MS MS - Kaila Morris, 21, Columbus, Sept 2009

Ok I'm throwing my two cents in....

The biggest thing for me in this story is the fact that this young lady left her purse, money & credit cards . She was leaving with a friend to go across the state line to visit another friend and took none of this with her ? Not likely, that makes absolutely no sense what so ever. Then the stepdad is not sure if it was a van or an suv she got into...uh OK :waitasec:

It has been quite sometime now that she has been missing, surley one of her friends by now would recall a van or suv and who she would hang with.

How long before mom knew Kaila was not where she was supposed to be ? And did she return to find out or did dear old stepdad call her ?

I wonder when was the last time someone beside's her stepdad spoke to her and how long her mother was gone? Does not seem to be alot of details out at all.
I smell a load in the story SDad has given here...JMHO

there's a post on Kaila's Missing FB page which looks to be an update pasted in by commenter on behalf of Kaila's mom -- the pasted text says "The FBI is considering it a kidnapping."...that comment was posted on Sept.27.

anybody else finding anything that relates to Kaila's disappearance being a kidnapping?

The first thing I thought before I found out the stepdad is a creep is that Kaila got a ride to her friend LaBriska's with a boyfriend of Labriska.

But the stepdad not hearing who she was going with sounds a little too convenient to me.

I would love to hear LaBriska's take. If Kaila was going to see her that night, did L know about it ahead of time? If Kaila was truly getting a ride with someone, I think she would have told her friend, "So-and-so is picking me up and we'll be there at 8 p.m." Or something like that. If L didn't know that Kaila was coming over that night, that sends up a big flag for me. Well, another flag in a case full of them, IMO.

ITA with msyticrose on the purse situation. No way someone picks me up in their vehicle and I don't take anything with me. Has a cell phone been mentioned anywhere?

I would love to hear LaBriska's take. If Kaila was going to see her that night, did L know about it ahead of time? If Kaila was truly getting a ride with someone, I think she would have told her friend, "So-and-so is picking me up and we'll be there at 8 p.m." Or something like that. If L didn't know that Kaila was coming over that night, that sends up a big flag for me. Well, another flag in a case full of them, IMO.

ITA with msyticrose on the purse situation. No way someone picks me up in their vehicle and I don't take anything with me. Has a cell phone been mentioned anywhere?

I have not seen any where the mention of a cell phone. I've been looking and reading and so far nothing....

Walker wasn't expecting Kaila to visit that night but they often made unannounced visits. Kaila's cellphone hasn't been located and there haven't been any pings from it.
http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=3139

I will assume then that her phone is wherever she is, and the battery is dead or disabled. Not a good sign.

I live and work near the area where Kaila lived and disappeared. I sometimes have a gift, if you would call it that, of sensing, knowing things. Intuition. I passed on to a law enforcement friend what I had been picking up about Kaila before the psychic hired by Kaila's mother appeared on the scene. Might I say, too, I don't care how good he is, I find it absolutely unfathomable to charge a desperate family member in their time of grief. None of the volunteer searchers were paid for trying to find Kaila, so why should a psychic charge?

However, like the psychic said and was quoted by the mother in the Dispatch news article, Kaila being dead is what I, too, sensed, and passed on to my friend in law enforcement. However, unlike the psychic, I totally believe it was the stepfather, not strangers. I believed that and passed that info on before the news came out about his child *advertiser censored* and his previous rape and violent assault charges in the past became known.

I feel almost haunted by this crime. I never knew this girl, but she is a beautiful young lady full of life in her photos, and when discussing this crime later with a person who knows the family, I found out she was set to inherit a whole lot of money when she turned 21, supposedly. Her grandfather was very wealthy, and her grandmother is a lovely person, as is the mother, from all accounts of people I know who knew the family. Kaila was the light of both her grandmother's and her mother's life. No one's mentioned the money in the news, and maybe that story isn't true that she was about to inherit, but I've been told it is true by someone who would know. Kaila is listed as 21 now, but she was 20 about to turn 21 when she disappeared.

I passed on the information of what I had picked up, without trying to pick anything up about Kaila, to law enforcement, as mentioned, and that included that she was deceased, and her body is located near her home. I saw a field, and a piece of farm equipment that she is near. Unlike the psychic, I don't know if it was quick, or if she
appeared dead at first and wasn't. I saw that her face bore marks, red marks from being hit by something hard several times, blood, and bruising chin area. It was almost as if she had been in a wreck, although she wasn't, but she had in that brief instant I saw her, or what appeared to be her, facial contusions.

Possibly she was slammed against her car. The stepfather made a statement later that made my blood run cold. He stated that he remembered looking out the window and seeing her rummaging through her purse in her car, that she was standing beside the car with the door open, and was rummaging around it. In that instant of reading his statement, I saw her frantically trying to get to her cell phone with him, the stepfather, coming up from behind her. I believe he slammed her with a board, or hit her against the car.

