Deceased/Not Found MS - Jimmie "Jay" Lee, 20, University of Mississippi student, drove away from apartment, Oxford, 8 Jul 2022

The hearing was held at 1:30 p.m. However, a judge postponed the bond hearing at the request of the defense.

The bond hearing is now scheduled to happen on Aug. 9 at 10 a.m. Herrington remains behind bars.

The hearing was held at 1:30 p.m. However, a judge postponed the bond hearing at the request of the defense.

The bond hearing is now scheduled to happen on Aug. 9 at 10 a.m. Herrington remains behind bars.

@Niner

Suspect's lawyer in Jimmie "Jay" Lee case: 'I'm just baffled' (wreg.com)
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The lawyer of the man charged with the murder of missing University of Mississippi student, Jimmie “Jay” Lee is proclaiming his client, Sheldon Herrington Jr., to be innocent.

Herrington is being represented by prominent Mississippi attorney Carlos Moore, who happens to be a relative.

Moore is calling for more transparency with the investigation and told WREG that he believes his client could be vindicated.

“If the person is dead, I hope they find the real killer, because they don’t have the person,” Moore said.

Herrington, 22, is a recent graduate of the University of Mississippi and has been charged with the murder of Lee, who is also a recent graduate of the college.

Oxford Police have not said how they came to the conclusion that Herrington is a suspect in the case.

Prior to the announcement of the arrest, OPD brought in local and national agencies to assist with the case. Investigators said they also issued dozens of search warrants on physical and digital properties.

Sheldon-Herrington.jpg

Lee’s body has yet to be discovered.

Moore confirmed with WREG that Herrington and Lee likely knew each other.
He also said he has several questions about the investigation.

“There is no body, there is no weapon, there is no blood,” Moore said. “How do we know there has been a murder committed? There is nobody there. There is no gunshots heard. I mean, nobody has seen a struggle or heard of a struggle. How do we know someone is dead, and how do they know that Timothy Herrington did it? I’m just baffled.”

Moore was previously married to Herrington’s aunt for 20 years and said he considers him as his nephew. Moore says he can vouch for Herrington’s character.

“I’ll be a zealous advocate cause I know, in my heart, he did not commit murder,” Moore said. “I know the type of young man he is. He does not have it in him to kill anyone. We gone vigorously defend him cause we believe he is innocent.”

Herrington is currently being held without bond
and is set to have a hearing next week.

12ft | Suspect charged with murder of missing Mississippi college student Jimmie Lee | The Independent
“If anyone knows anything or sees anything, say something,” his father Jimmie Lee Sr said in the video. “Contact law enforcement. Just tell them what you know. This is my plea that you help find my child.”

A CNN review of Mr Lee’s social media showed he identifies as a gay man but often dresses in women’s clothing and makeup.

the twitter hashtag for Jay: #JayLee - Twitter Search / Twitter
I suspect security cameras at the complex recorded JL entering the Molly Barr apartment building. I'm also guessing those same cameras did not capture imagines of JL willingly walking away from the building. I'll leave it at that.

LE then had at least possible suspects in the Molly Barr apt. bldg. and investigated it from there.
I think the arrest (without a body) would have not happened so quickly unless LE had gathered together LOTS of evidence.
JMO

Last edited:
I suspect security cameras at the complex recorded JL entering the Molly Barr apartment building. I'm also guessing those same cameras did not capture imagines of JL willingly walking away from the building. I'll leave it at that.

LE then had at least possible suspects in the Molly Barr apt. bldg. and investigated it from there.
I think the arrest (without a body) would have not happened so quickly unless LE had gathered together LOTS of evidence.
JMO
Is it known where the suspect lives? Does he live at Molly Barr apartments?

My initial thought was that he was to meet someone in the parking lot, perhaps got into that person’s car and then taken to a second location where he met his demise. Not impossible for something to happen at the apartment but seems it would be much harder to conceal a murder there. Even if drugged and no evidence of blood, still seems really hard to get a concealed/deceased person out of an apartment complex without being noticed.

Last edited:
OOOOOH WE GOT A BIG UPDATE

Herrington is no longer being represented by his uncle, Judge Carlos Moore.
Suspect in murder of Jimmie ‘Jay’ Lee faces judge in Oxford (actionnews5.com)

How about that, y'all!

EDIT: CNN was unable to determine whether Herrington has obtained an attorney as of Friday.
Jimmie "Jay" Lee: Suspect charged with murder in killing of missing University of Mississippi student - CNN

Probably a big part of that continuance... gotta wonder if the uncle saw the evidence and nope'd outta there!!

