MS - Jessica Chambers, Panola County, Dec 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was a lovely gesture and I don't classify it as a gift. He didn't purchase it. Shame it had to become public when IMO it was a kind gesture from a very kind man.

Kind man was the Judge. I really liked his handling of the trial and his courtroom. But it was informal and laid back so it very possible that he truly meant nothing by it other than being kind. We don't know story behind it. JMHO it shouldn't have happened.

It wouldn't be any different than someone in Vermont giving a curious visitor a bottle of locally produced Maple Syrup, IMO

Maple syrup is not associated with slavery. We are living in a highly charged, divisive time.......where even the most non-controversial things are highly controversial. Its just unfortunate that this happened. JMO

What is this all about? All I can say is that I’ve known Gerald Chatham for 50 years and he is the consummate professional. I can assure each one of you he meant nothing one way or the other by giving a reporter a stalk of cotton. Period.

From my obversations of the entire trial, this Judge was positively one of the best I have ever observed. He was congenial, decisive, allowed leeway to both sides, ruled correctly on all objections and points of law, and most of all, he protected the jury (no photos allowed of any juror, going so far as to find a photogapher in contempt right in the middle of the proceedings). Any attempt to impeach the honor of such a person is beyond the pale. JMO

FYI -- Panola is an Indian word for "Cotton" -- seems an appropos souvenir of a visit to Panola County to me.

Regardez-vous,
Clouseau

We do not know this for certain. LE knows, but they didn't tell us whether or not there was a call or text to an Eric or Derrick on his phone, if I recall correctly

Furthermore, we do not know who he called or texted at all during Jessica's naptime because they chose to remove/omit that information from the PowerPoint presentation/timeline.

Defense team would have been given a copy of all the state's discovery and they had QT's full list of calls and txts, as well as JC's.

No one from the defense team brought any other calls or texts up, which they could have done, which leads me to believe there was no "Eric" identified.

I was so thankful that it didn't present itself (race). That why I am disappointed in the whole situation about cotton plant. It gives chance to rope someone in. :gaah:

Unfortunately, there is a huge racial divide locally already with regard to QT’s guilt or innocence. Take a peek at WREG/Memphis FB page.

I found it interesting that the reporter posted this with no questions asked. It seems the media does that a lot lately. How can you be a reporter and not ask questions? How long would it have taken to simply ask the other reporter about the gesture before "getting the story out there"?

Maple syrup is not associated with slavery. We are living in a highly charged, divisive time.......where even the most non-controversial things are highly controversial. Its just unfortunate that this happened. JMO

With all due respect, I think you missed the point...

All jmo.

<modsnip>

Mimi, one day my sweet GD came to visit. She brought a cotton boll to me as a "gift" she obtained during a field trip. She was excited to tell me that the cotton boll had seeds in it. Once,I took my GDs on a steamboat cruise out of NOLA. We past the Domino Sugar factory. They were astonished to learn that sugar didn't simply appear on the grocer's shelf, but it had to first be processed in a factory.

We only have the side of the story from the media, that did not receive the Judge's gesture, as the reporter saw the stalks of cotton bolls inside the media tent.

It is insulting to surmise this Judge was "flirting". Rather, the subject may have been discussed, maybe the reporter drove past a cotton field and she expressed the beauty in the Land of Cotton. Hence, the Judge offered to bring her a "souvenir" that has now been called a "gift".

My own opinion

RBBM, I didn't surmise the Judge was "flirting" with anyone. I stated we do not know the back story, the article says the same. But in this situation, it just shouldn't have happened. At least during jury delib. Honestly I am surprised the Judge on case (and he is a former Pros) would even converse with anyone right now especially media

The way this young lady was killed was personal, with an attempt to destroy all evidence of two people being together. All that was left was the cellular phone evidence, witness statements, and charred clothing, and the victims statements. Circumstantial evidence is a slippery slope, and I'm not usually a fan of it. However, eye witness testimony is often less accurate. I feel like the state did a really good job of piecing together the circumstances of that awful day and evening. The jury has a difficult decision, but I have faith in them.

We are surrounded by cotton fields. I do not associate cotton with slavery. Slavery is in the past. (THANK GOODNESS). Cotton is really quite lovely to look at. It's often on display around these parts. Everything can be twisted, which I believe this gesture was.

Defense team would have been given a copy of all the state's discovery and they had QT's full list of calls and txts, as well as JC's.

No one from the defense team brought any other calls or texts up, which they could have done, which leads me to believe there was no "Eric" identified.

Agree with your first sentence.

And you're right, the defense didn't bring it up, but we've arrived at different conclusions.

With all due respect, I think you missed the point...

All jmo.

I understand the point, but if a Judge in Vermont gave a reporter maple syrup, no one would care what the souvenir was, their only objection would be that he gave the reporter anything at all. JMO

Tish Clark
@local24tish
·
2m
Lunch break over. Jury coming out to receive an additional instruction now #JessicaChambers @LocalMemphis

[video=twitter;919980275182047234]https://twitter.com/bchapman_WREG3/status/919980275182047234[/video]

Cathy
@CCLawNewz
·
21s
#JessicaChambers - Jury might be hung. Judge brought them in and told them to revisit their own views but not to surrender their convictions

Cathy
@CCLawNewz
·
21s
#JessicaChambers - Jury might be hung. Judge brought them in and told them to revisit their own views but not to surrender their convictions

Very much expected, unfortunately.

I understand the point, but if a Judge in Vermont gave a reporter maple syrup, no one would care what the souvenir was, their only objection would be that he gave the reporter anything at all. JMO

I just feel like the story and a lot of the comments are unfair to the judge... Because cotton means one thing to some doesn't mean that is what the judge meant by it...

All jmo.

Yes she did. I have to believe that anyone giving testimony is carefully guarding themselves so as not to end up like JC. My feeling is that this town let JC down. Many knew that JC and Q were together that day and night, but it seems no one was forthcoming with that info. Drug dealing and gang ties tend to keep people from telling the truth for fear of revenge. I would be very curious to know his street name, which I'm sure he has.

This is important information about the defendant and his affiliations. TOS prevents me from adding more in the news report. However, the pictures of QT, who had at least one street name " Go Hard".

Therese Apel, The Clarion-Ledger

.... criteria used by investigators to validate gang members, a look at Facebook shows the man accused in the burning death of Jessica Chambers could be a member of the Insane Vice Lords street gang. ....

In a series of photos posted that same day, a “VL” tattoo is clearly visible on his left arm, along with several five-pointed stars, which are also a symbol used by the Vice Lords....

In a Wednesday press conference, District Attorney John Champion confirmed Tellis is in a gang but did not specify which one.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...s-social-posts-tie-gang-affiliation/80844284/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?