More in next post.

When it first came to me about Kaila, unexpectedly, without my thinking about her, I was driving on Hwy 45 South, right below Columbus, my usual way to travel. It was night, and I was listening to the radio. It was storming a little, so all I was thinking was to get home. I was near the Lowndes County, Monroe County line, which is at the bridge on 45S. This area would be slightly above Caledonia's location, which is to the southwest at this location. I wasn't at the bridge. I was above that area a few miles. There's a farm there with fields, cattle. Right there is where I suddenly had the image of Kaila Morris in a field, and I felt it was out there not in that field, but across that field headed west, in another field adjoining this one perhaps.
What I saw was her on the ground, not buried, but covered. There was a metal piece of farm implement or something similar, near her or over her.
I saw the contusions on her cheeks and the chin. I knew it was the stepfather. All that came in a flash.

I still occasionally pass by that spot and still feel she is out there. I did pass this info on, not that I am right, but that any instincts, feelings, is better than nothing at all to go on. I had seen her photo on the missing poster, so knew it was her, although she looked a little different in the image I got. Her hair was different. She appeared more slender, too.

Then after telling law enforcement friend from another county about it, I happened to be in a place where people were discussing her disappearance. This person told me that they had a friend who saw and heard an unfamiliar vehicle, a truck, turn to go up on land that was not owned by that person, at night, and got stuck momentarily, from the sound of the wheels, in that field. That field is between Caledonia and Columbus, and I have to think of the road that I was told that the truck turned off of. The person witnessing this did not put it with the disappearance of Kaila at first, because no one knew she was missing at that point, but later he began to wonder if it was connected. Said the truck went out into the field and then went back out. Never happened again. However, it was dark and he did not see the truck color and was afraid it was people up to no good and did not go out to get a better view.

I passed this on to law enforcement friend as well, in case they are related to her disappearance. This was all in the time right after Kaila Morris disappeared.

Last night, Kaila's face returned to me again in a dream. She consistently kept appearing, and I usually don't dream like that about anybody. In my dream, she kept referring to her best friend, wanting to let her know something, but I couldn't make sense of it. Had to do with a butterfly and glass. Butterfly under glass. I don't know. It did not make sense. But she kept appearing, and maybe that's just me from worrying about her even though I don't even know her, or maybe she really wants to be found for the sake of her family and friends.

I'd like to believe she is alive. But all instincts and images I received is to the contrary.

Now, back to the stepfather, I went in and read the court documents, and all the other stuff about him. His past lust for women includes violent episodes of attacking them with rope to restrain them, as well as physical violence of hitting to subdue while trying to tie them up with rope. Then he rapes. He was found guilty of violent rape with one victim and then managed to talk his way into a new trial through political means, and by the second time his traumatized victim didn't show up for court. The other victim, the judge after the fact changed the charges from attempt rape to attempted assault, two very different things. He's used the system cleverly.

His charges were reduced thanks to money and lawyers, and he's a smooth talker. There have been multiple victims. It wasn't an isolated event. Child *advertiser censored* on his computer involved three and four year olds from what I read.
His wife and everyone keeps saying he's such a nice person, but what I read about him certainly doesn't sound like it.

I'd like to believe that he is the nice person his wife says he is, and he has friends who says he is, too. I really would like to believe he had nothing to do with this, but everything to me, says he does.

I don't pick this up by instinct on the cell phone, but by just looking at his experience in electronics and technical things, I would think that her cell phone is gone and doesn't give off pings because he took it and he knew how to dismantle it. I believe his story about her rummaging through her purse was because he knew they'd find her fingerprints all over the seats of that car on the side where he says he saw her with the car door open. Odd to me to say she was rummaging around and in her purse. He had all those details down. Has no idea of the vehicle that supposedly took her or of what she said when supposedly leaving or of the people she left with. Doesn't even know how many. You'd know if it was a crowd or not.

Hi, PGW,
I am a former Mississippian who originally joined Websleuths about an unsolved mystery in MS.
My take is that the stepfather must have injured her and then.....look at his MO.
I don't understand how the mother could have married him and thinks he is such a fine person. Maybe he came from somewhere else and fooled her?
Anyway, I don't post much, but I will try to help if I can. What a sad and puzzling case this is!
Jo

PGW: Do you know if LE ever searched the area you saw?
Is it on private property?

Do you know how to search property records?
Not that you should post it here or even go there.
In fact, do NOT go there.

But if you know the property owner, you might know if the step father
would know this place.

Is this place abandoned?

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=3139
Oct. 2, 2009 article.
This has been posted before.
But I am struck by the fact that Kaila is described as very shy, a homebody, a voracious reader.
She had her own condo with her stepbrother.
She went to school part time.
She had a job.
She had her own car. She liked to be the one to drive.
She had a dog.