How about that, y'all!

EDIT: CNN was unable to determine whether Herrington has obtained an attorney as of Friday.
Jimmie "Jay" Lee: Suspect charged with murder in killing of missing University of Mississippi student - CNN

Probably a big part of that continuance... gotta wonder if the uncle saw the evidence and nope'd outta there!!
Oh wow! That is a big update! Hmmm…

Kevin Horan represented Herrington and was granted a continuance by Judge Gray Tollison.

In simple terms, what does a “continuance” in a US Court mean?? For those of us not familiar with that terminology please?

The Lafayette County District Attorney says Horan will represent Herrington going forward.

Yes possibly because the uncle has seen the evidence and possibly also so the family can’t “blame” him for the outcome????

Thanks for the update …

Kevin Horan represented Herrington and was granted a continuance by Judge Gray Tollison.

In simple terms, what does a “continuance” in a US Court mean?? For those of us not familiar with that terminology please?

The Lafayette County District Attorney says Horan will represent Herrington going forward.

Yes possibly because the uncle has seen the evidence and possibly also so the family can’t “blame” him for the outcome????

Thanks for the update …
I think a continuance just means a “stay” as in the court case is continued to another time because of whatever reason either side requests.

Is it known where the suspect lives? Does he live at Molly Barr apartments?
NAFAIK …. We haven’t been able to ascertain that as yet …. Needs to be investigated further …. As I have been wondering the same thing ….

Good point about the car park as a meeting location …. TBH I hadn’t thought of that …. I had thought possibly JL just entered a residence there at Molly Bar …..

Thanks for the update …
Uncle says he had a conflict on the day of the hearing....apparently something more important than defending his nephew on a murder charge, days after saying he would "vigorously" defend him....maybe he's no longer " baffled" as to how his nephew could be charged....

Uncle says he had a conflict on the day of the hearing....apparently something more important than defending his nephew on a murder charge, days after saying he would "vigorously" defend him....maybe he's no longer " baffled" as to how his nephew could be charged....
Maybe a combination of everything? Evidence and family issues? If I remember correctly, he’s an uncle via marriage but no longer married to Tim’s aunt? In a situation like that, I’d probably take a step back as well. Like someone else mentioned, that could cause a lot of strain when opinions start coming out about how to handle everything from now until whatever decision is made.

Thanks for that, and the article …..

Circuit Judge Grady Tollison granted a delay in the bond hearing after a request by attorney Horan, presumably to give the defense more time to confer with his client.

Hypothetically speaking, I think I would be most annoyed if my own defence asked for a delay in a bond hearing keeping me in prison longer when there was a chance I could get out ….

Does anyone think that is a little strange??? Surely his own team should be up to date on matters???

I would understand if the LE asked for a delay ….
imo

Jay Lee case: Sparse affidavit offers few new details - Mississippi Today
Jay Lee case: Court proceedings begin - Mississippi Today
Many students know both Lee and Herrington, who were involved in several of the same Black organizations on campus. That night, it seemed like students immediately took sides and started to speculate, said Braylyn Johnson, a recent graduate who lived with Lee during the pandemic.

“When they had (the police) announced on Friday that Jay was dead, they didn’t say anything, they just said they had arrested another student,” Johnson said. “That was a moment for people not to necessarily have their moment of grieving for Jay Lee – they took that as a moment to defend Tim.”

Johnson was at the courthouse on Wednesday for a protest she and other students had organized. An Instagram account called “Justice for Jay Lee!” encouraged people to come wearing bright colors, and Johnson brought hand-drawn signs and a cooler of water bottles. Two hours before the hearing, she was standing next to the lynching memorial by the courthouse, prepping her sign.

She said Lee – who was outspoken about the routine violence that trans and nonbinary people face everyday in Mississippi – would’ve organized a protest, too.

“Jay Lee would have spoken up for anyone,” she said. “‘Justice for Jay Lee?’ He would’ve done that 10 times.”

Around 12:30, three police officers walked Herrington up a sidewalk and into the side door of the courthouse.

Johnson ran up to Herrington.

“That was pretty sucky of you, Tim,” she shouted.

Inside the courthouse, Herrington’s family waited on the first floor in front of the metal detector. Once the courtroom opened, three university police officers parted the crowd to let Lee’s family through. Some of Lee’s family and friends wore white shirts printed with the words “Justice for Jay.”

Lee’s parents sat in the front row, his dad’s hand on his mom’s shoulder.

The judge started the proceeding. He warned everybody to turn their cell phones off because there were “a few more people than we’re used to” in the courtroom.

