test as in “what does unanimous mean”?

Retrial set for September in burned Mississippi woman case
http://www.wtok.com/content/news/Re...-burned-Mississippi-woman-case-482077041.html

BATESVILLE, Miss. (AP) - The retrial of a man charged with killing a Mississippi woman by setting her on fire has been delayed.

Panola County District Attorney John Champion said the second trial in the death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers will begin Sept. 24. It had been set for June 11.

Champion says a judge hasn't yet set a location.

Tellis is currently imprisoned in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman on an unrelated burglary charge. He's also charged with murder in a 2016 stabbing death in Monroe, Louisiana.

in bold - no location yet.

And I see my question answer - in MS State Penitentiary!

I'm mostly a "silent stalker" on this site, but I've got to add my .02 cents here.

<SNIP> <SNIP> <SNIP>

Sorry for writing a novel there, but its so important.

<SNIP> <SNIP> <SNIP>

DSMissed

Thanks for "uncloaking" and adding to the public discussion. I find your comments clear and compelling. As for writing a novel, sometimes it takes more than just a few words to explain something so complicated.

Regards,
Clouseau

Retrial set for September in burned Mississippi woman case
http://www.wtok.com/content/news/Re...-burned-Mississippi-woman-case-482077041.html

BATESVILLE, Miss. (AP) - The retrial of a man charged with killing a Mississippi woman by setting her on fire has been delayed.

Panola County District Attorney John Champion said the second trial in the death of 19-year-old Jessica Chambers will begin Sept. 24. It had been set for June 11.

Champion says a judge hasn't yet set a location.

Tellis is currently imprisoned in the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman on an unrelated burglary charge. He's also charged with murder in a 2016 stabbing death in Monroe, Louisiana.

in bold - no location yet.

And I see my question answer - in MS State Penitentiary!
Parchman, small world. That's where Roger Hentz (not to speak ill of the dead) and his arsonist-murderer brother were once incarcerated.

Best,
Clouseau

I’m curious as to where this trial will be held...and where the jurors will come from. I sure hope they are given a basic vocabulary test as in “what does unanimous mean”?
A brief lexicon for future jurors:

o Unanimous = Not Guilty
o Not Unanimous = Not Guilty
o Guilty = Not Guilty

That should about cover it.

Monday, June 11th:
*Retrial was to begin-Moved to 9/24/18 - CT - MS - Jessica Lane Chambers (19) (Dec. 8, 2014) - Quentin Verdell Tellis (27) - indicted on 1st degree capital murder & 3rd degree arson; plead not guilty;
1st trial jurors were sequestered. 10 hrs of deliberations. First trial 7-5 guilty. Ended in mistrial. TW

Tellis was accused of killing a second person, 34-year-old Meing-Chen Hsaio of Taiwan, in July 2015. The exchange student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe was allegedly tortured to death to get her credit car PIN numbers. Tellis faces a first-degree murder charge in the Louisiana death.

Ms Arkansas,

Doubtless it will be another "in-situ" change in venue, with the trial remaining local while the jury is imported from a less affected part of the MS rolls. Expensive for sure, but out of consideration for the families involved on both sides of the aisle, the best choice with roughly equivalent outcome as far as eliminating local bias.

JMO,
Jacques

Jessica Chambers case: Defense accuses district attorney of misconduct, witness tampering
Published 3:03 p.m. CT July 3, 2018

The defense attorney in the Jessica Chambers murder trial is accusing the district attorney prosecuting the case of misconduct related to witness tampering.

Darla Palmer, the attorney for Quinton Tellis, claims District Attorney John Champion attempted to sway a witness to testify that Chambers would often refer to Tellis as "Eric," according to a motion and affidavit filed Monday.

[...]

I was just trying to find Tellis in Panola County records, to see if he had any pretrial hearings before his trial, and it came up with "No Results". Is he still in Louisana? or ??
Anyone know? County, State?

TIA!

I was just trying to find Tellis in Panola County records, to see if he had any pretrial hearings before his trial, and it came up with "No Results". Is he still in Louisana? or ??
Anyone know? County, State?

TIA!
BOMBSHELL IN The Jessica Chambers case!!
D.A. John Champion Accused of misconduct, witness tampering etc.
Go to Jessica Chambers Mystery!! For the story!
Thanks and pray for Jessica’s family

Jessica Chambers case: Defense accuses district attorney of misconduct, witness tampering
Published 3:03 p.m. CT July 3, 2018

The defense attorney in the Jessica Chambers murder trial is accusing the district attorney prosecuting the case of misconduct related to witness tampering.

Darla Palmer, the attorney for Quinton Tellis, claims District Attorney John Champion attempted to sway a witness to testify that Chambers would often refer to Tellis as "Eric," according to a motion and affidavit filed Monday.

[...]

Who is Jalen Asir Matthews-Caudle?
Sounds like another Panola County gang banger.

https://mississippi.arrests.org/Arrests/Jalen_Matthews-caudle_34280966/
Mother brings awareness to gun violence after son was shot and killed
Southaven murder suspect surrenders

I offered some suggestions earlier for ways the prosecution could undermine the "Phantom Eric" defense. Witness tampering was not one of them...

Regards,
Inspector Couseau

Monday, July 9th:
*Motion Hearing (@ CT) - MS - Jessica Lane Chambers (19) (Dec. 8, 2014) - Quentin Verdell Tellis (27) - indicted on 1st degree capital murder & 3rd degree arson; plead not guilty. 1st trial jurors were sequestered. 10 hrs of deliberations. First trial 7-5 guilty. Ended in mistrial.
Tellis was accused of killing a second person, 34-year-old Meing-Chen Hsaio of Taiwan, in July 2015. The exchange student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe was allegedly tortured to death to get her credit car PIN numbers. Tellis faces a first-degree murder charge in the Louisiana death.
7/3/18 Update: A new filing may derail the retrial for the foreseeable future, Tellis’ defense attorney, Darla Palmer, filed a motion and an affidavit yesterday with explosive accusations of “numerous ethical violations, prosecutorial misconduct [and] potential criminal violations” against prominent district attorney John Champion. The basis of the motion and supporting affidavit is that Champion allegedly tried to pressure another client of Palmer’s, Jalen Asir Matthews Caudle, charged with capital murder, to testify that Jessica Chambers used to refer to Quinton Tellis as “Eric.” motion filed yesterday, defense attorney Darla Palmer requested that the district attorney’s office be recused from prosecuting the Tellis case, that the retrial scheduled for the fall, be adjourned until the attorney general’s office has been appointed, and that “monetary sanctions/criminal contempt be imposed against District Attorney John Champion.” The DA’s office told Oxygen.com that it will not comment on this motion and that it will be heard next Monday July 9th.

Jessica Chambers Hearing

July 9, 2018

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member