She is visiting her mom's house. Her car is parked in front of the garage.
Step father says right before he went into the bathroom,
he says he saw Kaila rummaging in the right side of her car.
Her purse was found in her car. Her wallet was in the house.
He says he 'heard' Kaila talking, but not the words.
But he did 'see' the van.
Her best friend shows up 15 min. after she supposedly leaves in the van, looking for Kaila.
There is no cell phone reception at the house.
Contact with best friend through FB, but no talk of Kaila coming over to bf's house that day.

Mom, who is on vacation in Florida, talks with best friend through FB the next day and find no one has seen Kaila after she was said to have left in a van.

This seems fairly straightforward to me.

I look at a person's statements. Usually there is a ring of truth in there.
(Think of Casey A saying 'I know she's close.' And she certainly was.)

IMO:
Maybe Kaila and stepfather had an arguement or
she saw the child *advertiser censored*
and decided to leave.

He decides to do something about Kaila.
He is surprised by the best friend stopping by.
He just makes up a story; she left in a van to go to your house.

He has over a full day before he reports Kaila missing.

I don't know a whole lot on this, but this is what I was told by someone who was friends with Kaila's father - that the stepfather was friends with him before he died. I heard that Kaila's father was a really nice person, a good person. So undoubtedly he didn't know the guy's record, either. Kaila's mother at some point learned about the previous crime, because he was married to her when he hired the lawyer (from Columbus), on the case that ended up with the charges changed from attempted rape to attempted assault. The victim physically fought with the man to stop him from trying to restrain and rape her. That is my understanding of the situation.

Thank you, dreamweaver and TexasMist. I'm thinking the stepfather had been eying her for some time. He and his wife had not been married all that long when this happened.
I believe it was an attempted rape that went wrong. She fought back, and he went to far in the fighting, hence the image I saw of her with facial bruising/deep red places on the cheeks, and blood on the chin.

In answer to the question about the unusual truck that appeared in the field the night that Kaila actually ended up missing, yes, I gave the name of that road to law enforcement, and the approximate location. No, I don't know if they searched it, or not. I didn't ask. I don't ask my friend in law enforcement about that, because I realize there are things they cannot tell. All I did was pass it on. What I have not done is check to see if that road is in parallel with the area where I was when I first got the image of Kaila in that field. I am going to try to use google image map and things like that to see it. But I feel like the things I saw and felt are not what you would call accurate proof, as compared to what I heard from a friend whose friend had the experience with that truck appearing that night. No, it is not a place where people drive up to. It is private property. The truck did not follow a road, it went into the field, went uphill, got stuck, was there a short time, came back down and left, never returned. The person has never heard anybody go up there like that before, is my understanding. It also was not the owner of the land.

But yes, it was passed on to law enforcement with more particulars as it was told to me. I just didn't put all of them in here, to protect the people who told me and the people who experienced the truck. I don't even know who that person is, because they are not known to me, only to the friend who told me. It is not a busy road in that section, I was told. Not many houses in that section. Fields. Busier on the other end, however. The person was unsure of whether to report it, and the friend thought they should. So I passed it on.

No idea what kind of truck or time of night. The other people would know that. I don't think they know what type of truck, other than it was a truck. Not sure. It was dark, at night.

I do know it was the night that the stepfather claimed Kaila left.
It is in the Columbus area. I'm not very familiar with that road. I don't know where it is in relation to Kaila's mother's house or where that house is, actually.

Even though the mother says she doesn't believe her husband did it, and that she stands behind him, she didn't attend the arraignment for his *advertiser censored* charges, and neither did any other of her family members. He had no one there for him, is what I understand.

He's not been charged with Kaila's disappearance. The not guilty plea is what he's saying about the child *advertiser censored* on his computer.

I know that the person who experienced the truck visit that late night , said there was a house even closer to his own house where the truck went by, so perhaps there's more people out there who heard the sounds of the truck and can pinpoint it better.

Might not have anything to do with her, however.

I'd like to point out that Kaila was a college student, from what I understand, and her job was at the cookie counter in the mall. You can't buy a condo in Starkville on minimum wage, so it must be true that the family has a lot of money. But it sure is nice to read that she was a normal girl who believed in working. I wish there was a good outcome to this.

Thanks for keeping Kaila's story out there, PGW. I live in south Mississippi, and spend quite a bit of time in the Jackson area as well -- and I've heard nothing about Kaila since the intial report. I know the papers up there have been doing a better job of covering it, but it's frusterating to think *IF* she was alive (which I doubt at this point, but that's beside the point) no-one outside of her hometown's immediate vicinity is even aware she is missing. I hope that your information was helpful to LE, and Kaila's mother and friends can get some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaye 502
Back