After the hearing, Herrington’s family left the courtroom first. One of his family members peered through the glass door to the courthouse as Johnson and more than a dozen of Jay’s friends and classmates marched in a circle and chanted “justice for Jay.” Some protesters drove down from Memphis.

Many of Lee’s friends are part of the LGBTQ community in Oxford who have found more acceptance here than in their hometowns. One of those students is Adrian Word, a junior at Ole Miss who is from Tishomingo. He identifies with Lee.

“Jay is a gay, Black male – so I am,” Word said. “The way I look at it, that could’ve been me. That could’ve been friends, that could’ve been anyone like me.”

Johnson said she feels like the LGBTQ community is “tolerated” but that Oxford and the university could do more. In particular, she took issue with the statement that Chancellor Glenn Boyce put out on Friday night to acknowledge Herrington’s arrest.

How about that, y'all!

I think you’re probably absolutely right.

And I’m lifting “nope’d outta there“ into my personal vocabulary

How about that, y'all!

THANK YOU FOR THIS UPDATE! Knowing that Moore was on the case for TH was really upsetting.

UM Graduate Suspected of Killing Jay Lee in Oxford Appears in Court (mississippifreepress.org)
The judge confirmed Herrington’s legal name and address in Hernando, Miss. as his residence.

So I looked, and Hernando is an hour from the apartments. Maybe they met at a friend's place at the Molly Barr apts or just used the parking lot as a meeting spot?

The reporter who wrote the linked story knew Jay personally and I hope she's doing okay.

I really hope they find him soon.

UM Graduate Suspected of Killing Jay Lee in Oxford Appears in Court (mississippifreepress.org)
The judge confirmed Herrington’s legal name and address in Hernando, Miss. as his residence.

So I looked, and Hernando is an hour from the apartments. Maybe they met at a friend's place at the Molly Barr apts or just used the parking lot as a meeting spot?

The reporter who wrote the linked story knew Jay personally and I hope she's doing okay.

I really hope they find him soon.
Thanks for the info …

So his business address is in Granada … and looking at the map Ole Miss and Molly Barr Trails are in the middle of the 2 places, on the right ….

Approximately an hour in each direction both north and south …between Hernando and Granada … That is a lot of land to cover.

I also hope they find JL soon ….

Is it strange not hear any updates from the Police regarding searches ???

Thanks for the info …

So his business address is in Granada … and looking at the map Ole Miss and Molly Barr Trails are in the middle of the 2 places, on the right ….

Approximately an hour in each direction both north and south …between Hernando and Granada … That is a lot of land to cover.

I also hope they find JL soon ….

Is it strange not hear any updates from the Police regarding searches ???
LE is keeping this one very quiet. But there actions speak pretty loud. If they were able to make an arrest, they must have some awfully good information tucked up their sleeves.

Thursday will be four weeks since Ole Miss student Jimmie “Jay” Lee went missing after leaving his Campus Walk apartment wearing a robe and slippers.

Two weeks later, a Grenada man and recent Ole Miss grad was officially charged with Lee’s murder; however, Lee’s body has not yet been found, according to Oxford Police Chief Jeff McCutchen.

“We are still working leads and searching for Mr. Lee’s body,” McCutchen said Tuesday morning. “We cannot comment on the specifics of the investigation at this time. What we can say is that we have a full team still working hard on this case. We are still asking the public for any help that might lead to locating Jay.”

Lee, who studied social work at Ole Miss, ran for Homecoming King in September on a platform of “self-love and living your truth.” He graduated with his bachelor’s degree in May and was planning on attending graduate school at Ole Miss this fall.

Investigators have not said how they were able to charge Sheldon Timothy Herrington Jr., 22, of Grenada with murder without a body since those are details of the case that have not yet been made public.

Sheldon-Timothy-Herrington-Jr..jpeg

Herrington appeared in court last week for his first-appearance hearing where the charge of murder against Herrington was formerly read by Circuit Court Judge Gray Tollison.

Herrington’s bond hearing was continued until 10 a.m. on Aug. 9 in Oxford at the request of his attorney Kevin Horan. Herrington is being held at the Lafayette County Detention Center until his bond hearing.

According to Herrington’s Facebook page, he is the owner of T&T Moving Co. and graduated from the University of Mississippi in May with a BBA in Real Estate. While at Ole Miss he served as treasurer for the UM Gospel Choir.

The case is expected to go before the grand jury in August for a formal indictment.

For any tips, contact OPD at 662-232-2400, UPD at 662-915-7234, CrimeStoppers at 662-234-8477, or direct message them on social media.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cellophane
Back